Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their first NBA 2K12 Developer Insight of the year, as they go over the marketing and community efforts they have planned. New screenshots have been included!

It’s my favorite time of year, as we’re now just 53 days away from launch and, like many of you, this time of year feels like the holidays. We’re going to be BIG this year with constant NBA 2K12 news from here until launch so be sure to stay up-to-date on all the hot new stuff we’re bringing to you this year.

I remember that, over the course of the spring, I would get the two questions time and time again: 1) how does NBA 2K12 outdo Michael Jordan as cover athlete and 2) how does it follow-up on it’s critical acclaim in terms of gameplay? Both questions have been on everyone’s mind since the success of last year’s game, which saw us sell more than 5 million copies and win 20 “Sports Game of the Year” awards from various publications. And they’re fair, because 2K11 was undoubtedly the best basketball game ever released in the eyes of this (maybe somewhat biased) observer.

Firstly, let me address the cover. We could only follow up “His Airness” one way -by doing it even bigger and better than anything before. So we’ve not only brought back MJ for NBA 2K12, but we’re also inviting a couple of his friends: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, who will appear on their own covers at launch. What better way to ring in the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode” than with three of the best players to ever lace them up?

Jordan, Magic and Bird (along with Julius “Dr. J” Erving and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) are just five of the 15 NBA legends we’re bringing into the mix for the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode.” Who will be the other 10? We’re letting you sounds guys sound off and as usual, the feedback from our community has been amazing. More than 200,000 votes have been cast on Facebook, resulting in the current top 15 (Bryant, James and Wade excluded):

1. Shaquille O’Neal – 12.1%
2. Allen Iverson – 9.4%
3. Wilt Chamberlain – 8.4%
4. Reggie Miller – 7%
5. Hakeem Olajuwon – 6.2%
6. Charles Barkley – 6%
7. Bill Russell – 5.1%
8. Dominique Wilkins – 4%
9. Oscar Robertson – 3.5%
10. Karl Malone – 2.5%
11. John Stockton – 2%
12. Jerry West – 1.6%
13. Scottie Pippen – 1.6%
14. Patrick Ewing – 1.4%
15. Isiah Thomas – 1.2%

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of community involvement over the next two months. We’ve created a skeleton list of the 15 players and rivalries to be featured in NBA’s Greatest. But we’ve been interested in your feedback. Is there a particular game or player you want to relive in NBA 2K12? You’ll finally get the chance to do so come Oct 4.

The next question is how we improve on our unprecedented gameplay. Our momentum from NBA 2K11 has definitely carried over into this year’s launch cycle, and that was very apparent when we showed up to E3. We were a focal point at Sony’s show and with a little help from five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, our brand was able to gain some huge attention. When the dust had settled at E3, we had picked up eight “Sports Game of the Year” nominations. As you remember, I was at E3 and it became apparent that we’re bigger than ever when we coaxed those awards despite only showing a five minute demo behind closed doors.

So far, the news of our cover and the “NBA’s Greatest” Mode has set off waves in the industry. But OBVIOSULY, the largest part of the game is the 2011-2012 NBA season and players and all the gameplay features that you have come to expect of us. But if last year proved anything, NBA fans care very much about the history of the game, and how it’s influenced the present-day game. We want to pay attention to that and we want people to compare the generations, players and teams and decide once and for all who’s better. I thank Scottie Pippen for that when he debated whether LeBron was better than Michael around the NBA Finals. I saw that blow up Twitter that week. Why not let that debate live on? Having said all that, I felt like it was a good idea to leak a couple screenshots of current players to the loyal readers of our Developer Insights…

Click here for a higher resolution screenshot

And just to give you guys an exclusive heads up: The complete roster for NBA’s Greatest and a greater breakdown on the mode will be revealed next Friday, August 19th. My main man Erick Boenisch, or as you know him SimBaller, will be dropping a Developer Insight on the subject. But the news won’t stop there, as we’ll be releasing new Developer Insights at least once a week (Monday, Wednesday, and/or Friday… at least a dozen total) and news constantly over the next eight weeks leading up to launch. As always, you can expect Insights about Gameplay, My Player, and Online along with other unannounced features. I hope you’re as excited for October 4 as I am. As I said, it’s my favorite time of year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 SouthBeach @ 08/13/11 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSensui
Agreed. I'm one of those people who only has a bit of an interest in this legends stuff.

