Home
Backbreaker News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Passing seemed to work a little better in the frantic football world that Backbreaker presents. The approach is certainly different than any I've seen for hurling the pigskin. Actually passing the ball is done entirely by the right stick, while targeting a player is done by holding the left trigger and moving between receivers with the left analog. The AI is largely in charge of the strength of the pass you're throwing (something that I'm worried about) unless it's a bomb pass, in which case you can move the analog down and then up to emulate a throwing motion of sorts. Every other pass is done with a simple flick upwards. Passing didn't feel all that great when I played with rigid camera movements that strain to follow the ball down the field and some wonky physics when the ball hit either the ground or a player's hands.

Aside from standard quick play games, there's also an 8, 16, and 32 team season option and something called Road to Backbreaker which I'm guessing is designed to deliver some sort of loose tournament structure in the same vein as Mortal Kombat (escalating difficulty with meaner and meaner opponents)."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 101 strawberryshortcake @ 03/04/10 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Well I don't think EA owns the license to the way a football player looks.

Anyways, a comment on the camera view. Why can't we just have a create your own camera view? I know the people of Backbreaker wanted to get you right down into the action, but what if we don't want to be right down in the action? Why can't the people decide for themselves where they want the camera with a custom camera? Why do the developers have to decide where the camera should be and what is better for everyone? If a person wants to be super close so they are right in the action then let them create a custom camera view then.
Certainly understandable. Makes sense, to a certain extent. Custom camera would be sweet, but it would completely change the entire "backbreaker" gameplay makeup and NaturalMotion's vision. Football is not a "comfortable" sport. It's a challenge. This new "backbreaker cam" would take us one step closer without having to suit up.

If given the immediate opportunity, most people would likely opt for the zoomed out sky vision view. But in doing so, it would completely remove the "on-the-field" football experience NaturalMotion is trying to achieve. Otherwise, I might as well just play APF2k8 (an absolute fabulous game in itself). NaturalMotion should really try and strive to achieve what 2k football has accomplished as far animation and gameplay.

We just have to give this 3rd person camera view a fair shot. I am not a fan of first person shooters (fps), at all. And might as well add in 3rd person shooters. But look at the success they have regardless if the game is good or not.

EDIT: I personally look forward to this new "backbreaker cam." But in all honesty, I don't agree with those proclaiming that traditional sky-vision wouldn't work for this game. Football is football; Whether the camera is from a 3rd person point of view, or sky-view. The game of football doesn't change. Attach a helmet camera to a 49er's linebacker for the entire game sequence, and football still plays as football. Nothing changes but the camera view. This is why I will make the following assumption: If the developers want to pull the camera back (and give the sky-view option), it should not be that difficult to implement, seeing as how we already have glimpse of sky-vision. Football is football regardless of camera view. Does offering traditional camera option change the on the field football mechanics? Football is football, but it does change NaturalMotion's intended "on-the-field-football-experience" vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Actually, he might be right. If they made them with NFL style pads and a gamer creates a Steve Smith "likeness" in a Carolina uniform, there is a potential for a lawsuit. The player model protects against that because he still wouldn't look like Steve Smith. Stupid, I know, but that's the world we live in.
Exactly. If they made player look extremely alike in uniform shape, color, and likeness(i.e. name, team, birth place, college played, weight, height, etc) then they could most likely bring it up a potential law suit. If this game was a pretty big success I don't think EA/NFL(more likely) would think twice about a law suit. The biggest reason IMO why I think they have the big pads, every player wearing the visors, and the taking place in the future talk just in case a potential law suit did happen to pop up.

A law suit could be brought up fairly easily just by player likeness. In the second iteration if the first one does well enough I hope they can at least take the every player wearing the visor out at the least. The futuristic uni's IMO is to make sure that if they did happen to go to court it would give them the best chance to deal with a law suit.

This is just my opinion of why they did it like this though.
My question is: What would the legal ramifications be with other official leagues around the world including the Canadian Football League, United Football League, Arena Football League, etc.?

I have no background in law. But what would be the legal ramifications for allowing full customization in a video game? Couldn't "Backbreaker" simply be consider their own "league" but in virtual world with the customization feature at a gamer's disposal to create virtual rookie prospects after the initial default generic stars retire?

