Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

Greg Miller of IGN sat down with Cam Weber on the IGN set at E3 to talk Madden NFL 25 and what the Ignite Engine means to next-gen Madden.

"(The Ignite Engine) is best in class tech from all of our franchises," Weber said.

The new locomotion system within the new generation of Madden was developed by both the Madden and FIFA teams alongside each other. Weber was particularly high on the new system, "The thing that makes Madden feel special on Gen-4 is our new true step locomotion sytem," Weber said. "You have much more control over every move."

Weber said that Player Sense makes 50x more calculations a second than Madden on current gen.

"It's like taking the blindfold off. They (digital players) can see the entire field, all the players and objects around them and they can react on the fly to what everyone else is doing," Weber said.

Weber said the additional power allows for the extra calculations from players and the new physics engine, which will add more depth than ever to Madden NFL Football.

When asked about what this could mean on a practical level, Weber elaborated on the line play, "The line of scrimmage has so much going on this year, whether it's run blocking or pass blocking it's completely overhauled."

Weber went on to talk about pocket awareness and pre-snap targeting and how offensive linemen will dynamically change assignments starting from the center outwards, just like in real football. This dynamic shifting of assignments continues as the snap occurs as well, Weber said.

And the big one, when asked about the generational leap and the possibly of features lost, Weber responded, "It will be a fully featured Madden right out of the gate. We're not losing any depth."

Weber said Connected Franchise was built with this generation in mind, so there won't be any depth lost as you upgrade from the current generation to Madden on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

While we've long suspected this was the case, it's nice to officially hear that Madden will be losing no depth as it makes the generational leap.

How does this affect your perception of the upcoming next-gen Madden?

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 gr18 @ 06/14/13 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
There's a lot of bias period. That's why I don't pay attention to anyone who seems they need to let me know how a game is good or bad.
Some seriously seem to take it personally if you like or dislike something the like or dislike. I'll never understand that.

My $ so I'll decide what I think looks good or bad.
I agree that people don't respect opinions and take it too personally.I really don't know how anyone can look into the crystal ball and tell how this years next gen version will turn out.That's why I believe the smartest place to be right now is on the fence.

# 122 bigad216 @ 06/15/13 05:21 PM
Can someone please tell me you can play with a created player on ccm offline this year please tell me

# 123 HILLTOPPER3339 @ 06/15/13 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
I think there's alot of bias in this forum regarding next gen.

You have the people that already pre-ordered and are all in for it.The rose colored glasses are on and you couldn't tell them it's going to be anything but great and 100X better than current gen.

Then you have the people that are going out of their way to call it crap.Part of this may be that they aren't enamored by the idea of buying a new system right now.
This is probably true, but it doesn't really add to the discussion any more than the biased views do.

It's pretty easy to pick out the posts relating facts and evidence-based opinions from the mindless propaganda of either side.

From what I've experienced, the initial trailer for the game excited me, because not just foot-planting, but a real sense of weight seem to accompany the players; runners were making one cut and driving up-field.

In the practice mode video, however, it appears as though that weight was more of an editing trick than anything; it's true that Peterson and the others are playing their feet and aren't "ice-skating" in the strictest sense, but what's happening is that the effect of ice-skating and swiveling is essentially the same, since weight and true momentum doesn't seem to be a factor in dictating when and how a player can plant their feet in the first place. I went from strong optimism to pessimism pretty quickly on that count, because I was willing to give the game a chance if only the very basic fundamentals of player movement were finally resolved. Despite the relative newness of the build, such fundamentals should be present, since, ideally, the rest of the gameplay would be built from that foundation.

# 124 gr18 @ 06/15/13 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLTOPPER3339
This is probably true, but it doesn't really add to the discussion any more than the biased views do.

It's pretty easy to pick out the posts relating facts and evidence-based opinions from the mindless propaganda of either side.

From what I've experienced, the initial trailer for the game excited me, because not just foot-planting, but a real sense of weight seem to accompany the players; runners were making one cut and driving up-field.

In the practice mode video, however, it appears as though that weight was more of an editing trick than anything; it's true that Peterson and the others are playing their feet and aren't "ice-skating" in the strictest sense, but what's happening is that the effect of ice-skating and swiveling is essentially the same, since weight and true momentum doesn't seem to be a factor in dictating when and how a player can plant their feet in the first place. I went from strong optimism to pessimism pretty quickly on that count, because I was willing to give the game a chance if only the very basic fundamentals of player movement were finally resolved. Despite the relative newness of the build, such fundamentals should be present, since, ideally, the rest of the gameplay would be built from that foundation.
I made the statement because I'm not confident in the least that people are keeping in mind that viewpoints aren't being swayed by their decision on whether to buy next gen right away.Of course the ones that aren't want to believe they aren't missing out on anything while the ones that do want to let everyone else know how much better their version is.That's human nature.It's only going to get worse when we have the haves and have nots at release.If it's not any better than current do you really think anyone will lament their investment in here.

