Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

While the NBA Live 13 trailer shows the game in action, according to Kotaku, it might be the last we see of it, for quite some time.

Quote:
Questioned by Kotaku, an EA Sports spokesman refused to discuss release format, time frame, or the game's anticipated feature set. Asked why this series, which has been off shelves for three years, couldn't hit an Oct. 2 release date with a 70-man team in place for a year, he said:

"We're not going to get into that level of detail with this announcement. In early April, you saw where we were with this project and how ambitious it was, that they had to take down the code of Elite and rebuild it. Its easy to surmise that also took time, in the development cycle, to get the whole thing up to speed. It was an ambitious project and it is a challenging game to create."

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 241 andrewdski @ 09/15/12 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Some history from a pretty well-connected source:

When the Elite team went in to start on Elite 11, they scrapped all of the code from Live 10. It's basically gone. Now, when they started work on Live 13, the team went in to find what of Elite they could use as a base and it was basically nothing. They may have thought they could do this in a year but really they need at least 2, and they're finding that out now.
This certainly sound plausible, but there's one thing I don't get. When they realized they had to throw away all of Elite, why didn't they at least go back and look at Live 10 and see whether they could salvage anything from that? Surely they had that code backed up somewhere, they can't have literally wiped every tape and disc, can they?

It seems like they just decided to start over (again). How many times does EA have to demonstrate to themselves that writing a AAA sports title on this generation of platforms more or less from scratch is more than a year's work? I don't think anyone has done that. It was hard to do on PS2/XBox. I doubt anyone but EA would have the nerve to try it at this point!

I hope they've now learned not to attempt it again!

# 242 Boilerbuzz @ 09/15/12 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I think things have turned and companies don't see people love choices. Sony has a name for baseball which wasn't a big name once but its now recognizable
No, they see it. The problem is that they need to be able to afford to give choice. If 5 million people want choice, and 5 million people choose the same title, then the choices go away. You don't get "choice" for free. That's what happened with NHL 2K. People continued to "choose" EA title - which most people thought was better - by IIRC a 5:1 ratio, but no one considered the improvements in 2K and it died. EA's may have been better, but by THAT much?

Quote:
What these companies didn't do that two Kay did was keep plugging at it because that's the difference I see.
2K kept at it because the trajectory of the sales warranted AND the fact that the sales were enough to sustain a team. I bet money that if after 2K7, they were still only barely selling a million units, we would not have the game today.

Quote:
As it stands now sony couldve made a nice hoops game while people were clamouring for an alternative hoops title to sell
I don't understand this though. It wasn't as if this was Sony's first basketball game. And even though I liked it in the PS1 days and thought it was the prettiest game down the line, it still was quite broken in gameplay. When Live 06 released, it was BY FAR the prettiest. Five years later, the visuals either stagnated or took a step back and the gameplay didn't wow enough people. So, just assuming that a game that looked good would actually be good isn't a good idea. Not saying your wrong - just saying I wouldn't assume that it would be a competitive product now. You can I can debate this further in PM if you wish. :P

Quote:
You can't just say on we aren't number one so we,ll just go home.
Absolutely. I didn't say you had to be number 1. I said you had to have enough sales to continue to operate. You can NOT continue to operate at a lost. ESPECIALLY during the recession - people are forgetting that recession at the time.

Quote:
If that's the case tons of companies would be dead right now
Uh... There MANY dead companies man. Either folded into other companies or totally gone now. Should I start a list? Acclaim, Midway, Eidos, Infogam, Westwood, etc... It's really sad. The industry is actually hurting more right now than people think.

# 243 Boilerbuzz @ 09/15/12 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdski
It seems like they just decided to start over (again). How many times does EA have to demonstrate to themselves that writing a AAA sports title on this generation of platforms more or less from scratch is more than a year's work? I don't think anyone has done that. It was hard to do on PS2/XBox. I doubt anyone but EA would have the nerve to try it at this point!
I think that's why they chose the Elite engine. It's basically the NHL/FIFA engine right? I would bet that they assumed that all they had to do was "replace hockey/soccer with basketball" and they were done. That's just a guess though.

# 244 Caveman24 @ 09/15/12 05:07 PM
I didnt like the trailer at all I hope EA bounce back next year or maybe release a disk version of this game later on like after Christmas or something having as a DL game is not looking good for them

# 245 mrprice33 @ 09/15/12 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdski
This certainly sound plausible, but there's one thing I don't get. When they realized they had to throw away all of Elite, why didn't they at least go back and look at Live 10 and see whether they could salvage anything from that? Surely they had that code backed up somewhere, they can't have literally wiped every tape and disc, can they?

