Home
NHL 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

EA SPORTS Season Ticket allows people to play Madden NFL, NHL®, FIFA Soccer®, Tiger Woods PGA Tour®, and NCAA Football® titles before launch.

The $24.99 or 2000 Microsoft® Points / 12 months* subscription includes, access to over $100 worth of PDLC, three day early access to all participating franchises, and 20% off additional PDLC in all participating franchises.

Please post your NHL 13 impressions here. NHL 13 Q&A is here.

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 SlyBelle @ 09/08/12 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
That means it's a tuner for a different part of the game. I had to download two tuner updates, nothing has shown since.
Not sure what you mean....every time I start the game it prompts me with these tuners and I download them......so not sure what other parts of the game they would be for and even if they were, I still download them every time I start.

# 162 SlyBelle @ 09/08/12 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
I get tons of penalties called. If people are having trouble with this be aware there is 3 different penalty sliders. 1 under rules which is just the general penalties slider and the other 2 are under gameplay settings then right bumper to AI. CPU penalties and CPU teammate penalties is located there. I have those 2 maxed and the main penalty to 3 quarters full and I get 2-4 penalties a period on 8 minute periods. Probably too many.
Yep, very aware of all the penalty sliders and have them maxed all the time and still usually see limited penalties. Just curious, what skill level do you play on? I just played one game on superstar/hard core and I did have 9 penalties called, but I had to hit the CPU quite a bit to draw penalties.

# 163 Panicshade @ 09/08/12 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle
Not sure what you mean....every time I start the game it prompts me with these tuners and I download them......so not sure what other parts of the game they would be for and even if they were, I still download them every time I start.
I thought the same as you about having to download the tuners all the time but I checked my settings stuff and as long as it says you are using the "Latest" tuners and not "V1.00" you are fine.

I made sure not to download the tuners after I had restarted to test this out and it still said "Latest" for the tuner setting.

# 164 bwiggy33 @ 09/08/12 07:42 PM
Quote:
Has anyone tried using the Custom AI? It does make a difference in how the Cpu players behave folks.
This is what could make this game great. I just want to try and figure out a way so that each team replicates how they play in real life. If I achieve that I will be satisfied with it even with the other issues I have with the game that I know can't be fixed until 14 or beyond.

I did play an online match for the hell of it today and boy was it brutal. I got called for two penalties that were absolutely laughable. The fact I even got penalties called in the game is laughable, but the situations of them are even more. One of them was goalie interference where PMB was planted outside the crease waiting for a back door pass. Well Halak comes zooming with his glide all the way out to PMB and knocks into him. Sure enough PMB gets called for goalie interference. The other penalty my CPU teammate got called for roughing. The opposing players CPU teammate was going to the front of the net and bumped into my guy and of course I got a penalty. The hands weren't thrown up for a check or anything. I mean the two guys literally just tapped into each other.

Another issue with online is the goalies flopping. Every single back door pass was stopped by a goalie flying across the crease with a desperation save. I don't play online very much anymore so the online problems won't affect me but holy crap if I was a straight up online player I wouldn't be too happy. Online is going to need some serious tuning. It's going to be nothing more than a who can put more back door chances in the net from what I can tell because the goalies stop just about everything.

I haven't been able to really dive into this game yet. Hopefully tomorrow after the Vikes game I'll put a bunch of offline time in to get more of a feel of the game. I'll probably start a fantasy draft Be A GM as well to see what that is like.

# 165 savoie2006 @ 09/08/12 07:47 PM
Yeah, the penalties that are being called (interference especially) are questionable at best. I've seen interference called that would never be called in reality.

# 166 MMan @ 09/08/12 07:49 PM
Anyone know if the Stanley Cup edition will be available in stores or only online? I was going to just head to Target in the AM but not sure if they will carry the special edition.

# 167 bwiggy33 @ 09/08/12 07:55 PM
Quote:
Yeah, the penalties that are being called (interference especially) are questionable at best. I've seen interference called that would never be called in reality.
Honestly I'll be o.k. if that happens in offline just so I get some penalties but it would be great if they fixed it. I mean this was one of the most talked about issues since NHL 12 dropped last year and it's still not fixed. Maybe it's an issue with the physics and overall style of the game.