I would say that adds to the discussion. as much if not more than almost any post here be cause it's free of alterior motives.

# 125 roadman @ 06/15/13 11:46 PM
Quote:
I made the statement because I'm not confident in the least that people are keeping in mind that viewpoints aren't being swayed by their decision on whether to buy next gen right away.Of course the ones that aren't want to believe they aren't missing out on anything while the ones that do want to let everyone else know how much better their version is.That's human nature.It's only going to get worse when we have the haves and have nots at release.If it's not any better than current do you really think anyone will lament their investment in here.

I would say that adds to the discussion. as much if not more than almost any post here be cause it's free of alterior motives.
Then is should be put back on the slogan buyer beware.

I've been teasing the household about buying a next gen system and already getting red flags from the wife area.

We will have two kids in college and one entering HS. That's a heckuva lot of money for the two college educations and if you debate college educations vs next gen system, you will lose every time in this household.

So, far be for me to start claiming my game is better than your game. I will only be able to comment on the game I own.

Plus, I've never bought a gaming system for just 1 game, although I know people buy the PS for The Show.

# 126 gr18 @ 06/15/13 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Then is should be put back on the slogan buyer beware.

I've been teasing the household about buying a next gen system and already getting red flags from the wife area.

We will have two kids in college and one entering HS. That's a heckuva lot of money for the two college educations and if you debate college educations vs next gen system, you will lose every time in this household.

So, far be for me to start claiming my game is better than your game. I will only be able to comment on the game I own.

Plus, I've never bought a gaming system for just 1 game, although I know people buy the PS for The Show.
I know what you mean.When you're in your 40's and I have two kids,one a couple of years from college and need a new roof within a couple of years.I would have to consider it my Christmas gift from the wife but want to make sure it's a worthy investment right now.I don't want it just to have it.

Also my gaming time is limited enough now to mainly play Madden and a few other sports games a little here and there.Several years ago I was playing much more.

# 127 roadman @ 06/16/13 12:07 AM
Quote:
I know what you mean.When you're in your 40's and I have two kids,one a couple of years from college and need a new roof within a couple of years.I would have to consider it my Christmas gift from the wife but want to make sure it's a worthy investment right now.I don't want it just to have it.

Also my gaming time is limited enough now to mainly play Madden and a few other sports games a little here and there.Several years ago I was playing much more.
Absolutely. I can't get down stairs quick enough with the oldest son setting "his" mancave.

Gaming time is very limited, especially when the games go over an hour.

# 128 Smoke6 @ 06/16/13 12:29 AM
Quote:
I think there's alot of bias in this forum regarding next gen.

You have the people that already pre-ordered and are all in for it.The rose colored glasses are on and you couldn't tell them it's going to be anything but great and 100X better than current gen.

Then you have the people that are going out of their way to call it crap.Part of this may be that they aren't enamored by the idea of buying a new system right now.
U know what?

The reason for my "Rose Colored Glasses" being on is the simple fact that after 7-8yrs of this gens madden, they came out smoking with gameplay issues (so called) being addressed that we all cried and beg for from this whole gen as a whole.

I cant be mad at that when I was part of the problem and did my part trying to convey my feelings toward this game constructively as I could and they finally seemed to get it and responded accordingly as most of all of us asked for!

So really, what is your issue?

If you not liking what you are seeing or hear then bounce, but I have to give props and have mad respect for the time being. They truly deserved it just from their press conference and what gameplay I seen that matched the talk!

# 129 gr18 @ 06/16/13 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
U know what?

The reason for my "Rose Colored Glasses" being on is the simple fact that after 7-8yrs of this gens madden, they came out smoking with gameplay issues (so called) being addressed that we all cried and beg for from this whole gen as a whol

I cant be mad at that when I was part of the problem and did my part trying to convey my feelings toward this game constructively as I could and they finally seemed to get it and responded accordingly as most of all of us asked for!

So really, what is your issue?

If you not liking what you are seeing or hear then bounce, but I have to give props and have mad respect for the time being. They truly deserved it just from their press conference and what gameplay I seen that matched the talk!
It's actually pretty amusing that an impartial statement that I made could be taken for anything else.People are viewing these videos and stating things they see as fact when actually it's opinion.Somebody else may view the same frame in an entirely different way.To each their own but nobody's wrong for how they feel about this.I think anyone who views these next gen clips as what things will be for sure 5 months from now should take a deep breath and wait.Nothing wrong with being cautiously optimistic.

