Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one talks about the expanded playcall system.

Quote:
"All Teams Are Not Created Equal - Each team has a base playbook of at least thirty plays that reflect their coach's philosophy and style of play. The marquis teams also have additional plays available to them that they can run for additional flavor. We created individual sets for teams as well. What this means is that even though two coaches may use a floppy set, their personnel and style may dictate that their floppy set starts differently than that of another team that runs a floppy. Now even if teams run plays that have the same end goal, the look you get from team to team will differ based on how they run it and who they run it with.

If you consider that we have well over 1000 plays across all the current and the old school NBA teams, you will see that, as a User, you have a plethora of options to vary your offense."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 youvalss @ 09/07/10 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngfaze01
Damn, now I gotta go do dishes in frustration.
Happy I already did. Today was my turn.

# 162 blingballa333 @ 09/07/10 09:28 PM
This blows bigger than last time.

# 163 youngfaze01 @ 09/07/10 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Happy I already did. Today was my turn.
Lol, today is mine too, but I let it pile up just to be on OS.

# 164 youngfaze01 @ 09/07/10 09:33 PM
I hope the video(s) will be posted bright and early when I wake up.

# 165 aloncho11 @ 09/07/10 09:40 PM
Nice insight

# 166 youvalss @ 09/07/10 09:41 PM
Quote:
Lol, today is mine too, but I let it pile up just to be on OS.
Good luck

# 167 youvalss @ 09/07/10 09:42 PM
Quote:
I hope the video(s) will be posted bright and early when I wake up.
I wouldn't count on it. I give it 20%...

# 168 bbolo84 @ 09/07/10 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Oh well. Something to look forward to tomorrow.

# 169 green94 @ 09/07/10 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
I was going to say that, but then I remembered that this is a video game forum not AP English.
Not sure what AP English has to do with directly quoting someone?

# 170 Ermolli @ 09/07/10 10:08 PM
Great insight, looking for that video.

# 171 youngfaze01 @ 09/07/10 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
Great insight, looking for that video.
We will see the video tomorrow, hopefully.

# 172 DubTrey1 @ 09/07/10 10:19 PM
The more details that come out for this game, the more unreal it sounds. Can't wait to play this one!!

# 173 RayDog253 @ 09/07/10 10:34 PM

I'm really excited for this improvement. This is the only thing that kept me playing the other game. As it got boring to me plating the CPU with the play calling system they have in 2k10.

I'm, really really glad the moved it to the Left bumper as well.

# 174 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 09/07/10 11:25 PM
i just want to know at what stage will the build be when they show us the video tomorrow?

# 175 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
i just want to know at what stage will the build be when they show us the video tomorrow?
It was stated from the prev pages that it's from an early August build.

Here, I got it. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041572406

# 176 xPhillies08WSCx @ 09/08/10 03:43 AM
With each piece of info I've read about 2K11 makes me more and more anxious for October 5th. 2K has me wantin to fast forward time. haha

# 177 Low End Theory @ 09/08/10 04:50 AM
This sounds awesome. I've only recently starting messing around with playcalling in 2k10, and I really love the different dimension it adds to the game. Can't wait to see a system thats even better!!

But something I didn't hear about: what about DEFENSIVE PLAYS? I want more options than just man to man, 2-3, 3-2 and 1-3-1... How about a matchup zone or Box and 1, or the 2-1-2 zone that Turkey has been running in the FIBA tourney?? And it would be awesome if AI players actually played the zone while reacting to the players that they are defending. What I mean by that is that Durant should not be allowed to get as open as Thabo Sefalosha.

Also, since I'm talking about defense, can we get a way to get better control of the way our players respond to pick and rolls? For example, when the defending big man comes up to double Stephen Curry on a pick and roll, it makes sense because of the threat of a deep shot. But I don't want my defenders taking the same approach when Ramon Sessions starts a pick and roll. It would be great if we ould actually be able to have sliders or something that can be set for each opposing player that would dictate what kind of pressure to put on the ball handler and the screener, and whether or not to fight through zones.

# 178 STLRams @ 09/08/10 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
This sounds awesome. I've only recently starting messing around with playcalling in 2k10, and I really love the different dimension it adds to the game. Can't wait to see a system thats even better!!

But something I didn't hear about: what about DEFENSIVE PLAYS? I want more options than just man to man, 2-3, 3-2 and 1-3-1... How about a matchup zone or Box and 1, or the 2-1-2 zone that Turkey has been running in the FIBA tourney?? And it would be awesome if AI players actually played the zone while reacting to the players that they are defending. What I mean by that is that Durant should not be allowed to get as open as Thabo Sefalosha.

Also, since I'm talking about defense, can we get a way to get better control of the way our players respond to pick and rolls? For example, when the defending big man comes up to double Stephen Curry on a pick and roll, it makes sense because of the threat of a deep shot. But I don't want my defenders taking the same approach when Ramon Sessions starts a pick and roll. It would be great if we ould actually be able to have sliders or something that can be set for each opposing player that would dictate what kind of pressure to put on the ball handler and the screener, and whether or not to fight through zones.

A agree, I'm hoping the defensive playbook did get some attention this year.

# 179 iLLosophy @ 09/08/10 08:34 AM
The extra plays is nice I guess, but 2 big things this article doesn't address:

1) Can I use any play for any team?

NBA 2K has always had this setup where each team could only use plays assigned to them by the developers. that's stupid. it sounds like this hasn't changed.

2) Will the AI adapt a different playbook when its roster/coach has changed?

The plays they give are nice for this year, but what about if I do a fantasy draft or it's 3 years later and kobe decides to leave and the best SG the lakers has is Shannon Brown? Oh well - he's either going to take 30 shots a game or the AI is going to play stupid where they keep passing him the ball and keeps acting like he doesn't want it. Jerry sloan decides to take a job coaching the Thunder, and for some reason never calls a pick & roll play ever again.

Adding new features is nice, but for those of us that plan on playing outside of the 2010-2011 rosters, you completely missed the mark. And it's not like it's that hard to implement.

# 180 Da_Czar @ 09/08/10 09:04 AM
Illosophy you are way off on your assumption that things are easy to add.

I thought so a well until sitting down with the devs. They plays were terrible and very limiting. They went from 80 plus to well over 1,000.

with a tight dev cycle you can't expect every single gripe we have thing to be done in one year. Many of the playbook improvements we have been asking for are in the game this year.

The play system touches a lot of areas in the game so chains to that system no matter how trivial they can appear to us is a risky and work intensive proposition.

From what I understand they added as much as they could and then worked on troubleshooting and tuning as opposed to adding to much and testing too little and thereby breaking the game.

Its a major feature that changes the way the game is played.

That said I was told you can assign any play to any team. From the in game screen I have changed plays but not in association.

Further they added logic to the code as I mentioned earlier to match up plays that are called to a players abilities. So if Shannon brown is not a post player as long as there are sufficient otter plays in the playbook for a shooting guard the CPU will select those.

Now I was obviously not able to play a 5 year association so I don't know how well it works or if it works at all.

But that is how the system was designed.

I think most would prefer to have the new abundance of plays and play system Improvements Rather than just being able to assign those bad plays to everyone.

Just my .02$ from the corner.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.