Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

Most of us want Charles Barkley in NBA 2K12. Unfortunately, he wasn't announced as one of NBA 2K12's greatests. On Monday, we should find out why.

Quote:
Reading between the lines, it appeared that Barkley, like the Indiana Pacers' great Reggie Miller (polling No. 5 five on that vote), couldn't come to an agreement with 2K Sports over the use of his likeness, last year or this year. Whatever's going on, either he wants too much money, wants a cover or other promotional considerations 2K can't afford or grant.

Or he objects to second-billing under some other star from a cast of dozens highlighting this game. Or, conversely, one of Barkley's old rivals refuses to appear in a game with him. Or, maybe, he signed a Rumplestiltskenian deal with the makers of Barkley: Shut Up and Jam promising them his firstborn if he appeared in another game.

Source - The Curious Case of Charles Barkley, and NBA 2K12 (Kotaku)

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Control-X @ 08/20/11 02:36 AM
1993 Bulls vs Suns, Jordan vs Barkley in a video game can't happen. It's all about the ego that is Charles Barkley. So turrible.

# 22 eDotd @ 08/20/11 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I know he let us down but still its not going to affect his current cash flow
Lol, it is though. Dude could've got paid to be in a video game. In other words he would've been 250K, 500K, or whatever 2K was willing to pay him, richer. He'd be doing exactly what he's doing at this very moment, whether it's sitting on his ***, gambling, eating, or sleeping.

I don't know the details but I don't understand why you turn this down. You gain nothing from withholding your likeness from the game except for disdain from your fans (well, at least the fans who know the player is at fault and not the developer). Even if you don't play the game you're getting paid to so absolutely nothing, lol. The game is not centered around him so he wouldn't be asked to do any major marketing, his life would be excactly the same.

Seriously, what is the worst that can happen? Your cyberface isn't perfect? Your ratings aren't what you want them to be? You get dunked on by a digital 8 ft dude covered in accessories? You get your ankles broken by Mbah a Moute? You get put in a mix on Youtube?

Come on Chuck!

# 23 23 @ 08/20/11 03:00 AM
Why are people demanding an explanation for this from 2k

# 24 23 @ 08/20/11 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDotd
Lol, it is though. Dude could've got paid to be in a video game, aka he would've been 250K, 500K, or whatever 2K was willing to pay him, to do exactly what he's doing at this very moment, wether it's sitting on his ***, gambling, eating, or sleeping.

I don't know the details but I don't understand why you turn this down. You gain nothing from withholding your likeness from the game except for disdain from your fans (well, at least the fans who know the player is at fault and not the developer). Even if you don't play the game you're getting paid to so absolutely nothing, lol. The game is not centered around him so he wouldn't be asked to do any major marketing, his life would be excactly the same.

Seriously, what is the worst that can happen? Your cyberface isn't perfect? Your ratings aren't what you want them to be? You get dunked on by a digital 8 ft dude covered in accessories? You get your ankles broken by Mbah a Moute? You get put in a mix on Youtube?

Come on Chuck!
Dont get me wrong, I agree with you wholeheartedly.. I only meant his current tv salary, and things like Tmobile

Again, I happen to think he's being who he is, and its just a game...

Id still pay for the DLC to have him in if it generated enough for him to be in because that Suns team deserve to be apart of this game.

SMH and Reggie.. no words at all.

# 25 eDotd @ 08/20/11 03:33 AM
Reggie is just salty because Doris Burke took his sister's cookies.

# 26 23 @ 08/20/11 03:53 AM
Don't get it though ..its just a game.

Even Mj is there. We can't even get the dream team going on cause chuck wants to be defiant in his old age

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

# 27 SouthBeach @ 08/20/11 04:51 AM
In theory, 2K COULD make a "generic" player with all of the attributes that they likely would have assigned to "Charles Barkley" without using his likeness; similar to Roster Player in NBA Live '97/'98 etc...right?

I doubt 2K would go about implementing Charles Barkley that way though.

Just a thought.

# 28 LAKERSFAN89 @ 08/20/11 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
Agreed. I feel the same way about the article. Those team selections are curious and other team ommisions are also curious...ie: 97-98 Lakers sans Van Exel when any of the 2000-03 Lakers championship teams could have been included instead, not lacking for any / lacking for less significant players.
97-98 lakers arent the focus its about john stockton whatever great moment he had against them

# 29 Mos1ted @ 08/20/11 06:48 AM
It's Charles and Reggie's lost. Assuming there's some sort of an NBA season this year, they'll be envious that their TNT mates, Kenny Smith, Chris Webber, and Shaquille O'Neal, are all featured in the game, but they are not.

# 30 Rawdeal28 @ 08/20/11 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exposedaking
screw chuck...hes the one missing out, he could be making more money to buy cupcakes and twinkies......
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDotd
Reggie is just salty because Doris Burke took his sister's cookies.
WTF!!??

# 31 magicman30 @ 08/20/11 09:26 AM
Maybe we as the proud patrons of the greatest basketball game ever NBA 2K11 have to do the unthinkable in order to voice our displeasure in not having Sir Charles in the game .... THREATEN TO NOT BUY THE GAME by FLOODING THEIR FACEBOOK, TWITTER, & 2K FORUMS UNTIL THEY DO SO! see if they & Barkleys camp are able to come up with a compromise then!

