Home
Backbreaker News Post

Backbreaker starts at around the 0:58 mark.

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Blzer @ 05/08/09 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoulding
I think more people should start looking at this as an additional purchase rather than an either/or with Madden. Backbreaker looks like being my 'drinking beer with the lads' game. Should be easy to pick up and play, entertained for those watching the others play and filled with lots of spectacular moments to get some trash talking going.

Madden is for the NFL license and the franchise. And I'm happy that all my footballing needs will be met for the year!
Here's my line of football games ever owned:

- Madden NFL '98 (great game, still my third favorite football game of all time and I go back to play it very often)
- NFL Blitz
- NFL QB Club 2001
- NFL Blitz 2001
- NFL 2K2
- NFL 2K3
- ESPN NFL Football
- ESPN NFL 2K5
- Blitz: The League
- All Pro Football 2K8
- Blitz: The League II

I loved Madden once in my life, and have rented it every year since it came onto PS2. I was somewhat pleased with 2002, but was never pleased again once I was introduced to the 2K series. At first it played a more arcade-style game, but it looked and sounded very pleasing that it drew me in then, and then 2K4 and 2K5 truly made the push toward realism and sucked me in.

Again, as a PS3 owner I've rented all of this generation of Madden games. Its play just isn't what I like. I currently own Blitz II and I love it. I love it enough to be my only owned football game until Madden truly steps of with physical interaction or 2K devotes themselves to another game. That's why Backbreaker seems like a great deal of fun for me: as long as it has the lasting appeal of a franchise mode and it's not just a tackling tech (actually plays a decent game of football), as soon as people on here release a 32 NFL team roster I would probably jump all over this and say, "Madden WHO?"

I don't blame people for buying Madden or liking Madden, but I don't understand for the life of me those that buy it every year expecting big changes and being disappointed. I look at 2002 and 2010 and I'm not impressed at the changes. There are other sports games like that unfortunately that don't seem to change much, and as long as they aren't the only licensed game out there they are feeling the effects of needs for improvement.

I'm not your run-of-the-mill "2K fanboy." I choose the games that deserve being bought. I give Madden a chance every year and will continue to. As long as they continually take baby steps, someday they will reach what I want in a football game. The good thing about the franchise is the game never really gets worse from year to year. But only time will tell how good it looks when BB comes out and when the NFL license expires.

# 42 canes21 @ 05/08/09 11:14 AM
I have noticed something. The people who say Backbreaker doesn't have a chance or is a fun pick up and play game or it is just like Blitz, they all really don't know anything besides the the tackles will be different. They don't know about the foot planting, the way sprinting works, the passing game, the running game, the customization, etc.

They know that it uses Endorphin, Euphoria, Morphene, etc., but not that it has so much more. Learn before you bash.

# 43 caseym12 @ 05/08/09 12:43 PM
I'll be really excited about Backbreaker when we get an official release date. I don't want to get my hopes up in case it never makes it to the shelves.

# 44 canes21 @ 05/08/09 12:58 PM
I doubt it will be canned. We have already seen actual gameplay. A mini game mode. And they have showed us abut 10 different teams. And two stadiums.

# 45 TreyIM2 @ 05/08/09 03:33 PM
Like I said yesterday on the BB site - Nothing new to see here. Seen vids of the Euphoria Engine in motion, months ago, and, it still looks like tech demos. I downloaded the Qore episode on PSN yesterday and was highly disppointed that in all this time there was nothing new to show. The graphics still look exactly the same. I still wonder if this game is legit. Natural Motions says there is a big announcement at E3 and I wonder if their big announcement and EA's big announcement at E3 are one in the same, meaning, EA has acquired them for Madden 10 or Madden 11 and beyond. Maybe Pro Tak was devved to go hand in hand with the Euph. engine? Who knows but BB really looks empty right now outside of the great looking animation engine, and, honestly, I can just pop in GTA IV if I wanna see it really in motion. Lol...

