Home
Madden 12 News Post

The biggest addition to Madden NFL 12 online is certainly the new "Communities" feature that will affect both Online Team Play and head-to-head games.

Anthony DiMento, a designer working on Madden 12, has written a blog at EA.com explaining the new feature in quite some depth.

Quote:
I’ve been waiting for this day for months now, and it’s finally here, the debut of Madden NFL 12’s newest online feature: Communities. Around this time each year, the design team starts getting together, kicking around ideas and looking at priorities for what we want to add to next year’s game. We started Madden NFL 12 by looking at the core online experience and Ranked Head-to-Head, in particular. For years now, we have been hearing complaints about how hard it is to find a good matchup online. Opponents quitting games, cheesing or running the same play again and again, and gamers looking for creative ways to cheat their way up the leaderboard have really been plaguing the online space. We listened to our fans and found a very large group of gamers who only play against their friends and use our Ranked Invites and Leaderboards to track their progress against each other. We talked to our hardcore fans and found a lot of sim-football players who only want to play against guys who play sim-football and we talked to even more who just wanted to find an opponent who would finish a game. Finally, we asked ourselves, what is the correct solution to these problems? How can we let our gamers play ranked games against their friends, play the way they want to play it, and create a safe environment where you don’t have to worry about cheaters, quitters, or grievers? The answer became Communities.
You can read the rest of the blog by heading over to EA.com. Also be sure to check back here throughout the day as we will have more details about Online Communities.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 XtremeDunkz @ 07/26/11 05:14 AM
yup, 3 years without adding sliders to OF but they come up with this idea and can add sliders no problem, sigh.

# 62 therealsmallville @ 07/26/11 09:15 AM
I don't play online anymore, but there was one thing I was hoping for that would have brought me back and it wasn't there: roster sharing.

Am I the only one who was disappointed this wasn't part of the big news? The ability to share classic nfl rosters, for use in both online and offline, would have been amazing. Could you imagine taking the '89 49ers up against the '93 Cowboys? Or how about the Steel Curtain vs the Greatest Show On Turf?

That's what I was hoping for, but no biggie I guess. I'm genuinely happy for those who will benefit from the communities feature, though. Baby steps eventually leads to running, after all.

# 63 DaveDQ @ 07/26/11 10:33 AM
What a lot of you guys want is to be able to stop exploiters. It's not going to happen. Yes, I'm upset that the OF isn't being touched, but the concept of online communities works in that you can monitor who is in your community.

But a lot of gamers still want that. They want to dominate the ranked matches, but get furious when "cheesers" are doing it so easily. The best thing to do is get a community of reputable players and go at it with that, but for whatever reason many aren't satisfied with that...but we should be.

# 64 RogueHominid @ 07/26/11 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Exactly how do Online Communities change that? I can set up a community and call it sim and set all the sliders i want (still love to hear how they couldn't get at least sliders in Online Franchise) there is nothing stopping people from playing non-sim.

So now you can say well the person in charge can boot them and again I say to you that I have the same control with a friends list. Basically this is a large friends list, with stat tracking and leader boards.

Bottom line this is to cater to the online ranked players who like to see their names on leader boards. Most people I know want a way to play in leagues and this does nothing to help them that I can see.
Yup. This is the not-so-hidden problem in the Communities idea. I have a hunch that policing them will be much harder than those pushing PR for the feature will admit. I can see the issue of policing causing serious problems for the Communities feature in practical terms.

How much time does a community founder have to respond to potential complaints about individuals' game play? It's very hard to do that with the small sample size of a 32-man league, much less a bigger group.

I'm prepared to hear trumpeting fanfare in response, but anyone who has played consistently with a community of even 15-20 guys knows that things get hairy and that the utopian idea of communing with gamers who hold shared beliefs is hardly ever realized.

Maybe between now and release the communities could be given a larger administrative structure like diocese and bishoprics and parishes and such.

# 65 Longhorn33 @ 07/26/11 09:45 PM
How will we get into the community? Do we have to have a password?

Would be cool if they held monthly Community tournaments where the top ranked players from each community faced off in a tournament for Community bragging rights!

Not so sure this feature will be my favorite since I usually only play games with OS users and my friends anyways.

# 66 ODogg @ 07/26/11 10:37 PM
This is the feature I've been wanting for years....I'm now officially excited about Madden!!

# 67 ODogg @ 07/26/11 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn33
How will we get into the community? Do we have to have a password?

Would be cool if they held monthly Community tournaments where the top ranked players from each community faced off in a tournament for Community bragging rights!

Not so sure this feature will be my favorite since I usually only play games with OS users and my friends anyways.
The guy who starts the community sets whether it has a password or not. As for your last sentence, this should make this feature your favorite I would think since now it will be easier for you to find fellow OSers!

Oh and Btw, you can count on me starting an OS Grandpa Gamers community for older, sim-style guys to play in!

# 68 ODogg @ 07/27/11 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Yup. This is the not-so-hidden problem in the Communities idea. I have a hunch that policing them will be much harder than those pushing PR for the feature will admit. I can see the issue of policing causing serious problems for the Communities feature in practical terms.

