Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports Signs All-Star Lineup to
Promote Major League Baseball® 2K10 this Season

Cover athlete Evan Longoria to be joined by seven of
the top players in Major League Baseball®

January 7, 2010 – In addition to cover athlete Evan Longoria, third baseman for the Tampa Bay Rays®, 2K Sports announced today that they have partnered with seven additional elite baseball superstars to help promote Major League Baseball® 2K10. The players will form an impressive council, who will serve as active spokesmen and invaluable gameplay advisors for the title this season. These seven players were selected not only for their excellence on the baseball diamond, but also for their commitment and desire to help create the most authentic MLB video game to date.

The council of players for Major League Baseball® 2K10 include:
  • Andrew Bailey, relief pitcher of the Oakland Athletics®
    2009 American League Rookie of the Year and American League All-Star
  • Felix Hernandez, starting pitcher of the Seattle Mariners®
    2009 American League All-Star
  • Jose Reyes, shortstop of the New York Mets®
    2-time National League All-Star selection
  • Justin Morneau, first baseman of the Minnesota Twins®
    2006 American League Most Valuable Player
  • Justin Verlander, starting pitcher of the Detroit Tigers®
    2-time American League All-Star selection
  • Kendry Morales, first baseman of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim®
    August 2009 American League Player of the Month
  • Nelson Cruz, outfielder of the Texas Rangers®
    2009 American League All-Star

“We look to partner with the top emerging talent every year to assist us in shaping our MLB 2K franchise,” said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. “Working with these seven elite players to ensure our product is up to their standards presents a fantastic opportunity for 2K Sports. These players embody the 2K Sports brand, and we are excited to work with them on Major League Baseball 2K10.”

As part of their partnership with 2K Sports, the athletes will consult with the development team at 2K Sports’ Visual Concepts studio to provide their expertise and recommendations for how to maximize the realism of Major League Baseball 2K10 and create the most authentic pitcher–batter battle experiences. These players will also appear in an upcoming “Pitchers vs. Hitters” video series that will highlight the intense battle from the mound to the batter’s box in Major League Baseball 2K10.

Major League Baseball 2K10 is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB and will be available on March 2, 2010 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Wii™ system, Nintendo DS™ and Windows PC. For more information about Major League Baseball 2K10, please visit http://www.2ksports.com/games/mlb2k10.

2K Sports is a division of 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 myghty @ 01/08/10 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Rather than sign and pay all those players to promote the game, why didn't they just take that money and put it INTO the development of the game itself? Oh wait I forgot this is 2k where the only sports title that gets the budget and effort it needs is NBA.
Seriously... They could've hired more programmers, mo-cappers, or anything to improve the development. Instead they just made some baseball players richer...

# 22 PhillsPhan26 @ 01/08/10 10:53 AM
2K had their last chance IMO. They should of just stuck with the three year plan they had in place when Brinkman took over 2K7 and maybe this game would be half decent by now but instead after the first year they totally went away with what they had in 2K7, instead of adding to it and building they just seemed to try and start over and went backwards.

# 23 Pared @ 01/08/10 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghm125
ehhhh wont get me again,the show is all I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I wish I could afford a PS3 for the Show because I don't think even an "expert" panel can save this game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols bravesfan
Man, I LOVE having a PS3.
Guys,

Posts like this won't be tolerated in this forum. You want to troll, do it elsewhere.

There are individuals who are genuinely interested in this game and I'm sure they don't appreciate having to read this when they're trying to find information about 2k's baseball game.

# 24 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/08/10 11:45 AM
Why do they put out vids like this? It make no sense to me. There not showing gameplay again, just like last year. And we all know what happened last year. One of, or the worst games I ever played.

Well, it doesn't make any difference to me. I have a ps3 so The Show will be all I need this year.

Good luck to you 360 only users. I really feel for you guys.

# 25 nemesis04 @ 01/08/10 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Why do they put out vids like this? It make no sense to me. There not showing gameplay again, just like last year. And we all know what happened last year. One of, or the worst games I ever played.

Well, it doesn't make any difference to me. I have a ps3 so The Show will be all I need this year.

Good luck to you 360 only users. I really feel for you guys.
I guess you did not read the post one up from yours?

# 26 Senor_Herbatron @ 01/08/10 12:36 PM
I wish they'd show some actual gameplay so we can get a feel for what we have to look forward to with 2010.

# 27 bhurst99 @ 01/08/10 12:38 PM
At this point in the development cycle, 2K must have some game play footage they can show people. If they don't start showing what improvements they have made people are going to assume the worst.

After last year's poor performance the onus is really on 2K to sell this to a skeptical public. These videos are not going to help.

# 28 DirtyJerz32 @ 01/08/10 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I guess you did not read the post one up from yours?
Nope sorry. But, as many people here know I don't troll. Look at all my other posts. I'm far from it.