# 46 canes21 @ 05/08/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Like I said yesterday on the BB site - Nothing new to see here. Seen vids of the Euphoria Engine in motion, months ago, and, it still looks like tech demos. I downloaded the Qore episode on PSN yesterday and was highly disppointed that in all this time there was nothing new to show. The graphics still look exactly the same. I still wonder if this game is legit. Natural Motions says there is a big announcement at E3 and I wonder if their big announcement and EA's big announcement at E3 are one in the same, meaning, EA has acquired them for Madden 10 or Madden 11 and beyond. Maybe Pro Tak was devved to go hand in hand with the Euph. engine? Who knows but BB really looks empty right now outside of the great looking animation engine, and, honestly, I can just pop in GTA IV if I wanna see it really in motion. Lol...
You obviously didn't read my post did you?

# 47 TreyIM2 @ 05/08/09 04:52 PM
canes21 - Lol. Nah, I didn't. I just wanted to get my two cents out.

# 48 Kitchens @ 05/08/09 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
How exactly would Pro-Tak go hand in hand with euphoria? Do you even know what euphoria is? Plus the QORE vid showed a pass being thrown, which is new. And what's wrong with the graphics looking "exactly the same?" The graphics look great, so I don't see what the problem is.

# 49 TreyIM2 @ 05/08/09 06:37 PM
Kitchens - Whoa, bruh. Ur coming off half cocked. Just because u have a particular tech doesn't mean that's ALL u need, depending on what you're trying to accomplish. It's called middleware. Pro Tak could be complimentary tech to the Euphoria engine to make it work within EA's overall engine for Madden without having to completely dismantle what's already there and I don't claim to know what EA may have going on or to be some technical geek but this is ALWAYS done, just like with the Unreal Engine. Heck, I even just read the other day of how Rockstar is working on their own created tech to work with the Euphoria Engine for their new Red Dead Redemption game that'll be coming out. U can find that part out on IGN if u don't believe me...
Now, as for the graphics?????? You're kiddin' me, right? Those graphics look good to u, eh? R u stuck under a rock, still playing on an old PS1, not realizing that graphics, these days, look MUCH BETTER than what is being displayed in BB? I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but c'mon, gimme a break, dawg. You're definitely barking up the wrong tree with those remarks.

# 50 TreyIM2 @ 05/08/09 06:40 PM
Kitchens - Here, I found that IGN post http://ps3.ign.com/articles/980/980848p1.html

# 51 canes21 @ 05/08/09 07:13 PM
Backbreaker looks light years ahead of Madden. Not just in the style, but in the actual polished look. Everything looks so much like a real football game then a video game. Can't say the same for Madden or NCAA.

Also, Ian stated they won;t use any Natural Motion tech until it proves it is the real deal. I personally think Endorphin, Morpheme, Euphoria, etc. should all be a standard now. Look at GTA IV. It didn't even use it to its full potential and that has some of the best physics and pedestrians.

Just imagine a game in an open world with anything to do. They could easily tdo it. THe tech uses almost no space at all. So we could have a city bigger than GTA IV's with so many jobs to do. It would be like an MMO Sims game.

# 52 asu666 @ 05/08/09 07:29 PM
I did notice that it appears they have two stadiums done now.

# 53 TreyIM2 @ 05/08/09 08:29 PM
canes21 - I agree, at least in terms of the physics being light years ahead. NO ONE has animation tech that sophisticated, point blank, and u r also right about how Nat. Motion's tech should be standard but tech that advanced comes with a price and I wouldn't doubt that Nat. Mot. is trying to rape the industry, a bit, and that's why it's not in many games. GTA IV's physics is PHENOMENAL. I've said this time and time again about how I love to have Niko just step out in front of a car and get hit just to marvel at the non-canned animation happen. I like to hit people, too. Hell, the company who did the physics on the vehicles deserves utmost praise as well and their deformity physics should also be industry standard.

