Home
NCAA Football 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game Informer posted a story today detailing all of the changes to NCAA Football 12's biggest modes. However, it appears the outlet may have jumped the gun when it comes to revealing the Road to Glory details because they were removed shortly after publication -- of course, we will attach those RTG details at the bottom of the story since OS user illwill10 saved the info.

Most of the info about Dynasty mode was revealed by IGN on Friday, so even the video Game Informer posted does not provide much new info on this front, but it's still another chance to listen to the smooth-sounding Kirk Herbstreit -- he's so dreamy. In the video, you can see the implementation of custom conferences, the Coaching Carousel and creating a coach.

Beyond the video, one new aspect that we previously did not know about Dynasty mode is the real-world cost of some of the "premium" features included with the Online Dynasty mode.

Online Dynasty Mode
  • Commish can advance the week from the web – but only if you pay a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points
  • You can super-sim your games versus the CPU on the web -- including calling plays, modifying your depth chart, and more. You can also pause the game at any time, sim forward a quarter, etc. Again, however, this will cost you a one-time fee of $2.99 or 240 Microsoft Points.
  • Both of the above browser features can be bought in one Commissioner Pack for $6.99/560 MP, and the pack also includes the ability to be commish to up to five dynasties.

Some people will obviously be upset about these micro-transactions, especially because they are web-only features, but it's really up to consumers to decide whether or not these things are worth their money. Last year, folks had to pay extra if they wanted to run more than one online dynasty, and that cost is still here, but it's being grouped in with a bunch of other "premium" features that can be purchased in the "Commissioner Pack" for $6.99. It is also worth noting that it cost $14.99 to commish five online dynasties in NCAA Football 11, while this year the cost is considerably less.

The other interesting part of this story is how the Road to Glory mode will seemingly be devoid of ways to make your way through it in a quicker fashion via micro-transactions.

Road to Glory Mode
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they’ll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Of course, there could be other micro-transactions we have just not heard about yet for RTG, but for the time being, this type of design decision flies in the face of previous EA Sports efforts where you could buy your way to being the best if you did not want to spend the time to build up your character on your own.

Lastly, as promised, here is the full list of Road to Glory details that were originally in the Game Informer story:

This year's [Road to Glory] mode is designed by former Auburn running back Alex Howell. He says his aim is to "create as much of my high school and college experience that I could through Road to Glory."

High School
  • Explores your high school years more in depth, so you'll play a full senior season and gain recruiting points that are based on your stats.
  • After each game you'll pick three local schools of varying prestige that are interested in you
  • Your recruiting board shows which schools you've picked and how far you are to earning a scholarship for each one. You can walk on to any school, but if you have a scholarship, you'll be able to transfer your recruiting points into XP for college
  • You'll play and be recruited on both sides of the ball
  • You can edit your HS senior season from seven to eleven games, and can import online browser-built Team Builder teams as your opponents. This lets you recreate your real-life high school team's schedule if you want

College

Coach's Trust
  • You work your way up the depth chart by earning Coach's Trust Points, and even when you have enough points to catch the player who's higher than you on the chart, you can then only take that position by winning a Position Battle – which is a glorified practice session
  • Non-starters will earn Trust Points through practices and occasions when you see the field during mop-up time, etc.
  • Coach Trust Points extend to your on-the-field power. QBs won't be able to call audibles or hot routes until they have earned the coach's trust
  • Earn enough points and you can have the chance to call plays from "Extra Plays" – an extended selection of plays than what the coach has already called. This is available in varying frequency during a game the more Trust Points you earn
  • The development team is also working on improving the AI play calling

XP and the Upgrade Store
  • XP you earn during your college career is spent on item packs in the Upgrade Store. These packs are built around groups of attributes for specific types of players. For example, the scat back pack boosts your acceleration and juke ability
  • There are 600 item packs total, and they'll be six different ones available each week. Rarity, cost, and duration vary, but they will all be based around your position
  • Upgrade Store items cannot be bought via micro-transactions

Misc.
  • Calendar system scrapped, and the Road to Glory presentation is similar to the Dynasty Mode's menus
  • The mode's menus, replays, montages, etc. will be centered around your player
  • Practices are now 25 reps per practice
  • Can save all your Road to Glory replays onto your NCAA browser page
  • No more study sessions on your calendar