The E3 demo, and some stuff in that reveal trailer makes me worried about the state of the gameplay.
Not to be rude, but what "stuff in that reveal" could you possibly have seen that would worry you?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the E3 gameplay, as it was mainly to showcase Sony's Playstation Move in an early demo (since we're all privy to the official demo being Miami vs. Dallas and not Miami vs. L.A.).

Give them some time bro. This is only the first Insight...and as you read, it was more or less an introduction to the other 11 insights. I'm sure the things most important to you will be addressed in a future Developer Insight.

# 82 JSensui @ 08/13/11 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
Not to be rude, but what "stuff in that reveal" could you possibly have seen that would worry you?

I wouldn't be too concerned with the E3 gameplay, as it was mainly to showcase Sony's Playstation Move in an early demo (since we're all privy to the official demo being Miami vs. Dallas and not Miami vs. L.A.).

Give them some time bro. This is only the first Insight...and as you read, it was more or less an introduction to the other 11 insights. I'm sure the things most important to you will be addressed in a future Developer Insight.
Mainly Jordan's fastbreak dunk. I had a thread recently about my distaste for 2K's transition game.

Like I said before, "I'm worried". I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to do to actually fix the problems of 2k10/11, so I haven't made a judgement one way or another.

# 83 Da_Czar @ 08/13/11 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky454
I forgot about Rafer Alston. Yeah watching rafer show off his streetball moves was fun to watch. But J-Will's elbow pass was the greatest pass ever. An elbow pass is crazy!

As for Pete Maravich I wasn't alive when he played. I'll have to go to a dinosaur musuem to watch video on a dusty vhs cassette of of Pete Maravich playing. lol. Just joking. Da_Czar are you nba 2k's ratings czar?
That was cold fam !!! LOL Nah, I am not the ratings czar.

# 84 Da_Czar @ 08/13/11 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
sooo...confirmed for 2k12?
I see what you did there. I counter with

# 85 Da_Czar @ 08/13/11 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSensui
Agreed. I'm one of those people who only has a bit of an interest in this legends stuff.

The E3 demo, and some stuff in that reveal trailer makes me worried about the state of the gameplay.
Don't be. Gameplay team put in work as usual.

# 86 slliMMills @ 08/13/11 05:08 PM
I like what Im seeing so far. More legends mean Im not going to get bored during the lockout. And I think the 2k community has been complaining about the game play all year. So lets hope they heard us. Especially when you passed the ball up court and the player is heading towards the bench. THat HAS TO GO!!!

# 87 nba2k23 @ 08/13/11 05:11 PM
Is it true that the 2000-01 Sacramento Kings will be available if you pre order? If so what website is offering it?

# 88 qpc123 @ 08/13/11 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba2k23
Is it true that the 2000-01 Sacramento Kings will be available if you pre order? If so what website is offering it?
It's 02 Kings not 01 that are supposed to be available with pre-order

# 89 VDusen04 @ 08/13/11 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
It's 02 Kings not 01 that are supposed to be available with pre-order
Edit: Yep, I just posted that but you beat me to it, ha. The '02 Kings will apparently be available alongside the 1991 Golden State Warriors. Initially reports of the teams being the '01 Kings were corrected here by 2K guy SimBaller. I'm not sure how pre-orders work though, so I don't know exactly how we take advantage of this offer. Perhaps we'll find out next Friday during the "Greatest" insight.

# 90 nba2k23 @ 08/13/11 06:00 PM
Why would they use the 02 kings with Bibby instead of the 01 Kings with Jason Williams? That doesn't make ANY sense. The 01 Kings not only had Williams but they were much more popular, Hense the SI cover "Greatest Show On Court". Not to mention more fun to use in 2k12 with Williams passing ability.

