Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one features player pursuit angles.

Quote:
"As you can see given the same situation as our previous example the defenders are not thrown off their angle by the direction changes. Long story short… the defenders do not fall for every direction change, but instead will move to intercept the ball carrier at a more logical location. This will really cut down on the effectiveness of “twitch” runs.

Also the new Player Pursuit will recognize a ball carrier pulling away from a slower defender and make them attempt a diving tackle. This creates more tackles and more realistic chase situations… more often than not a player will attempt a dive as a last ditched effort when they know they are falling behind, not just continue to follow the ball carrier.

That isn’t all; this new system has allowed us to have defenders sometimes take a bad angle using the Pursuit Rating (PUR) of the player. Bad pursuit is a part of football, not every player will play the perfect angle every play. So playing against lower rated players (or younger players with lower PUR) you will see them over run a play allowing the ball carrier to cut back against the gain and pick up some more yards."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 canes21 @ 03/26/09 09:09 PM
The main problem really isn't the bad angles the CPU makes. It is that the RB can make a 90 degree cut full speed in under a second.

# 82 nightcreeper @ 03/26/09 09:13 PM
yes im glad they fixed this... it was too easy to run a burn a whole team

# 83 marcoyk @ 03/26/09 09:16 PM
in ncaa football 09, a running back with 99 speed could run to the outside and break a 50+ yard TD run just about on demand. this was due to the computer's horrible pursuit.
in my dynasty, i recruited a 4-star 80 overall running back with 99 speed. he won the heisman and averaged something ridiculous like 30 yards per attempt. went unbeaten with north carolina and won a national championship. although it was somewhat fun, it was EXTREMELY unrealistic.
glad to see it being fixed.

# 84 deadlyCane @ 03/26/09 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
How's it beside the point? The vids are showing off a certain aspect of the game, nothing more. This vid was about pursuit angles, not the running mechanics, the OL/DL interaction, or anything else.

I'm not overly excited either, but I like what I see in terms of what they are showing me here. I'll reserve judgment on other facets of the game when they actually show them off.
First, I'm not telling anyone to not get excited. I'm only saying I WON'T GET TOO EXCITED YET. Second, for the guy who said most of us skeptics aren't hardcore, I don't claim to be hardcore. I just want a game that is in my mind a reasonable simile of football. One that follows football principles and real world physics. I don't have to be hardcore to have that expectation. I've seen it done for most part with the last two games produced by Visual Concepts and Take Two.

While I understand the vids are only showing one aspect of the game, they were preceded by a blog that had still pictures showing a pocket that was formed. I haven't seen any video evidence of such a pocket, anyone can doctor an image to show what they want. Now that they show a video of how they fixed the pursuit angles I still see the other issues that persisted. I have reasonable enough intelligence to realize they might not have worked on those other issues. At the same time I have no way of knowing that they ever will fix those other issues. That is why I keep stating I am happy about the direction. This pursuit angle issue was a BIG ONE FOR ME. And I'm glad they fixed it. I still am going to reserve my excitement until I see everything.

Maybe I'm a bit too skeptical but I find it odd that they would claim to have fixed issues such as the pocket yet show a video of fixed pursuit angles using the broken OL/DL pocket engine of '09. At least when Ian posts his Madden videos he isolates the issue he is trying to fix by only showing that particular issue. If they can't do this on a particular issue I would at least expect them to state that they are showing the fixed pursuit angles while using the engine from last year. Ian does a good job of this. With all that silent I am not going to give EA the benefit of the doubt. Sorry but they have to do more to earn that. Just the way I feel.

And yes, I have a right to hold the opinion that most of you are easily satisfied or pacified. Sorry, I'll remain a skeptic until I see more. I work for my money so should EA.

# 85 jdrhammer @ 03/26/09 09:24 PM
I agree with my boy Plex. There are still things I loathe about 09 but I've played it thru longer than any other version. There are plenty of major and minor details I'd like to see implemented but overall Def. AI was a huge concern of mine(we created most of our House Rules to aid the stupid D) and pursuit angles plus WR/DB interaction will be huge. Those will make a game seem so much more realistic. Then we get the pocket, so maybe we can get that extra second occasionally to let the WR do his thing with the DB.

I'm a big stickler for detail so I really want to have more options off the field too like picking whether my team wears white or black shoes/socks and mixing and matching all possible uni combos. That's important to me so I see where some guys want more detail.

I'm really hoping they tell us they have re-worked cpu AI when it comes to depthchart/roster requirements and get the best on the field as well as recruit adequately. No more 12 QB's on the roster but 7 total OL. Stupid. You're killing me.

I think we're getting there.

