Home
NHL 10 News Post

The NHL 10 patch is now available for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"Here are a couple of the key fixes that we've made in the Title Update:

Fixed the exploit to slap-shot a 5-hole goal from below the face-off circle.

* Although our goalies are much improved in NHL 10, there was an exploit when shooting from below the face-off circle that resulted in a goal more often than not. The goalies are now tuned to better handle shots from this area.

Increased speed of passes with Manual passing on.

* This year we added Hardcore Passing (manual passing) that gave you total control of your pass speed and direction. Overall, the new passing was well received but the consensus was that you should be able to pass the puck harder and that the bottom-end speed was too slow. We've increased the bottom-end speed so the passes are crisper and also increased the top-end slightly as well.

Reduced the ability to boardplay players who are far away from you.

* It was a little unrealistic being able to 'suck' a player into boardplay as he was skating away from you so we've made it much harder to pin a player that is skating away. The further he is from you, the less likely you'll be able to boardplay him.

Tuning of trade logic.

* Too many superstars were being offered up for trades so we've dialed this back along with reducing how often players are repeatedly offered up for trade.

Added the ability for a user to apply boost slots to authentic helmets.

* We've added the ability to apply boost slots to an authentic helmet so users can get the benefit of the boosts without having to wear a helmet with a design on it.

Here are some of the other main fixes that will be in the Title Update:

* Fixed the bug that would make a player sometimes exit pass blocking (L1/LT) when they got close to their goalie.
* Fixed the bug that would prevent offline Be a Pro player from getting ice-time in some situations.
* Fixed a crash that could happen on delayed penalty shots.
* Improved logic for how fighting affects teamplay scores in Be a Pro.
* Prevent L1/LT from allowing players to bypass stumble animations.
* Improvements to goalies to reduce 5-hole goals in some contexts.
* Tuned thresholds for injuries from hard shots.
* Added the ability to escape a prefight circle by pressing L2/LB.
* Fixed the bug that made it possible to "shoot" a puck slowly out of the one-handed animation such that nobody could pick it up.
* Improved goalie aggressiveness when poking the puck on cross-crease passes.
* Improved the ability of defencemen are able to do puck pickups behind them to help defend cross-crease passes.
* Reduced the ability to stuff the puck through the goalie by running into him without shooting (most common on wraparounds and reaching puck pickups).
* Reduced accidental interference in front of net.
* Fixed the offline Be a Pro line-change bug where the player is stuck at the bench.
* Prevent slap passes from being deflected at large angles.
* Fixed the bug where the goalie does not react to a shot if he's banging his stick on the ice to signal the end of a penalty.
* Fixed the bug that makes flip dumps to the middle of the offensive zone go over the glass frequently.
* Fixed the bug that makes CPU center win draws to the the same side all of the time.
* Fixed the bug in the stat tracking of passing.
* Prevent accidental saucer passes after receiving the puck while trying to poke check (because both actions are on R1/RT).
* Tuning to reduce occurrence of tripping penalties when the player being tripped is stationary or moving slowly.
* Tuning to game logic to make it a little easier to stay up on the NHL team during 4-game trial in BAP.
* Many other changes to improve our ability to refine the gameplay tuning with via tuner sets."

NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 28 - View All
NHL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 DevilsEve666 @ 11/04/09 12:27 AM
The CPU AI is incredibly bad...CPU passing when they have open shots...CPU scared to cross my blue line (even on breakaway)....CPU wingers bring puck in along boards so they're easy to hit...CPU will pas 30-40 times before taking a shot on goal...I once held the CPU to 2 shots in an entire period...i really hope they fix these things in next patch

# 122 Vikes1 @ 11/04/09 03:11 AM
After playing a few more games, I decided to delete the patch.

And the bit more "sloppy" gameplay has returned. Not really too sure of the actual benefits I'm sacrificing with the deleting. But I do enjoy the gameplay more without the patch being active. So I think I'll go patch less for the time being.

# 123 Vikes1 @ 11/04/09 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack

Now, I just need to figure out how to score again, lol. I've scored a total of 2 goals in my last 5 games, and have lost my last 3 all by shutout. Having Stastny out is really starting to affect my team.
Yep DJ, I've suffered through spells like that too.

Bummer about the injury. But it's at least good to know that having a highly rated player in/out of the lineup, actually matters.

# 124 Qb @ 11/04/09 08:05 AM
Two more offline games last night (played the PIT/ANA game twice) and two more losses for me. At least I battled back from a 3-0 defecit in the second to make it interesting at 4-3. Now my confindence is a little shaken heading into two 1v1 league games tonight...

# 125 Flyermania @ 11/04/09 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
Actually I feel sorry for them because many of them buy sports game just to dissect them and the harder is to find major bugs the more they cry about minor ones. I think all this drama about pass #'s has taken the cake with ridiculous complaints. At least I didn't make a thread about it.
Your sympathy isn't needed...there is nothing wrong with die-hard hockey fans or fans of this series wanting improvements in fundamental areas of the game. This game is supposed to emulate the sport...watch any hockey game and you will see an infinite number of loose pucks, errant passes, and battles along the boards. It is an integral part of the NHL --- and something that just isn't in NHL 10 enough.

