Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA has posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one features player pursuit angles.

Quote:
"As you can see given the same situation as our previous example the defenders are not thrown off their angle by the direction changes. Long story short… the defenders do not fall for every direction change, but instead will move to intercept the ball carrier at a more logical location. This will really cut down on the effectiveness of “twitch” runs.

Also the new Player Pursuit will recognize a ball carrier pulling away from a slower defender and make them attempt a diving tackle. This creates more tackles and more realistic chase situations… more often than not a player will attempt a dive as a last ditched effort when they know they are falling behind, not just continue to follow the ball carrier.

That isn’t all; this new system has allowed us to have defenders sometimes take a bad angle using the Pursuit Rating (PUR) of the player. Bad pursuit is a part of football, not every player will play the perfect angle every play. So playing against lower rated players (or younger players with lower PUR) you will see them over run a play allowing the ball carrier to cut back against the gain and pick up some more yards."

Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 FlyingFinn @ 03/27/09 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Question...

How polished are these vids? Are they from the final build? Are they exactly what we'll be playing?
To think the game will be radically different then these vids is a bit naive... What you see is what you get other then some tuning.

# 102 FlyingFinn @ 03/27/09 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
All I'm saying is that we tend to put it on this pedestal as the pinnacle of sports gaming that it doesn't quite belong in.
It belongs on that pedestal because no other football game has dethroned it yet...

# 103 QuietStorm627 @ 03/27/09 07:55 AM
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. Been playing NCAA since 03 so Im not new to the game. I figured I could help with something. I work in the broadcast design industry( making commercials etc.) and what I see here is the same issues that we run into when creating visuals for clients. You have to be able to use your imagination and focus on what is being presented to you and not only what you see. For example if Im creating a Kellog's commercial and the new box hasn't been released yet, I still have to present something until I get the final picture of the box. You are left no choice but to use a surrogate picture that may not be the same brand but is of the same shape that only serves as a placeholder to help you see what it "will" look like. The client will say "THATS NOT OUR PRODUCT!!" after you clearly explained that it's just a placeholder so they can get an idea of the direction you are trying to go. So basically one part of the EA team(let's use design) is saying we want to show the pursuit angle, the animation side is like ok we aren't done. The design team says ok we still want to give the people an idea, so let's take what we have( 09 animations for OL/DL, running, etc. etc. as the placeholder) so we can get something out there.

In football terms, if a the team is split up into O and D at practice and your number #1 CB is working on his jamming skills, Do you take your #1 reciever out of his drills and have him perform a menial task like that? Or do you grab somebody on the bench to act as the wideout? The guy on the bench is the placeholder serving a purpose so that the intended idea can still get through.

I think what happens is that the posters on this board are not familiar with the visual/creative industries and think these are regular 9-5 jobs. There are alot of weekends and overnight stays. More than likely there is a period at EA called hell week where they sleep under their desks overnight for about a week to crank this thing out. So trust me its alot of time left and it's still very early, because of how much constant work is being put in. Heck while some of us in the same time zone are sleep in our beds there is someone at EA with bloodshot eyes working on formation subs( you guys didn't think I was gonna not get my request in did you? lol). So be excited about the changes because they were shown in the other videos, be able to use your imagination and combine the videos in your head. Your looking at placeholder animations to save time and have you focus in on a specific point. Heck we are more than lucky they are even letting us see WIPs, most creative people don't like people seeing anything they do until its final. I hope I helped someone who may be getting discouraged

# 104 countryboy @ 03/27/09 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
To think the game will be radically different then these vids is a bit naive... What you see is what you get other then some tuning.
that was my point.

# 105 Exonerated @ 03/27/09 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Its the 09 build with an 10 update.

To hide their new features for NCAA 10, they had to use NCAA 09 build but implement their NCAA 10 pursuit angle.

Its the same thing they did with the camera angle screen shot. The one with no pocket vs the one with a pocket.

To think the game will be not radically different from these vids is a bit naive...

To think they will reveal all their new features in a 10 second vid and ruin their 3 month plan about marketting is very naive.

# 106 tylerd02 @ 03/27/09 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

To hide their new features for NCAA 10, they had to use NCAA 09 build but implement their NCAA 10 pursuit angle.

Its the same thing they did with the camera angle screen shot. The one with no pocket vs the one with a pocket.

To think the game will be not radically different from these vids is a bit naive...

To think they will reveal all their new features in a 10 second vid and ruin their 3 month plan about marketting is very naive.

I agree

# 107 mjussawalla @ 03/27/09 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietStorm627
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster. Been playing NCAA since 03 so Im not new to the game. I figured I could help with something. I work in the broadcast design industry( making commercials etc.) and what I see here is the same issues that we run into when creating visuals for clients. You have to be able to use your imagination and focus on what is being presented to you and not only what you see. For example if Im creating a Kellog's commercial and the new box hasn't been released yet, I still have to present something until I get the final picture of the box. You are left no choice but to use a surrogate picture that may not be the same brand but is of the same shape that only serves as a placeholder to help you see what it "will" look like. The client will say "THATS NOT OUR PRODUCT!!" after you clearly explained that it's just a placeholder so they can get an idea of the direction you are trying to go. So basically one part of the EA team(let's use design) is saying we want to show the pursuit angle, the animation side is like ok we aren't done. The design team says ok we still want to give the people an idea, so let's take what we have( 09 animations for OL/DL, running, etc. etc. as the placeholder) so we can get something out there.

