Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Thanks to Flaxseed Oil and a visit to his local Best Buy, we have a few MLB 2K13 player ratings, videos and impressions.
  • Graphics and menus are exactly the same as MLB 2K12.
  • A lot of commentary sounded exactly the same, but there are a few more lines, as noted in a video commenting on Bryce Harper's rookie campaign.
  • The ball seemed to be bouncing slightly differently. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it seemed lighter and bouncier.
  • Running looked a little different, as it seems like they did improve that animation.
  • I played an all-star game and didn't notice any new signature styles.
  • The colors do seem fixed with the uniforms, but Citi Field's colors seemed way off for the outfield wall. Almost looked powder blue.
  • Pitch speed seemed really, really slow...but that can be fixed.
  • The crowd did look a little better, but that might just be because of the TV I was playing on.
  • The pitching motions looked smoothed out...no more frame stuttering from what i could tell.
  • Astros in the AL.
  • I didnt see any inside the park home runs or glitches, but the outfield felt exactly the same. However, I do think they modified the fielding camera some...it felt more zoomed in on the main fielder than before and got closer as they approached the ball.

Some MLB 2K13 Player Ratings
  • Mesa - Yankees (AAA)(64)
  • Cano - Yankees (93)
  • Jeter - Yankees (88)
  • Granderson - Yankees (87)
  • Teixeira - Yankees (84)
  • Ichiro - Yankees (82)
  • Gardener - Yankees (82)
  • Rivera - Yankees (92)
  • Sabathia - Yankees (91)
  • Kuroda - Yankees (85)
  • Pettitte - Yankees (82)
  • Hughes - Yankees (81)
  • Logan - Yankees (80)
  • Robertson - Yankees (80)
  • Nova - Yankees (78)
  • Chamberlain - Yankees (77)
  • Rapada - Yankees (76)
  • Phelps - Yankees (76)
  • Aardsma - Yankees (62)
  • Rauch - Free Agent (81)
  • Braden - Free Agent (80)
  • Farnsworth - Free Agent (79)
  • Stauffer - Free Agent (79)
  • Wilson - Free Agent (79)
  • Lyon - Free Agent (78)
  • Zimmerman - Nationals (88)
  • Desmond - Nationals (86)
  • Harper - Nationals (85)
  • LaRoche - Nationals (84)
  • Werth - Nationals (83)
  • Morse - Nationals (83)
  • Stanton - Marlins (94)
  • Ruggiano - Marlins (85)
  • Pierre - Marlins (81)
  • Polanco - Marlins (74)
  • Dobbs - Marlins (73)
  • Morrison - Marlins (73)
  • Swisher - Indians (85)
  • Cabrera - Indians (83)
  • Brantley - Indians (80)
  • Santana - Indians (80)
  • Kipnis - Indians (78)
  • Aviles - Indians (76)
  • Posey - Giants (97)
  • Pence - Giants (86)
  • Pagan - Giants (86)
  • Scutaro - Giants (85)
  • Sandoval - Giants (83)
  • Belt - Giants (77)
  • Kemp - Dodgers (96)
  • Gonzalez - Dodgers (88)
  • Ethier - Dodgers (84)
  • Ramirez - Dodgers (83)
  • Crawford - Dodgers (80)
  • Hairston Jr. - Dodgers (77)
  • Kershaw - Dodgers (94)
  • Jansen - Dodgers (88)
  • Greinke - Dodgers (86)
  • Belisario - Dodgers (85)
  • Billingsley - Dodgers (83)
  • Beckett - Dodgers (82)
  • Upton - Diamondbacks (88)
  • Hill - Diamondbacks (87)
  • Goldschmidt - Diamondbacks (85)
  • Kubel - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Parra - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Montero - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Castro - Cubs (86)
  • Rizzo - Cubs (85)
  • Soriano - Cubs (81)
  • DeJesus - Cubs (79)
  • Barney - Cubs (77)
  • Schierholtz - Cubs (73)
  • Cespedes - A's (88)
  • Reddick - A's (86)
  • Crisp - A's (83)
  • Donaldson - A's (80)
  • Moss - A's (80)
  • Young - A's (79)
  • Altuve - Astros (84)
  • Lowrie - Astros (77)
  • Maxwell - Astros (75)
  • Wallace - Astros (75)
  • Dominguez - Astros (73)
  • Martinez - - Astros (71)
  • Trout - Angels (99)
  • Hamilton - Angels (95)
  • Pujols - Angels (93)
  • Aybar - Angels (86)
  • Trumbo - Angels (86)
  • Kendrick - Angels (83)
  • Nathan - Rangers (87)
  • Ogando - Rangers (85)
  • Darvish - Rangers (84)
  • Harrison - Rangers (84)
  • Ross - Rangers (83)
  • Soria - Rangers (80)
  • Price - Rays (98)
  • Rodney - Rays (94)
  • Hellickson - Rays (84)
  • McGee - Rays (82)
  • Peralta - Rays (81)
  • Niemann - Rays (79)
  • Chapman - Reds (92)
  • Cueto - Reds (91)
  • Latos - Reds (86)
  • Marshall - Reds (85)
  • Broxton - Reds (83)
  • Arroyo - Reds (83)
  • Dickey - Blue Jays (92)
  • Janssen - Blue Jays (85)
  • Morrow - Blue Jays (85)
  • Buehrle - Blue Jays (84)
  • Johnson - Blue Jays (83)
  • Oliver - Blue Jays (82)