# 32 VDusen04 @ 08/20/11 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
In theory, 2K COULD make a "generic" player with all of the attributes that they likely would have assigned to "Charles Barkley" without using his likeness; similar to Roster Player in NBA Live '97/'98 etc...right?

I doubt 2K would go about implementing Charles Barkley that way though.

Just a thought.
I don't know for sure, but I think imitating a player's likeness without their consent has become a little more serious since the 90's. A few years ago I think there was a lawsuit brought about in part by Ed O'Bannon, who felt his likeness was being used by college basketball games without his consent, even though it was a nameless guy who happened to have all his attributes on the '95 UCLA squad. If nothing else, I always figured such a lawsuit scared developers from making any generics even vaguely resemble real players.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/sp...1colleges.html

# 33 23 @ 08/20/11 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman30
Maybe we as the proud patrons of the greatest basketball game ever NBA 2K11 have to do the unthinkable in order to voice our displeasure in not having Sir Charles in the game .... THREATEN TO NOT BUY THE GAME by FLOODING THEIR FACEBOOK, TWITTER, & 2K FORUMS UNTIL THEY DO SO! see if they & Barkleys camp are able to come up with a compromise then!
Yeah NO

That's just silly

This is not 2ks fault

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

# 34 eko718 @ 08/20/11 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKERSFAN89
97-98 lakers arent the focus its about john stockton whatever great moment he had against them
Stockton had great moments against many teams. There was nothing so significant that he did against this 97-98 Laker squad. They didn't have to include the Lakers, but it seems they wanted to get that Shaq, Kobe combo in there. they could have chosen any other team to play against the Jazz. If they did want the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, there are many other alternatives that would have made more sense significance wise, and in regards to having most/all the players for that team. The 2001-2002 Kings are unlockable with pre-orders. One quite significant series was when those Kings took the 2001-2002 Lakers to 7 games in the Western conference finals. Why not give the Kings a dancing partner in the 2001-2002 Lakers, while simultaneously providing one of the great historical Laker teams with Kobe and Shaq at their peak? Most of those players are in the game, so the team would be well fleshed out and no true significant players would be missing. Nick Van Exel is quite significant to the 97-98 Laker. Kobe didn't even start that year.

# 35 J_Posse @ 08/20/11 01:44 PM
Quote:
Agreed. I feel the same way about the article. Those team selections are curious and other team ommisions are also curious...ie: 97-98 Lakers sans Van Exel when any of the 2000-03 Lakers championship teams could have been included instead, not lacking for any / lacking for less significant players.
Van Exel is far from a legend of the NBA and should've been honored to be included. Instead, he probably asked for too much money or disliked the idea of playing a secondary role in the game. It doesn't matter because a version of him is (possibly) still hidden on the disc and could be uncovered by roster editors. We'll see.........

Maybe Van Exel (and Rick Fox) wouldn't come to terms with VC/2K. Anyway, that "Legend Challenge" is for John Stockton, so why would they include one of the Lakers championship teams of the 2000's?

# 36 J_Posse @ 08/20/11 01:52 PM
Quote:
Stockton had great moments against many teams. There was nothing so significant that he did against this 97-98 Laker squad. They didn't have to include the Lakers, but it seems they wanted to get that Shaq, Kobe combo in there. they could have chosen any other team to play against the Jazz. If they did want the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, there are many other alternatives that would have made more sense significance wise, and in regards to having most/all the players for that team. The 2001-2002 Kings are unlockable with pre-orders. One quite significant series was when those Kings took the 2001-2002 Lakers to 7 games in the Western conference finals. Why not give the Kings a dancing partner in the 2001-2002 Lakers, while simultaneously providing one of the great historical Laker teams with Kobe and Shaq at their peak? Most of those players are in the game, so the team would be well fleshed out and no true significant players would be missing. Nick Van Exel is quite significant to the 97-98 Laker. Kobe didn't even start that year.
You seem to be missing the point, but it isn't about the Lakers. They used the 1998 Jazz/Lakers because they already had many of the players agreed to previously, that is the same team from Malone's challenge, and that is the team that lost to Chicago for the second time in the Finals. Giving us the '98 Spurs (young Tim Duncan) and Lakers (young Kobe/prime Shaq) is a bonus going against the Jazz. They easily could've gone with the Rockets (sans Barkley) or the Sonics (already included), but they threw current fans of Duncan and Bryant a bone. Thanks for the love shown to two of the greatest ever, VC.

# 37 gccosph @ 08/20/11 02:48 PM
Won't miss him.

# 38 statum71 @ 08/20/11 03:00 PM
The Chuckster is my guy, Reggie Miller too.

But oh well......we've got plenty more to enjoy.

# 39 NINJAK2 @ 08/20/11 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman30
You want to hurt 2k for what Chuck is doing? That makes no sense..Chuck can care less what people think and he has made that fact known his whole life...

# 40 youvalss @ 08/20/11 05:19 PM
I wish it was the opposite. I wish Barkley was in the game so that I could see/use him as a player, rather than a real-life announcer (I can't stand him off the court, and I change the channel many times he's on). But what can you do?

Life is too short for focusing on one player, as great as he is/was. Moving on...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.