Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their first NBA 2K12 Developer Insight of the year, as they go over the marketing and community efforts they have planned. New screenshots have been included!

It’s my favorite time of year, as we’re now just 53 days away from launch and, like many of you, this time of year feels like the holidays. We’re going to be BIG this year with constant NBA 2K12 news from here until launch so be sure to stay up-to-date on all the hot new stuff we’re bringing to you this year.

I remember that, over the course of the spring, I would get the two questions time and time again: 1) how does NBA 2K12 outdo Michael Jordan as cover athlete and 2) how does it follow-up on it’s critical acclaim in terms of gameplay? Both questions have been on everyone’s mind since the success of last year’s game, which saw us sell more than 5 million copies and win 20 “Sports Game of the Year” awards from various publications. And they’re fair, because 2K11 was undoubtedly the best basketball game ever released in the eyes of this (maybe somewhat biased) observer.

Firstly, let me address the cover. We could only follow up “His Airness” one way -by doing it even bigger and better than anything before. So we’ve not only brought back MJ for NBA 2K12, but we’re also inviting a couple of his friends: Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, who will appear on their own covers at launch. What better way to ring in the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode” than with three of the best players to ever lace them up?

Jordan, Magic and Bird (along with Julius “Dr. J” Erving and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) are just five of the 15 NBA legends we’re bringing into the mix for the all-new “NBA’s Greatest Mode.” Who will be the other 10? We’re letting you sounds guys sound off and as usual, the feedback from our community has been amazing. More than 200,000 votes have been cast on Facebook, resulting in the current top 15 (Bryant, James and Wade excluded):

1. Shaquille O’Neal – 12.1%
2. Allen Iverson – 9.4%
3. Wilt Chamberlain – 8.4%
4. Reggie Miller – 7%
5. Hakeem Olajuwon – 6.2%
6. Charles Barkley – 6%
7. Bill Russell – 5.1%
8. Dominique Wilkins – 4%
9. Oscar Robertson – 3.5%
10. Karl Malone – 2.5%
11. John Stockton – 2%
12. Jerry West – 1.6%
13. Scottie Pippen – 1.6%
14. Patrick Ewing – 1.4%
15. Isiah Thomas – 1.2%

I can’t emphasize enough the importance of community involvement over the next two months. We’ve created a skeleton list of the 15 players and rivalries to be featured in NBA’s Greatest. But we’ve been interested in your feedback. Is there a particular game or player you want to relive in NBA 2K12? You’ll finally get the chance to do so come Oct 4.

The next question is how we improve on our unprecedented gameplay. Our momentum from NBA 2K11 has definitely carried over into this year’s launch cycle, and that was very apparent when we showed up to E3. We were a focal point at Sony’s show and with a little help from five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant, our brand was able to gain some huge attention. When the dust had settled at E3, we had picked up eight “Sports Game of the Year” nominations. As you remember, I was at E3 and it became apparent that we’re bigger than ever when we coaxed those awards despite only showing a five minute demo behind closed doors.

So far, the news of our cover and the “NBA’s Greatest” Mode has set off waves in the industry. But OBVIOSULY, the largest part of the game is the 2011-2012 NBA season and players and all the gameplay features that you have come to expect of us. But if last year proved anything, NBA fans care very much about the history of the game, and how it’s influenced the present-day game. We want to pay attention to that and we want people to compare the generations, players and teams and decide once and for all who’s better. I thank Scottie Pippen for that when he debated whether LeBron was better than Michael around the NBA Finals. I saw that blow up Twitter that week. Why not let that debate live on? Having said all that, I felt like it was a good idea to leak a couple screenshots of current players to the loyal readers of our Developer Insights…

Click here for a higher resolution screenshot

And just to give you guys an exclusive heads up: The complete roster for NBA’s Greatest and a greater breakdown on the mode will be revealed next Friday, August 19th. My main man Erick Boenisch, or as you know him SimBaller, will be dropping a Developer Insight on the subject. But the news won’t stop there, as we’ll be releasing new Developer Insights at least once a week (Monday, Wednesday, and/or Friday… at least a dozen total) and news constantly over the next eight weeks leading up to launch. As always, you can expect Insights about Gameplay, My Player, and Online along with other unannounced features. I hope you’re as excited for October 4 as I am. As I said, it’s my favorite time of year.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/14/11 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2
What we have to understand as sim players though is that we are in the minority. Most people dont run plays and decide to jam the turbo button for Lebron. Thats fine. They are entitled to play the game the way they want to play.
However. I think there should be a Simulation lobby where only sim players can go play. 2K would know who is/isnt sim by: A) Percentage of possesions that plays are called/ executed and B) Percentage of points in the paint.
I dont know if this is even possible but to me it would be an ideal solution.
I have no problem with players playing that way, as long as when they go up against a smart player who plays the right way, they are p[unished for not playing basketball, against other scrubs they should have success. but against a player who plays smart basketball they should fail. why not make ranked a true game of skill by putting it on simulation?

# 122 mrclutch @ 08/14/11 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805

...and Barkley is supposed to be 6'4"? They look about what and what.
6' 4"? I doubt Barkley was really the 6'6" he was listed at but he was as tall as all the other guys in the league that were listed at 6'6" at the time he played.
It's a sliding scale I know but he didn't slide it anymore than the next guy.

# 123 qpc123 @ 08/14/11 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805

...and Barkley is supposed to be 6'4"? They look about what and what.
This should shed some light on the issue.