I play video games to have fun...hockey is my favorite sport, and I want the hockey video games to emulate real hockey as much as possible. EA's game is too smooth, too accurate with the passing, too up-and-down the ice. You may be fine with that, but that doesn't mean it's OK with everyone. While the game has made some great strides, there are just as many areas (moreso in the offline game) that have regressed --- the passing was much more realistic in NHL 08 or NHL 2004 for that matter.

# 126 savoie2006 @ 11/04/09 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsEve666
The CPU AI is incredibly bad...CPU passing when they have open shots...CPU scared to cross my blue line (even on breakaway)....CPU wingers bring puck in along boards so they're easy to hit...CPU will pas 30-40 times before taking a shot on goal...I once held the CPU to 2 shots in an entire period...i really hope they fix these things in next patch
Yeah, not sure why they changed the Offensive AI from NHL 09, though it was predictable too, at least they weren't afraid to shoot the puck. Since they patching the Freezing issues, hopefully the Offensive AI issues are included in with that. The game would be at its best if that happened.

# 127 StormJH1 @ 11/04/09 12:22 PM
The only thing that really irritates me is the cheesy tic-tac-toe passing that the CPU AI does. It doesn't really result in a lot of unfair goals for them, but it just detracts from a lot of the other gameplay, which is generally realistic.

I popped in a copy of NHL 2k8, just for comparison's sake, and while I much prefer the EA version to the 2k version, 2k8 does some things with shot accuracy, faceoffs, and goaltending that feel more realistic than NHL 10. Sadly, the 2k game switched developers in 2k9, and that franchise has totally fallen off the wagon now. I would be surprised if EA Vancouver is even cognizant of what the other game is doing, which is too bad b/c there isn't any genuine competition anymore.

# 128 Broncos86 @ 11/04/09 02:14 PM
That was an irritant of mine with NHL09 and NHL10: the CPU passing. It's something that I ignore, atm, with the hope that EA is listening and takes care of the issue.

Really, the problem stems from how quickly players recover from movement and passing. I'm sure NHL players would love the ability to handle the puck and pass in the manner that players can in NHL10. Players are instantly ready to do whatever they want with the puck the moment it hits the stick.

# 129 savoie2006 @ 11/04/09 04:03 PM
Quote:
Sadly, the 2k game switched developers in 2k9, and that franchise has totally fallen off the wagon now. I would be surprised if EA Vancouver is even cognizant of what the other game is doing, which is too bad b/c there isn't any genuine competition anymore.
I think you're overreacting a bit. It's far from sad that 2K made VC the developer of their hockey series. Considering that VC has done two things in less than 2 years that Kush couldn't accomplish in over 4. First, make the game actually look next gen. Secondly, program the AI to behave rather realistically. Yeah, the game has it's share of faults and so does the competition, but that's expected.

It's easy to forget how bad the EA series was when it started rebuilding with NHL 07 and look where they are now. Should VC have the funds to continue the 2K Hockey games, I have no doubts they will make the same, if not more progress. NHL 2K9 was bad, I'll grant you that, but 2K10, while definately lacking overall polish, is a big step in the right direction if you ask me. Much like NHL 08 was compared to NHL 07. Sorry for the slight drailing of the thread.

# 130 Vikes1 @ 11/04/09 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
there is nothing wrong with die-hard hockey fans or fans of this series wanting improvements in fundamental areas of the game.
I sure agree Flyer.

In fact, imo, the discussion and comments about NHL '10' overall, has been pretty positive and civil. I certainly would say there hasn't been much of a backlash about how the game turned out.

My guess is, the majority of the common posters on our board, would say their pleased to very pleased, with this years game.

# 131 DevilsEve666 @ 11/05/09 12:50 AM
Will there be another patch? i've only played nhl 09 and nhl 10 so i'm wondering how many patches will we get before they call it quits?

# 132 matt8204 @ 11/05/09 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
The problems is if they do all that they will lose a lot of casual fans of the game. People like being able to play like A.O. even with a 3rd liner. So I don't think they will go that route. I just think it is something you have to get used too.
That's the balance that developers need to strike. Fun vs. hardcore realism. The reality is that there are more casual fans than hardcore fans and they need to take that into consideration when making the game.

# 133 Qb @ 11/05/09 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Not to derail things, but I'm pretty confident there is an Impressions Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...thread-60.html

Edit: And of course, after I post this, they unsticky the impressions thread.
Yeah, I unstuck the original impressions thread and I didn't do it to mess with you... honest. I thought it was unnecessary to have a post-patch impressions and the original one up at the same time.

I'm going to merge this thread in with the stickied one, as they serve the same purpose.

