Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

The Fight Night Champion demo is available now for the 360 and later tonight (roughly 9 P.M. EST) for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Bamtino @ 02/02/11 09:32 PM
someone please explain to me in boxing terms how simplifying blocking to one button adds to the sim quality of the game.

I really don't understand how anyone can call this one punch blocking a good idea. It takes no effort whatsoever and you have no control over it. It's just a really stupid and lazy game mechanic. Punches slipping through the guard could have easily been implemented without nurturing the blocking scheme to one button.

What next? auto blocking?

# 162 Vast @ 02/02/11 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtino
someone please explain to me in boxing terms how simplifying blocking to one button adds to the sim quality of the game.

I really don't understand how anyone can call this one punch blocking a good idea. It takes no effort whatsoever and you have no control over it. It's just a really stupid and lazy game mechanic. Punches slipping through the guard could have easily been implemented without nurturing the blocking scheme to one button.

What next? auto blocking?
I don't have a problem with it because mixing up your punches still allows you to break through the guard.
For example if i throw a body jab to head straight 1-2 combo. My opponent might block the body but wouldn't be able to block the head.
It's not insta-block. There are many times when I'm blocking and punches still get through.

I would like ratings to play a bigger role in this blocking scheme. Better defensive fighters allow less punches to slip through etc.

What i don't like tho is how inside fighters that make a living fighting from the inside; don't really have an advantage when they get inside. ala Mike Tyson in the demo vs Ali.

The footwork is just bad tho. Especially since the punches look so amazing this year.

the Accuracy is what really bothers me tho. It's way too high % wise, but then when i get in close i feel i miss too much. Makes me worried that inside fighters like Tyson will be useless again this year.

# 163 Bamtino @ 02/02/11 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
I don't have a problem with it because mixing up your punches still allows you to break through the guard.
For example if i throw a body jab to head straight 1-2 combo. My opponent might block the body but wouldn't be able to block the head.
It's not insta-block. There are many times when I'm blocking and punches still get through.

I would like ratings to play a bigger role in this blocking scheme. Better defensive fighters allow less punches to slip through etc.

What i don't like tho is how inside fighters that make a living fighting from the inside; don't really have an advantage when they get inside. ala Mike Tyson in the demo vs Ali.
So its ok because its not insta-block?

I don't understand how a sim enthusiast can possibly endorse a mechanic that takes no player skill whatsoever.

From both a boxing and gaming perspective it makes no sense to me. why shouldn't the player have control of where he's blocking? What made that a negative in the previous games that needed to be dumbed down to one button? and once again, they could have easily added punches slipping through the guard without neutering the blocking scheme.

Defense is a major part of the sport of boxing and all we're limited to in this game is holding one button to block, another button to lean and sliding around like slugs. How the heck is this a good thing?

# 164 Motown @ 02/02/11 10:09 PM
Quote:

I don't understand how a sim enthusiast can possibly endorse a mechanic that takes no player skill whatsoever.

From both a boxing and gaming perspective it makes no sense to me. why shouldn't the player have control of where he's blocking? What made that a negative in the previous games that needed to be dumbed down to one button? and once again, they could have easily added punches slipping through the guard without neutering the blocking scheme.

Defense is a major part of the sport of boxing and all we're limited to in this game is holding one button to block, another button to lean and sliding around like slugs. How the heck is this a good thing?
You go ahead or anyone else for that matter, lay on that 1 button block, & the custodian ill be sweepin' around ya or them, when he sweeps the ring after the show.

# 165 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 10:12 PM
Quote:

I have been preaching this through out this entire thread it makes absolutely no sense why they did this. Not only does hurt the defense but also the offense. No matter what punch you throw first it will be blocked he'll the 2 or 3 I am bummed out.

# 166 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 02/02/11 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernut
I have no idea what people are talking about in this game. I've been playing the Fight Night series since the first installment and I've always have ranked pretty high I'm also an amateur fighter. I'm not trying bost or anything like that trust me, I'm as critical in the games that I purchase as anybody else. I believe that allot you guys that are complaining are spoiled, EA makes such high quality games you guys find things to nick pick at. You guys have to be honest with yourself and say that this is a really good DEMO, and we all know that the polished version will be even better. I hear guys complaining about foot work and the blocking scheme ... oh and the connect rate.. I've played guys online and the foot work is fine. The connect rate is kool if guys would play the game right then you wouldn't get hit so much, I've had online players only hit me 19% plenty of times or say even 35% I've also have been on the other end were my connect rate was low. The blocking scheme is great too it makes you become more judicious with your punching. I believe allot of players are mad because there used to FN4 and the "HYPER" punching that was in it no more throwing a million punches and cornering your opponent because in this version you can actually circle around the ropes, fatigue plays a big role in this one ( Thank you EA I got tired of almost breaking my controller to get out of the corner and away from the ropes against Hyper punchers in FN4) sorry guys you actually have to box this time around. So pleas EA keep it how it is Im already knowing that the finished product will be way better then the already "classic demo" u guys have put out, good JOB EA. The complaint I may have is I did hit Ali with a right uppercut and a Left hook, I don't care who u R, Tyson would murDa anybody with that combo.. oh and I have to wait a month for this GAME to come out!!! lol once again EA job well done.
well first of yall look at where u are posting. This is the operationsports.com website. pretty much the sim nation of gaming so yes everybody will go into detail and nit pick if u call it only because they want the sport represented in its truest form and they dont fall for silly gimmicks.

