Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

CBS has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The improved AI is also felt on defense. Dumping the ball to Patrick Ewing would cause the opposing team to send help from different spots on the floor, but the AI never over-committed, opting to fake the double-team attempt and go back to their man. This realistic defensive tactic made it difficult to know when to pass or continue to post up.

Defensive rotations have also undergone an overhaul. The AI does a better job of disguising where they will bring help, creating more unpredictable defensive sets. The AI also defends passes better, more eager to jump passing lanes or tip a pass to create a fast-break opportunity.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 23 @ 09/01/11 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
It's hard to not hype something but put it in it's proper context. There is something different going on with 2k12 that hearkens back to inside drive on the AI side but then extends past that into it's own space. Think about it. Every preview has had a certain vibe about it. Wether you played the hell out of 2k11 or barely touched it guys are all saying the same thing. It's a difference that becomes more noticeable the more you play it. Very nuanced. Very layered.

There is probably no one outside of 2k that has played the game as much as I have. Still impressive and nothing else in my collection effects me like 2k12 did. It's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. It's deep and it Fun ! I'm talking fist pumping in a room alone fun. LOL.

I am very interested to see what the issues of this game will be becuase what is good is really really good. I think hearing about the playcalling will give you another glimpse into what a special game 2k12 is.

You sir are holding this game up to a standard most have failed at by a long shot

# 102 Rdub33 @ 09/01/11 06:22 PM
I just want to thank czar and jr for giving me lots of good reading material to get me thru my ho hum day at the office. Was just telling my guy how tired I was of reading reviews that are prefaced with....I don't play NBA but.... I'm not a ball fan but..... Finally 2k heads talking 2k! Thanks again gentlemen !

# 103 GSWarriors9 @ 09/01/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Hey guys. I gotta get ready to go to work so i won't be able to answer questions until about 1 am West Coast time. I will check back when I get home and try to answer more. Take care.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Since you used the Warriors i have a few questions.
Did Dorell Wright get an update with his new tatoos and hair(no designs)
Does Stephen Curry have a new sig shot?
Does Monta actually feel explosive as he is in real life using him?
Does David Lee have his chin hair?
Is the Warriors court gold instead of the bright yellow they had in 2k11?
Is playing with a fast team like GSW finally as fun and has advantages on the fastbreak like in real life?
Would appreciate it if you could answer these!

# 104 NINJAK2 @ 09/01/11 06:37 PM
Thanks for posting all this info jr2424. Looking forward to Oct. 4th. Reading that they cut the amount of plays from 1000 to 400 has me a little worried about depths of playbooks. I will have to see how the plays are executed in game. Hope they execute play calls faster.

# 105 blues rocker @ 09/01/11 07:04 PM
thanks jr2424...finally a reviewer who knows the game. you had so much more real info than any of the other previews from newbie 2k players.

# 106 Da_Czar @ 09/01/11 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Thanks for posting all this info jr2424. Looking forward to Oct. 4th. Reading that they cut the amount of plays from 1000 to 400 has me a little worried about depths of playbooks. I will have to see how the plays are executed in game. Hope they execute play calls faster.
I think that playcount might be a low estimate. I didn't find it to be an issue plus some of the play designs are good enough you can run the same set against a user and they can't overplay all the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub33
I just want to thank czar and jr for giving me lots of good reading material to get me thru my ho hum day at the office. Was just telling my guy how tired I was of reading reviews that are prefaced with....I don't play NBA but.... I'm not a ball fan but..... Finally 2k heads talking 2k! Thanks again gentlemen !
That's what were here for fam ! Were just taking turns. It used to be someone else delivering the goods so I know how it is ! Used to hate when my question was the one that got skipped. LOL. When I'm done I'm sure someone else will carry on the OS tradition !

# 107 Jakeness23 @ 09/01/11 07:20 PM
Quote:
LOL just wait for the insight or if another site talks more about the control then I can tell you more. Otherwise the insight will make it all make sense for you. Just know you have more distinct control than you had last year. It is a much better system.

you press Y anytime anywhere to turn your back and your then move into the defender with the LS as you said. The postup is independent of the defense.
Haha thanks man, it was racking my brain and I just couldn't make sense of it. Definitely hoping the insight will explain it all for me.... otherwise, it usually doesn't take long to learn the controls anyways,

# 108 1WEiRDguy @ 09/01/11 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
I asked this specifically to Rob and he said it was not in the game. But what I did notice is there are Way more bounce passes in the game at proper times. Passes into the post felt more realistic because the game seemed like it knew when to use the bounce pass more effectively than in any other NBA 2k game I could remember.

I cant lie...im a bit disappointed. I wonder why they havent just brought some of the control scheme from CH2k8 since it seems they wont be releasing another version. I mean, i want to be able to keep the defense guessing on which way i will make the entry pass...

thanks anyway Jr...

