Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

SLAM has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
You know how in most basketball games—well, probably in most sports games in general—there’s a kind of invisible wall surrounding the court/playing field, so if you’re controlling a player and run him out of bounds, he’ll just be stopped by a supernatural force? That doesn’t really exist anymore. If you run a defender into the scorer’s table, just like in real life, he’ll jump up and hop into the crowd, then gather himself and get back into the action. If you run him into the sidelines, he’ll leap over the folks lucky enough to be seated courtside before curbing his momentum and turning around. Cool, no?

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Goffs @ 08/24/11 02:20 PM
more stuff to read on a lazy day! thanks!

# 2 JSensui @ 08/24/11 02:25 PM
Two things make me happy from this article

1. Ball is more tangible, not phasing through things.

2. Post play is getting improvements.

I don't think I heard either of those two before this article. That's really good.

# 3 SouthBeach @ 08/24/11 02:35 PM
Quote:
You know how in most basketball games—well, probably in most sports games in general—there’s a kind of invisible wall surrounding the court/playing field, so if you’re controlling a player and run him out of bounds, he’ll just be stopped by a supernatural force? That doesn’t really exist anymore. If you run a defender into the scorer’s table, just like in real life, he’ll jump up and hop into the crowd, then gather himself and get back into the action. If you run him into the sidelines, he’ll leap over the folks lucky enough to be seated courtside before curbing his momentum and turning around. Cool, no?
I mean, we saw Magic jump the scorer's table in the teaser already, but I didn't know about this one.

Yes, please.

# 4 TheKasmar @ 08/24/11 02:39 PM
Quote:
there’s a kind of invisible wall surrounding the court/playing field, so if you’re controlling a player and run him out of bounds, he’ll just be stopped by a supernatural force? That doesn’t really exist anymore. If you run a defender into the scorer’s table, just like in real life, he’ll jump up and hop into the crowd, then gather himself and get back into the action. If you run him into the sidelines, he’ll leap over the folks lucky enough to be seated courtside before curbing his momentum and turning around. Cool, no?
I'm a little worried about this along with delayed inbound passes. In 2k11 you could get stuck to the mop boy, on the ref, and on the chairs along the sidelines. These animations were way to drawn out. They look cool in trailers but often wind up being annoying gameplay wise.

# 5 SouthBeach @ 08/24/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
I'm a little worried about this along with delayed inbound passes. In 2k11 you could get stuck to the mop boy, on the ref, and on the chairs along the sidelines. These animations were way to drawn out. They look cool in trailers but often wind up being annoying gameplay wise.
Not to be rude, and I may be alone on this one, but realism is what makes 2K, in my opinion, king of basketball games.
I mean, I'm not saying that every 80 games they should have someone spill a drink on the court and have a 30 second delay watching the mop crew clean it up, but I personally don't mind running into things because it keeps the gameplay more lifelike.

Would you rather it go back to having an invisible wall with no interaction with the mop person or ref?

# 6 TheKasmar @ 08/24/11 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
Not to be rude, and I may be alone on this one, but realism is what makes 2K, in my opinion, king of basketball games.
I mean, I'm not saying that every 80 games they should have someone spill a drink on the court and have a 30 second delay watching the mop crew clean it up, but I personally don't mind running into things because it keeps the gameplay more lifelike.

Would you rather it go back to having an invisible wall with no interaction with the mop person or ref?
No, I dont mind the animations happening as long as they are not drawn out and I can gain control back of my player. In 2k11, when you bump into the referee, he sticks to you like glue and impedes your progresss even if your pressing the LS in the opposite direction.

# 7 mrclutch @ 08/24/11 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach

I don't mind the mascot being out there but they overlap the inbouder much more than they should. It is kind of an eye sore.