# 167 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 02/02/11 10:28 PM
ok my first online experience wasnt too great. I had ali and my opponent had tyson. My strategy going into the fight was to keep my distance of course and work around the ring using my jab as my main weapon. I had to keep pushing him off of me tho because i couldnt really move around the ring as fast as i would have liked. it almost felt like i was stuck sometimes. and i would have to sacrifice a couple of shots to the body r head just to step back. and well i lost unfortunatly. my opponent was nice enough to leave me messages saying how i was running away from him.

# 168 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 02/02/11 10:33 PM
how do you block your body? sorry i dont play boxing games

# 169 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313
I have been preaching this through out this entire thread it makes absolutely no sense why they did this. Not only does hurt the defense but also the offense. No matter what punch you throw first it will be blocked he'll the 2 or 3 I am bummed out.
Quit preaching and start listening because I could only comprehend about 65% of your post!! Now you have surmised that the first punch thrown will always be blocked? That's not the case, even if you activate reflexive blocking by holding the R-Trigger. If your block has been recently weakened by blocking punches and/or you have been HOLDING the R-Trigger too much all kinds of punches will get through. Even if your block is fresh, holding the R-Trigger won't guarantee that your opponent's first punch will be blocked. Boxer's with a good or better reflex rating will have more success, but I guarantee you it's nothing that anybody can exploit. Also who is going to hold the block all the time? You can't punch or move!!

# 170 NINJAK2 @ 02/02/11 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernut
I have no idea what people are talking about in this game. I've been playing the Fight Night series since the first installment and I've always have ranked pretty high I'm also an amateur fighter. I'm not trying bost or anything like that trust me, I'm as critical in the games that I purchase as anybody else. I believe that allot you guys that are complaining are spoiled, EA makes such high quality games you guys find things to nick pick at. You guys have to be honest with yourself and say that this is a really good DEMO, and we all know that the polished version will be even better. I hear guys complaining about foot work and the blocking scheme ... oh and the connect rate.. I've played guys online and the foot work is fine. The connect rate is kool if guys would play the game right then you wouldn't get hit so much, I've had online players only hit me 19% plenty of times or say even 35% I've also have been on the other end were my connect rate was low. The blocking scheme is great too it makes you become more judicious with your punching. I believe allot of players are mad because there used to FN4 and the "HYPER" punching that was in it no more throwing a million punches and cornering your opponent because in this version you can actually circle around the ropes, fatigue plays a big role in this one ( Thank you EA I got tired of almost breaking my controller to get out of the corner and away from the ropes against Hyper punchers in FN4) sorry guys you actually have to box this time around. So pleas EA keep it how it is Im already knowing that the finished product will be way better then the already "classic demo" u guys have put out, good JOB EA. The complaint I may have is I did hit Ali with a right uppercut and a Left hook, I don't care who u R, Tyson would murDa anybody with that combo.. oh and I have to wait a month for this GAME to come out!!! lol once again EA job well done.
You make good points. This is a good demo but some of the beefs people have with this game are legitimate. The footwork is improved but not where it should be imo for a boxing sim. It is workable but not great. It's the equivalent of having a hoop game with lousy/unattractive dribbling animations. While you can still get to the basket with them they draw you out of the realism aspect and you would like to see them improved. People still need to be more nimble in the ring in his game.

As far as the hit % I can keep people in the mid to low 40's. I think the problem is in these exchanges in close proximity. The person who lands a punch 1st isn't really getting any benefit as the person he just hit is still allowed to connect often with his blow that he threw just after the fact or at the same time. Most times in those kind of real life exchanges the person who gets hit 1st loses some accuracy as the blow they took throws off their punch ever so slightly resulting in glancing blows/near misses.

# 171 Steven547 @ 02/02/11 11:16 PM
Played the DEMO...not happy about the recovery mode from a KO. I hated the way you had to get up from a KO last year. It's the same thing.

