Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Madden NFL 10 patch #2 is now available for the Xbox 360. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 MCNABB51BOI @ 12/10/09 12:21 PM
just played a game online flats play def alot better depends on the match up brian cushing stopped leon washington for a no gain on not a swig but the angle route out of the back field multiple times so i like the way the flats are played

twice on cover 2 to i tried to hit a quick dump to the slot in the flatts the corner was there to make break it up. i swear the drags where also coverd alot better in zone witch i liked

yea outside running game blocking seemed better i got the corner a few times sense the guy tryed to stack his backers in the box to mess up the blocking AI i switch to a outside run and was able to gain 4 yards atleast a pop

i like the patch

# 62 Phennixx @ 12/10/09 12:22 PM
I played about and hour or two before I had to roll to work, IMHO its a solid patch, not perfect but makes Madden 09 a very good game.

I noticed better O-Line play but I also think that everyones expirence will be varied is due to sliders and plays styles.

I like that the flats are not a cheese spot and the defense takes much better angles to tackle.

Green Seahawks Uni's are sweet, gotta love it as well as the other small graphics. Also noticed a cut-scene for my Lions I had never seen, talking about the new coach and some other stuff which I liked.

I played as a 3-4 team and was able to get pressure and realistic basis with OLB's, but it may be my sliders

All in all the game feels pretty complete for this cycle of Madden, I'd love some huge changes next year and a totally re-vamped franchise but I know feel that I've gotten my $60.00 value out of Madden and didn't feel that way prior to patch # 2

# 63 mkeller25 @ 12/10/09 12:32 PM
Wow the angle route is covered now... I don't believe that, lol. I mean I hope its true but that route has been unstoppable for 3 years running.

# 64 DGuinta1 @ 12/10/09 12:54 PM
Nice to finally see the AI receivers catch the ball along the sidelines and turn up field!!!!

Is the AFL pack only good for one franchise season? Sorry to go off topic.

# 65 Valdarez @ 12/10/09 01:33 PM
This was my impression from playing one game. I'm using the NFL Simulation sliders. My general take away is an utter sense of disgust at EA Sports refusing to remove the overlay Ads, frustration at interception slider not working properly (0 still results in INTs), and happiness over QBs no longer making poor passes and tucking the ball and running (I'll be able to alter the NFL Sliders now to better represent the game).

The Good
  • CPU QB's are no longer throwing the ball to get rid of it when a play breaks down, instead choosing to tuck the ball and run, which is great. (so very nice to see!)
  • CPU's QB appear to be making smarter reads / passes.
  • Not as many duck throws by QBs, instead Sacks are occurring.
  • Beginner Playcalling doesn't go for 2 when down in the 3rd now (this is random, so may not be a fix, so here's for hoping it sticks in future games)
  • Blitzing did seem toned down.
  • CPU kickers accuracy seems more accurate (initial impression, I have FG Accuracy at 15, may be wishful thinking, need more testing to verify)
  • Chain Gang appears to be toned down (though still displayed twice)
  • DBs continue to react better to the ball than WRs (actually start to make play on the ball 'right' as you press the throw button)
The Bad
  • Overlay Ads are STILL in the game. So much for EA putting their consumers / fans first.
  • QB's tuck the ball and run, but they get 5 yards past the line of scrimmage before the LBs react (this may be a slider issue)
  • Still seeing LBs swatting down balls 10 yards off passes (mid 20 yard passes), which just isn't realistic no matter what sliders are employed.
  • Outside edge still doesn't seal properly (personally, I don't mind this, but others may)
  • Flats still open pretty much every play.
  • Duck throws still appear to be primarily at the feet of the lineman or roughly to the line of scrimmage for some reason. (Was hit, had duck throw go to lineman which caught it and ran it back to 1 yard line in 1st game, INT settings are on 0)
  • INT settings at 0 still allow interceptions to occur
  • Not a single Penalty slider was fixed
  • WR's are still beginning their catch animations (arms outstretched) 5+ yards too soon.
  • Offensive line changes still appear to be counter intuitive (left to run right, right run left) due too suction blocking (possibly related to slider settings, but doubtful)
  • Block pathing is still bad, bad, and more bad. Had several plays where my lead blocker ignored 2 guys right in front of him, just brushing them to try to block a guy 10 to 15 yards off the play. Why???
  • Beginner Playcalling still calls a high amount of all out blitzes for the player (definitely not 'easier')
  • Still able to run standard kickoff when the ball goes to the right / left back for large gains / TDs.
  • No way to click through chain gang animation. (why MUST we watch it?)

