Home
Madden 2010 News Post

EA just posted part 2 of their Madden NFL 10 Franchise Mode improvements Q&A.

Quote:
"I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Deegeezy @ 06/17/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16
Sure, and then their ratings drop...
Just figure out which ratings drop and edit them. I plan to move Bengals DE Michael Johnson (72 overall) to OLB in my 3-4 and I am going to do what it takes to make sure he is at least a 69 at the new position.

# 162 roadman @ 06/17/09 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion

If not, get back in your damn office and do some real work on this roster update of a game.
Let's wait until after August 14th before we make that statement.

I know of another member from a few months ago tried to tell an EA employee how to work and they received a mini-vacation from the Madden forums.

Just an FYI.

# 163 RGiles36 @ 06/17/09 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Let's wait until after August 14th before we make that statement.
With respect to your statement, I don't think what he said can be said now, let alone 8/14. My take on things is this: with Madden 10 looming, we'll be able to separate the guys who are hoping the game continues to improve and the ones who just belittle the game for the sake of doing so. To call Madden 10 simply a roster update is extremely one-sided and clearly there's a vendetta there.

# 164 Broncos86 @ 06/17/09 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadeion
If not, get back in your damn office and do some real work on this roster update of a game.
Hi there.

Welcome to society.

Enjoy your stay.

# 165 blitzkrieger @ 06/17/09 10:21 AM
Honestly, how can anyone say this is just another roster update ? Presentation, Pro Tak, an actual pocket to pass in , graphical enhancements, refs , and on and on... Its ok to hate EA but when they say this is just another roster update thats just flat out not true... And it makes these people look rather small and foolish..

# 166 RGiles36 @ 06/17/09 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkrieger
Its ok to hate EA but when they say this is just another roster update thats just flat out not true... And it makes these people look rather small and foolish..
Well that's just it. Hating EA is sort of a cultural phenomenon across several sports videogame communities. Not to say the discontent is not warranted to a large extent, but having disdain for EA sort of became the cool thing to do. I sort of came in on the middle of it I guess (post Madden 08 is when I started posting on forums). It's like a philosophy that some people abide by. Not to mention, some have made a name for themselves as being negative or haters (I hate that word).

But I think in the next year or so, the theme of some of these guys is going to change. I'm interested to see the mood of the community post Madden 10. Besides a lot of wishlists and stuff post Madden 09, the overall tone of the OS community was skepticism and pessimism (is that a word). Madden 10 should prove to most folks that Tiburon is for real; with the training wheels off and most people on board, the community interaction should be even more valuable in the next few months having understood this game is really on the right track.

# 167 turfguy23 @ 06/17/09 12:16 PM
Coaching/GM Questions

- Do team finances matter?
- Do CPU teams value their Draft Picks more than before?
- Can we leave one franchise and take over another?? (i.e. be fired, quit, etc.)
- Can you fire/replace/promote a coach in mid-season?
- Will the game allow more then 52 players on the roster in preseason, thus forcing you to make cuts?
- Will there be position coaches in the game, that effect players performance - ie, Running Back coaches, Line Coaches, etc?
- Will there be customizable sub package similar to PS-2 version of the game?
- Have you removed the logic that forces you to have set number of players per position? Do I really need to have FB if I can use another RB or TE to fulfill multiple positions/roles?
- Has trade logic been improved? Will I still be able to trade for Matthew Stafford even though the lions just drafted him 1st overall and made him their franchise player?
- Does placing a player on Injured Reserve free up that player's roster spot
- Will team chemistry play a role?
- Will players be able to become coaches after their retirement?
- Can we Create-A-Coach?
- Will CPU teams trade with each other?

Contracts/Free Agency Questions

- Has the restricted free agent period been added back this year?
- Has there been more focus put on players wants to determine where he will sign?
- Is there player morale/holdouts?
- Will players not sign in order to test free agency?
- Since two-back systems are in vogue, will running backs split carries a la Carolina, Tennessee, etc.?
- Am i able to low-ball every free agent i want to sign and get him for the cheapest dollar amount? In past versions, you could start with a 5 year deal at 500k total, and just up it by 10k until they accepted. I want players to tell me to get the heck out of here if i low ball them, not allow me to find the cheapest way to sign them
- Can you front/back load contracts?
- Can you add incentives on contracts?