# 134 Vikes1 @ 11/05/09 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
That's the balance that developers need to strike. Fun vs. hardcore realism. The reality is that there are more casual fans than hardcore fans and they need to take that into consideration when making the game.
Very true Matt.

And I imagine thats a pretty tough balance to find. Thats why imo, effective sliders are so important. Granted, sliders can only do so much. If for instance the gameplay is truly poorly programmed, sliders won't fix busted gameplay. In my experience anyway. But if the gameplay is at least decent, and a reasonable balance is achieved between Causal/Sim....you'd hope that sliders could effectively push the gameplay, one way or the other.

After watching a number of games on tv this year...I'm kind of surprised at how much "Dump and chase" is really used. I suppose it has a lot to do with line changes, as well as strategy. I know nothings ever this easy, but it'd be great if you could just raise the aggression slider to 6, and wallah, no more skating in free and easy. Then lower the goalie sliders to compensate for the fewer truly great scoring chances you'd be seeing. It'd be great if it was that simple.

I really enjoy NHL '10'. It's my favorite sports game. And overall, I think EA Canada has done a decent job of balancing Casual/Sim. By way of making the gameplay pretty freewheeling...then making the goalies tough to score on, to keep the scoring from getting out of control. Maybe not the best solution, but the game sure is fun to play. But again...I do wish the sliders were powerful enough to truly change the game, to more of what we see in real life.

# 135 Jeffrey99 @ 11/05/09 05:06 PM
As to the poster about NHL 10 thoughts:

I'd give it about a 7 out of 10. I just don't think it's that good of a game. I myself would pick post patch 09 over 10 anyday. Post patch 09 was a awesome game and for some reason 10 went the complete opposite way. I thought post patch 09 was a much better game, the only thing I think is better about 10 is the BAP goalie controls.

EA took out a ton of penaties. No longer is interference called right. No more checking from behind, no more real interference calls. The penalites are back to 08&07 stage. 90% are tripping with a few slashing and hooking calls thrown in. Very seldom your see something different, like a elbow or high sticking.

The after whistle stuff is completley unrealistic and dumb. You don't fight in the NHL after a whistle, you fight during the play. Now them adding the ability to fight as soon as the puck drops would be realistic. THe board play is unrealistic but seems to be alittle better post patch. Atleast now it appears the CPU can't board play you from behind while your on a breakway along the boards.

Not to mention the new EASHL goofy equipment has killed me wanting to play that league. Nothing more realistic then to see 5 people on a NHL team with 5 different collored helmets & gloves.

To me the game is good if you take it what it is, a decent goalie BAP game, where your AI teammates play nothing near realistic hockey. But to try and sell it's self as a sim product, I think it falls short. Course, competition isn't any better. If they'd add the new goalie controls to 09, I myself would take it over 10.

# 136 plaidchuck @ 11/05/09 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99
As to the poster about NHL 10 thoughts:

I'd give it about a 7 out of 10. I just don't think it's that good of a game. I myself would pick post patch 09 over 10 anyday. Post patch 09 was a awesome game and for some reason 10 went the complete opposite way. I thought post patch 09 was a much better game, the only thing I think is better about 10 is the BAP goalie controls.

EA took out a ton of penaties. No longer is interference called right. No more checking from behind, no more real interference calls. The penalites are back to 08&07 stage. 90% are tripping with a few slashing and hooking calls thrown in. Very seldom your see something different, like a elbow or high sticking.
Come on man, whens the last time you saw checking from behind called in a game? And besides it wasn't right before since it always should come with a major and a game misconduct...

# 137 DJ @ 11/05/09 07:10 PM
I'm noticing a lot more 2-0, 3-0, 2-1 type of games post-patch. Pre-patch, I was scoring goals at a good clip. Now, I've been shutout in 4 of my last 6 games I'm not doing anything different, just shots aren't going in.

I don't know if AI Learning has anything to do with that or not. I'm thinking I may lower that a tad and see if that makes a difference.

# 138 Jeffrey99 @ 11/05/09 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Come on man, whens the last time you saw checking from behind called in a game? And besides it wasn't right before since it always should come with a major and a game misconduct...
That's because NHL players are smart enough not to do it. Your normal EASHL player, not so much. Even if they take out checking from behind, interference isn't called right. Boarding is never called. According the NHL EA's watching, tripping is the penalty called 99% of the time, which isn't realistic.

# 139 plaidchuck @ 11/05/09 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey99
That's because NHL players are smart enough not to do it. Your normal EASHL player, not so much. Even if they take out checking from behind, interference isn't called right. Boarding is never called. According the NHL EA's watching, tripping is the penalty called 99% of the time, which isn't realistic.
I will say for one thing there are waay too many offensive zone penalties (i.e. player turns over puck in the offensive zone and then slashes/hooks)

Of course, aggression/penalty sliders and discipline ratings no doubt affect this as well..

# 140 Smitty730 @ 11/06/09 02:24 AM
Pronger gets called for checking from behind at least one time every other game for me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.