# 66 Blazzen @ 12/10/09 01:34 PM
I played about a quarter and a half during my lunch break.

Panthers (me) vs. Browns, preseason. Was using slightly modified DB's Stat Accurate sliders.

Score was 31-7 when I turned it off. This was mainly due to 2 forced fumbles, one which was returned for a TD, one that setup a short field for a quick TD.

Browns had one long touchdown on a play i blitzed and left a LB on a WR.

I was moving the ball with ease through the air. The lob passes seem much easier to get in, defenders not making superman plays batting the ball down with their backs turned over their shoulders.

Running seemed about the same for the user, but CPU running was getting stuffed a little bit. I did see blocking much improved as far as guys moving up to the next level to make blocks. I also saw defensive pursuit much improved.

Regarding the flats I had one screen pass that was stuffed on what seemed a man/cover 1 defense. I had another screen pass go for 15 yards because of DeAngelo breaking two tackles, defense was either cover 3 or cover 4 zone on a 3rd and 14.

Didn't see any extra replays on TDs, did see less of the chain gang.

Overall they did what they said they were going to do. Sliders will have to be tweaked a little bit but other than that pretty damn good.

Excited to get my franchise started.

# 67 Jistic @ 12/10/09 01:58 PM
Someone check a Bears home franchise game and see if the noon games actually look like noon and not 4pm please.

# 68 bukktown @ 12/10/09 02:10 PM
Played 1 game on ALL PRO default and won 49-14, Vikes vs Pack. I really cant tell much difference in gameplay but I havent really played since september.

# 69 TeamBuilder @ 12/10/09 02:27 PM
In 3 franchise games I've played I've returned about 10 kickoffs and there have been 4 holding calls... I'm hoping this is just unlucky and not something the patch broke.

# 70 roadman @ 12/10/09 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
Replays still not finishing after touchdowns, flats are still not cured yet. I'm on default settings and fatigue is at 65%. Cant even get the sack, wasnt EA suppose to do something about that after all the complaints? Is anyone getting a sack with there d-linemen? I have played 7 games now and havent gotten one sack with playing the d-lineman. U know this is absurd, we have complained about the o-line and d-line, ea has done nothing and yet they focus on helments, come on man!!! Anyone has sliders to help with this..please help, this is getting frustrating??
I've played 2 game so far and I've seen replays after every touchdown. In the first game, I controlled the LB's and didn't record a sack. In the second game, Jolly had 1 sack and almost had another.

Flaco went deep on me a few times and completed one over the out stretched hands of Harris.

I've finally have hit Driver and Jennings with passes instead of the always looking for the underneath stuff.

I'm using custom sliders close to default. I think they are called Custom sliders after patch 2.

Also, what I thought was fantastic was that Jordy Nelson returned a kickoff to the 16 yd line. Pre-patch he would have returned it for a TD, but there was one player on the Ravens that turned his inside hips twice to make the tackle.

Awesome.

# 71 roadman @ 12/10/09 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Yep, it all depends on your sliders. I suggest you guys give these a shot http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pdate-2-a.html.
I'm not sure roadman if you were referring to these, but these are close to default.

I've seen sacks(plenty 5 against the Rams and 8 against the Lions).
I don't have a 99 rated player at kr, Im using the young cats that are lower rated for KRs(R. Cartwright) and PRs(D. Thomas) and its been much better challenge returning kicks now.
Those are the one's I was referring to.

# 72 Skuxx24 @ 12/10/09 03:52 PM
Ok the patch is great it fixes a lot of gameplay improvements the man to man is better also the flats seemed to be fixed. But the big concern is the franchise stats The RBS number can be fixed with coaching sliders but the tackle issue still seems to be a problem.

Im glad corner tackles went up which was great but they have taken away tackles from other postions as well such as FS and SS. i sim over 3 seasons and All FS averaged around 24 tackles a season that is ridculous. I din't wana see Bethea, Dawkins and Nick Collins getting only 1 tackle a game or worse none at all. It is minor but still if they can;t get stats right maybe hire a guy that works on stats for the NFL or something.

Other than that the patch great for me great to See trent cole finallly getting to the QB without him throwing it out before he does. The cpu running seems to be better i played the redskins and portis got 105 on 19 carries.