In football terms, if a the team is split up into O and D at practice and your number #1 CB is working on his jamming skills, Do you take your #1 reciever out of his drills and have him perform a menial task like that? Or do you grab somebody on the bench to act as the wideout? The guy on the bench is the placeholder serving a purpose so that the intended idea can still get through.

I think what happens is that the posters on this board are not familiar with the visual/creative industries and think these are regular 9-5 jobs. There are alot of weekends and overnight stays. More than likely there is a period at EA called hell week where they sleep under their desks overnight for about a week to crank this thing out. So trust me its alot of time left and it's still very early, because of how much constant work is being put in. Heck while some of us in the same time zone are sleep in our beds there is someone at EA with bloodshot eyes working on formation subs( you guys didn't think I was gonna not get my request in did you? lol). So be excited about the changes because they were shown in the other videos, be able to use your imagination and combine the videos in your head. Your looking at placeholder animations to save time and have you focus in on a specific point. Heck we are more than lucky they are even letting us see WIPs, most creative people don't like people seeing anything they do until its final. I hope I helped someone who may be getting discouraged
I 100% understand what you are trying to say. However, I think many people who have doubts are basing it on our experience with the product.

I know the people working on the game give it their all. But from my perspective it just seems as if EA has put fewer resources into this game compared to previous years.

Just my 2 cents.

# 108 stoncold32 @ 03/27/09 10:59 AM
Quote:

What?!?!?!?! You're making sense....how dare you!

# 109 FlyingFinn @ 03/27/09 11:27 AM
Quote:

To think they would take the time and resources to duplicate fixes in a dead code branch just to not show off new features seems a little naive to me... at least from a software engineer's perspective.

# 110 rudyjuly2 @ 03/27/09 11:29 AM
Sounds good.

# 111 RGiles36 @ 03/27/09 01:35 PM
Quote:

Is their confirmation of this? I have a feeling that you're correct, but I have not read where EA/Tiburon confirmed this.

# 112 noplace @ 03/27/09 01:46 PM
Looks like same ole DL/OL interaction. Oh well this is what I expected. They cant do it....Atleast they fixed those stupid twitch angles. That was on some Atari shyt....

# 113 GigemAGGIES13 @ 03/27/09 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Is their confirmation of this? I have a feeling that you're correct, but I have not read where EA/Tiburon confirmed this.
If this is the 10 build, than it's likely we won't be seeing the new weighted physics that Madden is getting. They weren't in those videos.

# 114 the onizzle @ 03/27/09 03:47 PM
Quote:

Awesome post. Thanks for the insight, b/c while I want to believe they're turning the corner I have a chip on my shoulder. I call my condition "cautiously optimistic".

# 115 RGiles36 @ 03/27/09 04:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Quote:
I don't think thats a NCAA 10 build. Its an 09 build with 10 tech. To preserve their marketting of new features they showed an 09 build.

Thats the most reasonable conclusion I've come up with. So Imo, you're just analysing whats wrong with NCAA 09. Have these things been fixed? I don't know. But lets not jump the gun.
Nevermind, I answered my own question. The way you put it initially is that you had confirmation. Then I later read it's just your opinion . I still agree with those sentiments as it makes sense. I'm just used to others distinguishing fact from opinion.

# 116 deadlyCane @ 03/27/09 05:19 PM
QuietStorm, I understand your post and it makes perfect sense. However, I don't think this was the issue with some of us. I always thought the possibility of this was there. The problem is that some of us are so skeptical of EA that giving them the benefit of the doubt is very difficult. We've been told in previous years that the latest rendition of the game is going to be better than the previous years, then it hit the shelves, you play it and then get disappointed. This leads to skepticism or as someone else put it, cautious optimism. The point of your post is well taken though.

Perhaps the NCAA team can take a page out of Ian's approach. He has done a very good job of explaining things in his blogs as to not cause confusion with what he is demonstrating. If the NCAA guys used an '09 build to show off the improvement in pursuit angles they should have explained that. They have to understand that a good percentage of us are already skeptical. Because of this, claiming you have fixed OL/DL (specifically pocket passing) and other issues and then following it up by showing a video with the same issues doesn't bode well for your credibility unless it is explained. People then becomes more skeptical. Ian over at Madden has done a great job of understanding this concept.

Quote:

# 117 icomb1ne @ 03/27/09 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
GUYS ITS A 10 BUILD
Confirmation?

# 118 the onizzle @ 03/27/09 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icomb1ne
Confirmation?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ers-chime.html

Pg 1, he says "it's the most current build we have"

# 119 icomb1ne @ 03/27/09 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the onizzle

Well...sh*t

# 120 SHO @ 03/27/09 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the onizzle

SMH.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.