Game: Gran Turismo 5Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 16 - View All
Gran Turismo 5 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 CaptainZombie @ 01/18/10 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
that was great
This is hilarious, wish they would have had GT5 in there too.

# 22 Kruza @ 01/18/10 04:06 PM
Could be.

It seems to me that -- lack of car damage aside -- Digital Polyphony is trying to accomplish the ultimate goal of total realism when it comes to driving on GT5. They're attempting to simulate the real world of experience of driving to the degree in that it would be a legitimate option for an actual racing team to compare what segment times and lap times their car has run on a real world during track testing to that of what segment and lap times are achieved with identical car settings and such while running a similar type of test in GT5.

Of course the mixing, matching and comparing of data collected from both sources (real world info vs. GT5 info) would be invalid if the car's behavior and physics along with the design of the track isn't accurately nailed down to their exact details and specifications. So Digital Polyphony will have their work cut out for them in order to make it these features on GT5 benefit those racing teams and organizations who wish to give them a chance.

Kruza

# 23 Whitesox @ 01/18/10 08:27 PM
I don't know if I missed anything in this thread, but wouldn't that also be beneficial to us because it means the track and cars will have to be exactly correct?

# 24 Blzer @ 01/18/10 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox
I don't know if I missed anything in this thread, but wouldn't that also be beneficial to us because it means the track and cars will have to be exactly correct?
I'd like to assume they would be going for this anyway, with this feature in or not.

This game is really aiming for perfection, and I think they'll hit it. I just found this feature kind of funny is all... never expected this one.

# 25 Kruza @ 01/18/10 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox

Yeah. People who prefer to experience closer-to-real-world simulation in their racing/driving videogames should and will likely love to play GT5.

But as mniner pointed out before, this feature on GT5 would best helps people on racing teams who take cars out on tracks and make frequent test runs in a car experimenting with various setups. This would be especially helpful to smaller private racing teams that has smaller budgets and access to limited resources. Owners of these smaller racing teams could possibly rely more on GT5 to do most of their testing in preparation for races if the features that puts out all the data and information from the game are as similar to the info provided from their real world counterparts as they need to be.

Kruza

# 26 burnwood @ 01/19/10 03:07 PM
This is looking very familiar to what happened with the Duke Nukem Forever team. It recently came out in a story that they were so obsessed with features that they just had to incorporate it in their game. This tsunami of indecisiveness led to a development cycle from 1997 to 2009! It never delivered up to its own hype and ultimately got canned. Maybe Take Two will do something with the rights, but nobody cares about that game since it's been stroked long enough.

I see a similar pattern here. Lots of features, LOTS of features. But will it add up to being something profitable? I seriously doubt it. Helping private race teams is one thing, but making a title that'll hopefully make money is another. LOL at this whole damn GT5 thing. It's so frustrating to watch.

# 27 rspencer86 @ 01/19/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
This is looking very familiar to what happened with the Duke Nukem Forever team. It recently came out in a story that they were so obsessed with features that they just had to incorporate it in their game. This tsunami of indecisiveness led to a development cycle from 1997 to 2009! It never delivered up to its own hype and ultimately got canned. Maybe Take Two will do something with the rights, but nobody cares about that game since it's been stroked long enough.

I see a similar pattern here. Lots of features, LOTS of features. But will it add up to being something profitable? I seriously doubt it. Helping private race teams is one thing, but making a title that'll hopefully make money is another. LOL at this whole damn GT5 thing. It's so frustrating to watch.
Agreed. At some point they will have to accept "good enough," because there will always be more features that can be added and more tuning and tweaking that can be done.

Why don't they release the game and then add the extras that will make it a useful tool to private race teams and sell that to them separately? It doesn't make sense to try to be all things to all of your customers.

# 28 Kruza @ 01/19/10 05:02 PM
Nice video. Graphics look outstanding in the in-car view, and the roaring engine of that GT-R sounded authentic. I don't want to nitpick on the guy who's nice enough to show a video of himself playing GT and uploading it on YouTube, but he should've taken off the training wheels and driven that GT-R without traction control feature and the visual racing line. I wanted to see the professional physics at work without the interference of any car handling handicaps.

Kruza

# 29 Kruza @ 01/20/10 04:38 PM
Looks spectacular. That has to be the Nurburgring Nordschleife track that this guy is racing on.

Kruza

# 30 DocHolliday @ 01/20/10 04:54 PM
I don't know why people think it is going to be any better than Forza 3. Looks no different to me.

# 31 burnwood @ 01/20/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Can you take that elsewhere please.
He hasn't even played Forza 3.

I've ignored GT5 until this point because I thought it would be ready by now. I have a few questions about GT5. Will the CPU still follow that same racing line around the track? Seems like it from these vids. And last, is that racing line dynamic (like in Forza) where the color changes depending on your speed. Seems static from what I'm witnessing.

# 32 Flawless @ 01/20/10 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Polyphony has said they have a completely new AI system. The problem is like a lot of things, they have yet to show it.

# 33 Kruza @ 01/21/10 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting that Motor Trend interview of Kazunori Yamauchi, backbreaker. It's a good read.

Interesting to note that Kaz mentions the Lexus LFA. That car doesn't even go on retail until 2011. It would be a coup for Digital Polyphony to be able to include it into GT5.

Kruza

# 34 Kruza @ 01/27/10 09:52 AM
LMAO! You're cold, man. I just assumed the guy didn't know where the brake pedal was and wrote it off as an honest mistake. (Yeah, I'm being naive.)

But yeah, it would be nice to watch a video of a player actually driving well in this game for a change.

Kruza

# 35 burnwood @ 01/27/10 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Motor Trend: How far along is GT5 from completion?

Kazunori Yamauchi: It's almost done. We're at the final stages, just brushing up the finishing touches and raising the quality of everything right now.

There'll be 950 cars, 20 locations and 70 layouts. So it'll be packed.

Any EVs and hybrids included?

Thanks bb. Most promising from this is the online capability. I give FM3 an F- in this department (I won't explain). My only disappointment is no Porsche. I play FM3 until my eyes bleed some nights and it has been in either my 997 GT2 or 997 RS. However, when GT drops I'm sure I can find another marque to get used to.

Now I just wait......

# 36 cyclone2426 @ 01/27/10 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Thanks bb. Most promising from this is the online capability. I give FM3 an F- in this department (I won't explain). My only disappointment is no Porsche. I play FM3 until my eyes bleed some nights and it has been in either my 997 GT2 or 997 RS. However, when GT drops I'm sure I can find another marque to get used to.

Now I just wait......
Ive always just got a RUF on all the GTs, makes me feel like im driving a Porsche lol.

# 37 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/28/10 11:08 AM
Not too worried about the "delay". There was never a date set for it in the States. Japan was delayed. The more polish the better.

Just sick how he mentions using the driving lines they developed for the Nurburgring, actually netted better times on it in real life, than the traditional ones used there.

# 38 ODogg @ 01/28/10 11:28 AM
Any chance Porsche could be in a car pack later on?

# 39 burnwood @ 01/28/10 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randombrother
No disrespect but you haven't a clue if you think FM3's online component is a F-. May I present to you a TRUE F- online component game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSzWGhQ5bPE
I stand by my grade. I'll defend FM on any other points though.

# 40 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/28/10 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Any chance Porsche could be in a car pack later on?

Probably not... considering they have exclusive licensing. So you will probably see the RUF versions instead.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.