How much time does a community founder have to respond to potential complaints about individuals' game play? It's very hard to do that with the small sample size of a 32-man league, much less a bigger group.

I'm prepared to hear trumpeting fanfare in response, but anyone who has played consistently with a community of even 15-20 guys knows that things get hairy and that the utopian idea of communing with gamers who hold shared beliefs is hardly ever realized.

Maybe between now and release the communities could be given a larger administrative structure like diocese and bishoprics and parishes and such.
The original guy who starts the communities can appoint others as "police" as well, it's not supposed to just be one user doing all of it, that would be really impractical for larger communities.

# 69 RogueHominid @ 07/27/11 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMosier_LM
This is the age of the internet.... Everyone can capture video on a cell phone or pc or video camera to provide evidence. It's really not as hard as some make it out to be. Plus each community has mods in addition to the administrator. Keeping a 32 man OF within the rules isn't that hard... Especially when you use the tools at hand as stated above..
K. I stand corrected. Sounds like it'll be great!

# 70 Sausage @ 07/27/11 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s38s38s
There's an option to make the community invite only (which is like what mine will be as I look to expand beyond my friends list and OLF's), so a room for OS could be set to private and a member would have to be invited and potentially have their OS account verified for admission. Also if a cheeser slides in they can always be booted by a Community Manager (not just the creator) much like Mods to a forum.

So you could probably stand to be a bit more optimistic regarding the potential this offers.
This is exactly what came to mind. An Operation Sports Invitation only room. Maybe one of the mods can start it so there aren't 50 OS rooms. Imagine that!!

# 71 Danimal @ 07/27/11 12:16 PM
Quote:
This is the age of the internet.... Everyone can capture video on a cell phone or pc or video camera to provide evidence. It's really not as hard as some make it out to be.
Seriously? People care that much about their online records that they would do this?

What's easier?

A) Hey that guy is a cheeser let me go capture the video and send it to a community mod. To get him kicked.

B) I'll just play people on my friends list who I know and play the game right.

# 72 ODogg @ 07/27/11 10:43 PM
Why would you even need a cell phone or something like that to capture proof of the cheesing though really, if you're playing online then just save a highlight and post it on your EA sportsworld page.

# 73 Panicshade @ 07/27/11 10:46 PM
If anyone starts an OS Beginner/Casual Community I would like to join.

# 74 ODogg @ 07/27/11 11:35 PM
Quote:
Lol yeah, I forgot about that one, thanks bro. But yeah that too. Like I said rhough there are options available and they are the same thing a lot of people use for rule breakers in other modes...
To address Danimal's post - I understand what you are saying about "just playing with people you know" but I think the purpose of this feature is to allow us to broaden the people we know. Some of us have large Xbox/PS3 friends lists full of great, straight, sim-style gamers who play Madden and others don't. Some, like myself have some but not a lot. This feature should help immensely in finding gamers who play the way we like to play.

As for the work of keeping the community clean, if everyone helps one another then it's not such a huge chore. And for me the payoff of helping a community keep it's sim-style play is really worth the payoff of building my friends list and expanding the amount of straight, sim-style gamers that I can play Madden against.

# 75 Danimal @ 07/28/11 12:14 AM
ODogg,

Let me just be perfectly clear and this will be my last post on the subject.

I'm not against communities. If people enjoy them then so be it. I just find it a very underwhelming feature. Even if they had improved Online Franchise in addition to this feature I would feel the same.

As you've stated I only play with people I know whether it be one off games, online franchise or even games like BFBC2. The ability to be in a community with 2000 people who "supposedly" play like I do holds no interest for me because I'm still essentially playing random people.

I understand your point about broadening your opponent pool and I sincerely hope it works but I've been around this whole scene long enough (original Live Beta tester baby!) to hear and see some incredible things online that just make me feel otherwise.

The only thing an Online community can give me I don't already have is a way for me and my friends to have leader boards / stat tracking and that's not something I really care about. Will I try it? Of course I will but it doesn't change the fact that it isn't really geared towards me. It's geared towards the thousands of people who play ranked games and giving them the ability to try and fine tune who they play.

I get it, I understand the logic behind why it was needed and who knows I may end up using it more then I think. However I don't think it is unreasonable for people to be "meh" on this since we've had excellent match making / stat tracking / party systems in other games as far back as Halo 2.

I won't speak for others but when I see quotes thrown around like "will change how you play online" I'm not expecting a clan system.

I'll refrain further comments on it to I or someone I know actually sees it in actions.

# 76 iamgramps @ 07/28/11 02:02 PM
I wish there was a way to set a community up for "Fair play". At least that would be somewhat cheese proof. Although, I'm not against this feature, I just think it's to much work to police your community. I want play and enjoy the game, not work when I'm suppose to be relaxing enjoying the game.

# 77 ODogg @ 07/29/11 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgramps
I wish there was a way to set a community up for "Fair play". At least that would be somewhat cheese proof. Although, I'm not against this feature, I just think it's to much work to police your community. I want play and enjoy the game, not work when I'm suppose to be relaxing enjoying the game.
Then join one someone else polices, from your nickname you'd be right at home in the grandpa gamers community!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.