Home
Backbreaker News Post

Gamespot has posted video developer diary #2 from Backbreaker. This one covering Euphoria.

Quote:
"The developers go in-depth into their Eurphoria engine to show off the amazing things it does in Backbreaker."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 81 gamerk2 @ 02/21/10 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
Way to keep a level head here, bro. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. As a programmer, I would never had thought it possible to do what NaturalMotion has done thus far. With that being said, I feel that it is safe to say that the rest of the game will be just as impressive. Some things may not be to our liking as each one of us has a different opinion about video games, but for the most part, Backbreaker looks to be solid and have all the aspects of "Real Football" down. If EA Sports goes down the road of working with NM to implement all of their technology into the Madden NFL series for Madden NFL 12, then thay can say "It's In the Game!" and I will actually be able to say that it finally is.
Agreed. Euphoria is a good decade ahead of its time; I though PhysX would be the future of gaming for the next decade...

I said it from the beginning: If the engine works as it should, and the AI is solid, Madden and every single gameplay engine in existance will look old and antiquated. All are animation/script based, while Euphoria went with physics/behavior.

I frankly have no idea how they got this to run at any reasonable speed, as the Physics calculations alone should have broken any CPU setup out there...

At this point: As long as the AI isn't prone to stupidity (like 2k5's DB's, for instance), the game will be at least a 7.5 title thats worth looking at (keeping in mind Madden's been hoving around 8 for the past few years...). I just wonder how many major reviews will knock it down for not having the NFL license [though no fault of thier own...].

# 82 gamerk2 @ 02/21/10 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
There is an office in California as well, but that doesn't worry me.

I'm not being smirk here, but EA might want to push it back til August 2012 if they want to build a solid football game. I see no problem with that at all. I love watching the NFL and I would love to play a good NFL game.
I doubt that will ever happen, unless they hand Madden back to Visual Concepts...Heck, they basically copied the PS2 engine when they "started fresh" on next-gen consoles...EA will never cancel Madden, simply because of revenue/stock price concerns. And why bother re-doing the engine if sales don't take a hit.

That being said, NM better understand that 250k in sales would be fantastic. Remember, even 2k could only muster around 400k in sales [2k5's 2.5 million being the obvious exception...].

# 83 t11 @ 02/21/10 03:03 AM
OMG, I wish they would've copied from "last-gen" and put it in new gen. They did redo the engine, and it was a failure. Just look at Madden 05 for Xbox, then look at Madden 06 for 360. There is no doubt that 05 was billions of times better.

The problem with Madden today is they did redo the engine for next gen and it is taking them a while to build it up to something good. It is acceptable in Madden 10 right now.

Anyway, enough about Madden. These are two different gameplay experiances. Akin to Halo and Gears. Both shooters at the core, but completely different gameplay experiances.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

# 84 Hova57 @ 02/21/10 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t11
OMG, I wish they would've copied from "last-gen" and put it in new gen. They did redo the engine, and it was a failure. Just look at Madden 05 for Xbox, then look at Madden 06 for 360. There is no doubt that 05 was billions of times better.

The problem with Madden today is they did redo the engine for next gen and it is taking them a while to build it up to something good. It is acceptable in Madden 10 right now.

Anyway, enough about Madden. These are two different gameplay experiances. Akin to Halo and Gears. Both shooters at the core, but completely different gameplay experiances.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game.
good analogy

# 85 orthostud23 @ 02/21/10 11:05 AM
THat was my first look at this video and it really does look impressive. It looks like they incorporated the QB actually taking a couple of steps to throw the deep pass. Dont recall that on the first Dev Vid. 1st day purchase for me as well.

# 86 LionsFanNJ @ 02/21/10 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2
I doubt that will ever happen, unless they hand Madden back to Visual Concepts...Heck, they basically copied the PS2 engine when they "started fresh" on next-gen consoles...EA will never cancel Madden, simply because of revenue/stock price concerns. And why bother re-doing the engine if sales don't take a hit.
No they didn't. That's why Madden is the way it is now. Ian admitted as much a while back. But anyway in an ideal world BB will cause enough of a buzz with the on field gameplay to push Tiburon further than the pace they are on.

