Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Confirms what I thought.

Franchise mode will have better logic and should be a better experience overall, but in the end, didnt really get the facelift it needed.

And while I did like alot of the answers, this one irks me...

Can someone please tell me how many former players become coaches? I can understand as positional coaches, but Ive always hated that you seen top players become head coaches in the game, when that never really happens.

Either way, looks like Ill be renting Madden this year. Looks alot better, for sure, but this blog pretty much made up my mind.
Yeah I can do without this feature.

Pretty much everything he said sounded good except that.

Superstars don't become coaches...they have no need to. I hated seeing Deion as a head coach back on Madden 05.

The only guys who should go into coaching in Madden are like bck-up QBs and no-name players. Tom Brady won't be going into coaching when he is done, I can assure you.

# 22 mjussawalla @ 06/16/09 04:22 PM
Still don't know if 2 CPU controlled teams can make a trade. Any insight? Thanks

# 23 thudias @ 06/16/09 04:23 PM
Mike Singletary's of the world will never coach..thats just absurd.

# 24 cam21224 @ 06/16/09 04:25 PM
Quote:
Q: Since two-back systems are in vogue, will running backs split carries a la Carolina, Tennessee, etc.?
A: Yes. This is all determined by the RB sliders in your coach options. We have logic that determines how carries will be split later on in franchise. If you have two 90 overall running backs, they will split carries.

Glad to see this is fixed, this was a huge problem for me last year.

Quote:
Q: How are the draft classes, are they the same classes from Headcoach?
A: The draft classes are my favorite thing about franchise mode this year. They are different from Head Coach (some old HC favorites were carried over) but they were all hand created like they were there. I created lots of different types of players, too. Run Stopping DEs vs. Pass Rushing DEs, big bruising backs vs. scat backs, etc. I think you guys will have a blast trying to find the hidden gems and living with the busts. I can’t you how satisfying it is to turn a team around like I did when playing a few seasons with the Bengals. I couldn’t run the ball at all with Cedric Benson for 17 games in year one. I got into the offseason and found a RB in the 3rd round that immediately ignited my running game in year two. I made the playoffs and that kid won rookie of the year.

Wow.

Now I will value all my picks instead of trading them away for good players who are up there in age.

I can't wait for this game anymore, I need it NOW.

# 25 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Different era. The days of Hall of Famers becoming coaches are nearing an end.

# 26 Deegeezy @ 06/16/09 04:28 PM
I'd like to know more about the IMPORT draft class tweaks.

# 27 18manning18 @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
Gotta say i'm impressed. Like i said yesterday, if you get your expectations too high, your just asking for a let down. I wasn't expecting much from this because the gameplay has me happy enough, and i liked what i heard, especially about the draft and scouting.

It's such a shame this game still has so long until it comes out, i wanna play it now. I'm more of an online player but this offline franchise seems like it'll keep me good for when my internet is down or something like that.

# 28 CKW11 @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
Well my question has to do with the draft classes. He said some things that sounded really cool about scouting and the hand made draft classes, but is all that stuff the same as imported classes. Such as the "busts" and "gems" and what not.

# 29 RumbleCard @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
There are always tons of names in the coaching world but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll coach and definitely doesn't mean that they'll have great coach ratings. I don't see Dion in the FA pool for coaching as big of a deal as others. He probably had a decent WR and return rating but was weak in other areas.

Overall I think its a good thing.

# 30 TheDMG @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
Hundreds of questions asked....

15 answered.

Very disappointed.
Seriously? Did you honestly expect him to answer that many? I assumed he'd cull around 10 questions, myself. The ones that he did choose seemed like the most representative/most important as far as I'm concerned. Well, until the last two jokey ones...but they made for a nice closing note.

# 31 thudias @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
Dick Jauron (Buffalo Bills) was a defensive back with the Detroit Lions (1973-77) and Cincinnati Bengals (1978-80).
Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts) was a safety for the Pttsburgh Steelers (1977-78) and San Francisco 49ers (1979).
Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans) was a defensive back and kick returner for the Chicago Bears (1981-85).
Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville Jaguars) played linebacker for the New Orleans Saints (1985-86), Kansas City Chiefs (1987-88), Dallas Cowboys (1989-91), and Minnesota Vikings (1992-95).
Gary Kubiak (Houston Texans) was a quarterback for the Denver Broncos (1983-91).
Herm Edwards (Kansas City Chiefs) was a cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles (1977-85), Atlanta Falcons (1986) and Los Angeles Rams (1986).
Ken Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals) played tight end for the Atlanta Falcons (1985-88), Washington Redskins (1989-90), and New York Jets (1991-93).
Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints) was a quarterback with the Chicago Bears (1987).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying..