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HadlerT @ 02/27/13 04:06 PM
Trout a 99? What the hell.

# 2 SynShadowzz @ 02/27/13 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadlerT
Trout a 99? What the hell.

Seeing as he is the best player in the game, I'm not sure what's surprising you here...

# 3 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/27/13 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics6
It looks exactly the same as 2k12 to me.
To be honest, it is very similar...but the colors have been fixed, which is what I like the most. HR Trots also.

Most animations are the same though.

I'd say MLB 2K13 is what MLB 2K12 should have been. However it is a fresh coat of paint, for sure with some little tiny improvements/fixes.

If you didnt like 2k12, dont get 2k13. If you liked 2k12, 2k13 is a little better. If you liked 2k10 or 2k11 and didnt get 2k12, then 2k13 is a good pickup.

# 4 RedLine @ 02/27/13 06:14 PM
I played one inning last night at the BB in San Diego.

It's clear that they spend some dev time on the game this year, maybe not enough....

For example, I played at Petco Park to see if they made the changes new this year. And to my surprise they moved in the fences and added the new seating area in right field (at least what they think it will look like). The bullpen was also move from the right foul area to behind the home bullpen. However, no Tony Gywnn statue in the park-in-the-park.

I noticed some new player pics for Padres players like Quentin (was Sox), Volquez (Reds) and several others. But then there were a few that did not get changed (Marquis). On the Dodgers, I even noticed that Adrian Gonzalez and Crawford still had their Boston pictures

There was also new ratings and commentary, I heard them talking about Chase Headley and his breakout year during the pre-game intro, so that was nice.

I didn't notice any changes to gameplay in my short session, playing and default Pro and doing some pitching, fielding, and hitting. It could have been the overworked controller but the throw meter seemed more sensistive and I overthrew first base and and the cutoff man a few times.

Not sure about the baserunning, I didn't look that close but it may have been smoothed out a little.

Unfortunatley, I did notice a graphical glitch from post-patch 2k12, that that was when a player crossed home plate they would sometimes do a "spin move' in place on one foot before going back to the dugout. Disappointing to see that not fixed. Hopefully there will be a day one patch to fix things like this.

Looked at the uniforms and ballparks and they all seemed the same. Also, the new spring training hats were not on the Padres and a few other teams I looked at. However, the Astros did have the new hats and unis.

Otherwise I didn't see any new game modes or options in the menus.

Overall it does appear to be a slightly upgraded game with new rosters, some new player pics, some upgraded ballparks and some old bugs still remain.

So hopefully you can try it out at your local BB and decide for yourself if it's worth buying.

Enjoy!

# 5 tvman @ 02/27/13 06:23 PM
I see they slowed down the catcher throwing the ball back to the pitcher, problem is it seems a little to slow now.

# 6 Picci @ 02/27/13 06:39 PM
Haven't purchased 2k baseball in 3 years. I heard that 2k12 CPU failed to PH properly for pitchers late in the game. Being a NL player this would drive me nuts. If anyone gets the chance to verify that this issue has been taken care of, I would appreciate it. Thanks

# 7 shogunofharlem3 @ 02/27/13 06:43 PM
Ya, that did drive me nuts too. I would just change sides when I would see that they wouldn't manage a pinch hit properly and make the best move for them. I'm not an achievement guy so I don't care about them being cancelled for switching teams. Was a pain though.

Hopefully fixed.