IMO I think this game has way too much flow and space, which is why we don't see penalties. Most of the time this game is nothing more than up and down hockey that have maybe 4 whistles all period. Most coming from icing, but there is rarely offsides. I'm all for this style of play when you play against a friend or online, but for me I want more stoppages and a NHL feel to the game when I'm playing the CPU. I don't know how they go about making the game this way but I sure wish they could. I don't remember NHL 11 or previous having a "too much flow" issue. It seems that once NHL 12 came the game changed into a too much flow type game which is why the casual hockey fan really really enjoys it and why I haven't quite enjoyed it as much.

Before I start saying stupid stuff though I need to play more games of 13. I've only played 3 offline so far so it's not the biggest sample.

# 168 mkharsh33 @ 09/08/12 07:55 PM
Little frustrating that it's so difficult to get your players in proper defensive position. The left trigger is useless (I understand this now controls backskating?). Even on All-Star / Hardcore I'm getting outshot by nearly 15 per game because I can't get my guys in good position. BUT, the scores aren't reflective of those shots (I use 11 minute periods and try to play a sim-style of hockey). Wish the left trigger allowed us to do what it has in the past...

# 169 kauchy @ 09/08/12 08:04 PM
lower the passing sliders?
lower puck control?
increased fatigue?

are these not affecting the flow?

# 170 ChubbyBanana @ 09/08/12 08:11 PM
I can't seem to find a good middle ground. On rookie I score too easy and have ridiculous 7-4 games, on Pro I get outshot and out faced and lose 5-0

# 171 jyoung @ 09/08/12 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Little frustrating that it's so difficult to get your players in proper defensive position. The left trigger is useless (I understand this now controls backskating?). Wish the left trigger allowed us to do what it has in the past...
This is my biggest issue with the game right now.

There's no more vision control (square your player's body to follow the puck).

Instead, that button is used for the silly backskating feature.

# 172 canucksss @ 09/08/12 08:24 PM
Quote:
Little frustrating that it's so difficult to get your players in proper defensive position. The left trigger is useless (I understand this now controls backskating?). Even on All-Star / Hardcore I'm getting outshot by nearly 15 per game because I can't get my guys in good position. BUT, the scores aren't reflective of those shots (I use 11 minute periods and try to play a sim-style of hockey). Wish the left trigger allowed us to do what it has in the past...
this is just a guess...but have you created your "team AI"? maybe this is the answer on how our AI teammates will play defense???

those guys claiming that they can see penalties coming from both side...kindly post what sliders u made your adjustments...coz the most i have in AS/HC with 10 mins per period is 1-3 in total...3 is soooooo seldomn.

# 173 fatleg3 @ 09/08/12 08:26 PM
The menus in GM connected look ok, but everything is so laggy and slow

# 174 DrPhibes @ 09/08/12 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
This is my biggest issue with the game right now.

There's no more vision control (square your player's body to follow the puck).

Instead, that button is used for the silly backskating feature.
As a guy who primarily plays LD, this is devstating.

How am I able to strafe in front of the net to intercept passes? That is my #1 tactic.

# 175 jyoung @ 09/08/12 09:21 PM
Quote:
How am I able to strafe in front of the net to intercept passes? That is my #1 tactic.
All you can do now is just stand still in place with no buttons held and make whatever minor adjustments you can with the left joystick.

I basically don't even press the left trigger at all anymore. All that button does now is screw up your body positioning and turn your player around where his back will be turned to the puck.

# 176 theaub @ 09/08/12 10:19 PM
Time to sim a season and see what goes down.

Trades etc
I simmed until the New Year when I really planned to jump into the trade market. The CPU offered me a few trades during that time. All of them involved them trading third round picks for some AHL'ers. Some of them (3rd for Brandon Saad/Dylan Olsen etc) were dumb, and others (3rd rounder for Rob Flick) were equivalently dumb. I ended up with a couple virtually free 3rd rounders.

Once I got to January, I pretty much made it my goal to rip off the CPU as much as possible. I do like that the game highlights in green players that the other team is interested and in red their players that they are willing to give away (don't know if it was like that last year I didn't own '12).