Once again I will neither speak good or bad about the next gen product at this point.I personally didn't see anything that overwhelmed me and some things that quite underwhelmed me but I do see positives in the direction things are going.

# 130 LorenzoDC @ 06/16/13 11:15 AM
Quote:
I agree that people don't respect opinions and take it too personally.I really don't know how anyone can look into the crystal ball and tell how this years next gen version will turn out.That's why I believe the smartest place to be right now is on the fence.
On the fence. Exactly.

# 131 gr18 @ 06/16/13 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Anybody who likes what they have seen in Madden 25 so far clearly has low standards or has lowered their standards from what to expect from a good football game. How can anybody say they like why they see when canned animations are still very prevalent in this game especially in the next-gen version! The tackling is horrid! Players falling over like bowling balls once a tackle animation starts, what happened to IE? wasn't it suspose to make it so no two tackles are the same! It's obvious from what I seen that they have not touched IE when it comes to tackling in Madden 25. Don't see how people can look at the tackling in this game and think it's acceptable.
I have still been playing '12 out of preference and can honestly say that I'm still seeing the same 'physics' in all the videos that I see time and time again in '12.That is discouraging yet I try to stay on that fence regardless.There's a fine line between optimism and naivity though.The game will have to be released before I would give them benefit of the doubt.While the game will be better than '13, and that's pretty safe to say,I'm not sure how much better it will be than '12 for those who at least got enjoyment out of it by Madden standards.

# 132 roadman @ 06/16/13 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
Anybody who likes what they have seen in Madden 25 so far clearly has low standards or has lowered their standards from what to expect from a good football game. How can anybody say they like why they see when canned animations are still very prevalent in this game especially in the next-gen version! The tackling is horrid! Players falling over like bowling balls once a tackle animation starts, what happened to IE? wasn't it suspose to make it so no two tackles are the same! It's obvious from what I seen that they have not touched IE when it comes to tackling in Madden 25. Don't see how people can look at the tackling in this game and think it's acceptable.
People see things differently.

Are you telling me Sim's analysis was wrong?

If we all had the same opinions, it would be a boring place.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to hear a wide variety of opinions instead of opinions stacked one way or the other.

# 133 JaymeeAwesome @ 06/16/13 11:50 AM
I can see the difference between this gen and next gen regarding madden, but it's not worth the $500 investment for a new console that isn't backwards compatible. I give it 1-2 years before I believe the investment is worth it.

EDIT: current gen madden still looks pretty sweet...

# 134 gr18 @ 06/16/13 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
On the fence. Exactly.
If I were to bet I think the game will be only a little better than current gen this year but hopefully makes a big step next year but you never know.That's with all things equal bug-wise.

To some people a little better would be enough as long as you get continued improvement while others may want to wait till they see significant improvement.

I want to add that I do believe that this team is trying to make a better game.Cam Weber does seem genuine in his vision.

# 135 ch46647 @ 06/16/13 02:48 PM
I believe that when this full game comes together, it will be a significant jump over the current generation M25. (Just the new locomotion and OL/DL play alone will make it play and feel infinitely better) I believe we will see monumental differences for Madden 15 on next gen.

One thing I do not like is this zoomed camera angle, I do not think zoomed camera angles do sports games justice, particularly EA's football series.

I have been watching NCAA videos where the camera is panned slightly back and tilted a bit. The gameplay in NCAA 14 really looks light years better. (Literally, it looks so much better then NCAA 13, from a gameplay perspective, its unbelievable)

I believe it is a combination of EA finally sorting out a lot of the gameplay, but I also think that camera (co-ordinator cam) really makes the game look much smoother. I think that camera hides a lot of the wonky animations that have plagued this generation, and really makes everything look and play much smoother.

I REALLY hope that EA adds a camera angle like that to M25 Next-Gen. They have already told Steve that it will not be in M25 current gen, and I am shocked they are not willing to add it. It just seems to make everything pop, and the gameplay look at TON better.

# 136 SageInfinite @ 06/16/13 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I believe that when this full game comes together, it will be a significant jump over the current generation M25. (Just the new locomotion and OL/DL play alone will make it play and feel infinitely better) I believe we will see monumental differences for Madden 15 on next gen.

One thing I do not like is this zoomed camera angle, I do not think zoomed camera angles do sports games justice, particularly EA's football series.

I have been watching NCAA videos where the camera is panned slightly back and tilted a bit. The gameplay in NCAA 14 really looks light years better. (Literally, it looks so much better then NCAA 13, from a gameplay perspective, its unbelievable)

I believe it is a combination of EA finally sorting out a lot of the gameplay, but I also think that camera (co-ordinator cam) really makes the game look much smoother. I think that camera hides a lot of the wonky animations that have plagued this generation, and really makes everything look and play much smoother.

