Home
News Post

Do you love sports games and sometimes take them just a bit too seriously? Do you have a knack for putting words together in a coherent and readable fashion which people find enjoyable?

Then you might just be perfect to be one of the next writers here at Operation Sports!

Operation Sports is currently looking for feature writers to write three columns per month on the world of sports gaming. You would be responsible for commenting on the status of the sports gaming world in your own unique way while also interacting with the rest of the writing staff to produce exciting new content. A broad knowledge of different sports is a bonus, but we are willing to listen to anyone who specializes in one sport as well!

To apply, send the following to us at apply at operationsports.com.

Your Name
OS Username
What sports/games you can write about
Theoretical name(s) for a column by you
Three sample article ideas
Two short examples of your writing (400-600 words)

Failure to include all of the info, well it just won't be good for your application. Deadline to submit an application is June 20, 2010. We look forward to hearing from you!

Member Comments
# 1 Filosofer @ 06/10/10 01:45 PM
Do the short writing examples need to pertain to sports games themselves, or are other examples sufficient?

# 2 ChaseB @ 06/10/10 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filosofer
Do the short writing examples need to pertain to sports games themselves, or are other examples sufficient?
Nope, it can be other stuff as well Filo.

# 3 JustBlaze827 @ 06/10/10 06:25 PM
How do the free games work exactly? Do you get the game early to do a review and then send it back in? Or is it simply a free game? I know a couple of people who got an early copy of Red Dead Redemption to write a review but had to send it back after a certain amount of time.

# 4 RaychelSnr @ 06/10/10 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlaze827
How do the free games work exactly? Do you get the game early to do a review and then send it back in? Or is it simply a free game? I know a couple of people who got an early copy of Red Dead Redemption to write a review but had to send it back after a certain amount of time.
We didn't mention anything about free games for these positions because we aren't looking for reviewers at this time, but some of the guys brought in in the coming weeks might be pushed up to reviewer status at some point.

So in that case, you simply usually get the game for free either from the company or we get it for you. But if you are wanting free games first and foremost, I would steer clear since that's a very small aspect of the bigger picture for these positions. It is a nice bonus, but you can ask anyone that the experience was the real gem for them. Several of our previous writers at OS have used their experience here + their education to land quality jobs across the sports spectrum.

# 5 halltj2 @ 06/10/10 06:46 PM
"Too apply" LOL Can I apply for editor? :P

# 6 Ryn Vintage1986 @ 06/10/10 06:47 PM
Hi guys,
I'm a journalism senior at the University of Central Oklahoma. I maintain a sports blog and I'm published in both a University newspaper and a municipal publication in Hennessey, OK. (Not tooting my horn, just letting you know that I am capable of working in the business... and also tooting my horn.)

My one question, should I go ahead and throw my hat into the ring, is 'Does proximity matter?' Not sure where Operation Sports is Located, but I think it's safe to say it's not Oklahoma.

Thanks, -Ryan

# 7 DustinT @ 06/10/10 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn Vintage1986
Hi guys,
I'm a journalism senior at the University of Central Oklahoma. I maintain a sports blog and I'm published in both a University newspaper and a municipal publication in Hennessey, OK. (Not tooting my horn, just letting you know that I am capable of working in the business... and also tooting my horn.)

My one question, should I go ahead and throw my hat into the ring, is 'Does proximity matter?' Not sure where Operation Sports is Located, but I think it's safe to say it's not Oklahoma.

Thanks, -Ryan
Proximity doesn't matter at all. Everything is done online so if you're in Oklahoma you're set

Pretty sure we have another Oklahoma boy on staff as well

# 8 Saijahn @ 06/10/10 08:26 PM
Well I submitted my information, I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to hear back on my material and ideas. Thanks for the chance itself.

# 9 stlstudios189 @ 06/10/10 08:39 PM
I am interested in this as well I will have to get a writing example together and we will see

# 10 DJ @ 06/10/10 08:46 PM
I'll have to dig into my archives to find some writing samples. It would be nice to write for this site.

# 11 Ziza9Noles94 @ 06/10/10 10:01 PM
Would links to articles I have written suffice as samples?

# 12 RaychelSnr @ 06/11/10 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn Vintage1986
Hi guys,

Thanks, -Ryan
Proximity doesn't matter, although you could make the case OS Content central is in Norman. But this is a mostly online gig with some basic perks such as free games from time to time, potential free trips to see said games, and even some small monetary kickbacks from time to time. The real benefit of working with OS is that we have been a primary source of experience for some guys who have landed sweet gigs, so for someone in your position, we'd be a great experience booster before you got something really big time down the line.

How is it I feel like I'm the AD at Tulsa whenever I feed that last line?

# 13 RaychelSnr @ 06/11/10 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziza9Noles94
Would links to articles I have written suffice as samples?
Yes, if you have something published somewhere, that'd work just fine!

# 14 RaychelSnr @ 06/11/10 02:00 AM
Just want to say the response has been HUGE thus far. Thanks for your interest guys! I can't wait to really start digging into each individual application and figuring out what angle we're going to be taking!

# 15 WTF @ 06/11/10 10:40 AM
If I enter, my column will be called "WTF is going on..."

Catchy eh Chris?

# 16 RaychelSnr @ 06/11/10 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
If I enter, my column will be called "WTF is going on..."

Catchy eh Chris?
So long as you sound slightly clueless about everything going on....oh crap, that's already MY blog/column

# 17 miguelvelasco41 @ 06/11/10 12:10 PM
just wondering since this is a online gig, could i possibly become a writer? the problem i see is that im from the Philippines. but other than that, im good to go. i also work for a national publication and have almost a year of experience of working in the field of journalism

# 18 WTF @ 06/11/10 12:19 PM
It's online brotha, so you could apply just as well as anyone else. Just submit everything that they asked for earlier in the thread, and best of luck to you.

# 19 King of Kings @ 06/11/10 01:44 PM
So, there are no pre-determined qualifications based upon education or experience? As long as one writes well, they are considered? I ask because I do not have anything published. However, I do love sports, sports games, and am an excellent writer. Is this position realistically available for someone like me, or is it directed more toward those who have formal literature education or experience with published material?

I thank you in advance for any answers.

# 20 WTF @ 06/11/10 01:57 PM
Indeed, there are no pre-determined qualifications. As long as you can write relatively well, and can engage the readers, then you too can write for OS. No education or experience necessary. You stand just as good of a chance as anyone else.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.