Progression Questions

- Can a DE be converted to OLB to play in the 3-4 or will he drop exponentially?
- Is there any type of training camp or mini camp during franchise?
- How often does progression take place and will season performance effect it? (yearly, quarterly, every game, etc.)
- Will a team's momentum or success play any part into progression, especially if it is game to game? For example, if a team is playing well and has won 10 games in a row, will everyone get some sort of boost?
- How much does potential matter vs. production for progressing players?
- Has anything been done to the logic to stop players from retiring too early?
- How do injuries affect a players ratings,future, etc

Draft Questions

- Can we trade future draft picks?
- How has draft presentation been updated?
- How many different draft classes are there?
- Will the skill of the GM/scouting team affect the accuracy of unlocked information?
- In these draft classes, how many extra undrafted players will there be on average?
- I know the order of draft classes will be random, but will the player's information also be random (i.e. name and college, possibly even height, weight, skin color, etc)?
- Will we be able to edit draft classes before the draft actual starts?

Scouting

- How will the scouting process work for rookies pre-draft and how is it different from the last few iterations of Madden or similar to HC?
- For scouting players for the draft will there be information for us about what scheme or type of player the player is.(example DT is he more of a 1 gap or 2 gap DT. DE is he better for the 3-4 end or pass rusher?

General

- Has anything been removed from Franchise Mode?
- Dynamic attendance - is it in or out?
- Is there a noticeable difference between regular season and playoff games?
- Can we start our franchise before the draft?

Stadium Questions

- Will we be able to renovate or rebuild a team's stadium without having to relocate?
- When upgrading your stadium in franchise mode, will you be able to SEE (new Jumbotron, extractable roof, etc.) or feel the effects of your additions???

Scheduling Questions

- Has anything been done to fix the scheduling logic? Will we still see teams with 4 straight Monday night games or open the season with a 6-game road trip?
- Has the ability the select our preseason opponents made it back in. If not, will I still see the situation where divisional opponents play each other in the preseason?
- Is the annual International Game depicted in the game or will New England simply play a road game in Tampa in year 1?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red/Bold
questions are the ones that Josh answered. After looking at this again I will say they answered the best questions. While everyone will not agree with this, I think they went for the "meat and potatoes" and did a fine job with the blog. I'm extremely happy with the improvements to Madden this year and the 2010 Franchise mode looks like it will be the most in depth and playable it has been in years.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

EA Sports and the Madden Development team look to have built a solid foundation for this years game and one that can be built upon for future Madden titles. The more bricks we throw, the more solid the game will be.........

# 168 skudplayr @ 06/17/09 12:57 PM
I think this game will be great...but food for thought. I was skimming through old posts over at MM and at this time last year everyone thought Madden 09 was going to be the gold standard and that it was going to fix everything. People were creaming themselves over it.

We know how that turned out.

# 169 roadman @ 06/17/09 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
I think this game will be great...but food for thought. I was skimming through old posts over at MM and at this time last year everyone thought Madden 09 was going to be the gold standard and that it was going to fix everything. People were creaming themselves over it.

You are not the first person to mention this and probably won't be the last.

I hope it's a much improved game from 09.

# 170 RGiles36 @ 06/17/09 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr

I thought many folks realized that Madden '09 would not be the gold standard? Maybe I'm speaking for myself here, but the community interaction had me looking past Madden 09 months before it came out. Whenever Ian & Phil commented on the critical things (OL/DL, WR/CB, Pocket) this time last year, they often said, "We have some cool plans for this next year," or something liked that. I could kind of tell that Madden 09 wasn't exactly their baby.

# 171 Avii @ 06/17/09 02:15 PM
The extra point has no replays from around the league? Only textual summaries of the game?

Boring imo. I have been able to see the same recaps in Madden '08 on the PC.

# 172 Broncos86 @ 06/17/09 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avii
The extra point has no replays from around the league? Only textual summaries of the game?

Boring imo. I have been able to see the same recaps in Madden '08 on the PC.
Well, Madden on PC was last gen technology, sitting on a platform that wasn't restricted by media as much as a console is. I used to see highlights of other games in NHL '94. That said, there are trade-offs in regards to what one can fit onto a console game, especially given a restricted window of development.