# 109 TheBadazz @ 09/01/11 07:34 PM
I hope we get another 10 teams in 10 days again Czar (5 current and 5 old skool). And Sage drop another classic for the intro.

# 110 Da_Czar @ 09/01/11 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadazz
I hope we get another 10 teams in 10 days again Czar (5 current and 5 old skool). And Sage drop another classic for the intro.
I need you guys to tweet or email ronnie if you want it !!!!

# 111 jfsolo @ 09/01/11 08:28 PM
Quote:
The game knows where it wants to attack and will punish you for your choices. Like I said before, the Showtime perimeter players were backing down against Monta and Steph because they had the size mismatch.

D-Rose was aggressive in that fastbrakes i described before. Rob said last year the Ai would see if it had a numbers advantage on breaks and would attack only in those instances. This year, the Ai will attack if its player has the talent mismatch on the break. I saw that happen twice. It was awesome. Man I want to play some more. Sorry for that last line, but the game is really polished this year and will keep you guessing.

Quote:
It's hard to not hype something but put it in it's proper context. There is something different going on with 2k12 that hearkens back to inside drive on the AI side but then extends past that into it's own space. Think about it. Every preview has had a certain vibe about it. Wether you played the hell out of 2k11 or barely touched it guys are all saying the same thing. It's a difference that becomes more noticeable the more you play it. Very nuanced. Very layered.

There is probably no one outside of 2k that has played the game as much as I have. Still impressive and nothing else in my collection effects me like 2k12 did. It's not perfect but it doesn't have to be. It's deep and it Fun ! I'm talking fist pumping in a room alone fun. LOL.

I am very interested to see what the issues of this game will be becuase what is good is really really good. I think hearing about the playcalling will give you another glimpse into what a special game 2k12 is.
Even after the trailer I was trying to keep my anticipation somewhat under control, but now the hype floodgates are fully open.

# 112 BRxSKINSx @ 09/02/11 01:08 AM
Nice article...I can't wait to see how well this A.I. plays on defense....Hmmmm, crew games may be interesting now...

# 113 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
Well, I'm looking forward to your in-depth preview of the game. And no disrespect to jr2424, I thought his was very informative and not just fluff stuff about the game. And him taking time to answer questions also helps as well.
No disrespect taken. Czar is the truth.

# 114 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWarriors9
Since you used the Warriors i have a few questions.
Did Dorell Wright get an update with his new tatoos and hair(no designs)
Does Stephen Curry have a new sig shot?
Does Monta actually feel explosive as he is in real life using him?
Does David Lee have his chin hair?
Is the Warriors court gold instead of the bright yellow they had in 2k11?
Is playing with a fast team like GSW finally as fun and has advantages on the fastbreak like in real life?
Would appreciate it if you could answer these!
I wish I could answer these questions better but I didn't play with the Warriors much lasr year so i can't really tell how different they would be from last year. But they did run the break well. They filled lanes and looked to dive toward the rim. I didn't see them flare out to the 3-point pine too much on the break though I did hit a corner 3 with Monta on the break. But I used the lead pass to lead him toward the perimeter. Monta did feel explosive.

# 115 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Jr i want to know how powerful was the lead passing? Was it overpowered like in years past where you could actually change a players direction, or does the ball being "loose" mean it can be overthrown and such?

It didn't feel overpowered. My defenders seemed to deflect passes in crowded spaces a little more this year but when it happened to me i never felt like the AI was cheating. It seemed to happen when it was in their line of sight more. I said earlier that it feels like you can bump guys who are cutting to rthe rim more than last year. I really hope they keep that in. It will negate a lot of the pick and roll success.

# 116 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
thanks jr2424...finally a reviewer who knows the game. you had so much more real info than any of the other previews from newbie 2k players.
Glad I could provide some info.

# 117 jr2424 @ 09/02/11 04:21 AM
Quote:
I think that playcount might be a low estimate. I didn't find it to be an issue plus some of the play designs are good enough you can run the same set against a user and they can't overplay all the options.

The play system has multiple branching paths so if the play breaks down your guys who become brain dead. They will try to get to the spots you wanted them to. So if you call a post up for Hakeem and the pass to him gets tipped, he won't just sit there. He will continue to try to gain position without you having to call the play again.

That's what were here for fam ! Were just taking turns. It used to be someone else delivering the goods so I know how it is ! Used to hate when my question was the one that got skipped. LOL. When I'm done I'm sure someone else will carry on the OS tradition !

# 118 Dice @ 09/02/11 07:06 AM
I read that when you play in the legends mode that you play by the rules of that era. So is the 'no zone' rule implemented when you play with the teams from the past?

# 119 Goffs @ 09/02/11 12:21 PM
jr i got one more question...

when players set picks are they more accurate at setting them? i always end up fighting my movement trying to get to the guy setting the pick...

# 120 Josephlaker123 @ 09/02/11 02:57 PM
k im kinda scared is there rookiess

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.