Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

The previous NCAA Football game randomly selected a topic of conversation each time you phoned a recruit. In NCAA Football 13, coaches can now bring up any topic they want to when phoning prospects.

Coaches can spend scouting points before a phone call to discover a recruit's interests, or they can simply ask the recruit directly what he wants to talk about during a phone call. Prospects will only mention topics they have an average or better interest in.

However, there is danger to letting recruits discuss topics of their choosing, as if the prospect wants to talk about an area that's a weakness for your school, the phone call will go poorly and it may hurt your chances to sign the player.

To ensure this new feature isn't exploited, recruits will never bring up the same topic more than once during a single phone call.

NCAA Football fans have long been voicing their displeasure in the randomness of recruiting calls, and finally, EA Tiburon has granted the fans' request.

Are you glad the randomness of recruiting phone calls is gone?

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TDenverFan @ 06/22/12 11:17 AM
Glad to see more than WR, QB ATH, and HB will be 5* this year.

I'm worried recruiting will start to get tedious at some point, though.

# 2 slingblade73 @ 06/22/12 11:22 AM
Roulette will be missed, it added a true random aspect to the process. In 11 and 12 I had some bad weeks in recruiting and lost the recruit to other programs. Heisman recruiting difficulty with one topic change really evened the playing field. Having said all that, the new features will be fun to play with and hopefully you can still strike out at times.

"Keep moving forward."

# 3 fcboiler87 @ 06/22/12 11:29 AM
This is a great thing to bring back. The roulette feature was so unrealistic. A recruit isn't going to bring up something he doesn't like or care about. It might be more accurate to say the roulette feature would be better like they have it now; where the recruit can talk about whatever he wants but it's something he's interested in. But I like how they did it this year because you can do that, or you can talk about what you want to because this takes place. The recruit doesn't always have the topic at hand. Sometimes the coach wants to talk and emphasize something the school is good at or question things he wants to know about the recruit. So I think they nailed how it should be this year.

Truthfully though, I wouldn't have minded if they went back to how recruiting was before they instituted the phone call feature. I think the ability to assign coach visits and coach calls was great. Recruiting as it is can become tedious.

Anyway, I like what they did this year. It was a good move.

# 4 moylan1234 @ 06/22/12 11:33 AM
I sort of enjoyed the randomness of the calls as well so i'm glad they've given us the option to still let the recruit dictate the phone call. I'm going to try to stick with that as much as possible.

# 5 chi_hawks @ 06/22/12 11:53 AM
I like the phone thing.

I don't like a 5* fullback though.

# 6 Kaiser Wilhelm @ 06/22/12 12:03 PM
Undecided. The random factor was nice in that it was a good handicap to overpowered recruiting tactics, but it also got rid of some strategy in that choosing how and what to pitch was a given.

The new system will have a wait and see approach before I will say how I feel. My immediate speculation tells me that it may allow for the sam overpowered recruiting tactics if their is no negative consequence for dominating the conversation and talking a recruits ear off, even if two of the 4 four topics are one he likes.

# 7 Lawdawg25 @ 06/22/12 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
I like the phone thing.

This^^^

When do you ever see a 5 star fullback, especially in today's game of mostly wide open offenses? Hopefully it's better than last year where no one except WRs and HBs were 5 star, but I don't wanna start seeing 5 star kickers and such. If there are, that dude better be able to nail 60 yarders with ease. haha

# 8 87Birdman @ 06/22/12 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdawg25
This^^^

When do you ever see a 5 star fullback, especially in today's game of mostly wide open offenses? Hopefully it's better than last year where no one except WRs and HBs were 5 star, but I don't wanna start seeing 5 star kickers and such. If there are, that dude better be able to nail 60 yarders with ease. haha
But with the kicking the way it is 1 Star kickers can hit 60 yarders with ease lol But I agree with you.

# 9 woodjer @ 06/22/12 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
Undecided. The random factor was nice in that it was a good handicap to overpowered recruiting tactics, but it also got rid of some strategy in that choosing how and what to pitch was a given.

The new system will have a wait and see approach before I will say how I feel. My immediate speculation tells me that it may allow for the sam overpowered recruiting tactics if their is no negative consequence for dominating the conversation and talking a recruits ear off, even if two of the 4 four topics are one he likes.
This last part is key. There should be some difference between letting a recruit bring up something and forcing him to talk about it. For example, maybe you get more points for letting him bring up a topic rather than just picking it yourself. Sort of like talking with the guy to show that you're interested in him rather than just giving him a sales pitch.