Source - Deep Inside NCAA Football 12 (Game Informer)

Game: NCAA Football 12Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 104 - View All
NCAA Football 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 poopoop @ 05/23/11 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
Can you please explain how you "know" they spent dev time on this that could have been spent on things they wouldn't have charged for? The resources spent on developing this didn't necessarily take away from the team working on the base product and could have been created specifically for this revenue-generating add-on in mind. I'm not saying it definitely was one way or another, but to say you KNOW that is what happened I think is a little presumptuous.
Both are bad for different reasons. Either they took time that could've been better used on the $60 game or they were so confident they could generate revenue doing this they added on extra hours. Pick your poison. If it's the latter just know that things will very likely get a lot worse in the future when it comes to micro-transactions. Because they know people will run out and buy.

Quote:
Again, this is subject to opinion. You can do everything in your OD on your xbox without having these. If you want to move to another platform (PC) to perform these activities, you pay a premium. Its the definition of add-on. Just because you believe it should be part of the base package doesn't make it so.
Again if you want access to the full OD feature set. The complete list of things they added it will cost you $67 instead of $60. Period. We can sit here and pretend it's an add-on PC game or however you guys want to frame it. This isn't EA packaging NBA Jam with NBA Elite. This is them charging you $3 to advance your dynasty from your computer.

Quote:
Was I disappointed when I saw it was a premium add-on today? Very... but I understand why they did it this way and if given the option between having these features for $7 and not having them at all I'd rather be where we are now.
Yes you sound very disappointed.

# 142 mattbooty @ 05/23/11 06:06 PM
I think the conversation on microtransactions has run its course, from here on we are just saying the same things. Bottom line if they weren't going to charge for these particular items I don't think we were going to get them due to the additional costs its going to incur EA to host them. Contrary to your sarcasm yes I am disappointed we have to pay for these features, but I am happy we are GETTING the features and if I have to choose between not getting them at all or paying for them I'll gladly pay for them. You seem to be of the opposite opinion, if you can't get them for free you would rather no one get them. That is fine, you are entitled to that opinion. I just disagree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
This is them charging you $3 to advance your dynasty from your computer.
Finally we agree on something!

# 143 yanks26ngoin @ 05/23/11 06:11 PM
Let me see here...We cant hire/fire our own coordinators when we are HC? Uhhhh, anyone else see this issue here? Head Coaches make the final decision on hiring/firing assistants. AD's can recommend what to do or send an ultimatum of "his head or yours", but they cannot fire them. That is the job of the coaches. This should be put in the game, or it just renders the coaching carousel useless. I am sure this is just a coding issue that can be patched, correct? Also, as a coordinator, you should only recruit for your side of the ball. You should not have the final say over all of recruiting. Also, the HC should recommend to whom you offer a scholarship to. Otherwise, a coordinator means nothing besides only controlling the game play on one side of the ball.

As for 2013, I expect to see the addition of ratings for the coaches, like offense and defense, maybe positions and also recruiting. Maybe teaching and potential rating can be added. As well as anything that was not patched in, like HC's hiring/firing coordinators and the recruiting thing. The point is to feel the full effect of coaching carousel, like we do in CH 2k8. Maybe also add in an AD Mode to the off season Dynasty, as well as Spring Games and HS All American Games.

RTG looks to be good. But I do have one axe to grind. We have to play both sides of the ball? Really? Yeah, most high schools have players playing both sides but that could be a depth issue or if the player is just too good at the other side also. But look at recruiting, QB's rarely play both sides. OL dont play both sides. DL dont really play both sides. Correct me if I am misinterpreting this, but it does seem like we have to play both sides.

# 144 UMhester04 @ 05/23/11 06:15 PM
"Your coaching prestige and job security change from week to week, so you’ll have to ride the rollercoaster all season, and this also affects your recruiting. If you’re on the hot seat, for example, players may be less inclined to sign onto your program."

Haven't seen anyone talk about this piece of information yet, sounds great.