# 91 rel @ 08/13/11 06:32 PM
I'm praying for a chance to play as Reggie + '97 '98 pacers

# 92 qpc123 @ 08/13/11 06:41 PM
Quote:
Why would they use the 02 kings with Bibby instead of the 01 Kings with Jason Williams? That doesn't make ANY sense. The 01 Kings not only had Williams but they were much more popular, Hense the SI cover "Greatest Show On Court". Not to mention more fun to use in 2k12 with Williams passing ability.
Because the '01 Kings got swept by LA in the conference semi-finals and the '02 Kings took the two-time defending champs to 7 games in the conference finals and had the best regular season record. '01 was a more a more exciting team but '02 was a much better team.

# 93 nba2k23 @ 08/13/11 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
Because the '01 Kings got swept by LA in the conference semi-finals and the '02 Kings took the two-time defending champs to 7 games in the conference finals and had the best regular season record. '01 was a more a more exciting team but '02 was a much better team.
The 00-01 and 01-02 rosters are pretty much the same except the 01 team has J-Will and the 02 team has Bibby. If 2k used the 01 team you could swap J-Will for Bibby who will already be in the game on the Heat. That way you could basically have both teams.

# 94 VDusen04 @ 08/13/11 08:20 PM
Quote:
The 00-01 and 01-02 rosters are pretty much the same except the 01 team has J-Will and the 02 team has Bibby. If 2k used the 01 team you could swap J-Will for Bibby who will already be in the game on the Heat. That way you could basically have both teams.
I definitely feel where you're coming from because as a basketball fan, young Jason Williams was a ton of fun to watch. And it'd undoubtedly be just as entertaining to run with a young, signature-passing J-Will in 2K12. However, I'm thinking 2K chose to select the club that was entertaining and successful. And while a Williams-less squad in '02 may have been slightly less exciting, they were arguably a much better team overall. So in this case, I suppose overall ability outweighs individual entertainment.

# 95 youvalss @ 08/13/11 08:29 PM
Half of the excitement about watching Jason Williams was watching passes that went to the stands. If he could make simpler passes and be more responsible, he would have averaged more assists and maybe make the guys around him better.

He was more of a gimmick, in my opinion. Not really a PG I would like to see on my team.

# 96 skinnybonez @ 08/13/11 09:08 PM
white chocolate>pistol pete

# 97 VDusen04 @ 08/13/11 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Half of the excitement about watching Jason Williams was watching passes that went to the stands. If he could make simpler passes and be more responsible, he would have averaged more assists and maybe make the guys around him better.

He was more of a gimmick, in my opinion. Not really a PG I would like to see on my team.
Actually, once he moved over to Memphis, I think he may have led the league in assist-to-turnover ratio in '03 with close to four assists for every one turnover. He made an interesting (and necessary) transformation. In his second year in the league, his assist-to-turnover ratio was less than 2:1.

# 98 nba2k23 @ 08/13/11 09:59 PM
a few suggestions for "Greatest Mode"
Twin Towers

Shaq and Penny

Hakeem vs. Ewing

Jordan vs. Barkley

Lew Alcindor and Oscar Robertson's Bucks

Bill Russell and John Havlicek's Celtics

Reggie Miller's Pacers vs. Spike Lee and 94 Knicks

# 99 youvalss @ 08/13/11 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Actually, once he moved over to Memphis, I think he may have led the league in assist-to-turnover ratio in '03 with close to four assists for every one turnover. He made an interesting (and necessary) transformation. In his second year in the league, his assist-to-turnover ratio was less than 2:1.
Yeah, he got better after a while and more responsible, but he's still nothing to write home about. He did have 2 seasons with 8+ assists per game, but still he wasn't anything great in my book. Look at his FT% throughout his career. It's pretty much tells you about this guy - a roller coaster.

# 100 Evilgangsta187 @ 08/13/11 10:20 PM
O MY GOD Adiddas teck fit sleeves 0.0

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.