Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

Looks like no demo for NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"The team has been hard at work rebuilding the NHL 2K franchise from the ground up. Because we’ve poured every resource we have into this game, we made a strategic decision not to release a demo."

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Flyermania @ 09/03/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Huh, you said I don't have a clue and I called you clueless and YOU GET OFFENDED? Wasn't it you who replied to me? Who have I jumped on for not feeling like I do? When did I say someone couldn't post an opposing opinion. Everything you said about me is pure fantasy because It's simply not true. I have as much right to love 2k hockey as many of you have to hate it and that doesn't bother me one bit. You and a few others can't stand the fact that I like everything 2k and you can't change my opinion and I understand that it's hard to accept but that's just the way it is.
Let's see...claiming that I am confused...referring to my speculation as "idiotic"...referring to "me and my buddies" with "mindless bashing". Very friendly vernacular. I am far from being "behind", and you "leading me out of the fog" is friggin' laughable. You tweak one slider. I was a Head Researcher on the NHL EHM games for the PC, so I have an idea of how things work. It's called experience. I also was selected my my peers on this site to represent OS at the EA event. "Lead me out of the fog" indeed.

I never said you couldn't like 2k. Please show me where I have said this. And while you're at it, please show me where I've said that I hate 2k. Didn't happen.

It's not hard to figure out that you like everything 2k. And dislike most of what is EA. Heck, I know what bias means. I also know that if 2 companies are selling the same type of product and one company sells a million and the other only 100,000 --- well, one company is in trouble. Getting back to my NHL EHM experience, that was a game that didn't sell enough due to piracy issues. Guess what happened? The game folded as it was not making enough money to support its development.

Even though you edited your previous post with a smiley to change the tone, it doesn't change the trend of you getting riled up if I, Realm, or anyone posts something negative about 2k. I am glad you are buying 2k. I am buying it too. The existence of two hockey games only makes them both better.

# 82 Flyermania @ 09/03/09 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I wrote a while back that I feel they're in a Catch 22 and have been for a while. They obviously need to get out there and market on some level, but it appears that because their games aren't selling well, money isn't made available to market their games properly.

I guess when I'm feeling compassionate, I really do see the bind they're in. And I appreciate they're no doubt working their butts off with a very small development team, trying to get this game finished up. December 2004 really did alter sports gaming, and to the detriment of 2K. It's sad.
I totally agree. But what gets me is the lack of effort as far as marketing goes...it's like they don't even try. I know EA's marketing budget is massive, but remember "Top Shelf Tuesdays" back with 2k4/2k5? The TV commercials with JR in hockey and TO for football? The aggressive $20 price tags that forced EA's hand?

Where is that effort today? Especially when social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. can be a low-cost and highly effective viral marketing tool.

# 83 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I agree, I like this post. I disagree with some things. but for the most I agree. IN my opinion Eddie and Realm are the same. The way he sticks up for EA game even in here is just like Eddie does for this game. I see no difference. I think having a demo would have been cool, but when you can't use sliders it really makes it a shell of a game. You can see some new animation and new graphics, but that is really all you will get with a demo. Maybe the AI would play better, but I just no.
Your right about that Scott. It's the reason we clash so much.
But I'm seriously not trying to stifle anyone's negative opinion of 2k. It's the reason why I don't put anyone on ignore.

# 84 Eddie1967 @ 09/03/09 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Well you call like you see I will call it like I see. Both will go to their gave defending their games. That is cool. I think 2k set up to the plate this year. Even the game AI looks better. And that is pretty much all we can ask for each year.

I think you are missing the point. They both defend their game to no ends. Even when someone said anything bad about there game. Eddie is getting better, Realm I don't know I have him on ignore. Any ways it does keep it exciting. Until a mod comes in and makes it stop.
Yeah, I don't mind any and all opinions. It's really what these forums are all about. I'm excited either way. Life is great and 2k looks very good. It sucks that I won't be able to play until I get back from Roanoke on the 18.

# 85 Keirik @ 09/03/09 10:53 PM
Quote:
This message has been deleted by Eddie1967. Reason: Responding only feeds the idiocy .
this is the exact reason why honestly it's hard to take you seriousily sometimes around here. Deleting a post and giving that as the reason is just as idiotic and childish as actually responding, just doing so in a "higher and mightier" yet hypocritical, type way.

What makes it any different to delete a post by putting idiocy in the reasoning as opposed to actually trying to offend someone in the first place? There's really no need to be honest.