I hope they've now learned not to attempt it again!
As far as I know the Live 10 code was not available. Don't know specifics as to why.

# 246 King_B_Mack @ 09/15/12 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
You might want to think it was big enough, but your wrong. If your game isn't going to sell at least a million units, you won't come close to breaking even. And now that cost has risen. Considering the PS3 market is barely over 2 million back then, how was Sony going to cut into the 2K/Live slice enough to survive?

2k11 saw/helped the market grow to the 5-6 million range you see today. But we don't know if that is sustainable yet. We will see. Still the PS3 portion of it split three ways isn't going to cut it for anyone. Hindsight is 20/20.

Now, the price of producing games has exploded. Check out the EA and 2K financial reports. Any game company. Making AAA console titles has gotten much more expensive at a rate faster than the market growth.

As for NCAA, Choops was considered one of the best basketball titles of all time. So, obviously, they treated that market well. If you are talking about the decision to not make a game, it's well documented that they were forced into that decision by the CLC. EA lost money on theirs, so to criticize them for being out of it is unfair.

The bottomline is this, you can't complain because a company bows out of a market that loses money for them. Find out more about the finances instead of assuming.
Like I said, Sony already was the second company in line, you're talking about cutting into 2K and EA's slice, they let 2K take they're slice cause they weren't putting the proper resources into the game to improve it. Sony has more money to throw at their game than 2K does, they didn't stick to what they were doing because they put a dollar cap on it and pulled out. 2K probably had they're years or dollar cap as well that they were going to decide they'd stuck with it long enough, but they put in the resources to the basketball team to get the best talent available to put together a game that people will care about.

With college hoops, it's most certainly fair to criticize them because they didn't do their part to grow the college basketball market. The promotion of the titles was piss poor at best and they set the things up to fail by having November release dates for them when November is when the biggest and best games come out every year already to kick the game in the face repeatedly. Nevermind the fact that the games were dropping mere weeks AFTER the NBA games where most casual gamers can feel comfortable just buying only one basketball game and taking the money that could/would have been spent on a college game and spending it on the Halos and Gears of Wars of the world.

# 247 VUUAASSHHH! @ 09/16/12 12:03 AM
I farted when I watched this trailer? My brother did something worse than farting though.

# 248 BOSsTOwN @ 09/16/12 01:28 AM

# 249 Boilerbuzz @ 09/16/12 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Like I said, Sony already was the second company in line, you're talking about cutting into 2K and EA's slice, they let 2K take they're slice cause they weren't putting the proper resources into the game to improve it. Sony has more money to throw at their game than 2K does, they didn't stick to what they were doing because they put a dollar cap on it and pulled out.
Sony's money comes from quite a few source. One being 3rd party. So why would they continue to throw money into a genre they were already profiting from for free? That makes no sense.

Quote:
2K probably had they're years or dollar cap as well that they were going to decide they'd stuck with it long enough, but they put in the resources to the basketball team to get the best talent available to put together a game that people will care about.
The key members of the 2K team have been in place for a long time. There was very little additional investment in talent for them. No one is setting a spending limit. At the end of the day, they just need to make ENOUGH to continue to make the game plus some extra. It's basic business.

Quote:
With college hoops, it's most certainly fair to criticize them because they didn't do their part to grow the college basketball market.
Come on man, that's a silly statement. "didn't do their part to grow the ... market"? You make it sound like these companies just drag their feet. Like all the answers to every problem has already been solved in a 5th grade class. If you know the secret to growing the college hoops market - do share. Because I'm 100% SURE every company has attempted to do just this and has had limited success. If it was easy, it would have already been done. So, pray tell, what exactly what their part?

Quote:
The promotion of the titles was piss poor at best and they set the things up to fail by having November release dates for them when November is when the biggest and best games come out every year already to kick the game in the face repeatedly.
You REALLY think it's that simple? First, the release date isn't completely at the discretion of the publisher/developer. Talk to the licensor. Marketing is a field studied by people who know what their doing. Much more than you and I. But even the casual observer knows you get to a point of diminishing returns - you're spending more money than you gain back in sales. Not to be condescending, but I think EA and Take Two know how to sell a game. Just because YOU think there are 10 million people out there waiting to buy a college basketball game doesn't mean that it's true.

Quote:
Nevermind the fact that the games were dropping mere weeks AFTER the NBA games where most casual gamers can feel comfortable just buying only one basketball game and taking the money that could/would have been spent on a college game and spending it on the Halos and Gears of Wars of the world.
And there you go! You hit on a HUGE point. The main limiter to the college market is the fact that many casual gamers need or want only 1 basketball game. And given the choice, the majority take the pro game. The audience is less segmented (32 teams versus >100), starts earlier (almost a month not including pre-season), is considered the "higher level" game, has more name recognition of the stars, an doesn't have the legal limitations of amateurism. So tell me again how the college basketball market is supposed to be on a comparable level to the NBA market.