What I did was read the info that was given, watched the vid and then commented.

I was one of those people who actually played last years game for a while. I just don't understand why 2k puts out vids like these.

But, anyway no bashing here or trolling. Since I'm not buying the game I have no reason to post here. I'll move on.

Late.

Thread please carry on, sorry to go off topic.

# 29 SoxFan01605 @ 01/08/10 03:07 PM
I agree with Jim...sending a handful of diehards would be much more effective (and cost-efficient for that matter) than going after some "All-Star Panel" to give insights on the game. I mean, they are pro players so I'm sure they have plenty to offer, but that doesn't necessarily speak to them knowing what translates to a video game representation we'll enjoy.

That said, I don't understand the overreaction of some to this news. I'm looking for real info as much as anyone, but it's not as if this decision will make the game worse. It's just poor marketing (a long-time flaw of 2K Sports IMO) and perhaps a misguided effort IMO. I don't think it's any indicator (one way or the other) of what to expect in terms of quality. It's an odd move, but nothing to jump off a bridge over or anything.

# 30 Galvatron @ 01/08/10 03:16 PM
Sigh...2K. I wanna turn the clock back a bit. 2005. Kush took over development. Released 2K5. Game is filled with stat and scheduling bugs,no fatigue. 2006, releases next-gen 2K6 with more problems(too many to list). 2K7. Great game,actually pulled me away from The Show and played an entire season...until I caught the postseason freeze! Through with the series at this point, but still held out hope for a improved effort. Bought The Show 08. Baseball bliss! Rented 2K8. Another few steps backwards. 2K9...Oh dear, but hey,new developers...so they get a slight pass. We're now at a point where The Show is approaching perfection, and 2K has to know this. And this is the problem I'm seeing. With their financial woes, years of bad reviews, and a failed exclusivity deal, I'm convinced they're now simply going through the motions as far as marketing is concerned. There should have been a HUGE effort to gain back our respect with some sort of marketing push way ahead of each release since 2K7. Instead we get this.Year after year. I'm sorry if this sounds like trolling(since that word now seems to have lost all meaning) but 2K obviously is not listening or else there'd be SOME kind of info by now. Even if the game isn't looking up to snuff, you gotta at least TRY to get us interested!

# 31 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kursekain
Sigh...2K. I wanna turn the clock back a bit. 2005. Kush took over development. Released 2K5. Game is filled with stat and scheduling bugs,no fatigue. 2006, releases next-gen 2K6 with more problems(too many to list). 2K7. Great game,actually pulled me away from The Show and played an entire season...until I caught the postseason freeze! Through with the series at this point, but still held out hope for a improved effort. Bought The Show 08. Baseball bliss! Rented 2K8. Another few steps backwards. 2K9...Oh dear, but hey,new developers...so they get a slight pass. We're now at a point where The Show is approaching perfection, and 2K has to know this. And this is the problem I'm seeing. With their financial woes, years of bad reviews, and a failed exclusivity deal, I'm convinced they're now simply going through the motions as far as marketing is concerned. There should have been a HUGE effort to gain back our respect with some sort of marketing push way ahead of each release since 2K7. Instead we get this.Year after year. I'm sorry if this sounds like trolling(since that word now seems to have lost all meaning) but 2K obviously is not listening or else there'd be SOME kind of info by now. Even if the game isn't looking up to snuff, you gotta at least TRY to get us interested!
I really don't get why they didn't take 2k7 and improve on it.

# 32 Altimus @ 01/08/10 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Where's the game, lol. It's a GAME trailer 2k, GAME!

I just don't get it.
Seriously... I'm getting tired of this BS. Spending time and money so we see this useless clips?

# 33 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Seriously... I'm getting tired of this BS. Spending time and money so we see this useless clips?
Me too!! Come on 2k.

# 34 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
whats the difference in gettting gameplay videos last week or 2 weeks after or even 3 weeks after? Baseball season interest hasnt even started to ramp up yet?

Thats one thing i dont understand by the fans. I am a fan as well, but i know we will get all this stuff when the time comes.

So its like ok, the show put out a few screens and maybe a video? i dont even know, but now all you do is sit and wait until the game gets released. Same day as MLB2K might i add. So, how does this help either company? I dont think it does. What helps is the final darned product.

If 2K is a good game, word of mouth will spread and the game will or at least should do better since 360 owners have 1 choice. In the end the game HAS to be good. IF its not, then they dig their grave deeper.
It also just makes the wait harder. Especially for a game like the show. If you ask any PS3 owner that is a baseball if it makes it harder to wait until release day, they would say yes. It also kind of spoils the improvements that were made.