# 86 deadlyCane @ 03/26/09 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The main problem really isn't the bad angles the CPU makes. It is that the RB can make a 90 degree cut full speed in under a second.
And if people read my previous posts they'll see this is one of main concerns. How can I get overly excited when I still see this. If EA thinks simply changing the pursuit angles make it realistic without changing the runner's ability to change direction at high speed I'll be highly disappointed. Likewise if they don't change the acceleration/deceleration when changing direction. All these go hand in hand with the pursuit angles.

It makes little sense to show an improved pursuit angle video with all those other flaws in there unless you state you are working on those things. Like I wrote, they all go hand in hand to create a more realistic experience. Playing arcade ball gets frustrating old real fast.

I also see some other poster with a good point about hoping EA doesn't over compensate to the point we never see long runs. They have a history of over-compensating. Comments like these as well as mine are intended to make the game better, not criticize the developers.

# 87 deadlyCane @ 03/26/09 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrhammer
I'm really hoping they tell us they have re-worked cpu AI when it comes to depthchart/roster requirements and get the best on the field as well as recruit adequately. No more 12 QB's on the roster but 7 total OL. Stupid. You're killing me.

I think we're getting there.
Actually yesterday OMT/Russell confirmed the fixed this in the Chat with the Producer thread Russell started. Definitely some welcome news.

EDIT: I went back and checked and it looks like OMT's post only deals with the cpu's depth chart management, not necessarily cpu recruiting. Check out post 103 here for the details: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-chat-11.html

# 88 miami01 @ 03/26/09 09:48 PM
I am glad they fixed this. I have to admit though, I abused this a lot.

# 89 mmorg @ 03/26/09 09:49 PM
Considering the DB/WR interaction isn't in there and obviously the OL/DL doesn't look any different, I'm going to go ahead and say this was probably one of the first changes in game play they made for NCAA 2010 and that's why the videos look "bad". Simply for the reason that this video is to show off pursuit angles and nothing else. Since the Madden Team is changing player physics for Madden 10 I can only hope NCAA 2010 will be doing it as well and it will change the role speed plays in the game.

I'm still a skeptic about this years installment in the NCAA series, and Madden, but it is looking better every week and I am actually starting to look forward to both Football titles this year.

# 90 countryboy @ 03/26/09 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
First, I'm not telling anyone to not get excited. I'm only saying I WON'T GET TOO EXCITED YET. Second, for the guy who said most of us skeptics aren't hardcore, I don't claim to be hardcore. I just want a game that is in my mind a reasonable simile of football. One that follows football principles and real world physics. I don't have to be hardcore to have that expectation. I've seen it done for most part with the last two games produced by Visual Concepts and Take Two.
And I guess from the few pictures and two videos, you have determined that the final product will not meet your expecatations?

Quote:
While I understand the vids are only showing one aspect of the game, they were preceded by a blog that had still pictures showing a pocket that was formed. I haven't seen any video evidence of such a pocket, anyone can doctor an image to show what they want. Now that they show a video of how they fixed the pursuit angles I still see the other issues that persisted. I have reasonable enough intelligence to realize they might not have worked on those other issues. At the same time I have no way of knowing that they ever will fix those other issues. That is why I keep stating I am happy about the direction. This pursuit angle issue was a BIG ONE FOR ME. And I'm glad they fixed it. I still am going to reserve my excitement until I see everything.
Exactly, you don't know. Why not wait until we start seeing videos of the entire game in motion, before jumping off the deep end that things aren't fixed? Its like complaining that a cake doesn't taste right when all you've done is mixed the batter. Gotta put things together to achieve a final product. All they were doing were showing off the pursuit angles, and apparently they were using the '09 demo to do so. I think we should take the vid for what it is and wait for vids showing off other things. We already know that OL/DL is still being worked on.

Quote:
Maybe I'm a bit too skeptical but I find it odd that they would claim to have fixed issues such as the pocket yet show a video of fixed pursuit angles using the broken OL/DL pocket engine of '09. At least when Ian posts his Madden videos he isolates the issue he is trying to fix by only showing that particular issue. If they can't do this on a particular issue I would at least expect them to state that they are showing the fixed pursuit angles while using the engine from last year. Ian does a good job of this. With all that silent I am not going to give EA the benefit of the doubt. Sorry but they have to do more to earn that. Just the way I feel.
Its already been stated that they are still working on the OL/DL interaction. Again, I don't know why people tend to see the vids for more than they are.

Quote:
And yes, I have a right to hold the opinion that most of you are easily satisfied or pacified. Sorry, I'll remain a skeptic until I see more. I work for my money so should EA.
Yes, you do have a right to hold that opinion, but I also have the same right to hold the opinion that you're going to bitch and moan about every and anything you can find. And nothing wrong with remaining skeptical until you see more. But its funny, you'll hold back praising them until you see more, but have no issue with complaining about things you really have no clue as to whether or not they are fixed.