Instead of needing to invest millions and millions of dollars to create a tangible real life league with full gear, suit, pads, stadiums and the whole works, and having NaturalMotion's CEO being the commissioner/president of the league, what's the legal ramifications of having NaturalMotion's Backbreaker league a "virtual league" where teams are allowed to change their uniform at will and "recruit" whatever virtual player they see fit?

Canadian Football League:
CFL Western Final: Calgary 17, Saskatchewan 27 - November 22, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=mMksjMrpQqQ&v=pQ7NJs6MC1Y

# 102 SouthernBrick @ 03/04/10 03:42 AM
I don't know much about law either when it comes to this but, I believe there can most likely be a law suit over something like this. Actually I believe a bunch of retired players sued EA for their likeness in a video game without them being paid. EA had created retired NFL players without paying them and since Its madden(NFL) there could be no denying that it was retired players in the game.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/04/...-sue-ea-madden

I really don't much about law but, I know it can probably be done. Not that they'll succeed and shut down BB or there fully customizable system if there were a law suit(gotta win first). Another reason why I believe you can only play your friends and not just anyone you want with a customized NFL team or any customized football team online(afraid of law suit).

This probably didn't answer your question but, maybe it helped(probably didn't).

# 103 strawberryshortcake @ 03/04/10 04:12 AM
^^ randombrother, valid points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyGivenSunday
snippet...Actually I believe a bunch of retired players sued EA for their likeness in a video game without them being paid. EA had created retired NFL players without paying them and since Its madden(NFL) there could be no denying that it was retired players in the game.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/04/...-sue-ea-madden
...snippet
We both can only speculate. But from what it reads, EA purposely created those historic players then scrambled their characteristics with intentions.

What I am proposing is that NaturalMotion is simply only creating current uniforms (already adopted by all leagues around the football world) with completely generic players, with full customization being a feature that users would manipulate (and not NaturalMotion themselves).

NaturalMotion would not replicate the NFL (or another league) but their own virtual generic league. Would any suit hold water given that NaturalMotion had no intentions to officially create the NFL and player's likeness. NaturalMotion only supplied a "full customization" feature. NaturalMotion did not create league likeness or player likeness; that was at the sole discretion of the gamer.

In other words, NaturalMotion has no intent on creating player likeness.

# 104 SouthernBrick @ 03/04/10 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
^^ randombrother, valid points.

We both can only speculate. But from what it reads, EA purposely created those historic players then scrambled their characteristics with intentions.

What I am proposing is that NaturalMotion is simply only creating current uniforms (already adopted by all leagues around the football world) with completely generic players, with full customization being a feature that users would manipulate (and not NaturalMotion themselves).

NaturalMotion would not replicate the NFL (or another league) but their own virtual generic league. Would any suit hold water given that NaturalMotion had no intentions to officially create the NFL and player's likeness. NaturalMotion only supplied a "full customization" feature. NaturalMotion did not create league likeness or player likeness; that was at the sole discretion of the gamer.

In other words, NaturalMotion has no intent on creating player likeness.
Doesn't seem like they would be able to then but, the legal system crazy with tons of loop holes. I really wouldn't be surprised If EA or the NFL could sue them over something about this. I'm sure someone will probably come in this thread eventually will probably tell you the answer.

Like you said we can only speculate since we don't know for sure but, I got a feeling they could. I think they would make the uni's way more realistic, be set in the present and not the future, and be able to play with anyone online with customized jerseys and not just our friends if they couldn't sue IMO. You can only play friends and have your customized uni show up but, If you play a random person the jersey's become generic but, the rest stays the same I believe(i.e. rating and players).

People are able to sue for some crazy things now a days even though It would seem like they wouldn't be able to. If EA can't sue great...thats awesome, If they can then that is no surprise to me. A surprise to me would be if EA couldn't sue them so someone please...surprise me lol.

# 105 CreatineKasey @ 03/04/10 11:25 AM
What do you guys think of the lack of pockets forming? I watched the videos repeatedly and always saw a lack of a pocket being formed. Outside defenders always squared up with the blocker and went from there. Nobody took an outside shoulder and tried to "rip" past the OT. If we fan the DL, do you think our men will do that? The blind side could be huge in this game.

