Home
NHL 13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

The above video showcases everything that is in the demo. Sliders, cameras, options, etc.

The NHL 13 demo is available now for the 360, later this afternoon for PS3. (We'll update this post when it is available.)

Queue it up right here, if you're not near a console. The NHL 13 demo weighs in at 1.33 GB.

The NHL 13 demo features four different modes. Play Now, NHL Moments Live, Hockey Ultimate Team and Free Skate.

In Play Now, you will control either the Los Angeles Kings or the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd period with a random score each time you play.

To learn more about the NHL 13 demo, click here and check out the latest blog.

Post your impressions here!

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 361 bad_philanthropy @ 08/31/12 02:04 PM
I still don't like the feel of the goalies. Others have pointed to how they play in the 2k series, and I agree with that as the gold standard.

That said, the skating is fantastic. I'm still learning the ins and outs of how and when to glide, and starting to unleash the power of gliding and lateral movement. Great mechanic overall.

Superstar/Hardcore is going to need a few slider tweaks, but overall I'm impressed with the baseline here. Going to play the hell out of NHL this year lockout or not.

# 362 18 eighty 5 @ 08/31/12 11:57 PM
Have spent some time with this demo and I love the obvious changes to the skating engine. It looks and feels so much more authentic. The true broadcast camera is also a huge addition. These two additions make the whole EA experience fresh.

A strange thing has happened to my demo download. I played only a few minutes of the Play Now game between the Kings and Devils and since then I cannot play it anymore. When I go to try the fixture is always San Jose vs LA and the game hangs when I try to play.

This has meant that my time with the demo has been split between free skate and the NHL Moments game between LA and Phoenix. It is enough though to make me really look forward to picking up my retail copy. However, the coyotes game draws attention to some of the same old CPU things that have been in EA's game all this generation. The CPU still retains the puck even after getting crunched by two of my guys along the boards and can skate off to advantage. That feeling of boosting is present and I understand this is a do or die playoff game for Phoenix but it feels a little less organic because the CPU can swarm like crazy like every other year and i doesnt feel nor look true to the sport. The goalies still warp too.

Funnily enough, on the old camera angles I don't find the need to learn to be as creative with the new skating engine anywhere near as much as on the true broadcast cam. Probably my play style but it has sold me on committing to playing NHL 13 on the true broadcast view as I feel I get the freshest and most exciting hockey experience we have had in a video game for some time.

Despite any short comings I have, I love what we have with this demo. It is only a demo but I find myself loading it up and enjoying myself with it rather than playing other games and whe I am playing other games I am thinking about playing this demo.

Well done EA on producing something tangibly fresh and very fun. You have captured the authenticity of hockey better than you ever have before.

# 363 MizzouRah @ 09/01/12 10:18 AM
Ok, I've played the demo to death. Time to delete it and prepare for the retail version.

# 364 BlueNGold @ 09/01/12 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Ok, I've played the demo to death. Time to delete it and prepare for the retail version.
Friday night (early release) can't get here soon enough.

Thankfully Madden has been holding me over.

# 365 mkharsh33 @ 09/01/12 11:06 AM
Quote:
Agreed - those 5 minute sample sizes just aren't enough. Looking forward to the actual game.

# 366 18 eighty 5 @ 09/01/12 12:13 PM
Got the play now to work with LA and New Jersey. The variable crowd attendance is a nice touch. The skating engine is so fun and much more life like.

# 367 Flamesfan102 @ 09/01/12 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Friday night (early release) can't get here soon enough.

I agree! This week is gonna go by so slow hahaha. Once Friday comes, I am going to literally turn on my xbox around 5 minutes before it comes out and right as 6pm EST hits, start downloading it right away.
When I downloaded the madden early release (not that big of a football fan though) the download for me took 1 hour and 20 minutes. Hopefully NHL's is quicker.

# 368 Vikes1 @ 09/01/12 02:27 PM
Quote:
I've been playing the heck outta the demo too, Mizz.

And yep, I'm more than ready for the retail game. It'll be nice to get into the sliders and start figuring out where things need to be for the GM mode.

# 369 savoie2006 @ 09/01/12 04:14 PM
I'm tired of the demo as well at this point, but I'm not deleting it until Friday when I get the early release version. I wonder what kind of NHL moments will be on the retail version. I actually enjoy that mode.

# 370 AC @ 09/02/12 01:09 AM
This is a really, really, really, really, really, REALLY good hockey game.

# 371 SlyBelle @ 09/02/12 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
  • Penalties - My biggest problem with the game last year (apart from freezing issues) was the lack of penalties. I just couldn't play an NHL game with hardly any penalties being called. So far in the demo i'm 50/50 on this, i've had runs of upto 4 periods with no penalties (despite me spamming buttons almost looking for them) but i've also had single periods with two being called when I wasn't looking for them. Of course if the slider works properly then great but right now I am concerned.
This is really my only concern with this version and past versions. I can't play a hockey game that doesn't have realistic penalties, regardless of how good the gameplay might be. PP/PK too important in hockey for them not to get it right (just like penalties in the football game they can't get right). I know there are sliders for it, but so did past versions that did very little to increase the frequency. There needs to be on average 6-7 called between the CPU and the human player. I also don't want to have to "play the game in a certain way" to make them happen. That might work for my player, but wouldn't help my CPU linemates and CPU opponent.