And with this, I'm done discussing this with you. Hope the game either lives up to your expectations or fails miserably, whichever you're hoping happens.

Take care...

# 91 deadlyCane @ 03/26/09 10:24 PM
CountryBoy, what is your problem. Didn't I say that I am reserving my excitement until I see more? Why can't you just accept that I am not as excited as you after seeing a few pictures and a couple vidoes? Are you that simple minded that you can't understand not everyone is going to see it your way or is your intention to shove your belief down other people's throat?

Good lord, if you want to make up your mind after what you've seen go for it. It takes me longer. Deal with it. NOTHING you write will change that.

And don't cheers me. We're not friends. Quit trying to tell me how to think. I don't live in your communist world.

# 92 greenegt @ 03/26/09 10:30 PM
Great blog. I'm getting more pumped by the day.

# 93 SHO @ 03/26/09 10:32 PM
Semi-OT: You know what bothers me? The easily impressed people coming down on people on the party poopers for not feeling the same way they do. I've seen a lot of it lately and no one is saying a word.

# 94 deadlyCane @ 03/26/09 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
Semi-OT: You know what bothers me? The easily impressed people coming down on people on the party poopers for not feeling the same way they do. I've seen a lot of it lately and no one is saying a word.
Yeah, it's like people are going to crucify others for not sharing their opinion. Even going to the extent of lecturing people and twisting their words. I wrote that I am reserving my excitement and it's magically interpreted as I am judging the final product without seeing it or saying the cake is bitter just by tasting the batter. At least it was something like that, can't be bothered to reread that. Yet those are the same people who are rushing to open their wallets to EA without seeing a final product. Doesn't make sense to me.

# 95 jdrhammer @ 03/26/09 11:33 PM
Quote:
Yeah, it's like people are going to crucify others for not sharing their opinion. Even going to the extent of lecturing people and twisting their words. I wrote that I am reserving my excitement and it's magically interpreted as I am judging the final product without seeing it or saying the cake is bitter just by tasting the batter. At least it was something like that, can't be bothered to reread that. Yet those are the same people who are rushing to open their wallets to EA without seeing a final product. Doesn't make sense to me.
There are going to be so many different opinions. I'm highly suspect, but at the same time I'm pleased with what we have so far. I'm not giving them a gold star yet but I do like what I've seen. The one thing I've learned about message boards is you'll get criticized to the bone regardless. Don't worry about it. No one's completely right or wrong. It's all based on opinion so...

I hate being raked over the coals for no good reason myself. Some will be pleased more easily than others and they'll fight to no end. Then again, someone will be pissed to no end over a small detail not being added. Your reason for holding out on EA is a very legit one. Recovery times when people go down or change direction needs some serious attention. Especially on a pass rush or most times the ball carrier has the ball.

# 96 therizing02 @ 03/26/09 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
this now make 3 of my top 5 gameplay issues are either fixed or being worked on. OL/DL play, WR/DB play, and now pursuit angles. NCAA 10 is looking good so far.
I'm going to guess and say that CPU AI is one of your final two Ice.

For me, this is number 1. If this series is released again this year without adaptive AI and no deep throws by the CPU I'll be disgusted....again.

If I have a freshman CB in BnR coverage on a faster All American WR, there better be an audible by the CPU taking this rookie deep. There is no risk to missing any defensive play call. This *hit has got to stop.

Also, there was NO excuse and it was appalling last year to watch the CPU run that stupid Read play, that this was the main reason I took the game back in December.

The pursuit angles videos show progress. Hopefully this helps negate the all important speed rating cheat in NCAA.

I also would like to see the CPU QB roll out right and the physically impossible zip throwback to the left eliminated from the game.

# 97 adembroski @ 03/26/09 11:47 PM
Quote:
I admit they are working towards this. The point I'm making is that other issues still persist. The running back cutting and accelerating like they did in the videos are still a problem. No human can do that. It is anatomically impossible, not to mention defies the laws of physics. This is all part of gameplay. Fixing that helps to fix gameply. The 2k games had this right. What EA showed in those videos just shows they still haven't gotten it yet. Perhaps they are working on that part but I can only judge on what I've seen so far. until they show me they have fixed that I'm not going to get too excited.
Just because I love to shoot down the over-zealous 2k glorifies who think that it had branching animations and perfect physics, I popped in 2k5 and APF and tried this... and it worked just fine In fact, that twitchy game play is exactly why many people didn't switch to it from Madden. That was one of the major points of contention between the two schools of Football Gamer was Madden's (last gen) far superior inertia physics.

You guys need to stop looking back at that game with rose colored glasses, it wasn't perfect. I still own it, I still play it, that's proof of the high regard in which I hold the game, but quit lying about it to make your point.