I'm still on the fence on purchase until i see some on the field vids, and at the pace things are going i'll have to wait until people here and elsewhere post up some youtube vids much like APF when that dropped(though i bought that day one)

# 87 KBLover @ 02/21/10 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
I PRAY the AI on O/D works....

That and the play calling/playbooks and what customization/options

Oh and gameplay - as in pre-snap, game views, etc.

Because this stuff in this video looks really good.

# 88 DaveDQ @ 02/21/10 08:50 PM
That gang tackle at the 2:10 mark is the best looking thing I have ever seen in a football game. Not 2K or EA can touch that.

# 89 p_rushing @ 02/21/10 10:25 PM
I'm getting the feeling that this games is going to piss off a bunch of "cheese" type players. Playing defense is going to be unreal versus anything else we have played before. When you go for the pick as the Saftey and miss, you won't be able to turn right around and catch up, your momentum will carry you out of the play. LBs taking bad angles or not covering their zone are going to get killed.

I think a lot of people will have to give it time to adjust to the feel of response from the players.

# 90 LingeringRegime @ 02/22/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
I'm getting the feeling that this games is going to piss off a bunch of "cheese" type players. Playing defense is going to be unreal versus anything else we have played before. When you go for the pick as the Saftey and miss, you won't be able to turn right around and catch up, your momentum will carry you out of the play.
That is a great observation. If it makes cheesers unhappy, then all will be well with the universe.

# 91 thudias @ 02/22/10 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
I'm not there yet. I'm getting both games. (NCAA Football 11 is the one that's questionable.) Madden has the NFL license, and it offers a different gaming experience from Backbreaker.

However, an interesting point was made in this video.

How will people be able to go back to "canned animations" after playing Backbreaker? Will Backbreaker fundamentally change the way you view Madden?

There's no doubt the envelope has been pushed. People will want an NFL licensed Backbreaker. The NFL has to realize they're not serving the fans with the exclusivity deal. Anyway, enough of that. That's a familiar gripe.

I like the new video. Well done.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

# 92 Rashad19 @ 02/22/10 11:38 AM
I am truly excited about what I have seen so far from this game. I know it's early and we don't have all the information we would like just yet. However, no one can deny that this is truly pushing the envelope for what we are looking for in regards to replicating the true physical fundamentals of football.

# 93 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/22/10 11:45 AM
Is it me or are they talking about the same stuff over and over? I hope they start talking about the other little things that go into a football game. The tackling looks fantastic but, I want to know about rules, playbooks, etc...

If I missed that stuff can someone let me know. Thanks!

# 94 mvb34 @ 02/22/10 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Is it me or are they talking about the same stuff over and over? I hope they start talking about the other little things that go into a football game. The tackling looks fantastic but, I want to know about rules, playbooks, etc...

If I missed that stuff can someone let me know. Thanks!
Good point...

# 95 JMD @ 02/22/10 02:49 PM
Loved hearing this at the end of the clip:
Rob Donald says "I'm a huge video game sports fan, I've been playing Football games, basketball games , soccer games for years. People are going to pick this game up, they are going to experience what Euphoria offers , and it's going to be really hard for them to go back and just play a normal canned animation sports game again."

Man I hope so, I hope this game is good enough so I won't need to buy that other game.

# 96 computerlover @ 02/22/10 03:26 PM
Its really a dayam shame that a British dev house will bring the rain to american football video games!

This is going to be off the chain folks! im fiendin like a crackhead for this one! lmao!

# 97 mvb34 @ 02/22/10 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerlover
Its really a dayam shame that a British dev house will bring the rain to american football video games!

This is going to be off the chain folks! im fiendin like a crackhead for this one! lmao!

Slowdown, the jury still out...

# 98 Americas Team1 @ 02/22/10 03:51 PM
I cant wait till backbreaker comes out.Already pre-ordered it. May 18th cant come fast enough.I'm tired of $h!t games EA has been putting out.It'll be a LONG time before I get another Madden game.

# 99 Phobia @ 02/22/10 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team1
I cant wait till backbreaker comes out.Already pre-ordered it. May 18th cant come fast enough.I'm tired of $h!t games EA has been putting out.It'll be a LONG time before I get another Madden game.
Had to throw in the jab at EA..........SMH

# 100 Americas Team1 @ 02/22/10 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Had to throw in the jab at EA..........SMH

Why not this isnt the Madden forum...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.