I am keeping my fingers crossed this turns out to be a non-issue, but I guess I will find out Friday, which will determine the fate of the game for me....first time the season ticket might be useful for me

# 372 onac22 @ 09/02/12 09:28 AM
So far from what I can tell the penalty's are vastly improved. With the new skating engine the game calls charges for too many strides coming into a hit. The other hitting calls are much better it will only call hitting from behind when the user or cpu hitt comes from behind.

So far I haven't had to many hooks trips or slashes unless I legitimately deserved it for poor play decisions.

Can't wait for Friday this looks like the most well rounded game since 07/08 when skill stick came out.

The addition of the new AI and the NZ forecheck also cut back on penalty's. It seems as long as long as the teams are in position and playing in the system chosen they will take less penalty's.

# 373 SlyBelle @ 09/02/12 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onac22
So far from what I can tell the penalty's are vastly improved. With the new skating engine the game calls charges for too many strides coming into a hit. The other hitting calls are much better it will only call hitting from behind when the user or cpu hitt comes from behind.

So far I haven't had to many hooks trips or slashes unless I legitimately deserved it for poor play decisions.

Can't wait for Friday this looks like the most well rounded game since 07/08 when skill stick came out.

The addition of the new AI and the NZ forecheck also cut back on penalty's. It seems as long as long as the teams are in position and playing in the system chosen they will take less penalty's.
I hope your right, but from my time with the demo, just haven't seen enough penalties to be optimistic yet. I know only a demo, but until I can see the real game in action, gonna have to go off that plus past versions......I so hope that I am wrong

# 374 Vikes1 @ 09/02/12 03:23 PM
True it is just the demo....

I guess I'd say so far I'm also a bit iffy about the number of calls, too.

I'm seeing some penalties, in fact not too bad so far. But the games history the last few years, and yeah...the penalty sliders have been very weak. So I am still a little concerned if this issue will actually be better for '13. And I agree, the PP/PK is too important a part of the game for it not to be represented somewhat close to right.

# 375 SlyBelle @ 09/02/12 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
True it is just the demo....

I guess I'd say so far I'm also a bit iffy about the number of calls, too.

I'm seeing some penalties, in fact not too bad so far. But the games history the last few years, and yeah...the penalty sliders have been very weak. So I am still a little concerned if this issue will actually be better for '13. And I agree, the PP/PK is too important a part of the game for it not to be represented somewhat close to right.
If they would just make the sliders work, then everybody would be satisfied. A person could turn them down low if they prefer to only see minimal penalties and then a person could turn them totally up to see penalties every other play But sadly, the sliders never end up working this way in any EA game so that is why I am a little concerned this is likely an area they didn't address again.

# 376 LighttheLamp @ 09/02/12 08:33 PM
i have to say that i am really impressed with the NHL demo. everything from skating to goal-tending is very impressive. i do wish that the dangle stick would be thrown out, it needs a full revamp. i feel that the dangle stick is what makes the game feel unnatural, it doesn't look realistic in tandem with the new skating engine. when im skating down the ice i want to be able to do more shifty moves. i still dont feel the difference in still handling between the greats and the bums. the good part about this year is that u really dont need the deke stick feature. EA has implemented the 45 degree cut on the left stick which opens up a whole new world for creating space. All in all, i feel nhl will be the sports title of the year. cant wait for friday for the season pass early release! Flyers all the way baby!

# 377 savoie2006 @ 09/02/12 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
If they would just make the sliders work, then everybody would be satisfied. A person could turn them down low if they prefer to only see minimal penalties and then a person could turn them totally up to see penalties every other play But sadly, the sliders never end up working this way in any EA game so that is why I am a little concerned this is likely an area they didn't address again.
I've never understood why developers don't make some of the sliders more effective.

# 378 SlyBelle @ 09/02/12 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I've never understood why developers don't make some of the sliders more effective.
Agree....a 100%. On the surface seems like such an easy thing to do...if they don't work, why even include them in the first place?

# 379 SlyBelle @ 09/02/12 09:42 PM
Has anybody seen the CPU pull their goalie when down by 1 and under a minute to play? I have yet to see this happen. Seems strange it would never happen since a standard tactic in most situations. Maybe a game setting somewhere?

# 380 Gagnon39 @ 09/02/12 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Has anybody seen the CPU pull their goalie when down by 1 and under a minute to play? I have yet to see this happen. Seems strange it would never happen since a standard tactic in most situations. Maybe a game setting somewhere?
Its just because it is the demo. In the real game I'm sure the CPU will.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.