Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some images to help make this easier.

Image #1

Image #2

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their batting rankings changed. This one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps.

Discuss.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 221 NDIrish98 @ 02/19/10 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
i like how the Blue Jays are better than the Cards?
my exact thoughts.

# 222 ykiki @ 02/19/10 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
their adjusted numbers outside of safeco field say otherwise....besides, you need more than one fluke season to establish yourself before making bold proclamations such as "best in baseball".....bullpens fluctuate year to year. Teams scout, figure guys out etc.

Seattle is a mediocre team, guys....don't get your hopes up too much.
What exactly is "adjusted numbers outside of safeco field"? Does that mean, unlike real life, we're supposed to pretend that they don't actually play their games there??

# 223 Raven Nation42 @ 02/20/10 08:31 AM
Good stuff as always.. can't wait to get started with this game

# 224 NoleFan72 @ 02/20/10 10:29 AM
Hmmm, the Marlins 26th? they have a great bench along with some of the best hitters in the minors....no biggie for me I play RTTS mostly anyway..

# 225 GunnerAsh @ 02/20/10 01:08 PM
I know we are bad, but dead last? Come on SCEA, give us a break. Theres no way we are worse than the Nats...

# 226 Super Glock @ 02/21/10 04:42 PM
I can already see that I am going to have to do some editing...

# 227 RedsManRick @ 02/21/10 10:40 PM
Reds at 19th overall makes sense, but 19th in fielding is laughable. They were 4th in MLB in DER last year (defensive efficiency rating) and are only poised to improve with full seasons from Rolen and Stubbs and less Johnny Gomes in LF. They are poised to be average or above average at every single position on the field, save possibly for SS with O-Cab. I just can't imagine how they'll be 19th...

I'd love more info on how they arrive at player ratings -- what stats are used, how past seasons are weighted, the role of age, etc.

# 228 wrigleyville33 @ 02/21/10 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerAsh
I know we are bad, but dead last? Come on SCEA, give us a break. Theres no way we are worse than the Nats...
Hmm... I would choose the Nats. Morgen, Zimmerman, and perhaps strasburg, with Kapps.

# 229 BatsareBugs @ 02/21/10 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
Hmm... I would choose the Nats. Morgen, Zimmerman, and perhaps strasburg, with Kapps.
Strasburg won't be in the game. Even though he's on the 40-man roster, he has yet to pitch an inning.

# 230 ParisB @ 02/22/10 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykiki
What exactly is "adjusted numbers outside of safeco field"? Does that mean, unlike real life, we're supposed to pretend that they don't actually play their games there??
ummm, the fact that several teams plays half their season in pitcher's parks and makes their stats look better than they are...or vice versa, some teams play in hitters parks.

the home/road splits go a long way to show how good a team is, along with the adjusted factors (which i already mentioned)

# 231 DJDReW3102 @ 02/22/10 10:06 AM
these ratings are possibly worse than mlb2k's this year. who would have imagined that?

# 232 ricowiz @ 02/22/10 10:29 AM
Awesome, the Nats arent last!!

These seem off though....I mean how can Baltimore be rated higher overall than Seattle???

# 233 Joepman @ 02/22/10 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
ummm, the fact that several teams plays half their season in pitcher's parks and makes their stats look better than they are...or vice versa, some teams play in hitters parks.
But it cuts both ways. Safeco may make the M's pitchers look better than they actually are, but it also makes their hitters look worse than they actually were.

# 234 Tyused @ 02/22/10 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
#1: Those are team stats. SCEA's team rankings are not based one iota on team stat composites. (Because every 2010 team has zero stats for this baseball year).

#2: SCEA's rankings are composite rankings of all the individual fielders on a team. The 2009 Mets are not composed of the exact same players as the 2010 Mets are. The game's rankings are obtained by taking each individual player, isolating them into their own team, then combining all the stats of all the isolated players to create the stats for the "team". These are then ranked and that's how you get the rankings. Throw any and all merged team stats out the window.

Ok so lets take the mets by their weakness on Defense. Their team hasn't changed that much at all. Bay is an AVG defender, Losing Delgado will help on defense, but Barajas and Santos aren't anything special behind the plate. Castillo is AVG at best at 2nd. Beltran is hurt, meaning Martinez who is dreadful in the OF may be patrolling CF. I dont see how the team changed that much? You say team stats don't matter, but those team stats are based on INDIVIDUAL stats. Meaning if Castillo has an error, it goes on his stats and the team stats. So as the Mets go player by player they are an VERY AVG defensive team and have been for years. They constantly make tons of errors and bone head plays with the same pretty much core this year and what happens?! They get the reward of being the 2nd best defensive team in baseball?!

# 235 CubsFan96 @ 02/28/10 04:56 PM
Cubs at #9 overall... Awww Yea

# 236 ParisB @ 02/28/10 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepman
But it cuts both ways. Safeco may make the M's pitchers look better than they actually are, but it also makes their hitters look worse than they actually were.
they were even worse on the road

# 237 Cras @ 02/28/10 06:20 PM
Indians ranked last? Yup, sounds right to me!

# 238 FoxHoundADAM @ 05/04/10 05:00 PM
I'm still in shock at my Cards rankings. I understand your logic behind it but are the benches and relief pitching weighted at all?

I'm OK with the Batting/Defense as the batting does drop off a little after Pujols/Holliday but cetainly they have at least a top 10 pitching staff, if not top 5.

The first time I saw that in that game my jaw hit the floor, I honestly thought there was some kind of bug, like they hadn't put Holliday on the roater, or they had Carp on the DL or something. Good to know I wasn't the only one.

# 239 slickkill77 @ 05/04/10 06:54 PM
The Rays 12th in pitching? Hmmmm yea

# 240 FoxHoundADAM @ 05/05/10 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabeeds
Swapping Tatis to the Cards made them go from 20 to 13 in hitting ???? Lol
Bench players should have less of an impact on the ratings compared to everyday players.
Exactly. That's why I asked if the bench players were weighted. Although it sounds like they aren't. That means Puols average has just as much of an impact as say, Nick Stavanougha's even though Pujols plays everyday and Nick plays maybe once every four games. That doesn't make sense.

Although really it doens't matter as obvioulsy your starters are who you generally play as so if you're teams good they are good, regardless of the "overall" rankings.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.