Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

According to Kotaku's Owen Good, NBA 2K12 Legends will not be available online.

Quote:
None of the 34 teams unlockable in "NBA's Greatest" will be available for online multiplayer modes. There had been some confusion, even hope that they would, as earlier reports suggested that once a team is unlocked from "NBA's Greatest" it is available across all modes of play. 2K Sports just confirmed for me all the modes in which these teams can be used, and online multiplayer isn't one of them.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
Again you answered the technology issue yourself. EA's Fifa servers are not the same as 2K's NBA ones.
So you think that including the legends teams would bring so many more players online that the 2k servers couldn't take it? I highly doubt that. And only adding teams to team selection doesn't strain the servers in any way. I don't know mate, it's weird.

# 82 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
But you said it is not difficult to add custom teams to online, so I just assumed you are a game developers and knew what you were talking about.
Again with the sarcasm ... Some members ... But are you a game developer on 2k since you posted the reasons why the teams aren't in? It's all speculation and one is just as good as the other.

But yeh I assumed since hundreds of games around the world add new teams (maps, modes etc. etc.) or even add-ons that are made on the fly each year in their franchises that adding 34 teams to team selection really shouldn't be a problem, esecially since we are able to play the head tto head offline.

# 83 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
So you think that including the legends teams would bring so many more players online that the 2k servers couldn't take it? I highly doubt that. And only adding teams to team selection doesn't strain the servers in any way. I don't know mate, it's weird.
it is not just having 2 teams it is having 2 teams with different rules, presentation and commentary.

# 84 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 11:40 AM
Quote:
it is not just having 2 teams it is having 2 teams with different rules, presentation and commentary.
Maybe so. I wonder how that will work offline, but I imagine either the guest team adopts the home team presentation or all matches will just have the current presentation.

# 85 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips House
This is why...
2k signed Jordan to a 3 year contract this year so I would assume that they are dedicated to continue using legends.

# 86 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker
Maybe so. I wonder how that will work offline, but I imagine either the guest team adopts the home team presentation or all matches will just have the current presentation.
Online and offline are two different things, as we have seen in 2k inability to get it working like offline.

# 87 ForeverVersatile @ 09/18/11 11:56 AM
Look unless your a developer, then you don't know the actual reason to why the classic teams won't be available online. To many people on this site tend to think they know it all, must most of the time are dead wrong. Let's stop crying and let the Dev's give us the reason for this issue.

# 88 The 24th Letter @ 09/18/11 11:59 AM
Oh, I thought this was the quiet loser thread....

# 89 coolcras7 @ 09/18/11 12:04 PM
I don't know what is wrong with 2k sports, I am just a person on the internet and even I have the answer, listen up 2k just go to your computer and type allow classic teams to play online, how difficult was that, and 2k here is the answer for your other online issues just type get new servers, there you go problem solved, I am a genius.

# 90 Knickerbocker @ 09/18/11 12:14 PM
Quote:
I don't know what is wrong with 2k sports, I am just a person on the internet and even I have the answer, listen up 2k just go to your computer and type allow classic teams to play online, how difficult was that, and 2k here is the answer for your other online issues just type get new servers, there you go problem solved, I am a genius.
Or alternate scenario:

I understand you completely 2ksports, I am just a person on the internet but even I understand how hard is to implement classic teams to play online, it's really, really difficult. Oh and 2k, don't even bother with new servers I know just how hard and expensive is to get those. No need to solve your problems. I love you just the way you are, with all of your little imperfections.

# 91 bigball12 @ 09/18/11 12:23 PM
Seriously, the times of people exclusively playing offline are nearly obsolete! How could this not have been the 1st priority when venturing into this aspect of the game? This is their "main" feature this year, and IMO, is 100% inexcusable! This is the 1st time in 4+ year I will not be buying the game on release day.

# 92 Tymes Rhymes @ 09/18/11 12:33 PM
Drama Queens in here really.

# 93 BigBlue @ 09/18/11 12:41 PM
Aw man! This is utterly disappointing. For the second consecutive year, we're not allowed to use classic teams online in unranked games. This makes absolutely zero sense. Sure, I'd love to invite my friends to come over and relive old Ewing vs Jordan teams classic match ups. Except that my buds live hundreds of miles away.