I too liked the roulette style especially since you had the option to request (or sometimes choose) another topic. I actually thought that, with the roulette system, there should be a penalty for ignoring a topic repeatedly. Maybe there was behind the scenes?

# 10 Lawdawg25 @ 06/22/12 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Birdman
But with the kicking the way it is 1 Star kickers can hit 60 yarders with ease lol But I agree with you.
Haha right? I shoulda said 70 yards with ease.

# 11 woogie98 @ 06/22/12 01:47 PM
This game sounds better and better every day

# 12 CPTryder1536 @ 06/22/12 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks
I like the phone thing.

It's not even a receiving fullback, its a 5 star blocking fullback.

# 13 Lawdawg25 @ 06/22/12 02:16 PM
I hope it's not like Madden where they had like 5 fullbacks projected to go in the first 3 rounds every year. I don't wanna see the top 100 littered with fullbacks.

# 14 fcboiler87 @ 06/22/12 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTryder1536
It's not even a receiving fullback, its a 5 star blocking fullback.
It's clear that we can not win. They finally fix the recruiting system, but they break the recruits. Last year they finally had it pretty good on the amount of high rated recruits, at least as far as stars go. Yes, there should have been some 5 star o-linemen, but for years there had been 5 star fullbacks and kickers and they finally got rid of it because it was realistic. Why get rid of something that was actually correct?

# 15 jfsolo @ 06/22/12 02:33 PM
It's weird to read posts where people are saying that they liked roulette(I liked it too), because it seems like everyone here for the last couple of years was relentlessly complaining about how much they hated it.

The way it is now is really the best way to do it though. Some coaches are probably ultra aggressive in steering the conversation to their strengths, while others soft sell, letting the recruit and his family set the agenda.

It's nice that you get a little bonus if you let the recruit pick the topic, it makes sense that he would feel more positively toward a coach who would let him talk about the things that he is most interested in.

With the tweaks that have been made to recruiting, I don't think that its going to be a cakewalk for the User to just load up on top classes. I saw a little vid on TSO showing phone calls to a couple of different recruits. If a recruit doesn't care about a topic, you're hardly going to get any points for it, even if you've got a high grade in that category.

With playstyle, proximity, and playing time being more important than ever, the ultra dynamic nature of those pitches, will create an additional challenge. The TSO guys have also mentioned that they successfully lobbied for Heisman level recruiting to be even tougher than it was last year, and last year I thought it was pretty solid.

All the complaining that takes place on this board can sap some of one's enthusiasm about the game(I know that I've been bummed about the CPU option still being crappy), but this list has reminded me that I will still have a hell of a lot of fun playing this title.

# 16 mercalnd @ 06/22/12 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
All the complaining that takes place on this board can sap some of one's enthusiasm about the game(I know that I've been bummed about the CPU option still being crappy), but this list has reminded me that I will still have a hell of a lot of fun playing this title.
I agree. I'm finding myself mostly just glancing at threads to get the actual info or read the articles but I hardly read any of the debate going in in threads anymore.

I'm not the first one to say it but finding OS some 10 years ago has been both a blessing and a curse as far as enjoying these games. You get much more info but issues are also pointed out to you that you may not even have noticed if you hadn't read about it here.

As my free time is not what it used to be, I prefer to just enjoy the games for what they are instead of obsessing over every little detail.

This series is one of the few that has given me enjoyment almost every year in spite of its issues and all the tweaks and additions to dynasty mode can only make it better.

# 17 Brandwin @ 06/22/12 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
you don't get credit for fixing something you screwed up in the first place
Sure they do. The guys at NCAA changed it for a reason and I'm sure the reason was, they thought it was better. They listened to everyone and changed it back. They could have done nothing and kept it as it was. As they are listening when it comes to some stuff.

# 18 woodjer @ 06/22/12 04:30 PM
Quote:
It's nice that you get a little bonus if you let the recruit pick the topic, it makes sense that he would feel more positively toward a coach who would let him talk about the things that he is most interested in.
Maybe I've missed it somewhere but have they actually confirmed that there is a bonus for letting the recruit pick the topic? If you're referring to my post, I only mentioned that it would be helpful to have something like that.

Quote:
Completely agree here.

# 19 blkrptnt819 @ 06/22/12 04:44 PM
We see Overreaction Sports is at it again. You guys have already put multiple FBs and Ks in the top 100 and all we have is one 5* blocking FB. He may be an H-Back with high blocking, and above average speed, receiving and carrying. It may be a once in a blue moon prospect. Chill out.

# 20 jhendricks316 @ 06/22/12 04:44 PM
Yes. It was frustrating to go through an hour-long phone call looking for one or two "unknowns".

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.