# 86 Keirik @ 09/03/09 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Last gen when 2k had what was imo at the time the better game I was giving 2k all the credit in the world, should 2k10 turn out decent, I'll be the very first person to say it where as I'm pretty damned sure Eddie would not in a million years conceed that EA's game isn't only good but is in alot of ways gameplay wise pretty damn superior. Thats the major difference between him and I. If 2k were to put out a better game I'd pat them right on the back and say good job boys thank you for delivering.

The NHL10 demo doesn't have unlocked sliders and gee that turned out pretty well, the only major exception being the cpu passing. But you know what? The NHL10 demo feels like hockey, it plays like hockey, in a demo with locked sliders mind you.

I've suggested a few times Eddie put certain people on ignore because anytime something posted is remotely negative about 2k out comes the troll and hidden agenda card because he clearly isn't mature enough to handle a discussion involving pros and cons when it comes to his publisher of choice. Each and every time there you are patting him on the back for doing it. Just please stop seriously.

Defending the poor marketing job 2k has done this year is outright borderline ******** in the first place. Telling others to "get a clue" when you clearly don't even remotely have one yourself is outright laughable.

Not having a demo and the lack of marketing on the whole hurts sales possibilities far more than it helps, will it kill 2k? No prolly not. Sales of the GTA series do well enough to keep them afloat right now. But it sends a strong message that when it comes to hockey they either don't feel their product is better or don't care about the series enough to put any stock or marketing buget money into it. Which from a competition makes better games stance is a lose lose no matter which game one perfers.

It may not happen next year but should sales still be subpar the next year or two theres a very real possibility there won't even be anymore 2k hockey which in the grand scheme of things would suck for us the guys that are hardcore about the sport and want choices when it comes to having hockey video games.
Bravo honestly, and to add one more thing to this. I've actually not even bothered posting too many opinions of the actual game because I don't feel like hearing the fanboy card thrown out there, especially when im a person who registered for the 2k boards years ago even before it was the 2k board and have this game paid in full (to keep blindly giving yet another chance at hoping 2k3v*next gen is reincarnated) every year.

# 87 CujoMatty @ 09/04/09 06:35 AM
If you always liked NHL 2k then you will probably like 2k10 it plays so much different than EA's series. The problem is as sales, critics, and the rest of the free world shows the majority of people like EA's hockey better. You just can't argue with "sports game of the year" accolades especially when a hockey game does it. More people watch the world series of poker in the states then the NHL so let's give EA credit where credit is due. I give NBA 2k all the credit in the world for dominating basketball for as long as they have. I don't think that is what this forum is all about it's about not having a demo. Huuuuuggggeeee mistake in my opinion because it feels just way too fishy. It's like when there aren't reviews posted untill a couple of days after release (I'm looking at you MLB 2k.) the way 2k has handled this makes me believe a review might be late on this one as well. Demo's help games 90 percent of the time. Having a demo helped EA get me to waste 60$ on NBA live 09. Just take the thing your game does best to showcase itself . Remember the NHL 08 demo that was just the shootout? It showed off great graphics, right analog controls, all the positives. Not the shotty AI or bad goalie play. That was the absolute best example of how to market a demo IMO.

# 88 jaateloauto @ 09/04/09 07:45 AM
Wow, I have both games pre-ordered. This makes me wonder if I should cancel one..

# 89 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Last gen when 2k had what was imo at the time the better game I was giving 2k all the credit in the world, should 2k10 turn out decent, I'll be the very first person to say it where as I'm pretty damned sure Eddie would not in a million years conceed that EA's game isn't only good but is in alot of ways gameplay wise pretty damn superior. Thats the major difference between him and I. If 2k were to put out a better game I'd pat them right on the back and say good job boys thank you for delivering.

The NHL10 demo doesn't have unlocked sliders and gee that turned out pretty well, the only major exception being the cpu passing. But you know what? The NHL10 demo feels like hockey, it plays like hockey, in a demo with locked sliders mind you.

I've suggested a few times Eddie put certain people on ignore because anytime something posted is remotely negative about 2k out comes the troll and hidden agenda card because he clearly isn't mature enough to handle a discussion involving pros and cons when it comes to his publisher of choice. Each and every time there you are patting him on the back for doing it. Just please stop seriously.

Defending the poor marketing job 2k has done this year is outright borderline ******** in the first place. Telling others to "get a clue" when you clearly don't even remotely have one yourself is outright laughable.

Not having a demo and the lack of marketing on the whole hurts sales possibilities far more than it helps, will it kill 2k? No prolly not. Sales of the GTA series do well enough to keep them afloat right now. But it sends a strong message that when it comes to hockey they either don't feel their product is better or don't care about the series enough to put any stock or marketing buget money into it. Which from a competition makes better games stance is a lose lose no matter which game one perfers.