2k, you really dropped the ball on this one!

BigBlue

# 94 threattonature @ 09/18/11 01:10 PM
This news is a huge disappointment. I was really looking forward to playing with the classic teams with my friends in unranked games. I fully understand not having it for the ranked games but for the unranked games I don't get the logic.

# 95 iLLosophy @ 09/18/11 01:21 PM
Dear 2k/Take Two Management -

There's this term going around called "The Cloud." It's this great concept of about putting pretty much everything on the internet. I mean everything. Music, documents, photos, software, even games (multiplayer games at that). It's the hottest term in the industry and even stock investors are buying up Cloud based companies. It's safe to say that sooner or later, everything is going to be based off of internet. Look at Steam, it is an entire library of games I can play through my internet connection, some even multiplayer.

No matter how much you fight it, Online is going to be the wave of the future. Internet connections are going to replace telephone lines, and eventually everyone except farmers are going to be on high speed connections.

So do all your paying customers a favor and get on board. Let's be honest, I'm still going to buy your game because of the hard work you put into other areas (and you're also the only game in town - literally). But even though EA is way behind you all right now for Basketball games, we can all hear their footsteps in the distance. And the one area in which they've always had you beat is devoting resources to their online components. I hope for your sake you get on board - but right now your opponent is on the ground and you all are basically standing over him leaving your groin wide open.

That is all.

# 96 xMoJox @ 09/18/11 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLosophy
Dear 2k/Take Two Management -

There's this term going around called "The Cloud." It's this great concept of about putting pretty much everything on the internet. I mean everything. Music, documents, photos, software, even games (multiplayer games at that). It's the hottest term in the industry and even stock investors are buying up Cloud based companies. It's safe to say that sooner or later, everything is going to be based off of internet. Look at Steam, it is an entire library of games I can play through my internet connection, some even multiplayer.

No matter how much you fight it, Online is going to be the wave of the future. Internet connections are going to replace telephone lines, and eventually everyone except farmers are going to be on high speed connections.

So do all your paying customers a favor and get on board. Let's be honest, I'm still going to buy your game because of the hard work you put into other areas (and you're also the only game in town - literally). But even though EA is way behind you all right now for Basketball games, we can all hear their footsteps in the distance. And the one area in which they've always had you beat is devoting resources to their online components. I hope for your sake you get on board - but right now your opponent is on the ground and you all are basically standing over him leaving your groin wide open.

That is all.
From what I've seen so far from 2K's "Servers", I wouldn't be surprised if the servers didn't work up to par until 2K14!

# 97 Jakeness23 @ 09/18/11 01:39 PM
I play almost exclusively OFFLINE, I like doing Association and My Player, so I don't really care about this. Online is okay, but I'll leave my online playing to Battlefield and COD.

# 98 NotoriousD @ 09/18/11 02:29 PM
This is BULL. They could of made it where we can use them unranked games. No excuse 2K.

Son of a mother duck.

# 99 Gramps91 @ 09/18/11 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
I play almost exclusively OFFLINE, I like doing Association and My Player, so I don't really care about this. Online is okay, but I'll leave my online playing to Battlefield and COD.
Exactly how I feel. cept I don't play online at all. lol

# 100 jfsolo @ 09/18/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
Look unless your a developer, then you don't know the actual reason to why the classic teams won't be available online. To many people on this site tend to think they know it all, must most of the time are dead wrong. Let's stop crying and let the Dev's give us the reason for this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Wont make a difference.

If was explained why the new Cavs court wasnt in the game last year (until the patch) and people acted like the devs were liars. There isnt really a answer they can give to stop people from being ridiculous.

(though I do feel you guys dissapointment, I would like the classic teams online)
24th is correct. For a certain segment of folks here, if they want X in the game, then it is automatically in their minds something that is easy to implement. If it isn't done, then the developers are lazy, dumb, holding back for next year, or biased against those gamers.

Also the whole "Online is the future, Offline is obsolete" argument may be true... in 5 or 10 years, maybe. Even here, on a online message board, online has been crushed by offline in every poll we've ever had. Even when everything is server/cloud based I still believe that most people are going to choose to play by themselves. We have a lot of good guys here, but IMO, a large percentage of people who are drawn to online play are straight up Delta Bravos.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.