Home
NHL 10 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of NHL 10.

Quote:
"On the ice you'll notice a few new control mechanics. While I didn't get to try it for myself, you'll now be able to whack pucks out of the air when they pop up in front of the goal and deke and shoot from your knees. Another new facet of controlling things on the ice is precision passing. It essentially lets you pass it any direction, at any speed, at any time. Casual fans can turn the feature off, but real NHL pros will be able to bank passes off the boards to get around defenders or squeak the puck through a defender's legs in the hopes of hitting a player streaking towards the goal. I consider myself to be a solid NHL gamer, but even I had some issues with the level of control that precision passing affords."

Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 onlybygrace @ 06/16/09 10:46 PM
The writer of that preview is not a sim player...that is pretty obvious...at least, its seems like it from statements like, "i wish i could take my skate and cut his face with it" make it sound that way.

Not much credibility with me.

# 2 Bolts_26 @ 06/16/09 11:18 PM
Still, nice to see an update. This game looks like it will be great and it's great to see that were getting pretty decent info already..

# 3 savoie2006 @ 06/16/09 11:38 PM
Like others have stated, hopefully the batting the puck out for the air for a shot isn't very common. As the picture on IGN shows the players stick would clearly be above the cross bar which in hockey is no goal, in EA probably is a goal

# 4 Vikes1 @ 06/16/09 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
The writer of that preview is not a sim player...that is pretty obvious...at least, its seems like it from statements like, "i wish i could take my skate and cut his face with it" make it sound that way.

Not much credibility with me.
Yeah I agree. That was a bit overboard.

At least with that statement, he came across like a 10 year old.

# 5 onlybygrace @ 06/16/09 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Like others have stated, hopefully the batting the puck out for the air for a shot isn't very common. As the picture on IGN shows the players stick would clearly be above the cross bar which in hockey is no goal, in EA probably is a goal
I doubt they count as goals...it would be a game killer for so many its not even funny.

Imagine losing a game on a goal that was batted in when it was over the crossbar.

# 6 ComaFaction @ 06/17/09 09:42 AM
Notice the half-empty stands in the CHI-SJ game...hmmmmm

# 7 Bolts_26 @ 06/17/09 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaFaction
Notice the half-empty stands in the CHI-SJ game...hmmmmm
That's another thing I'm already a little upset about.

Chicago had the best attendance record last year and they have loyal fans and band wagoner fans with them now since there doing well. Therefore, A Chi-SJ game would be packed!

Then have the Islanders, who have been in last for years, take on the Thrashers or something and the fans should be not too many.

That's a factor they should put into dynasty too:

Do well=Fans
Loose a lot=Little fans..

# 8 onlybygrace @ 06/17/09 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26

Chicago had the best attendance record last year and they have loyal fans and band wagoner fans with them now since there doing well. Therefore, A Chi-SJ game would be packed!

Then have the Islanders, who have been in last for years, take on the Thrashers or something and the fans should be not too many.

Do well=Fans
Thats the way it is in 2k8...if the home team is doing well...sold out...or sometimes a bit less if you 5-8th seeded...if you are sucking...well...there are like 8,000 in attendance...and of course the playoffs are packed like they should be.

it adds alot

# 9 Dean3790 @ 06/17/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
I doubt they count as goals...it would be a game killer for so many its not even funny.

Imagine losing a game on a goal that was batted in when it was over the crossbar.
I thought I read somewhere that only the elite players can even do these moves...like the shot from the knees and hitting the puck out of the air.

# 10 matt8204 @ 06/17/09 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26

Do well=Fans
Shouldn't be the case for every team, though. Even when the Rangers missed the playoffs 7 straight years, MSG was sold out most of the time.

# 11 Bolts_26 @ 06/17/09 03:33 PM
Quote:
Thats the way it is in 2k8...if the home team is doing well...sold out...or sometimes a bit less if you 5-8th seeded...if you are sucking...well...there are like 8,000 in attendance...and of course the playoffs are packed like they should be.

it adds alot
Yes, this would be really good. You know, I won't complain if it's not inthere but like you said, it adds a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Shouldn't be the case for every team, though. Even when the Rangers missed the playoffs 7 straight years, MSG was sold out most of the time.
Thats because New York is...well...New York. (And I was born there =])

Still, look at my Bolts for example...We win the cup and are doing well our attendance almost hit number one. Now we suck again and were in the bottom ten, I believe.

# 12 Vikes1 @ 06/17/09 09:46 PM
Quote:

it adds alot
I agree 100%.

Dynamic attendance does add a touch of realism to dynasty mode. It's great to have to earn a packed house with loud fans. It's a nice incentive to be more competitive in your dynasty.

# 13 Bolts_26 @ 06/17/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I agree 100%.

Dynamic attendance does add a touch of realism to dynasty mode. It's great to have to earn a packed house with loud fans. It's a nice incentive to be more competitive in your dynasty.
Yes, It would be a great feature that should be considered.

I know NHL 2004 had it, but you actually did not see the visual increase/decrease of fans but it stated somewhere in there.

Very cool feature,IMO

# 14 onlybygrace @ 06/17/09 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I agree 100%.

Yup...I played a season with the Blues and came in 8th...not a single sell out till the playoffs. Really added a lot to the post-season.

In my Pittsburgh season right now, I'm in the playoffs, but have been in 1st almost all season, so the sellouts are just the norm.

(Its on the Dynasty Forums, btw) ...with The Russian Rocket

I freakin' love 2k8...I don't care what anyone says. I've played all the games except a few since NHLPA for Genesis (I'm 29) and this game is like crack to me.

Its ALL about the sliders though.

Still, I'm like 95% sure NHL 10 will dethrone NHL 2k8...but if it doesn't, I'm still really happy. Hell, I have a feeling 2k10 might be better than 2k8...we'll see.

# 15 Bolts_26 @ 06/17/09 10:44 PM
Quote:
Yup...I played a season with the Blues and came in 8th...not a single sell out till the playoffs. Really added a lot to the post-season.

In my Pittsburgh season right now, I'm in the playoffs, but have been in 1st almost all season, so the sellouts are just the norm.

(Its on the Dynasty Forums, btw) ...with The Russian Rocket

I freakin' love 2k8...I don't care what anyone says. I've played all the games except a few since NHLPA for Genesis (I'm 29) and this game is like crack to me.

Its ALL about the sliders though.

Still, I'm like 95% sure NHL 10 will dethrone NHL 2k8...but if it doesn't, I'm still really happy. Hell, I have a feeling 2k10 might be better than 2k8...we'll see.
Sweet, 2k has that feature. Well, EA Can't win everything=]

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.