# 8 qpc123 @ 08/24/11 04:40 PM
If you win, both the team you played with and the team you beat become unlocked for standard Quick Play mode. (You can only play as the legends’ teams in NBA’s Greatest mode, though.) Meaning, once you beat the 1965 Lakers with the 1965 Celtics, you can play as or against either of those two in Quick Play mode, and may pit them against any regular team from 2011.

Does this mean we can longer take the classic teams into association mode through customizing conferences? Will the classic team rosters be editable once unlocked so we can add guys lie Barkley to the 84-85 Sixers? Please don't let this be the case. It would be a huge disappointment.

# 9 SaC_KiNg09 @ 08/24/11 05:37 PM
Here is another preview from another source that was very pleasing to read also.

http://dimemag.com/2011/08/dimes-def...k12-preview/1/

# 10 Da_Czar @ 08/24/11 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
If you win, both the team you played with and the team you beat become unlocked for standard Quick Play mode. (You can only play as the legends’ teams in NBA’s Greatest mode, though.) Meaning, once you beat the 1965 Lakers with the 1965 Celtics, you can play as or against either of those two in Quick Play mode, and may pit them against any regular team from 2011.

Does this mean we can longer take the classic teams into association mode through customizing conferences? Will the classic team rosters be editable once unlocked so we can add guys lie Barkley to the 84-85 Sixers? Please don't let this be the case. It would be a huge disappointment.
I don't think that is what that means. Unless something changed that I don't know about (entirely possible) the teams should be just as editable as last year.

# 11 TalenT @ 08/24/11 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I don't think that is what that means. Unless something changed that I don't know about (entirely possible) the teams should be just as editable as last year.
Yeah, I don't see them taking a step back.

# 12 qpc123 @ 08/24/11 07:58 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
Yeah, I don't see them taking a step back.
I don't either, I think I got a little worried about it as my initial reaction. I spent half the day arguing with Apple customer service on the phone, then I read the article. My first reaction came from an already angry mind, "great and now I can't play 2k12 the way I want" but yeah I can't really see them taking that ability away from us as it has to be part of the reason 2k11 sold 5 million+ copies.

# 13 green94 @ 08/24/11 08:28 PM
Quote:
Does this mean we can longer take the classic teams into association mode
I would be very disappointed if this was the case... can't see why they would take a step back after last year though.

# 14 Da_Czar @ 08/24/11 08:49 PM
Quote:
I don't either, I think I got a little worried about it as my initial reaction. I spent half the day arguing with Apple customer service on the phone, then I read the article. My first reaction came from an already angry mind, "great and now I can't play 2k12 the way I want" but yeah I can't really see them taking that ability away from us as it has to be part of the reason 2k11 sold 5 million+ copies.
Yeah as I think about it I am more sure he might have been mistaken. I even got them to allow us to use the classic teams in the playoff mode.

# 15 kolanji @ 08/24/11 08:59 PM
Quote:
Yeah as I think about it I am more sure he might have been mistaken. I even got them to allow us to use the classic teams in the playoff mode.
seriously................. wow great job

# 16 qpc123 @ 08/24/11 11:02 PM
Quote:
The Kotaku article seemed to indicate that the Classic teams would be available in a few different games modes, so that seems to correlate with what your saying.

# 17 Mike Smoove @ 08/25/11 01:01 AM
no more invisible wall, wanted this for years

# 18 williskb24 @ 08/25/11 01:30 AM
Wait the Kings don’t get a rival squad? I would assume that means the Lakers are featured too?''01-02''

# 19 LiveAllDaWay @ 08/25/11 02:09 AM
Thank U Lord that I sold NBA 2K11. Just 1 question, What about this new ft system they talk about at the beginning has no one shot a free throw yet?

# 20 qpc123 @ 08/25/11 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williskb24
Wait the Kings don’t get a rival squad? I would assume that means the Lakers are featured too?''01-02''
No, the Kings are a team you get with pre-order so they have no built in rival. That's the way it is so there is no need to post this question in multiple threads.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.