As for what u said about Ian - I dunno how true it is that he actually said that but I did write, yesterday, on the Madden blog about how I wondered if EA wanted Nat. Mot. to prove itself in it's own football game before trying to bring them. As u can now tell, I have many speculations on what can be going on between the 2 companies because, honestly, with the NFL licenses, I don't believe that BB will survive, sales wise, IF the game even actually comes out.

# 54 deaduck @ 05/09/09 12:07 AM
Yeah the tackles are nice and all but I'm noticing the actions of the players pre hit are "amplifing" the contact.

You see alot of the ball carrier jumping or leaving the ground. Either this is the AI or the result of a controlled action, but the main point being we're seeing optimal physics for BIG hits.

Where are the shoelace tackles?

# 55 canes21 @ 05/09/09 01:19 AM
I'll say it again. All these tackles look crazy because they are released to get hype. As much as I want to see regular tackles, it won't happen. They're not going to release a trailer filled with the perfect tackle. It would make the casuals think the game is boring.

Also, most of this is all user controlled. EA does the same thing in their trailers. Madden even admitted to it. They do it to make big plays and show off certain aspects.

# 56 computerlover @ 05/10/09 06:25 PM
dont care, im getting it.. first time i saw a day game.. wow.. looks tight to me! so, if you dont want it because of the license.. fine. but if you like me, hell.. i waste money on madden.. so oh well..i got game gift cards for b'day.. so it wont cost me anything..

go BackBreaker!!

# 57 jared52 @ 05/12/09 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium00
Madden fanboys are upset that they are about to be usurped from their throne. This games scares the **** out of them, for some reason. Maybe it's because mommy only gives them enough money to buy one game? No single iteration of Madden thus far looks better than this "Vaporware" footage we've seen so far. Why does this game that does not exist, already resemble real football, much more so than Madden?
I'm not a fan of any football game but have been an avid college football game player for a while. I have never owned 1 copy of Madden but skipped NCAA 2009. I would LOVE for EA to have competition. The problem stems from the Backbreaker folks who want to say that BB is better than Madden or that it "resemble(s) real football" when there has been zero footage from a game that wasn't a close up of a tackle. Yes, we get it, the tackles are different every time a player is hit. That tells me nothing about the things I care about as a football gamer. I want to know about AI and gameplay elements that affect how it is played. I don't care one iota about seeing a different tackle every time if the tackle occurs because of stupid AI.

# 58 duke776 @ 05/12/09 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium00
Why does this game that does not exist, already resemble real football, much more so than Madden?

Don't worry, I'm not a madden fanboy, I don't even play madden...but this comment is so ignorant. The physics are more realistic, but it resembles real football more than madden? What because theres a football, some people who wear pads and tackle each other? WOW! I now see all the comparisons.

I am hoping for this game to come out(and be good), but unless you have secret videos which the public has not seen then that comment is just wrong.

# 59 stylee @ 05/14/09 04:47 PM
This just makes Madden and NCAA's animation stuff look silly.

It looks like real people.

There's some rough stuff, yea - the jukes in the Tackle Alley vid look bad, and the guys just don't pick their legs up enough when they run.

But the way they move just looks 1000000x more natural than EA's.

# 60 Behindshadows @ 05/14/09 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Backbreaker might have awsome graphics and stuff like that. But without NFL rights BB will fall to the ground so enough. Unlss it suddenly outsales madden then NFL decides it's time for it to NFL rights from EA and give them to BB. But I doubt it will ever happen. BB still will be a good looking game at that. But madden will win out at the end of the day.
Who cares if Madden wins at the end of the day. Backbreaker should just be football and hold it's own ground. With the right options, graphics, gameplay, and presentation. It can stand on it's own two feet and be a seller each year. Just like Blitz did for years even after they lost the license.

Good football is good football. They just need to set up the right options and not restricted it from being solid football.

Also good marketing will be have to be a major thing with it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.