Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ChampIsHere42 @ 04/30/09 01:38 AM
please tell me with all of this focus on the pileups and fumbles that there wont be too many fumbles in this game.

# 82 SouthernBrick @ 04/30/09 01:56 AM
Thanks. Glad everyone can get what they want. Thats what its all about.

# 83 Vikes1 @ 04/30/09 02:22 AM
Button mashing for fumble...optional. Great news Ian...thank you.

I'm not really into button mashing. So this is more than welcome news. Thanks again Ian, for bothering to consider everyones preferences.

# 84 cam21224 @ 04/30/09 02:28 AM
This news is wavy good.

YEAH!!!! No button mashing for me.

# 85 R9NALD9 @ 04/30/09 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

number 4 is absolutely a must, otherwise I'll turn the meter off. It will be absolutely dumb and ruin the whole experience if I see one teams players falling on the ball first and the other team winning it.

# 86 Axeler @ 04/30/09 02:54 AM
What about moving the analog stick back and forth or in circles to get the fumble? That would take turbo controllers out of the equation.

Or maybe instead of mashing a button you have to hit a certain set of buttons at the correct time. Like those quick time events in God of War. I think those QTE's are a little more interesting than, just mashing a button a hundred times.

Thanks for giving folks the option to turn it off though.

# 87 brza37 @ 04/30/09 03:47 AM
I like it.
Customization is king!

# 88 gotti1914 @ 04/30/09 05:44 AM
I think you did too much to ratify something that has not been used yet...but the option to turn it on or off was a great idea...

# 89 FlyingFinn @ 04/30/09 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Button mashing for fumble...optional. Great news Ian...thank you.

I'm not really into button mashing. So this is more than welcome news. Thanks again Ian, for bothering to consider everyones preferences.
But it is not really button mashing (think the old Track and Field games). I think it is more like a puzzle game where you have to press the button that flashes on screen as soon as possible.

# 90 wolfpack @ 04/30/09 08:42 AM
I haven't seen this question asked about fumbles yet:

Will there be instances where one or two players jump on the ball, but it squirts away from one or both of them a few yards... with the possiblity of this happening a few more times in a row. The chances of this happening should go up if it is raining or snowing.

This would be really cool, but it would mean another reason for the 'pile up' cutscene to not get triggered right away just because a few people dive at the ball at the same time.

# 91 TheWatcher @ 04/30/09 08:43 AM
Quote:

Yes!!! Yes!!!

See now Ian, that's what I'm talking about! That's how you do it!

Now if we could just translate that customization to the playcall screen, lol. Just kidding(well, not completely)

Excellent call.

# 92 callmetaternuts @ 04/30/09 08:46 AM
Those sound like some good (and needed) changes or additions. Should add a lot to the game. The bonus for getting there first is a must, but anyone can end up with the ball. I know we see the ball get given away 2-3 times it seems on a replay (irl).

Great job Ian (and co). Thank as always for keeping us updated and for continually holding your feet to the flames. IMO, this is what was missing, there is accountability now, whereas in years past, with no interaction and the community largely being ignored, there were no great expectations, and once the game dropped, outside of a few hype interviews, you guys (meaning EA in whole) could just ignore us.

But with this interaction, you cant ignore us, nor should we ignore you and your teams effort.

# 93 green94 @ 04/30/09 09:01 AM
Wow. Another notch in the belt. Good job Ian.

# 94 Netherscourge @ 04/30/09 09:02 AM
Quote:

Sounds perfect to me.

# 95 DolfanDave @ 04/30/09 09:17 AM
If this has already been mentioned then disregard but I believed the 'button mashing' shouldn't be based on how fast you press a button but based on keeping 'in sync' with the meter. That way it alleviate the turbo controller advantage.

# 96 Matt Diesel @ 04/30/09 09:46 AM
I didnt know it was actual button mashing. I though it was patterning. My bad. As always, options for everything are the way to go. Thanks.

# 97 wordtobigbird @ 04/30/09 10:30 AM
off topic:

ive never seen a turbo 360 controller.. last time i saw a turbo controller was in the ps2/n64 days.

# 98 Badboy49er @ 04/30/09 11:04 AM
Sounds great Ian, seems like you covered everything. Hopefully all this can make it in. Would make a world of difference on a great feature IMO

# 99 Valdarez @ 04/30/09 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
off topic:

ive never seen a turbo 360 controller.. last time i saw a turbo controller was in the ps2/n64 days.
There are hacks for making the RT/LT buttons turbo, and there's the Hori Turbo Controller which has 3 speed settings for the buttons.

http://www.baysoftgames.com/hotuexco.html

# 100 Smoke316 @ 04/30/09 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
There are hacks for making the RT/LT buttons turbo, and there's the Hori Turbo Controller which has 3 speed settings for the buttons.

http://www.baysoftgames.com/hotuexco.html

Do you really think that that many people would be taking advantage of it..being that it happens (supposedly) maybe once a game?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.