Home
Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition News Post

The Lions Will Roar - Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Out June 13th

Launch trailer unleashes the power and spectacle of international rugby

Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) and Alternative Software are pleased to announce that Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition for PlayStation®3, Microsoft Xbox 360® and PC will release on Thursday 13th June worldwide.

Developed by New Zealand based games developer Sidhe, the sequel to Jonah Lomu’s Rugby Challenge is the only videogame licensed by the British and Irish Lions 2013 Tour of Australia.

With more licenses than any other rugby game In history, from players through to teams and tournaments, Rugby Challenge 2: the Lions tour Edition offers more content, more authenticity and gets closer to the action than ever before with new features, including:
  • Refined and expanded gameplay with the addition of quick taps, quick lineouts, mauls from lineouts, interceptions, contesting ball at the breakdown, removing players from the ruck, number 8 scrum pickups, and dynamic in game team strategies on both attack and defence
  • 110+ teams and 50+ stadia from around the world are featured including official team, competitions, and special match licenses for the British and Irish Lions 2013 Tour of Australia, Aviva Premiership Rugby, RaboDirect PRO12, TOP 14 , Pro D2, Super Rugby teams, the All Blacks, the Qantas Wallabies, the USA Eagles, Bledisloe Cup, Barbarians FC, Combined Country, ITM Cup, and Ranfurly Shield
  • More options to create or customise players, teams, and competitions, and change game rules and behaviour to shape the game to play how you want and keep the game fresh year after year
  • Revamped sound and commentary systems, with real-time commentary from seasoned rugby commentators Grant Nisbett and former All Black turned commentator Justin Marshall, and French language commentary from Eric Bayle and Thomas Lombard
“The Lions Tour has begun with a bang with a 59-8 mauling of the Barbarians, and we’re excited to be able to bring Rugby Challenge: The Lions Tour Edition to consumers on June 13th,” said Roger Hulley, Managing Director, Alternative Software. “This is our finest videogame to date and we’re very excited to be launching the stand-out rugby game of a generation”.

Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition will release worldwide for PS3, 360, with PC to follow later in 2013. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website www****gbychallengegame.com and at www.alternativesoftware.com

Check out some Rugby Challenge 2 gameplay videos below, courtesy of VG24/7.

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour EditionReader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 0 - View All
Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Cletus @ 06/05/13 11:07 AM
Is this actually gonna be available in NA? I know they say it ships worldwide, but last I read it wasn't available in North America.

# 2 ps3veron @ 06/05/13 02:11 PM
Look awesome! More polished than the first and the grunts certainly make each tackle feel harder.

# 3 Facts @ 06/05/13 02:44 PM
Are there sliders? Passing looks way too accurate.

# 4 EvanRG @ 06/05/13 03:00 PM
I loved the first game - looking forward to this next edition as well!

# 5 Khaos_Kiwi @ 06/05/13 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts
Are there sliders? Passing looks way too accurate.
Yes there are sliders

# 6 bad_philanthropy @ 06/06/13 12:01 AM
While I liked RC1, it had some flaws that resulted in a pretty short play time. None the less, I gave it a pass as a first iteration of a promising rugby game series, and was happy to give my money in support of the developers and their effort. I have RC2 pre-ordered and am looking forward to playing it for a lot longer. I'm not expecting the moon, but incremental improvements in this series will do fine. SIDHE have done some impressive things for such a small developer.

# 7 willz1985 @ 06/06/13 11:14 AM
i'd really love it if for the next game or at least at some point in the future they added a career mode where you play as a single player. Kinda like Superstar Mode from only it actually be good :P

I use to play as a Prop until a few years ago and would love the opportunity to do this, maybe starting off at club level and depending on performances earning a call up to the national team

# 8 Fiddy @ 06/06/13 03:41 PM
this game looks pretty good.. im clueless on rugby rules etc, but sure as heck looks like fun!

# 9 Stormyhog @ 06/06/13 06:56 PM
I am from Canada and would really like the game to come to north america for the PS3 either to buy in store or as a digital download. I know the first game came to north america for the 360 but the PS3 was left out in the cold.

# 10 bad_philanthropy @ 06/06/13 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
I am from Canada and would really like the game to come to north america for the PS3 either to buy in store or as a digital download. I know the first game came to north america for the 360 but the PS3 was left out in the cold.
Amazon UK or Play-Asia will ship it to Canada, and it's only marginally more than the retail price you'd pay in a store here. I do wish I could get a PS3 digital copy on day one though.