Seriously man, I'm not trying to burst your bubble. I'm just making you aware of noting the reality of the situation. You're asking these companies that you would not make as a businessman and that's not right. I know you want to believe there are millions of folks out there dying for a reason to buy a college basketball game. If they were there, we would not be having this particular discussion.

# 250 coolcras7 @ 09/16/12 04:41 AM
What is funny is all the praise the trailer is getting on you tube.

# 251 youvalss @ 09/16/12 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
You're right, lots of positive comments. Maybe EA should put the trailer on a Blu-Ray and sell it for $20.

"It's the most complete trailer ever seen in a basketball simulation".

# 252 TUSS11 @ 09/16/12 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
quote of the year, that live trailer was worse than their old trailers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1f8EZE5CcY

the movements and animations looked better in live 09!
Those aren't in-game clips, they're cut-scenes you'll never find in the game.

# 253 coolcras7 @ 09/16/12 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
Those aren't in-game clips, they're cut-scenes you'll never find in the game.
Exactly there was almost zero player interaction in any of those clips.

# 254 TUSS11 @ 09/16/12 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
You must have tunnel-vision.

Quote:
Top Comments

2k13 owns it

ballinfolife4 4 hours ago 9

It s not really bad... it s just that 2k13 is so good!

peroulakis21 3 hours ago 3

see all All Comments (1,536)

Sign In or Sign Up now to post a comment! dang this **** is bogus the only ok feature is the body n they look deformed. this better be for 20$ not 60 no one should get this if its 60 2k13s the only game worthing 60

zheyuantang 5 minutes ago

"Live is coming back after taking 2 years off, they're gonna stomp the **** outta 2k13, stupid 2k fanboys." Yeah. Im the stupid one.

IGotAPagina 6 minutes ago

looks like every player is made of rubber and some of them look like they are on roids..

jamal howard 12 minutes ago

This **** game will go down in videogame history for all the wrong reasons

EliteXGamer28 13 minutes ago

You must not be watching the same trailer I am

Dwayne Bell in reply to BadBoyMark1 (Show the comment) 13 minutes ago

they need to just stop it, stick to madden and nhl EA, basketball is not cutting it

9GodsGift 16 minutes ago

2k till I die but im sorry the presentation for live 13 look like the works , but everything else is bull**** !

Kelvin Wallace 17 minutes ago

Why the hell is Paul Pierce so damn skinny ?!!?

Kelvin Wallace 19 minutes ago

Keep Calm and Stop Kidding EA!

SteppinUpJr 55 minutes ago

this is a fake video???

aguicuecalo 59 minutes ago

# 255 youvalss @ 09/16/12 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
the movements and animations looked better in live 09!
If Live 09 didn't have that stickiness or whatever you want to call it (which just ruined the game), it could have been a good one. But anyway, to me, Live 09 looks so much better than what we've seen from 13. The graphics, animations, signatures...

I think the Live team should have forgotten about signatures until they can get the base right. Signature animations are meaningless if the players don't move like human beings.

# 256 Spaced Ace @ 09/16/12 07:24 PM
LOL, EA. All the money and resources you guys have. Two and a half years to put together a decent basketball game, and you guys can't get it done. They should just stick a fork in basketball and move on. What a joke.

# 257 Spaced Ace @ 09/16/12 07:26 PM
This game looks horrible to boot...

# 258 dcf360 @ 09/16/12 09:13 PM
Wack! !!pure trash

# 259 Pokes404 @ 09/16/12 11:16 PM
Grew up with NBA Live, moved on to 2K in 2008, but am rooting for this franchise to make a return. This doesn't do much to raise my hopes though. If EA thinks this is even going to make a dent against 2K13, they are sadly mistaken.

I can admire the route they're trying to go, but they seem to be having massive difficulties in getting anything to come together.

Keep plugging away though guys. At the very least, the threat that EA might actually get their act together and produce a good b-ball game keeps the guys at 2K motivated. I do not want to see a monopoly in the b-ball market.

# 260 CaptainCharisma @ 09/17/12 02:49 AM
the game doesn't look as bad as everyone is making it seem, yea there's issues but, that doesn't mean its going to be a bad game. Looks fine to me so far an definitely a step in the right direction. I'm a Live/2K fan and don't get me wrong, 2k is an awesome game been playing since 2k7 but the fun factor last longer on live. With 2k its hard to have fun with it wen da CPU be doing some impossible stuff. Check out this breakdown video for live 13.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHAvENKf1U&feature=plcp

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.