I want to know about cut off alignments. Those drive me bananas! Center fielder throws to first base on the cut off home....that is correct...................EXCEPT MY FIRST BASEMAN NEVER LINED UP HE IS STILL STANDING ON FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the throw goes from center to first to home...ugh

I want to be able to cut a ball off in flight with a button.

# 8 dubcity @ 02/27/13 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
Haven't purchased 2k baseball in 3 years. I heard that 2k12 CPU failed to PH properly for pitchers late in the game. Being a NL player this would drive me nuts. If anyone gets the chance to verify that this issue has been taken care of, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Man, I forgot about this. I'd love to hear if it has been addressed as well. I literally stopped playing NL games because of it. And having to switch teams and adjust the CPU's lineup in mid-game is not something I'll willing to put up with.

# 9 tvman @ 02/27/13 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Ya, that did drive me nuts too. I would just change sides when I would see that they wouldn't manage a pinch hit properly and make the best move for them. I'm not an achievement guy so I don't care about them being cancelled for switching teams. Was a pain though.

Hopefully fixed.

I want to know about cut off alignments. Those drive me bananas! Center fielder throws to first base on the cut off home....that is correct...................EXCEPT MY FIRST BASEMAN NEVER LINED UP HE IS STILL STANDING ON FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the throw goes from center to first to home...ugh

I want to be able to cut a ball off in flight with a button.
The only game I know of where you can cut the ball off in flight is PYS.

# 10 LC26 @ 02/27/13 08:19 PM
Ichiro Uniform Mariners in the jumbotron ???? :0

# 11 mkharsh33 @ 02/27/13 10:45 PM
Any word on check swings? Also, how about infield fly rule? (and not the kind from last year's playoffs)

I know myself - I will trade in a few games and purchase this because I'm a sucker for sports games. But 2K, I fear, will leave me disappointed...

# 12 bkrich83 @ 02/28/13 01:17 AM
I think the game looks a little bit better in motion than in the past. Nuanced things but it seems to be, to me at least a little smoother for lack of better term.

Seriously though, those player models are U-G-L-Y. Fielding animations and player models need to be addressed at some point for future versions, imo.

Still love the commentary

# 13 bkrich83 @ 02/28/13 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
The only game I know of where you can cut the ball off in flight is PYS.
Used to be able to do it in 2k. I think it disappeared starting with 2k11, but not totally sure.

# 14 GruffyMcGuiness @ 02/28/13 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
Any word on check swings? Also, how about infield fly rule? (and not the kind from last year's playoffs)

# 15 shogunofharlem3 @ 02/28/13 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Used to be able to do it in 2k. I think it disappeared starting with 2k11, but not totally sure.
Ya, I recall that 2k9 had it (if only outfielders caught the ball 2k9 would have been really good in my opinion). Don't remember is 2k10 did.

If 2k13 fixed the cut off men that may be just about enough for me to warrant a purchase. But the games I'm getting in 2k12 with the new roster set and attribute edit have been awesome.

# 16 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/28/13 09:36 AM
I'm going to go out there at lunch again today to try and snap some video/images.

# 17 Money99 @ 02/28/13 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
Ya, I recall that 2k9 had it (if only outfielders caught the ball 2k9 would have been really good in my opinion). Don't remember is 2k10 did.

If 2k13 fixed the cut off men that may be just about enough for me to warrant a purchase. But the games I'm getting in 2k12 with the new roster set and attribute edit have been awesome.
How quickly do you believe there will be a Redeitt version for 2K13?

I might even buy 2K12 just for these edits. It sounds like you found the holy grail of attribute changes here Shogun. Great work!

# 18 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/28/13 09:45 AM
I appreciate all the effort MK, Bretsky & Shogun are doing with 2k12, but after playing 2k8, which has accurate colors and nice gameplay, looking @ 2k12 again is just meh to me due to the in-accurate colors..

It's sad that 2k shipped & allowed 2k12 to go thru a whole cycle without fixing the colors

# 19 Mjphillips @ 02/28/13 12:18 PM
Please check on check swings and cutoff button stuff for us, Flaxseed. This will determine whether I just keep playing 2k11 or not.

Thank you Sir. And can double plays be broken up?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

# 20 DJ @ 02/28/13 12:54 PM
Joe, can you check your swing in 2K8?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point with 2K baseball. I'd like to get 2K13 for the updated schedule, uniform colors and rosters, but then the guys on the boards here have done great things with 2K12; the gameplay videos that have been posted look like a completely different game, and that is impressive.

Are there plans to make those edits for 2K13?

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.