I'm assuming there will be more slider this year and a "game speed" slider. Game is way too fast right now. Graphics are good, but I wish it was more "live" looking. Right now, it appears as though you are watching a movie and not playing a sports game.

Because we don't have much to go on with this very limited DEMO (no slider options, etc), it just feels like Fight Night 4.5.

# 172 Bamtino @ 02/02/11 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
how do you block your body? sorry i dont play boxing games
You can't block high and low in FNC.

You press the R-trigger and have to hope EA's algorithm blocks for you.

This according to some people is a great idea yet not one of them can explain what makes it so great in boxing nor gaming terms.

# 173 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 11:18 PM
I am done in this thread I have made my point I am glad
You guys enjoy it but i don't I am shocked that someone thought auto block was a great idea

# 174 BlueNGold @ 02/02/11 11:24 PM
I got a flash KO by dropping Cotto (CPU) with a power straight using Pacquiao tonight. Thought that was pretty cool and it was the first flash KO I've seen so far.

Despite that though, I'm so damn torn on this game. At times I like it, but other times I really don't like it all. I think it has the potential to be really good with some good slider edits, but that's assuming the sliders work well.

# 175 Rdub33 @ 02/02/11 11:39 PM
If you want to box in FNC you can! If you want to slug it out in FNC you can! If you want to dance in FNC you can! If you want to play defense in FNC you can! If you are too predictable in FNC you will see stars!

I fight with both Tyson and Ali..whoever the other guy doesnt want. And I love how the strategy for success with each boxer is altogether different. Jabs and Straights from the outside for Ali, and Relentless weaving, blocking and over hand rights for Tyson.

I think its funny when Ali users try to mix it up withTyson throwing hooks and Upercuts! Likewise when people back away with Tyson and try to Jab its beyond pointless!

Yes I agree with the community consensus that presentation is lacking and commentary is like a walkman (out dated)! But overall, March 1st cannot come soon enough for fans of BOXING!

Good job EA

# 176 manrae @ 02/02/11 11:42 PM
This game is terrible.

How can people praise a game with such sluggish control is beyond me.

Way to go EA.......

# 177 Rdub33 @ 02/02/11 11:47 PM
One button Blocking is not a big deal. Think about it in real life, its not very hard to keep your hands up. Ali did it for 14 rounds against Foreman. If someone wants to hold block all day, it will wear on them in later rounds! Dont forget, its only a 3 round demo.

Also, although you can punch from the guard, its alot easier to do damage using the Lean modifier than the block. So punching from the guard has its weaknesses.

# 178 IV THA UNITY @ 02/02/11 11:59 PM
I would like to recant an earlier post..... I have played several online games and ummmm, this game does not represent boxing. I played about 10 online matches and the game feels like a arcade game. When playing as a Boxer ( Ali or Pacquiao ) its hard to show Ring generalship, which makes this demo a non-representative of the sport. Movement should not be that frustrating, now maybe a opponent running should be frustrating but not the actual movement of characters. Movement should not feel as restricted as it does.

Secondly, while the blocking is okay for offline, online their should not be auto timing block, It takes away from the game when a person can just keep pressing the block button to block high and low. This defeats the purpose of mixing combos up because all I have to to do is keep pressing the block button. It really just promotes button mashing.

Third, button punching works very well until you want to throw a power uppercut which doesn't actually come out all the time when pressing the designated buttons. Using the right analog stick will get you smacked as it seems to throw out more punches than you actually want to throw. When playing I was trying to bait my opponent by trying to throw one punch then dodge whatever he would try to throw right after and catch them with a counter punch but when using the analog stick, more times than not more than one punch would execute allow for the opponent to do to me what I was trying to do to him.

There are more issues that I have with the demo but I think the things listed above would result in a better game if fixed.

# 179 Raven Nation42 @ 02/03/11 01:15 AM
Played demo last night and lighting and models were spot on but felt that way about last year's model. I haven't gone online but plan to later today. As for the controls, it's a mix bag for me, when using Cotta and Ali I felt like the left jab was spot on very very fluid, however when I attempted to the same with the right, very stiff and I prefer to control the blocking as oppose to cpu determining when I should block. These are little things that I'm sure will be tweaked with the final product and I look forward to picking it up next month

# 180 JayBee74 @ 02/03/11 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
the computer is not determining when you should block.... you are. it's still up to you to decide when to block. what I dislike the most about this whole argument is that we finally are getting some "ratings based" tendencies and it's a problem. this actually makes the block rating have some validation. having your success at blocking be tied in to the ratings is starting to really create some tendencies ala 2k.

not to mention. If it's so easy to just hold block, than why the high connect rate. with all the complaining about high connect percentages, what do you guys think it would be if it were all manual blocking?
Yeah, I just don't get the argument.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.