# 173 skudplayr @ 06/17/09 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I thought many folks realized that Madden '09 would not be the gold standard? Maybe I'm speaking for myself here, but the community interaction had me looking past Madden 09 months before it came out. Whenever Ian & Phil commented on the critical things (OL/DL, WR/CB, Pocket) this time last year, they often said, "We have some cool plans for this next year," or something liked that. I could kind of tell that Madden 09 wasn't exactly their baby.
They're still doing that. "Wait until next year for big franchise changes."

"Wait until next year for progressive lighting."

"Wait until next year for a true online franchise."

I'm starting to feel like EA's the Detroit Lions and we're their fans. But nonetheless, I'm hopeful for Madden 10.

# 174 Broncos86 @ 06/17/09 03:13 PM
Jay Cutler IS a whiner. Good riddance. And B.Marsh can take a hike too, if he's going to throw a fit (even though he's one incident away from being the next Pacman Jones).

I felt the same way about Madden 09, last year. That said, Madden 10 is in a unique situation, all things considered. Ian deserves the benefit of the doubt. Now if next year is the same story, then we have issues.

# 175 Broncos86 @ 06/17/09 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
What annoys me is we were told they were going to be much improved last year and that didn't pan out. I was also told Franchise Mode would be greatly improved this year and it was just "tuned." Franchise hasn't had any drastic changes since current gen started.
I think, to be fair, that statement was made before Ian was put in charge. So, IMO, a lot that was said last year goes out the window. No different than a coaching change. New head coach, new playbook, etc.

# 176 Sauk @ 06/17/09 04:02 PM
This is my favorite part of the game and the one that has upset me the most the past 5 to 7 years.

I really do hope it has turned the corner, it seems like it from what he said in both articles. I really liked HC offseason logic and in season. Glad the brought him over.

# 177 Broncos86 @ 06/17/09 04:40 PM
No sense in worrying, at this point. Just kick back, relax, and wait for Madden 10.

# 178 juney @ 06/17/09 08:47 PM
can we get more catches like dis randy moss catch

# 179 mwjr @ 06/18/09 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Dick Jauron (Buffalo Bills) was a defensive back with the Detroit Lions (1973-77) and Cincinnati Bengals (1978-80).
Tony Dungy (Indianapolis Colts) was a safety for the Pttsburgh Steelers (1977-78) and San Francisco 49ers (1979).
Jeff Fisher (Tennessee Titans) was a defensive back and kick returner for the Chicago Bears (1981-85).
Jack Del Rio (Jacksonville Jaguars) played linebacker for the New Orleans Saints (1985-86), Kansas City Chiefs (1987-88), Dallas Cowboys (1989-91), and Minnesota Vikings (1992-95).
Gary Kubiak (Houston Texans) was a quarterback for the Denver Broncos (1983-91).
Herm Edwards (Kansas City Chiefs) was a cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles (1977-85), Atlanta Falcons (1986) and Los Angeles Rams (1986).
Ken Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals) played tight end for the Atlanta Falcons (1985-88), Washington Redskins (1989-90), and New York Jets (1991-93).
Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints) was a quarterback with the Chicago Bears (1987).

I'm not saying...I'm just saying..
Most of those guys weren't exactly household names, though. I think the larger point is that coaches like Jason Garrett and Gary Kubiak were once role players or back-ups, you don't often see the likes of John Elway or Joe Montana go into coaching.

However, players who've become coaches and/or coordinators is quite long. This list doesn't even include the coordinators who were once players. Guys like Emmitt Thomas (who actually is a Hall of Famer), Ray Hamilton, Mike Mullarkey, Russ Grimm, Chris Miller, Bryan Cox, Al Harris, Tom Rathman, Henry Ellard, Matt Cavanaugh. Also, remember that Hall of Famers Bart Starr, Forrest Gregg and Mike Ditka were head coaches, and hall of famer Joe Greene was a long-time DL coach.

# 180 mwjr @ 06/18/09 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Again...That was a different era.
Different era? Not sure I understand. All of those guys are current coaches.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.