It may not happen next year but should sales still be subpar the next year or two theres a very real possibility there won't even be anymore 2k hockey which in the grand scheme of things would suck for us the guys that are hardcore about the sport and want choices when it comes to having hockey video games.
Using words like ******** makes anything else you say irrelevant. It's a very childish way to make a point. I would think you would be able to express yourself in more mature way instead of using terms that are offensive to a lot of people. You constantly rip others in the EA forums who have a negative opinion about EA hockey. All someone has to do is check your post history. You were was forced to leave the 2khockey.net forums because of your constant fighting and trolling and now you come here and do the same thing whether it's the EA or 2k forums and you call me out? Your history speaks for itself.

# 90 Flyermania @ 09/04/09 08:12 AM
Quote:
My job is too bring you out of the fog. Speculating on whether a game will fold because it doesn't put out a demo or because it's not someone's cup of tea is just plain idiotic.
Quote:
you and your buddies go gaga over a demo release and then turn around and lose your mind when a company says they won't release one doesn't mean that other people outside of this little group feel that way.
Quote:
just so we wouldn't have the mindless ripping of the demo for not having options that you still wouldn't get in other demos. Nice try, but your still way behind.
Quote:
This message has been deleted by Eddie1967. Reason: Responding only feeds the idiocy
Quote:
Using words like ******** makes anything else you say irrelevant. It's a very childish way to make a point. I would think you would be able to express yourself in more mature way instead of using terms that are offensive to a lot of people.
Speaking of irrelevant, here are some of your most recent "mature" comments on this forum. A classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps you shouldn't be spreading advice on how to act mature on this (or any) forum.

K? Thx.

Oh, and your little quote from VeNoM in your sig is another "mature" item isn't it? I find it very ironic that you quoted that, especially since VeNoM is probably the most biased EA-hatin' 2k fanboy there is.

# 91 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Speaking of irrelevant, here are some of your most recent "mature" comments on this forum. A classic case of the p[ot calling the kettle black. Perhaps you shouldn't be spreading advice on how to act mature on this (or any) forum.

K? Thx.

Oh, and your little quote from VeNoM in your sig is another "mature" item isn't it? I find it very ironic that you quoted that, especially since VeNoM is probably the most biased EA-hatin' 2k fanboy there is.
What is your obsession with me. We obviously don't like each other and that's cool. But you really need to find something else to do except follow me around. It's really embarrassing. Your coming apart at the seams as evidenced by your continuing personal attacks on me. It's just not an adult way to go about things. These forums are great way to express how we feel about the video games we like and dislike. You shouldn't try to stifle someone's opinion just because you don't agree with it. It's Friday, 4 day weekend, nice weather, 1 week until 2 hockey games come out. What's all of this fighting for. Life is too short for this. And no need to attempt to educate me on Venom, I know fully well who he is and what he is about and I happen to agree with him, just like your a fan of Realm.

# 92 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightRoomKing
How can YOU call it embarrasing when you're the one who is constantly trolling and flaming?? All he is doing is proving his point. Face it man, your act got old, tired and called out.

I think the reason why people are "debating" with you right now is because your mind was made up no matter what the situation is and that can tick off alot of people on these boards who are looking for an unbiased opinion.
What's up Rook, all opinions are biased. There is no such thing as an unbiased opinion because it's how that person sees it. Whether their opinion is negative or positive. People may try to say that their opinion is unbiased but that's an impossibility. I happen to be a fan of 2k sports which I why I spend most of my time here. If that bothers people then there is nothing I can do about that. Why someone would worry about me I have no idea because there are plenty of other people to get opinions from here. You have been throwing darts my way, but I'm not going to argue with you. Operation sports is the perfect place to express how we feel about video games and I for one appreciate the many opinions from all who happen to post here. If my "biased opinions" "tick" you off then I suggest you put me on ignore. It's really that simple.

# 93 Flyermania @ 09/04/09 09:32 AM
Quote:
What is your obsession with me. We obviously don't like each other and that's cool. But you really need to find something else to do except follow me around. It's really embarrassing. Your coming apart at the seams as evidenced by your continuing personal attacks on me. It's just not an adult way to go about things. These forums are great way to express how we feel about the video games we like and dislike. You shouldn't try to stifle someone's opinion just because you don't agree with it. It's Friday, 4 day weekend, nice weather, 1 week until 2 hockey games come out. What's all of this fighting for. Life is too short for this. And no need to attempt to educate me on Venom, I know fully well who he is and what he is about and I happen to agree with him, just like your a fan of Realm.
Obsessed? Don't flatter yourself. Although I'm beginning to think you might be obsessed with Realm, especially since you've now taken to highlight him in your signature. Very mature.