# 145 sparkdawg777 @ 05/23/11 06:17 PM
Quote:
I think the conversation on microtransactions has run its course, from here on we are just saying the same things. Bottom line if they weren't going to charge for these particular items I don't think we were going to get them due to the additional costs its going to incur EA to host them. Contrary to your sarcasm yes I am disappointed we have to pay for these features, but I am happy we are GETTING the features and if I have to choose between not getting them at all or paying for them I'll gladly pay for them. You seem to be of the opposite opinion, if you can't get them for free you would rather no one get them. That is fine, you are entitled to that opinion. I just disagree with it.

Finally we agree on something!

You aint kiddin', how many other sports games let you advance your dynasty on the computer? How many let you actually sim games on the computer? Exactly, if you want to be a cheapass and not pay less than 10 bucks for a pretty cool feature then quit complaining and don't buy the game, otherwise deal with it.

# 146 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
RTG looks to be good. But I do have one axe to grind. We have to play both sides of the ball? Really? Yeah, most high schools have players playing both sides but that could be a depth issue or if the player is just too good at the other side also. But look at recruiting, QB's rarely play both sides. OL dont play both sides. DL dont really play both sides. Correct me if I am misinterpreting this, but it does seem like we have to play both sides.
I dont think we HAVE too. I think it would be an option. Only Athletic QBs play both sides.
It is a great option though. I would love to play Power RB and LB or WR/DB. IT adds depth. RTG will be great.

# 147 mattbooty @ 05/23/11 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
Most high school players who are college talents play both ways in high school because they are the best player at that school. Lineman play both OL and DL. QBs (even pocket passers are often among the more athletic players on their high school teams, although not always)/WRs are often in the secondary on defense. If they are getting recruited they are just that good compared to the other players on the team.

# 148 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 06:28 PM
Will it be possible to import your player from RTG into dynasty as a coach?

# 149 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by volstopfan14
Will it be possible to import your player from RTG into dynasty as a coach?
I believe the RTG embargo lifts in June. Info released today was probably paid to get leaked.
Even if it is not in, I will make my OC/HC similar to my RTG player. I will try to have similar faces and body build. I will make my OC similar to my RTG RB. I will run a run-heavy offense

# 150 BenGerman @ 05/23/11 06:37 PM
I'm not nearly as disappointed as most people. The only thing I can't understand is why we aren't able to hire and fire our own coaches, but it really doesn't play much of a role if the HC (the user) is running his own playstyle anyway. What I'll probably do is start out as a defensive coach, and then whatever OC is hired under myself as a HC, I'll use their playbook for offense. This way whoever my school hires and fires actually matters.

Also, I know in some cases the HC hires his own staff, but doesn't a lot of it have to do with the Athletic Director? The only reason I don't like the omission of hiring/firing our coaches is that we don't get to pick a coach who fits our ideology on both Offense and Defense. Still, I love the way they are doing it this year, and didn't expect Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators to be in the game anyway.

# 151 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I believe the RTG embargo lifts in June. Info released today was probably paid to get leaked.
Even if it is not in, I will make my OC/HC similar to my RTG player. I will try to have similar faces and body build. I will make my OC similar to my RTG RB. I will run a run-heavy offense
I thought the RTG embargo was lifted cause I saw the big list of features on PastaParde. I remember that feature from the PS2 where after you were done with RTG you could either declare for the draft or become a coach in dynasty. It would be great to start as a high school senior, play four years in college, get a job as a coordinator at some small school, and work your way up to being the head coach of your alma mater.

# 152 HoundsOfHowl @ 05/23/11 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I'm not nearly as disappointed as most people. The only thing I can't understand is why we aren't able to hire and fire our own coaches, but it really doesn't play much of a role if the HC (the user) is running his own playstyle anyway. What I'll probably do is start out as a defensive coach, and then whatever OC is hired under myself as a HC, I'll use their playbook for offense. This way whoever my school hires and fires actually matters.

Also, I know in some cases the HC hires his own staff, but doesn't a lot of it have to do with the Athletic Director? The only reason I don't like the omission of hiring/firing our coaches is that we don't get to pick a coach who fits our ideology on both Offense and Defense. Still, I love the way they are doing it this year, and didn't expect Offensive Coordinators and Defensive Coordinators to be in the game anyway.
Thank you, I know alot of things I could be disappointed with, but I'm not. The way I look at it everything has to start out somewhere.

