Home
NHL 10 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted NHL 10: Five Things to Know.

Quote:
"A lot of people loved Be a Pro mode last year where we put you down on the ice as a player. People love being on the ice," says Littman. "So when we were looking at our fighting this year and making fighting a big feature, putting you right there in the skates of an NHL player is our goal. That's why we went with first-person fighting. If you've played any first-person game, then you know how it feels -- you're right there in the scene. It's a much better way to be interactive than if you're looking in from a top-down view. So that's where we started with first-person fighting. Right now, it's looking pretty good because when you get punched, you get punched right in the face and it's coming at you right in your screen. This huge fist comes at you from this huge fighter, and it hits you in the face. And then you, you're doing all of your punching with the right stick, and of course you can also dodge and try to make him miss while you're throwing punches and trying to hit the other player while this big fist flies your way."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Nomah5 @ 05/13/09 05:03 PM
Cant wait!

# 2 Jim236 @ 05/13/09 05:16 PM
Sounds good! From the screens it's pretty clear that proper board pinning will be in at the very least, and the new crowds both look and sound great as well.

The whole 'enforcer' idea sounds very similar to what 2k did a few years back, here's hoping EA do a better job of implementing it. Nice to see fighting getting some love too, although if I'm honest I hope they put in an option for a standard 3rd person camera for those that want it. Really looking foward to hearing more.

# 3 wildthing2022000 @ 05/13/09 05:16 PM
Great info so far, I'm liking the post play actions/penalties.

# 4 tonynyy @ 05/13/09 05:36 PM
I'm loving it, I just hope this doesn't turn every game into a slugfest. Teams like Detroit fight around 15 times a year, so they shouldn't be out there slashing and face-washing after the whistle.

# 5 bigwill33 @ 05/13/09 05:57 PM
Some good info in that! Hence why there are NDA's folks.

Anyway, some of this stuff is cause for concern, but hopefully it is done well and implemented correctly and it all works smoothly and flawlessly. I am glad fighting has been redone and now has a place in the game, I hope it is not overdone or abused. I think Dave L. gets that though.

Really love the crowd interactions! That sounds great and hope it replicates true life well.

Post play scrums and face washes haha, sounds good, something we have been asking for. Hoping the board play and cycling is a lot better too. From the one screen shot it looks to have some potential of being improved, time will tell of course.

My vote for cover athlete is a young Captain from the Hawks by the way. Making that my official prediction right now, even though it may not go with the new features going into the game with the intimdation stuff etc.

# 6 shakeable @ 05/13/09 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyy
I'm loving it, I just hope this doesn't turn every game into a slugfest. Teams like Detroit fight around 15 times a year, so they shouldn't be out there slashing and face-washing after the whistle.

But at the same time i hope that they don't have a maximum of 3 fights per game.

Would be really dumb if the other team starts 3 fights and then put the pressure on you, and you cant do anything about it.

By looking at the screenshots, the crowd interaction need some work thou. It's very evident in the Kesler screen. Most of the crowd aren't even remotely interested in the play.

# 7 wildthing2022000 @ 05/13/09 06:33 PM
Just to say it because it hasn't been mentioned yet. Women in the stands, that's a decent upgrade.

# 8 flyersdabe @ 05/13/09 07:20 PM
Oh how bad I can't wait to be able to shoot at Fleury after every play and face wash that punk Sidney Crosby.

This game sounds terrific.

# 9 ChaseB @ 05/13/09 07:20 PM
In previous games, you would hit an arbitrary button anywhere on the ice and you would fight," says Littman. "To be more realistic, this year you have to go find somebody to fight. You go up to an opponent and grab them, even face wash them, which people do in real life to get their attention, and then you're asking them to drop the gloves.

If someone face washes Apollo Creed, then he is going to get dropped.

# 10 Bumble14 @ 05/13/09 08:22 PM
Wow...all I can really say is WOW..

As much as I liked NHL 09, something about it seemed so sterile and boring at times. I can not wait to see scrums, board pinning, and physical play. I'm surprised it took so long to impletment- I've been waiting for after whistle scrums since Ice Hockey on NES.

# 11 Money99 @ 05/13/09 08:29 PM
Okay, I know I'm going to sound all doom and gloom but I'm very paranoid this whole Intimidation stuff is going to be done incorrectly.

There is definitely some intimidation in the game. No doubt. But there are players who will never get intimidated no matter what goes on. Litty used Crosby as an example but I don't think this kid has ever been intimidated by anyone.

Also, I hope a fight won't automatically break out every time you go for one like it was described. And I really didn't like hearing that if there's no tough guys on the rink, then whoever you're abusing will drop the gloves. If that's the case then I'll start a fight against Detroit every shift. I'll gladly substitute a scrub to get Datsyuk, Hossa, Lidstrom or Zetterberg off the ice.
I want the fighting ratings directly linked to whether or not they'll drop the gloves. The Wings, by and large, never ever fight. Datsyuk could win the Selke for the 2nd time in a row so I never want to see him go anybody.

Don't get me wrong. I loved all that I read, but I'm worried that once again what goes on the ice won't be mirrored to the players attributes.
There are certain players in this game that have ice water in their veins and would never fumble passes or lose fatigue because they're scared. I don't want to hit Mike Richards 4 times and face wash him and then watch him fumble and bumble around the rest of the game. That would never happen.

And while Litty thinks that fighting and grinding will be a deterrent to cheap tactics, I have to disagree. In real life it might because real life people don't really like to be punched in the face. But in a video game, where you feel no pain, it's going to be nothing but after ice whistles and fights.
I just hope the AI is smart enough to suck you into taking dumb penalties if that's all you want to do.
If start that crap against a softer and gentler team like Detroit then I would expect to get a lot of penalites because Detroit won't retaliate.

Finally, while fighting can wake a team up it's not necessary to win games. Again, just look at Detroit.

I guess my main concern is that all of these features are going to be over the top. As much as I love the movie Slap Shot I don't necessarily want my hockey video game experience to be the same.

# 12 TreyIM2 @ 05/13/09 08:39 PM
I think I'm in, this year. Sounds great. EA is really going hard on all their sports franchises. Now, if they could just get NBA Live 10 on point....

# 13 Fiddy @ 05/13/09 08:56 PM
man this is gonna be a great year of nhl 10..

# 14 ChaseB @ 05/13/09 09:04 PM
Money if you pay me, I'll punch you in the face each time there is a scrum on the ice so it deters you from using the mechanic. Deal?

# 15 onlybygrace @ 05/13/09 09:16 PM
Wow...

Looks like I won't be trading this game in like I did with 09.

This will be the best game of all-time if all this is pulled off.

# 16 ChaseB @ 05/13/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
You really need to change your avatar! Why? becasue I keep think that is you and I keep thinking how vain is some one to have an avatar of them self!
Nice pads. I didn't you played for the Sharks.

# 17 Millennium @ 05/13/09 10:26 PM
I just got moist reading that...

# 18 Money99 @ 05/13/09 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Money if you pay me, I'll punch you in the face each time there is a scrum on the ice so it deters you from using the mechanic. Deal?
I've done less for money.

# 19 bigwill33 @ 05/13/09 11:42 PM
RealmK, where is the EA_Redshirts photo gallery at? Can't find it, link would be appreciated.

# 20 bigwill33 @ 05/14/09 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Thank you, nice to see new animations, just hope they don't get overdone. How often do you see that in real life?

Anyway, totally on board with your presentation ideas. Been asking for that for years. They need to put in game league leaders, or playoff chases with standings etc. Out of town scores would be boss, even if it is just a ticker and not highlights.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.