Chicago receives: Jordan Schroeder
Vancouver receives: Dan Carcillo

Chicago receives: Jarome Iginla
Calgary receives: Niklas Hjarmalsson

Chicago receives: Jordan Eberle, Darcy Hordichuk
Edmonton receives: Nick Leddy, Mark McNeill, 2013 1st, 2016 1st

Chicago receives: Chris Kreider
New York receives: Michael Frolik, two 3rd rounders

So I think you get the point...the trade engine still isn't perfect. Some of the later 1st round picks (like 2016/2017/2018) have far too much value. Also offering all these trades killed my GM rep. Ah well.

Trades from around the league

MIN Granlund, Graovac - Streit NYI
MON 2nd, Avtsin - Brodeur NJD
OTT E. Nabokov - 2nd, 3rd PHI
FLA Versteeg - 1st, 2nd, Cunningham BOS
OTT Gonchar, Greening - 1st, 1st, Fienhage BUF
FLA Clemmensen - 2nd CAR
FLA Kuba - 1st NYR
WPG Hainsey - 1st, Kozun LAK
LA Weal, Andreoff - Fisher, 3rd, Yip NSH
OTT Neil - 2nd, 3rd LAK

On the plus side, there are a lot more trades around deadline day. However, some of the strategies are confusing me. Florida pretty much went into fire sale mode but they were only a point out of the playoffs on deadline day. However, the other teams that traded good players (Ottawa, Nashville, New Jersey) were all safely out of the playoff race.

It was slightly concerning that some teams did not make any moves. For example, the Maple Leafs were 41-14-7 (ahahaha yeah right) at the trade deadline but didn't make a single move. Burke was probably ego-stroking too much to pick up the phone but that's a different story altogether haha

In conclusion, trade engine has some potential. Can still be exploited but I've seen worse from the NHL series so at least its getting somewhat better.

Stats/Standings

West
1. Calgary
2. San Jose
3. St. Louis
4. Vancouver
5. Minnesota
6. Anaheim
7. Columbus
8. Los Angeles

East
1. Carolina
2. Toronto
3. Pittsburgh
4. New York
5. Buffalo
6. Montreal
7. Tampa Bay
8. Washington

Stanley Cup: Columbus over New York

I will refrain from commenting on the sim engine. You can draw your own conclusions.

Goals
1. Crosby - 43
2. Gagne - 42
3. Ovechkin - 41
4. Gaborik - 40
5. Kovalchuk - 40

Assists
1. Thornton - 61
2. St. Louis - 59
3. Backstrom - 56
4. Parise - 56
5. H. Sedin - 54

T1. Parise - 92
3. Crosby - 87
T4. Kovalchuk - 86
T4. Malkin - 86

Wins
1. Miller - 39
2. Kiprusoff - 36
3. Reimer - 36
4. Ward - 36
5. Niemi - 36

Goals Against
1. Price - 1.95
2. Miller - 2.00
3. Lundqvist - 2.02
4. Kiprusoff - 2.04
5. Rinne - 2.14

Save Percentage
1. Price - .935
2. Miller - .931
3. Lundqvist - .931
4. Kiprusoff - .931
5. Rinne - .929

No goalie played in more than 68 games. Only 4 played in more than 61. Not a fan of the goalie stats in general.

General offseason notes

- You can't go 10% over the cap when signing free agents which blows (especially since all the CPU controlled teams are over the cap once the offseason starts).
- Signed Del Zotto to an offer sheet for $3.165 mil per year. The Rangers...didn't match. I'm not sure why

So yeah...take this for what you want.

# 177 ezio @ 09/08/12 10:28 PM
Quote:
I agree. I haven't liked playing defense the last few years and this year is no different.

# 178 ezio @ 09/08/12 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
The menus in GM connected look ok, but everything is so laggy and slow
I think the menus and loading etc. is slow throughout the game to be honest.

# 179 kelvinmak @ 09/08/12 10:43 PM
Disappointingly, the season schedule (post year 1) in Be a GM mode is still in that X-home-games-then-Y-away-games pattern.

# 180 mike24forever @ 09/09/12 12:02 AM
Again, I'm not have the issues with penalties that mot of you seem to be having. I'm in the second period against the Blue Jackets and I have 3 penalties and they have 2. I'm currently on a 5 on 3.

I really think that the slider changes that I mentioned earlier really have an effect on this.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.