Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gamasutra has some new info on the lawsuit.

Quote:
"A U.S. district judge has certified a class-action anti-trust lawsuit against Electronic Arts that alleges the company illegally inflated prices for its football titles after attaining exclusive rights to league licenses.

In a 67-page complaint [PDF], the legal team specifically cites the 2004 pricing battle between Sega and Take-Two's NFL2K5, which retailed for just $19.95, and EA's Madden NFL 2005, which was lowered from a $49.95 asking price to $29.95 in November of that year.

A month after this price decrease, EA signed its exclusive licensing deal with the NFL, following with similar deals for the NCAA and Arena Football leagues in later months. The next year's Madden NFL 2006 faced no competition in the football game market at its usual $49.95 price point."

Gamespot chimes in as well.

Quote:
"We believe EA forced consumers to pay an artificial premium on Madden NFL video games" Berman continued. "We intend to prove that EA could inflate prices on their sports titles because these exclusive licenses restrained trade and competition for interactive sports software."

What do you think happens, out of all this?

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 BadAssHskr @ 11/05/13 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I hate frivolous lawsuits as much as anybody. But this was justified. This is an ignorant statement on your part. Read up on the lawsuit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericasTeam
So is EA Sports. I usually don't agree with these lawsuits, but this one's OK in my book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
i honestly don't even remember what the lawsuit was. i remember getting it emailed to me at one time, maybe even mailed to me another time. i'm just saying i passed on it, i didn't want my football games to go away.

# 182 Boilerbuzz @ 11/05/13 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
i honestly don't even remember what the lawsuit was. i remember getting it emailed to me at one time, maybe even mailed to me another time. i'm just saying i passed on it, i didn't want my football games to go away.
Is the game worth EA holding a gun barrel to you head? As I said in my post, I didn't file the claim because I haven't spent money on Madden in years. Part of the reason I haven't is the basis for this suit. You should read up on it. Be ready for a part of you to want to burn EA to the ground.

Frankly, if EA went away, another developer would get the license. Your football wouldn't go away. And, in MY opinion, there's a chance your football game would get BETTER in many ways!

# 183 zeroice @ 11/05/13 12:02 PM
I got my monetary amount from the settlement. Not alot but hell its enough for a game 50 bucks. Got it in the mail yesterday For those that question this it was Pecover vs Electronic Arts Inc
Settlement Administrator
C/;O Gilardi & CO llc
PO BOX 808054
Petaluma CA

that SHOULD BE ENOUGH for the non believers lol

# 184 mestevo @ 11/05/13 12:05 PM
I don't think there are non belivers, just a mixture of people who regret not filing on time and those who think theyre on some higher moral ground for not doing so, increasing the amount everyone else got as a result.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

# 185 bowld @ 11/05/13 02:32 PM
I filed and live in CA but nothing has been received yet..kinda worried I got shafted

# 186 BTownSlinger @ 11/05/13 02:45 PM
I got mine today. A little over $50. I was surprised to actually get something, let alone that much.

# 187 infemous @ 11/05/13 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It isn't illegal, in the US or other countries. Never was, only their collection of exclusive deals was the problem.

Damn, that sucks.

I find it astounding that it isn't to be honest, especially as it goes against the whole point of capitalism, competition and commerce.

If also hope that EAs practices involving other sports games, such as FIFA would be monitored or challenged. I read that EA have bought up exclusive stadium rights to strangle out competition in that regard.

I find it hard to believe that this is legal or unchallengeable although my knowledge of law and all that jazz is pretty non existent lol

# 188 AmericasTeam @ 11/05/13 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldash
I remember this, but don't remember if I completed everything. Were you able to enter all the forms online or did it require physical mail?
You could do it all online.

# 189 bravesfan25 @ 11/05/13 05:31 PM
Did they send a email conformation after submitting the form online? I'm pretty sure i did it but can't remember

# 190 AmericasTeam @ 11/05/13 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesfan25
Did they send a email conformation after submitting the form online? I'm pretty sure i did it but can't remember
I don't remember one. Got mine for $61.32. Was waiting for it and found it in a pile of unopened junk mail. Would have stunk if it had been thrown away!

# 191 roman_back @ 11/06/13 02:50 AM
I got mine in the mail yesterday, it was $78 and some change.

# 192 jedishogun @ 11/06/13 08:18 AM
I got mine! $148 and some change. Be careful because it looks like a small postcard. Look through your junk mail real good to make sure it don't get thrown away.

# 193 Hova57 @ 11/06/13 05:14 PM
148.65 just came in

# 194 chelios7 @ 11/06/13 05:20 PM
Still dont have mine. Hope it shows up soon.

# 195 The Chef @ 11/06/13 06:45 PM
I dont even recall getting an email at any point about this so Im guessing Im hosed now, ohh well, but kinda sucks that I never got anything in the mail or through email and missed out completely on it.

# 196 zeroice @ 11/07/13 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedishogun
I got mine! $148 and some change. Be careful because it looks like a small postcard. Look through your junk mail real good to make sure it don't get thrown away.

Seems like everyone is getting different amounts. Figured they would spread it out equally. guess not lol.. Maybe it was based on the time you got in on the petition. so many folks lol

# 197 zeroice @ 11/07/13 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't think there are non belivers, just a mixture of people who regret not filing on time and those who think theyre on some higher moral ground for not doing so, increasing the amount everyone else got as a result.

I agree.. it wasnt all that much lol. Atleast the one i got .But like I said earlier enough for a game LOL...

# 198 mestevo @ 11/07/13 12:49 PM
It was based on the number of titles you claimed purchased.

# 199 bowld @ 11/07/13 02:16 PM
Still havent gotten mine. Does anyone know if there is a website or phone number we can use to check status?

# 200 Mbalmer @ 11/07/13 07:10 PM
I figured there would be some people talking about this. I got two checks in the mail today. One was for $176 and the other was for $24. Anyone else get two checks?

I paid $110 for Battlefield 4 and Premium on PC last week, so I figure I just got $90 and BF4 for free!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.