I'd assume that the measurements on the wall are right, but you never can be too sure when it comes to the Po-Po lol.

# 124 VDusen04 @ 08/14/11 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
This should shed some light on the issue.

I'd assume that the measurements on the wall are right, but you never can be too sure when it comes to the Po-Po lol.
Good call, good post. Also, it seems that heights tend to get confusing because some people like to refer to a true height while others use "in shoes" height (which I believe is how the NBA lists their heights). So there becomes a hodge podge of confusion and truths. Also, in certain cases, some people just like to watch a legend grow, feeling as though the shorter they say a person was, the more amazing they can make their exploits sound.

# 125 coolcras7 @ 08/15/11 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Good call, good post. Also, it seems that heights tend to get confusing because some people like to refer to a true height while others use "in shoes" height (which I believe is how the NBA lists their heights). So there becomes a hodge podge of confusion and truths. Also, in certain cases, some people just like to watch a legend grow, feeling as though the shorter they say a person was, the more amazing they can make their exploits sound.
most people in sports and in normal life lie about their height nothing new, KG, Durant are listed under 7 feet and we all know that is a lie.

# 126 FedExPope @ 08/15/11 01:33 AM
Hot DAMN J-Smoove looks so much more like his real counterpart, that hes almost a different person compared to 2K11!

# 127 Control-X @ 08/15/11 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugnificant
feel like i am surrounded by a bunch of women, Omg his armband is the right color!!! omg his leg sleve is the right size for his let! are his shots to long they need to fix the length so its below his knee!
they must really be women

# 128 thetrueBROSKY @ 08/15/11 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachimclutch504
LBJ shoes???? thats not LBJ sneakers, looks more like 2k11 NIKE's also they look more pink that RED
yeah they arent his shoes
plus 2k still seems to have off-colours for the teams again (not actual red, not actual black, not actual white, etc.) on a lot of teams
annoying problem to me

# 129 nba2k23 @ 08/15/11 11:42 AM
Does anyone know how the "Legends mode" is going to play? If they are playing each other then you would have 16 teams and if they are each playing someone different then you would have 30 teams. Neither adds up to 15.

# 130 cavsfan2 @ 08/15/11 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nba2k23
Does anyone know how the "Legends mode" is going to play? If they are playing each other then you would have 16 teams and if they are each playing someone different then you would have 30 teams. Neither adds up to 15.
We'll learn everything about Legends mode on friday

# 131 nba2k23 @ 08/15/11 12:02 PM
Shaq tops the list on 2k's poll for players wanted in the "Greatest Mode". Which Shaq team do you hope 2k adds?

1995 Magic (Shaq and Penny)

or
2000 Lakers (Shaq and Kobe)

# 132 Goffs @ 08/15/11 12:17 PM
Frobe or Penny....i would pick Penny since Shaq at that time was in his prime

# 133 williskb24 @ 08/15/11 01:37 PM
95 magic nahh!! shaq was in his prime with the lakers where he actually did something like win three titles in a row ...it should be 00-01 lakers..or 01-02.. shaq/kobe !!! it would be too awsome to have young afro kobe too..lol

# 134 coolcras7 @ 08/15/11 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachimclutch504
It be killing me Bro, ima huge accessories person " Look good play good" Deion quote lol but if people can get iish down to a tee on PC mod why the people gettin paid (2k) cant get it right...HUUMMMMMM
If people would actually read threads they would know that Mike Wang already commented on James sneakers and to be patient they have something for the sneakerheads

# 135 SouthBeach @ 08/15/11 03:14 PM
From 2K Sports' Twitter

2KSports
Top 5 Legends (#NBA2K12 "Greatest") in voting: Shaq, AI, Wilt, Reggie, & Hakeem. Full list end of week

http://twitter.com/#!/2KSports/statu...81081720786944

Not sure if this means these 5 legends are confirmed, but the tone of the tweet makes it seem that way.
"Full list end of week" sounds like "here are the first 5; we'll announce the rest on Friday".

# 136 KelvieTennison @ 08/15/11 03:18 PM
since they have tha adidas sleeve so d rose ankle brace will bein the game?

# 137 qpc123 @ 08/15/11 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
From 2K Sports' Twitter

2KSports
Top 5 Legends (#NBA2K12 "Greatest") in voting: Shaq, AI, Wilt, Reggie, & Hakeem. Full list end of week

http://twitter.com/#!/2KSports/statu...81081720786944

Not sure if this means these 5 legends are confirmed, but the tone of the tweet makes it seem that way.
"Full list end of week" sounds like "here are the first 5; we'll announce the rest on Friday".
Well we know Hakeem is in from screen shots already. It seems logical to conclude Shaq is also in due to the 2002 Kings being one the teams you get for pre-ordering.

However, I still can't put too much stock into that poll because it came out fairly late in the process. Doesn't seem like they could have changed/added to the "Greatest Mode" with just a couple months before release.

# 138 LaLaKeR24 @ 08/16/11 12:50 AM
they Should Also A Mouth Guards as Most Players Wear them now..

# 139 LaLaKeR24 @ 08/16/11 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaKeR24
ADD MOUTH Guards// sorry
and Kobe's finger band you know small stuff

# 140 KyotoCarl @ 08/16/11 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaKeR24
No that's really unecessary and only takes up resources on the console. Better to focus on what is important from a graphical standpoint.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.