# 153 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 06:44 PM
Quote:

I really agree. At first I was very dissapointed but now after thinking about it I've realized that what I was expecting was unrealistic in just 1 year. However, like you said, I really do not understand why we can't hire/fire assistant coaches. Hopefully EA continues to build on this feature next year by adding ratings, the abilty to hire/fire assistants, and more cause this has a ton of potential. I'm excited about what has been added and look forward to the release.

# 154 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 06:46 PM
Quote:
I'm not nearly as disappointed as most people. The only thing I can't understand is why we aren't able to hire and fire our own coaches, but it really doesn't play much of a role if the HC (the user) is running his own playstyle anyway.
The only reason I don't like the omission of hiring/firing our coaches is that we don't get to pick a coach who fits our ideology on both Offense and Defense.
Me either. I wish other "Little Things" would have been added. But I am more than okay with it. Might have to wait for Friday.
I plan on starting as a OC. But, I already had plans on what Defense I wanted to run and will make a Custom Playbook. I hope we can give suggestions on what scheme we want to have. I had plans on make a Multi-Def playbook with mainly 3-4, 4-3,3-3-5, and Quarter.

# 155 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 06:48 PM
Quote:
I thought the RTG embargo was lifted cause I saw the big list of features on PastaParde. I remember that feature from the PS2 where after you were done with RTG you could either declare for the draft or become a coach in dynasty. It would be great to strat as a high school senior, play four years in college, get a job as a coordinator at some small school, and work your way up to being the head coach of your alma mater.
No I think they just were allowed to put that info. I know they are waiting for E3 for RTG.
I remember that feature

# 156 volstopfan14 @ 05/23/11 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
No I think they just were allowed to put that info. I know they are waiting for E3 for RTG.
I remember that feature
Oh ok. Hopefully thst gets put in. RTG seems like it will really be improved this year.

# 157 Solidice @ 05/23/11 06:52 PM
Quote:
I thought the RTG embargo was lifted cause I saw the big list of features on PastaParde. I remember that feature from the PS2 where after you were done with RTG you could either declare for the draft or become a coach in dynasty. It would be great to start as a high school senior, play four years in college, get a job as a coordinator at some small school, and work your way up to being the head coach of your alma mater.
most got the info from GameInformer as they originally had an article that had both Dynasty and RTG improvement. the RTG stuff on GameInformer has since been removed, but other "non-main stream media" sites I guess are not under NDA can keep it up(at least until EA contacts them, even then, not sure what can be done).

# 158 illwill10 @ 05/23/11 06:56 PM
Quote:
Oh ok. Hopefully thst gets put in. RTG seems like it will really be improved this year.
It really will be majorly improved.
I hope they add skill points. I am not sure if there are skill points. I saw REcruitng and Coach Trust points. Because each postion had a important rating that would improve. IE, It didnt matter which type of WR you picked you wouldnt have a high SPEC Cat.

# 159 berad88 @ 05/23/11 07:44 PM
What happens if you start a dynasty as an older coach and that coach that you are playing as retires?
I wonder if you will either never retire or if you do retire if you can then pick another coach to play as.

# 160 poopoop @ 05/23/11 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
I don't understand why people are questioning EA charging $3 to "Advance your dynasty from your computer." To the working individual who may only have a certain amount of time to devote to games - say, 2-4 hours - this is extremely convenient. This gives THEM the option to run an online dynasty from work or when they're away from the system.

No one wants to be in the league with the Commish who's never online.

Also, what if you play MORE THAN ONE game? Maybe I want to play Modern Warfare 3, but everyone in my dynasty is finishing up and ready to advance? Now, I don't have to switch games JUST to advance a dynasty, I can log in online and do it - and still recruit, Super-Sim my game if it's against a CPU.

And let's be honest: Is 3 dollars REALLY a big deal? I mean, I assume everyone who does a OD won't get this, as probably the guys who want to be a really great Commish will, as will the working individual. But seriously, you can pay $3 for this, or 2 double cheeseburgers and a small fry.
It's not questioning the feature, it's questioning the charge. And it doesn't make a huge difference what the charge is (outside of extremes on either end) it's more about the principle.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.