Also, does anyone know if we'll be able to "strip ball" with a DL? That's a massive part of football. It's not a part of the Madden series either, and APF was very specific with QB ball strips. To be honest, the APF QB ball strip was my favorite animation in that entire game. I spent so many games just trying to get it to trigger! It only triggered on backside hits.

Note: I'm sorry if criticism of the game angers some of you guys, but I still hope to play a good game of football. I want a non-EA product to choose from a ton also, but that doesn't give them a free pass from my criticism.

# 106 adamgod8 @ 03/04/10 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed200569
What r u kidding me. Of course this game is gonna steal sales away from Madden. So many ppl are tired of that garbage EA puts out every year and this game offers gameplay that has never been seen in a football game ever. BB wont sell more than Madden in its first year probably but I guarantee it will put a dent in its sales and you;d be fooling yourself if you didnt think so. This kind of engine is what ppl have been talking about since the launch of next gen and you dont think that we play a factor in Madden sales??

This game lacked what All Pro needed. A extremely deep team creator,edit player names and teams,customise endzones,franchise mode with drafting and a few other things,Road to BB mode,and good graphics. There is nothing but hype for this game around me here by Tampa. Everytime I go to gamestop,someone is talking about this game and how they cant wait to play it. I dont care about who reviews this game. Its just one person and ppl will be biased towards Madden like this degenerate at IGN who gave Madden 10 a 8.9 when it clearly didnt deserver higher than a 7 with all its problems,especially on gameplay.
Ultimately though, it is Madden that is taking away sales from Madden. If Madden was a good, fun, engrossing game to play, people probably wouldn't even consider this game. (I know some would including me, but not to the degree people are looking at it now)....But people aren't going to not buy Madden because now they have Backbreaker...people are going to stop buying Madden because Madden has let them down year after year, and simply want something else. IMO

# 107 ODogg @ 03/04/10 01:19 PM
CreatineKasey - i'm sure the lack of a pocket forming is the designer's "vision" of the producet. :P

# 108 kjcheezhead @ 03/04/10 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
CreatineKasey - i'm sure the lack of a pocket forming is the designer's "vision" of the producet. :P
Look at this vid at the 35 sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h-9lkqRIKU

That's a perfect pocket. That said, I was still underwhelmed with the line interaction overall. I did see a dlineman dropped to one knee and nice attempts at arm tackles in the developer diaries tho so the potential is there, it's just not there yet.

# 109 adamgod8 @ 03/04/10 01:53 PM
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xnmSCoQgIQ

3:20-3:30...another good pocket

# 110 mgoblue @ 03/04/10 01:59 PM
from the IGN article, the AI is in control of the speed of our passes (except for bombs)? That doesn't sound good...

# 111 djordan @ 03/04/10 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
from the IGN article, the AI is in control of the speed of our passes (except for bombs)? That doesn't sound good...
Yeah that right there is STUPID!!!

Madden 92 had user bullet/lob passes lol.

# 112 TheWatcher @ 03/04/10 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I am pretty sure that was T2 since they already had the license to use it with GTA. People started assuming that they would use it in other games but they didnt.
Yeah, wasn't T2 though. Now I recall for certain about the EA release. In it, they talked about the possibility of using NM's system. After that (around the time I first started posting here) Ian talked about in the future using NM's system in conjuction with standard MoCap. We both agreed that this would be the best possible course of action because (as everyone can see now) while NM's system is fluid, there are some animations that don't quite look like fundamental football. Not to say that all of EA's stuff does because that would be inaccurate, and certainly NM's overall system is far superior. It's just little subtle things like QB footwork and whatnot aren't 100% there yet in BB, but of course these are minor things taken more seriously by the highly critical.

# 113 kjcheezhead @ 03/04/10 02:18 PM
Quote:
I don't think that's entirely accurate. I think there is essentially 3 types of passes, bullet, medium and deep lob. Madden 10 currently offers about the same style imo. I wish it had a precision pass style like ps2 madden but it's not like other nexgen games passing is light years ahead of what BB has done with it in thier game.

# 114 alliance4g63 @ 03/04/10 02:25 PM
Quote:
But why? You act like bullet passes and lobs really made that big of a difference in current games. Most passes were bullet passes. You act like you can soft throw passes over linebackers or put passes where and how you wanted. The current system is not amazing as it is so I am not going to pre-judge the game before I play it.