# 35 spankdatazz22 @ 01/08/10 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
So its like ok, the show put out a few screens and maybe a video? i dont even know, but now all you do is sit and wait until the game gets released. Same day as MLB2K might i add. So, how does this help either company? I dont think it does. What helps is the final darned product.
It really doesn't make that much of a difference. Last year the videos Steve put out looked great - I vaguely remember one highlight vid that was particularly exciting. The year before I remember their initial trailer generating a lot of buzz. But in the end it doesn't mean much, except to the hardcore that want to needlessly hype themselves into a frenzy. Even if 2K put out impressive videos tomorrow, at this point all it'd do is invite that many more people to talk it down and say how it means nothing. A person creates a thread saying he's reserved the game and most of the replies are [essentially] calling him stupid for doing so, and of course how great the other game will be. So at this point I don't think there's much they can do except deliver a good game.

# 36 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
It really doesn't make that much of a difference. Last year the videos Steve put out looked great - I vaguely remember one highlight vid that was particularly exciting. The year before I remember their initial trailer generating a lot of buzz. But in the end it doesn't mean much, except to the hardcore that want to needlessly hype themselves into a frenzy. Even if 2K put out impressive videos tomorrow, at this point all it'd do is invite that many more people to talk it down and say how it means nothing. A person creates a thread saying he's reserved the game and most of the replies are [essentially] calling him stupid for doing so, and of course how great the other game will be. So at this point I don't think there's much they can do except deliver a good game.
That's all I ask. No it's not the show, but if it is good and represents the game of baseball I would probably buy it. People compare it to the show and I admit I am a victim of that, but it is not meant to be compared with the show. It is a different game and at this point can't really be compared.

# 37 spankdatazz22 @ 01/08/10 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
People compare it to the show and I admit I am a victim of that, but it is not meant to be compared with the show. It is a different game and at this point can't really be compared.
I think comparisons are only natural. What I don't get is the anger some show. I don't see people directing anger towards Live for not being as good as NBA2K - people speak of it having an upside. Same with Madden, even though it still hasn't surpassed games it should've long ago lapped. People are happy it's improving.

Obviously MLB2K has improved, and I think there are a decent amount of people that's enough for and that recognize it for improving. But there seem to be many that seem fixated on saying how bad they feel the game is, and need to come into the MLB2K forum to tell people how thankful they are "to own a PS3" and how they won't be purchasing MLB2K-whatever. I know if there was a great NFL title I could only play on the PS3 I wouldn't waste my time trying to put down Madden.

# 38 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think comparisons are only natural. What I don't get is the anger some show. I don't see people directing anger towards Live for not being as good as NBA2K - people speak of it having an upside. Same with Madden, even though it still hasn't surpassed games it should've long ago lapped. People are happy it's improving.

Obviously MLB2K has improved, and I think there are a decent amount of people that's enough for and that recognize it for improving. But there seem to be many that seem fixated on saying how bad they feel the game is, and need to come into the MLB2K forum to tell people how thankful they are "to own a PS3" and how they won't be purchasing MLB2K-whatever. I know if there was a great NFL title I could only play on the PS3 I wouldn't waste my time trying to put down Madden.
Yeah I think people could make better use of their time playing the game instead of coming into the 2k forum and telling and gloating that they get to play the show. It's not our fault that we only get one choice of games. We try to make the best out of a bad situation.

# 39 baumy300 @ 01/08/10 08:40 PM
Haha, maybe they should spend their money actually improving the game rather than wasting it on these cameos.

Thank God I can afford to buy a PS3 this spring.

# 40 Jamin23 @ 01/08/10 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Jamin, these guys that did this got warned. If they continue, use report a post.

There are a few 2k guys who wander onto The Show forums also and nitpick at what they see. Don't understand what kind of kick these people get out of this, but, it's both sides. But, whoever is criticizing the game I think it's fairly deserved. The game went backward, not forward and people are going to be skeptical. If 2k visits the boards here, they should listen. I think the complaining is coming from mostly people who invested their money into this game the last few years.

Time will tell, but after just watching a few minutes of The Shows released info there is already complaining and that game is just a first week of January build. Theres an entire month left on production of that game, but people, for whatever reason are going to complain about this or that and you can tell them over and over that it's still way to early to nitpick with weeks left in production, but....nature of the beast, I guess.
I saw the bigs developers in the bigs forums asking for suggestions. Why can't the devs of the sim MLB title come on the boards and ask for suggestions? We are only trying to help make this game better. I have no problem with people criticizing the game. It is well deserved as you said, but there is no need to say this game sucks or how terrible it is or at least back it up with reasons. A lot of people make an effort to come on here and say those types of things. People really shouldn't complain about the show because that game is nearly perfect. If the developers come on here and asked for suggestions like SCEA does and tried to implement them in the game, than I think this game would turn into a true simulation, but the devs have to want to get help from the people who play the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.