# 32 Broncos86 @ 06/16/09 04:30 PM
I liked what I read. He touched on a lot of major points without giving away everything franchise mode has. I knew that the mode wasn't going to be amazingly new, they had said that once before. He reiterated it today, and I'm not disappointed in the least.

A very good step in the right direction, this will finally get franchise mode rolling properly.

# 33 Droopy03 @ 06/16/09 04:31 PM
what about DE'S coming out of college and being able to be a 3-4 outside line backer

# 34 Hova57 @ 06/16/09 04:32 PM
Quote:
dont forget jack de rio

# 35 18manning18 @ 06/16/09 04:33 PM
Really? Do you guys have to make THAT big of a deal out of players becoming coaches? Why does this even matter, if you don't like them, don't hire them. God i'm not trying to be "that guy" but stop being babies and crying about every little thing.

# 36 CanesFan5 @ 06/16/09 04:33 PM
Wait where's part 1?

# 37 turfguy23 @ 06/16/09 04:35 PM
This is going to battle for Sports game of the Year.

I've been buying madden since 1992 and this is by far the most excited I've been for this game.

Online Franchise! Check

Overhauled Offline Franchise! Check

Gaining 15 lbs in August! Check

This is a great foundation to build off of in the coming years for the Madden Team.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Keep up the good work!

# 38 DLaren @ 06/16/09 04:36 PM
Josh, thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions. Last year you said you would get franchise mode to a respectable state and it looks like you have achieved that goal.

Many thanks to you and your team for taking the necessary steps to make this mode enjoyable again. Though there are still a handful of missing features that I had really hoped to see in Madden'10, between this blog and the last blog, I'm excited that most of what I expected will be in this years game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Looman

Q: Has there been more focus put on where a player wants to play in free agency?
A: Yes. I spent a lot of time tuning this over the past few months. I wanted to make sure that it would be harder to convince marquee free agents to play for the Lions, for instance.

Q: Will players be able to become coaches after their retirement?
A: Yes. We even tuned this so that there’s a greater chance that retired players come back as coaches sooner this year.

Q: Since two-back systems are in vogue, will running backs split carries a la Carolina, Tennessee, etc.?
A: Yes.

Q: How will the scouting process work for rookies pre-draft and how is it different from the last few iterations of Madden or similar to HC?
A: Scouting is different than it was in ’09. This year you pick the players you want to scout and each week a piece of information is unlocked about them.

Q: Will coaches effect progression? For example it seemed like the Ravens and Steelers could draft LBer after LBer and most of them would become at least solid players.
A: Coaches, especially elite coaches, do impact a player’s ratings in Franchise Mode.

# 39 Hova57 @ 06/16/09 04:36 PM
Quote:
Dick Jauron (Buffalo Bills) was a defensive back with the Detroit Lions (1973-77) and Cincinnati Bengals (1978-80).
Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts) was a safety for the Pttsburgh Steelers (1977-78) and San Francisco 49ers (1979).
Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans) was a defensive back and kick returner for the Chicago Bears (1981-85).
Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville Jaguars) played linebacker for the New Orleans Saints (1985-86), Kansas City Chiefs (1987-88), Dallas Cowboys (1989-91), and Minnesota Vikings (1992-95).
Gary Kubiak (Houston Texans) was a quarterback for the Denver Broncos (1983-91).
Herm Edwards (Kansas City Chiefs) was a cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles (1977-85), Atlanta Falcons (1986) and Los Angeles Rams (1986).
Ken Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals) played tight end for the Atlanta Falcons (1985-88), Washington Redskins (1989-90), and New York Jets (1991-93).
Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints) was a quarterback with the Chicago Bears (1987).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying..
bill cohwer,washington coach,dallas offensive coordinator

# 40 cam21224 @ 06/16/09 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I'd like to know more about the IMPORT draft class tweaks.
+1

I need to know this also.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.