Home
MLB 2K12 News Post

Joystiq has posted their MLB 2K12 hands-on preview. Not really anything new, but it's something...

Quote:
Effort has also been made to make MLB 2K12 play more realistically. Not only have the game's physics been completely overhauled, but Detroit Tigers cover athlete Justin Verlander's influence in this year's product extends beyond his mug on the box art. According to 2K Sports, Verlander's pitching knowledge has caused some changes in what's possible when on the mound. For example, pitchers can no longer hang high curve balls and have them bite. In reality, it's impossible to throw a curve ball so high up and have it break dramatically. MLB 2K12 reflects this.

MLB 2K12's new physics model is reflected in the batter's box, too. For one, it's much more difficult to bunt now -- players have to initiate the stance then use the left analog stick to move the bat to the ball. So now it's much more difficult to bunt down the line, let alone make contact, which should put an end to mechanic abuse. It took me two innings before I even connected with a bunt and even then the ball limply fell at the pitcher's feet.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K12 Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 12 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 nemesis04 @ 02/14/12 08:17 PM
All these previews are carbon copies of one another. Either there really is not much to talk about or 2K is really corralling the info to be released.

# 2 rudyjuly2 @ 02/14/12 08:24 PM
I agree about these previews all being very similar. What I also don't like is that each review from this guy to Jon Robinson at ESPN the Gamer always says, "I barely had time to play the game". I think Jon only got a few innings to play a game for a preview. That's nowhere near enough time to get a good feel for the gameplay. It feels like a movie where they don't release it early enough for critics to really get a hold of it.

I don't know how 2K thinks this is marketing well. Ronnie2K had tweeted that the marketing for MLB 2K12 was great. Really? Is this great? I hope they have a lot more in store for us.

# 3 Money99 @ 02/14/12 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree about these previews all being very similar. What I also don't like is that each review from this guy to Jon Robinson at ESPN the Gamer always says, "I barely had time to play the game". I think Jon only got a few innings to play a game for a preview. That's nowhere near enough time to get a good feel for the gameplay. It feels like a movie where they don't release it early enough for critics to really get a hold of it.

I don't know how 2K thinks this is marketing well. Ronnie2K had tweeted that the marketing for MLB 2K12 was great. Really? Is this great? I hope they have a lot more in store for us.
This might be why 2K's marketing stinks. Because they really believe they're doing a good job.
Look at the early previews of NBA2K12? All previews were the exact same. Now we're seeing it again with MLB2K12.
It's very disheartening to see how horrible they are compared to every other sports gaming developer.

# 4 rudyjuly2 @ 02/14/12 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
2K's marketing might be awful, but it's not as bad as that horrible writeup. Worst game preview ever.
I'll have to disagree lol. The one thing that 2K does extremely well is commentary and most agree it's top notch. So what does 2K do? Release demos without commentary. It's just lazy and dumb marketing. Why not showcase your strengths? I'm pretty sure the 2K9 demo had commentary but I don't think they did the last two years.

# 5 Tomba @ 02/14/12 09:59 PM
Let me first say this...

I AM GETTING THE GAME.

BUT.

Two years ago they leaked gameplay. Full game gameplay.

Their marketing STILL relies on the pitch for a millon bucks gimmick. And now even has thrown a model into the mix.

I just really wanted faces redone. because when you pitched from the pitcheds mound Kinsler's face looked horrible. every things innt so bad.

if player faces could be fixed this game would look fairly good.

# 6 Money99 @ 02/15/12 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevaliantx
LOL. The ONLY reason 2K hasn't put out much about this game is NOT because they think they are good at marketing, but because they KNOW their game isn't worth the hype. People generally crow about something they believe in, marketing isn't much different.
I don't believe that's the case.
They didn't exactly hype NBA like they should have either and that's considered the best sports game on the planet.

# 7 DetroitStyle @ 02/15/12 10:45 AM
If 2K is doing anything, it IS marketing. I don't understand the complaints. From having Verlander, Price, and others in their adds, to kate upton...KATE UPTON...I think they're making a big marketing push. They also had brian wilson last year and even this year with NBA. Brian Wilson doing an NBA add?

Not just MLB but all of 2K really makes big marketing pushes.

I haven't seen this with other games including the show.

# 8 Money99 @ 02/15/12 01:12 PM
Quote:
Could be because instead of showing cleavage and some PR guy on a golf course, the SCEA devs actually show gameplay videos and tutorials on how all their new features work.
The kind of marketing that 2K is doing is for people who haven't even thought about buying a baseball game. It's geared towards the guy playing hours of Battlefield.

2K has yet to deliver anything of worth to knowledgeable, hardcore baseball gamers.
I still believe that this core group of people have some weight in persuading others of which game they should buy.
Some of my coworkers have questioned which to get and because I'm an uber-nerd for this stuff, they come to me. So far, I tell them to consider the other game simply because I know almost nothing about 2K12 at this point.

# 9 DetroitStyle @ 02/15/12 03:35 PM
Quote:
You have got to be kidding with this. Two boobs has zip to do with baseball unless you're talking about Bud Selig and Fred Wilpon.
Naw, my point was that 2K was spending money, big $$$ on these ads. Wasn't saying they were good or even successful, but 2K is trying to make a splash and catch attention with their ads.

# 10 rudyjuly2 @ 02/15/12 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitStyle
Naw, my point was that 2K was spending money, big $$$ on these ads. Wasn't saying they were good or even successful, but 2K is trying to make a splash and catch attention with their ads.
But I do question how well they work. They had Brian Wilson last year. They are now doing the $1 million dollar perfect game contest three years in a row. Yet the sales keep falling and are terrible for an exclusive license. They aren't putting the effort where it needs to go. People are clearly turned off on this franchise. They should be showcasing all the improvements well in advance to try to get people to change their mind about avoiding the game. How much does it cost to do a detailed blog? How lazy and half-assed is it to produce a crappy demo with no commentary? Instead they go for the cheap laugh and drool angle and do nothing to promote the actual gameplay. It's not good enough imo.

Edit: Right after I post they tweet their first blog lol: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...50605901018194

# 11 Trevytrev11 @ 02/15/12 05:16 PM
For example, pitchers can no longer hang high curve balls and have them bite. In reality, it's impossible to throw a curve ball so high up and have it break dramatically. MLB 2K12 reflects this.

About time. This has been a concern for years, and IMO, showed the lack of baseball experience this team has consistently had. They wouldn't have needed Verlander to tell them this if they had any baseball experience as it is. It's these types of details that has always kept this series from taking that next step...all of the little things that people who have played the game at any sort of higher level know, that have been left out and neglected.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see it fixed and glad that pitchers can't succeed by pitching in completely unrealistic manners anymore. Nothing worse than a pitcher trying to "paint" the top, outside corner of the strike zone with an offspeed pitch.

# 12 cavsfan2 @ 02/15/12 07:14 PM
Prince Fielder is on weight watchers apparently

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.