I post in the hockey forums as those are mainly the games I play, and I do post after some of your comments. I listed some of your comments above as perfect examples of your "mature" pieces of wisdom.

And please show me where I am trying to "stifle" your opinion? I'll give you a hint...it's probably where I also said I hate 2k. Didn't happen.

Your quote about Realm is tasteless and immature. It's from another forum...why bring that here to OS? And if you don't like to argue, why put that in your sig? If you have a problem with Realm, or me for that matter, put us on ignore. Or be a man for once and take it to a PM. You try and come across as a helpless victim defending 2k, yet you put crap like that in your sig and then wonder why people come after you.

The fact of the matter is you frequently have issues with people having negative feedback on the 2k game. You get all worked up, and since you are incapable of having an adult discussion, you "cry wolf" and say we all have some agenda. The stuff I quoted above is perfect examples of your backhanded inflammatory comments. As long as you post stuff like that, I will respond to it. Plain and simple.

# 94 armi5718 @ 09/04/09 11:01 AM
2k is really not releasing a demo? Sounds like they want people to buy the game with no idea of how good the game will be this year.

# 95 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 11:32 AM
But aren't demo's different for sports games. It seems easier to sell a demo in a game such as batman, call of duty, etc, because the game doesn't really on sliders for improvement. Yet for sports games you usually can't adjust much which means it most likely won't be close to the final product game play wise.

Before someone rips me a new one, I have said that the EA demo took away my enthusiasm for NHL10 but not because of the game play which I thought was solid. I just didn't like any of the presentation, i.e., crowd noise, and the player differences. Could it be better in the final version? Possibly, but even EA admitted they didn't put the resources to presentation this year so it's basically the same. I don't want to risk buying the final product and being disappointed.

# 96 MizzouRah @ 09/04/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeightRoomKing
How can YOU call it embarrasing when you're the one who is constantly trolling and flaming?? All he is doing is proving his point. Face it man, your act got old, tired and called out.

I think the reason why people are "debating" with you right now is because your mind was made up no matter what the situation is and that can tick off alot of people on these boards who are looking for an unbiased opinion.
How anyone can take Eddie serious is beyond me. He would praise 2k hockey if it looked and played like Atari hockey.

# 97 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Sliders don't change the way the game itself plays for the most part. It might change how easy or hard the game is - like how easy it is to say score a goal, or how hard players hit... But it doesn't change how the game controls and how the AI really plays.

The demo from pretty much every sports game I've ever played is pretty much exactly how the full game has played; the only differences were in that I could adjust how hard or easy it was - and change some things to make it a little more realistic. But if you don't like the way it plays, sliders don't change anything really.
Interesting. Last year was the first for me playing any demo and that was with MLB 2K9. I'm not into making drastic slider adjustments myself but since that is a huge thing in these forums, I figured it must completely change the way the game is played in all areas since people tinker with them so much. I play most of my games out of the box with very minor adjustments. Given 2k's list of sliders, this will be the first time I go deep into them to test out different styles of play.

# 98 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
How anyone can take Eddie serious is beyond me. He would praise 2k hockey if it looked and played like Atari hockey.
LOL, not true. I never liked Atari anything. I was more of an intellivision man actually. It's not that I hate EA's games, I just prefer 2k's products.

# 99 MizzouRah @ 09/04/09 11:57 AM
Quote:
LOL, not true. I never liked Atari anything. I was more of an intellivision man actually. It's not that I hate EA's games, I just prefer 2k's products.
That's ok.. but it kills me sometimes when you say this game is going to be great and nobody has even played it yet. Can you honestly say you're fine without a demo?

# 100 Eddie1967 @ 09/04/09 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
That's ok.. but it kills me sometimes when you say this game is going to be great and nobody has even played it yet. Can you honestly say you're fine without a demo?
The word great is subjective. What's great for me may suck for someone else, so you have to realize that I'm just talking about what I like. I know none of us have played NHL 2K10 but those videos look very good to me and since I am a huge fan of presentation I know I won't be disappointed.

As far as not having a demo, for me it's no big deal because up until last year playing them rarely crossed my mind. I know for others it's a huge thing especially when it comes to spending your hard earned money, you want something you can put your hands on that will tell you whether it's worth buying or not. I'm not rich but I will blow money here and there just to try things out. Heck I'm liable to change my mind about NHL10 despite what I think about the demo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.