Overall it is a good patch i beleive kudos to EA

# 73 icicle22 @ 12/10/09 04:13 PM
I haven't tried it yet as I am at work, but I am concerned about the kick returns becoming more difficult. I play as the Browns and have Josh Cribbs who should be a good return man. And he was prior to patch 1. I used to be able to return kickoffs really well...then patch 1 neutralized him and kick returns have been futile since. he cannot outrun anyone to the corners and goes down easily. However I hear many of you saying that patch 2 is tightening up kick coverage even more. What am I missing? I hate to have this aspect of the game become even more frustrating.

# 74 nld230 @ 12/10/09 04:18 PM
The best kick returners might bring two or 3 kickoffs back for a TD in their career. Devin Hester, in 2007, returned an astonishing 4 punts back for TDs, and 2 kickoffs.

Even the best returners should be stopped on nearly every return. Hester was even greatly helped by facing the 07 Rams inept special teams.

So, if Cribbs returns only 1 kickoff for a TD, that's still good by NFL standards. And if he averages kickoffs around the 30 yard line, that's good for NFL standards.

# 75 DaveDQ @ 12/10/09 04:27 PM
One thing about the "duck" throws. You know, if you make a pass in desperation, and you have pressure, that should happen. It happened to Brady this past week. What I'm noticing is they don't have the airtime and arch they once did. They seem faster.

I think it should be there and I know for me sometimes I need to hit that throw away button.

# 76 sportyguyfl31 @ 12/10/09 05:03 PM
Going to be home in 15 minutes..Im going to play a game online and on defense im going to play with a DL every down, so I can see how the AI is responding.

On offense, Im going to force the ball into the flats and short zones, and see what I get away with.

# 77 BlueNGold @ 12/10/09 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phennixx
All in all the game feels pretty complete for this cycle of Madden, I'd love some huge changes next year and a totally re-vamped franchise but I know feel that I've gotten my $60.00 value out of Madden and didn't feel that way prior to patch # 2
I feel the same way now. I did like the game pre patch but all of those issues were really, really ruining any fun I was having but now after the patch things feel great and I'm having a good time playing online and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
the good:
-suction on the line(and in general) has been greatly reduced
This is something I've noticed as well. Blitzing feels a lot more natural now. I had one play in a game where I called a SS blitz and I was actually able to open up a blitz lane for my SS and he got to the QB without getting sucked into any blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
So is it showing the draft info for the pre-made or imported rookies?
Haven't checked this yet but I will soon. I only looked at Antonio Gates to confirm the draft info was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCrenshaw
Just a small thing, but are the blocks on the back of the helmets for the Patriots and other teams gone?

Thanks!
PS3 guys already said this was fixed.

# 78 WG5516 @ 12/10/09 05:10 PM
Using the custom Sliders and playing on All Pro 6 Min.

I just smoked Pittsburgh (91 Overall) 55-3

Key Notes:

-Roethlisberger had 6 Ints.
-I wasn't able to sit back and throw in my crossing routes all game.
-The game blew open in the 3rd when I scored 2 Defensive TD both Pick 6s from Terrance Newman
-Romo had 235yrds 3Tds... (Way below my avg)
-Also the CPU AI was on point and took away my #1 receiver. M. Crabtree finished with 1 catch for 17yrds. While my slot reciever, Devin Thomas finished with 8rec for 103.
-Run game blocking was on point
-LOTS of instant replays.

The BAD:
-On two occasions 1 for me and 1 for the CPU, our receivers were clearly in bounds and they called it an incomplete pass.

# 79 rickypro @ 12/10/09 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
In 3 franchise games I've played I've returned about 10 kickoffs and there have been 4 holding calls... I'm hoping this is just unlucky and not something the patch broke.
That ratio is probably not far off of the real life figures. Seems like there is a flag on lots of returns these days.

# 80 astarr @ 12/10/09 05:19 PM
I played a pre-season game vs the Colts (it's year 3 so my team is completley changed through draft picks, but the Colts still have their core guys). I gotta say I loved the way the game played. I use Bill Harris' Sliders. I love the improved blocking, kick returns are more difficult, CPU AI appears better on D (I called the same pass play 3 times in a row TE and WR go to flats on speed out routes and RB does an angle route while the remaining 2 WRs go on streaks, anyway, CPU shut it down by simply covering everyone up and I had to throw the ball away).

I think these are great. I believe in Sim style sports games, but I don't mind putting up with some high RB numbers. Hopefully next year EA can really nail Franchise mode with correct stats and such.

I am happy with this game now. Just waiting for the new roster update and I will restart my new franchise. Go Hawks!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.