All I need are passes to be there when I need them to be there. I could careless if it is thrown at 90mph or 10. I swear some of you are acting like everything that is not in BB is implemented perfectly on current gen football games.

# 115 ODogg @ 03/04/10 03:05 PM
We are simply point out obvious flaws alliance. You guys amaze me, you can excuse the CPU selecting the speed of your pass??

And it's obvious if you think bullet passes and lobs make no difference, that you can't throw over a LB for example, then you've not played NCAA or Madden in about 3 years. This used to be an issue but has since been corrected. You most definitely can put touch on passes in both NCAA and Madden.

I understand you guys have a desire for some real competition to Madden..but you should be holding this game to a baseline standard that you would any other game. You're letting your EA hate blind you. And while you may be able to debate a lot of issues like this in this thread you will find that when you get the game these sort of things will really affect how much you like the game.

# 116 ODogg @ 03/04/10 03:11 PM
AP2K8 is not a current series though. I did like the passing much better in AP2K8 than in Madden though so I'll agree with you there. The receivers route running and the QB drop backs were light years ahead of any other football game. In fact I thought that aspect of that game was the best aspect of it overall by far.

# 117 alliance4g63 @ 03/04/10 03:12 PM
Quote:
We are simply point out obvious flaws alliance. You guys amaze me, you can excuse the CPU selecting the speed of your pass??

And it's obvious if you think bullet passes and lobs make no difference, that you can't throw over a LB for example, then you've not played NCAA or Madden in about 3 years. This used to be an issue but has since been corrected. You most definitely can put touch on passes in both NCAA and Madden.

I understand you guys have a desire for some real competition to Madden..but you should be holding this game to a baseline standard that you would any other game. You're letting your EA hate blind you. And while you may be able to debate a lot of issues like this in this thread you will find that when you get the game these sort of things will really affect how much you like the game.
I will take your word for NCAA because I wouldn't touch that game with a 10-foot pole. But I have to disagree with Madden. Any so called lob you tried to throw had LBs or Dbs jumping way higher then they should to intercept or bat a pass down.

Maybe we are talking about two different things. I want a chess match in the passing game. When you are facing a good passer in a game you should notice it. He should be able to fit good passes in with finesse. Madden does not have this. You are calling plays and looking for the open man. I have never thought oh I need to take some speed off this pass or my WR/RB won't catch it. Or I need to throw a perfect pass over that zone or it will be intercepted.

To me it is just like the UFC Undisputed.. Depending on your players strength, skill and distance, the cpu will determine the type of punch you throw as well as if it will have knockout power. And guess what? That game turned out to be amazing.

# 118 kjcheezhead @ 03/04/10 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed200569
Wrong. All Pro 2k8's passing is light years ahead of all football games. Its not perfect,but the QB drop backs,signature throws,amazing catches and great looking routes just look really good compared to other games. It just looks so smoothe.
LOL, all right, Maddens passing is 3 speeds with no leading a wr like BBs. APF is still just on another level all together. It's almost not fair holding games to 2ks standard.

# 119 alliance4g63 @ 03/04/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
LOL, all right, Maddens passing is 3 speeds with no leading a wr like BBs. APF is still just on another level all together. It's almost not fair holding games to 2ks standard.
But even in APF the passes are still controlled by the cpu. When I throw a deep pass the cpu will determine where the ball will ulitmately be. And again bullet passes and lob pass don't make that much of a difference. Give me a game where the determined speed of the pass will be the difference between a catch or a drop or between an interception or a completion.

I think BB will definitely not be as good as APF but I also don't think it will be worse than Madden. The deep pass alone, IMO, already makes it better than Madden.

# 120 kjcheezhead @ 03/04/10 03:23 PM
Quote:

That's just not true, at least for me. Point out a flaw in this game that you can't say is a problem and I'll agree.

Injuries is a big flaw. I hated hearing that. 3 speed passing is same as Madden's. The pocket is about equal to Madden's. The camera view in my opinion is innovation. It's like pro-tak. Either you like it or not, but it is core to what the game wants to deliver.
I just hate hearing knocks on BB involving parts of the game that aren't done well in the other game or knocks involving player models and such that were done because of potential lawsuits that's all.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.