# 11 Stormyhog @ 06/06/13 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Amazon UK or Play-Asia will ship it to Canada, and it's only marginally more than the retail price you'd pay in a store here. I do wish I could get a PS3 digital copy on day one though.
Problem is I don't shop online at all so it's either in-store or digital download for me.

# 12 Milla @ 06/09/13 07:05 PM
It's coming to PSN, though I'm not sure if Tru Blu are publishing to North America, if distribution isn't arranged for North America. You can always create a New Zealand or French PSN account to get it via PSN, or wait for Steam.

# 13 Stormyhog @ 06/10/13 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milla
It's coming to PSN, though I'm not sure if Tru Blu are publishing to North America, if distribution isn't arranged for North America. You can always create a New Zealand or French PSN account to get it via PSN, or wait for Steam.
Thanks Milla I will buy the game in a heartbeat if it does come to the north american PSN store but if it doesn't I'll have to pass again like last time. You can sway them to do it Milla I know you can do it.

# 14 Perfect Zero @ 06/10/13 06:44 PM
If it's on Steam here in the States then it's a first day buy from me. I love just relaxing and playing Rugby Challenge.

# 15 bad_philanthropy @ 06/12/13 05:16 PM
Got my copy this afternoon, and have played a few games.

Some observations:

-Control and player movement is much better. Players feel heavier, and this leads to fewer large breaks and swerving type runs on higher difficulties.

-organization of players in open play and breakdowns is improved, thankfully

-cpu ai seems pretty decent attacking and defending, but I'll need to gather a larger sample size.

-Rucking is well improved, and the addition of removing players from the ruck is welcome

-tactics seem well implemented, but I need to spend more time exploring this aspect of the game.

-The visuals look great, but how come kits don't get dirty? This was in the last game and it looked great. If I'm playing in the rain I want to see my guys get covered in muck.

-So far this better resembles the game I wanted out of RC1. I'll definitely be playing this for a while.

# 16 Anners @ 06/14/13 04:33 PM
Got this myself, and seem to have stumbled onto a massive bug. When going for goal, if the ball bounces then goes over the cross bar, it still counts from a penalty.

I am quite enjoying it though. I am struggling a little but that is more due to the fact Rugby League is my sport, so trying to adapt is taking a while!

# 17 jb12780 @ 06/14/13 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anners
Got this myself, and seem to have stumbled onto a massive bug. When going for goal, if the ball bounces then goes over the cross bar, it still counts from a penalty.

I am quite enjoying it though. I am struggling a little but that is more due to the fact Rugby League is my sport, so trying to adapt is taking a while!
Here's a hint: You get more than 6 tackles to score.

# 18 Anners @ 06/14/13 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb12780
Here's a hint: You get more than 6 tackles to score.
Haha, thanks! The only thing that's really troublesome at the moment is the fact I keep running away from my forwards so keep turning the ball over. When I make a break I forget which sport I'm playing and get all excited!

# 19 bad_philanthropy @ 06/14/13 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anners
Haha, thanks! The only thing that's really troublesome at the moment is the fact I keep running away from my forwards so keep turning the ball over. When I make a break I forget which sport I'm playing and get all excited!
It's tempting to run away from support. A lot of the videos I've watched online seem to reflect this common tendency as well. It's tough to find success playing like the Reds every match. Kicking really is your friend. I find it gets the cpu a bit disorganized and you can get a few more phases on average out of each possession.

# 20 Anners @ 06/14/13 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's tempting to run away from support. A lot of the videos I've watched online seem to reflect this common tendency as well. It's tough to find success playing like the Reds every match. Kicking really is your friend. I find it gets the cpu a bit disorganized and you can get a few more phases on average out of each possession.
It's more just trying to get out of the "bad" habits that are essentially good in League. The majority of the time I'm fine, particularly with kicking (seems quite a similar system to those involved in the previous Rugby League games, same developer anyway), but I think that's a lot more from real life experience than anything else!

Few things are bothering me at the minute, particularly players running out when getting the ball near the touchline. Another is the attacking lines some of the centres and wingers run if you're running diagonally or laterally at the line. They don't seem to give you angles to either go back inside or they seem to be miles away and the pass won't go near.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.