# 98 Solidice @ 03/26/09 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I'm going to guess and say that CPU AI is one of your final two Ice.

For me, this is number 1. If this series is released again this year without adaptive AI and no deep throws by the CPU I'll be disgusted....again.

If I have a freshman CB in BnR coverage on a faster All American WR, there better be an audible by the CPU taking this rookie deep. There is no risk to missing any defensive play call. This *hit has got to stop.

Also, there was NO excuse and it was appalling last year to watch the CPU run that stupid Read play, that this was the main reason I took the game back in December.

The pursuit angles videos show progress. Hopefully this helps negate the all important speed rating cheat in NCAA.

I also would like to see the CPU QB roll out right and the physically impossible zip throwback to the left eliminated from the game.
yeah that was it. I'm pretty much 99.9% Dynasty mode player, whether offline, or now with the online dynasty. I am still able to play '09, but I have to use so many house rules, that it's not really much fun anymore. I kind of split the AI in 2 parts so it was basically my other 2 gameplay items.

# 99 deadlyCane @ 03/27/09 04:17 AM
adembroski, at the risk of turning this into a 2k vs EA thread, just to clarify my 2k reference, what I am talking about is the ability of the runner to change direction running at full speed. In Madden and NCAA any runner can do that in what seems to be an unnatural way, at least to me anyway. In the 2k games, many times you'll see the runner decelerate to do some of those rapid change of direction. The lesser the agility rating the more decleration. They then have to accelerate again. Sometimes if you turn too rapidly they'll even put their hand on the ground for balance. This is more pronounced in 2k8 than 2k5.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying the 2k games don't have their flaws. I've just started playing and am seeing some things I don't like. It's always been a case of the more I play a sports game the more I see things I don't like. Nevertheless the area of running with the ball is one area where I prefer the 2k games over the EA games. It took a while for the 2k games to grow on me but I've come to realize I like them better than the EA games. I play NCAA due to the being a huge college fan and because of the OD. I'm keeping an eye on Madden this year because Ian has shown some stuff I like. Chances are I'll buy but I won't know for sure yet until I see more. I don't want to derail this thread into a 2k vs EA thread so I'll leave it at that.

jdhammer, I agree with everything you wrote in your post.

# 100 adembroski @ 03/27/09 04:28 AM
Quote:
adembroski, at the risk of turning this into a 2k vs EA thread, just to clarify my 2k reference, what I am talking about is the ability of the runner to change direction running at full speed. In Madden and NCAA any runner can do that in what seems to be an unnatural way, at least to me anyway. In the 2k games, many times you'll see the runner decelerate to do some of those rapid change of direction. The lesser the agility rating the more decleration. They then have to accelerate again. Sometimes if you turn too rapidly they'll even put their hand on the ground for balance. This is more pronounced in 2k8 than 2k5.
What is happening in the "twitch" vid is those short little back and forth zig zags... and I was able to replicate that exactly in 2k5 and APF. Yes, they both have tighter turn animations than Madden, but keep in mind that they were totally non-existant until 2k5... 2k4, 2k3 and down the line didn't have physics at all. The 2k5 physics were sketchy and unreliable at best.

I'm not dogging the game, it's an awesome game. All I'm saying is that we tend to put it on this pedestal as the pinnacle of sports gaming that it doesn't quite belong in.

Quote:
Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying the 2k games don't have their flaws. I've just started playing and am seeing some things I don't like. It's always been a case of the more I play a sports game the more I see things I don't like. Nevertheless the area of running with the ball is one area where I prefer the 2k games over the EA games. It took a while for the 2k games to grow on me but I've come to realize I like them better than the EA games. I play NCAA due to the being a huge college fan and because of the OD. I'm keeping an eye on Madden this year because Ian has shown some stuff I like. Chances are I'll buy but I won't know for sure yet until I see more. I don't want to derail this thread into a 2k vs EA thread so I'll leave it at that.
I'm honestly not a big fan of the twitchy running at all. 2ks I like much better than NextGen madden has been to this point... but Last-Gen Madden didn't have that problem. I mentioned that play editor was one of the reasons I stuck with Madden when 2k5 came out... player inertia and physics were the other reason.

The areas where I felt 2k excelled were presentation (although, to be honest, I'm not a fan of the on-field player audio, and I absolutely detest the post-game interviews), and blocking... and blocking was the main reason for 2ks dominance in the running game dept imho.

And you can't have a Madden vs. 2k argument with me for real because I know which is the better game. I have very particular aspects of Madden that tip the balance for me, so I prefer it (last gen anyways), but I know I haven't played a Madden that's better than 2k5.

APF, that's a whole different ball game. The balance was so shot in that game it's pathetic.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.