I REALLY hope that EA adds a camera angle like that to M25 Next-Gen. They have already told Steve that it will not be in M25 current gen, and I am shocked they are not willing to add it. It just seems to make everything pop, and the gameplay look at TON better.
I agree, I'm loving the camera angle. I think it's mainly because it looks like something you'd actually see on a broadcast. EA needs to realize the closer you make your game look like a broadcast the better it's going to look. Just like the field goal cams in Madden, why aren't those playable cams? Why don't they use them for replays? So many things wasted at Tiburon and over looked. Next gen they really need to tighten up. I'm tired of one game having features that the other should have.

# 137 SageInfinite @ 06/16/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I've watched the next gen video for Madden several times and I also listened to the Press Row Podcast where Clint Oldenburgh discussed the logic built into the line play. I know some people are not overly impressed by the idea that the graphical leap is not HUGE, but in my opinion, these are the areas that I have been wanting EA to work on for years. I'd much rather have a game with good graphics and GREAT football gameplay and mechanics than the kind of football game we've been getting the last 8 years. Graphics are a nice plus, but it's really movement and animation that makes the game stand out and be more realistic. If the line play genuinely works the way Oldenburgh outlined it in his presentation from E3, then I'll be very impressed. I'm very interested to see how Next Gen Madden polishes up in the coming months.
Exactly the animations, interactions and AI will take it to the next level. Also for me if they can step the presentation up, get accurate equipment and perfect the unis they don't need a huge leap in graphics. I'll be extremely satisfied. Animations are the real key for me though. I want to see athletic players. I'm tired of this goofy stuff. The animations in the trailer are the best from Madden I've seen in forever so, I hope the game looks closer to that.

# 138 ch46647 @ 06/16/13 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Exactly the animations, interactions and AI will take it to the next level. Also for me if they can step the presentation up, get accurate equipment and perfect the unis they don't need a huge leap in graphics. I'll be extremely satisfied. Animations are the real key for me though. I want to see athletic players. I'm tired of this goofy stuff. The animations in the trailer are the best from Madden I've seen in forever so, I hope the game looks closer to that.
I share both of your enthusiasm for Next-Gen. (Honestly, even M25 on this gen looks very playable, and this is coming from a guy who hasnt enjoyed Madden since PS2)

I think this team, and the suits in charge of Tiburon have finally decided that they want to make a quality, SIM football game. However, Madden is going to need a complete re-write of presentation. My guess is that is going to be a very heavy focus for M15 Next-Gen. I think they are going to focus much less on graphics, and much heavier on real broadcast presentation this generation.

As a matter of fact, one of the top presentation developers (Michael Young) said they had Pat Kirwan from CBS down at Tiburon last week. I think starting next year we are going to see a huge focus on a authentic, CBS style broadcast approach.

Remember the Kolbe from The Show is now a lead designer on Madden Next-Gen, and The Show has incredible broadcast presentation.

# 139 SageInfinite @ 06/16/13 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I share both of your enthusiasm for Next-Gen. (Honestly, even M25 on this gen looks very playable, and this is coming from a guy who hasnt enjoyed Madden since PS2)

I think this team, and the suits in charge of Tiburon have finally decided that they want to make a quality, SIM football game. However, Madden is going to need a complete re-write of presentation. My guess is that is going to be a very heavy focus for M15 Next-Gen. I think they are going to focus much less on graphics, and much heavier on real broadcast presentation this generation.

As a matter of fact, one of the top presentation developers (Michael Young) said they had Pat Kirwan from CBS down at Tiburon last week. I think starting next year we are going to see a huge focus on a authentic, CBS style broadcast approach.

Remember the Kolbe from The Show is now a lead designer on Madden Next-Gen, and The Show has incredible broadcast presentation.
I'd be in heaven. They don't realize the little things make a world of difference when it comes to presentation. I mean maybe they finally do, and I hope they are able to execute. They have no excuses now though. They've been handed almost dream machines to work with this generation, now they just have to execute. I am optimistic, though, as you said even Madden 25/NCAA 14 look very playable this year.

# 140 LorenzoDC @ 06/16/13 06:36 PM
Quote:
If I were to bet I think the game will be only a little better than current gen this year but hopefully makes a big step next year but you never know.That's with all things equal bug-wise.

To some people a little better would be enough as long as you get continued improvement while others may want to wait till they see significant improvement.

I want to add that I do believe that this team is trying to make a better game.Cam Weber does seem genuine in his vision.
That seems about right.

I do think, as others have noted, this team is trying to do the game right. The kind of stuff that, to me, will really tell if this version is a success will come out in the first two weeks post release. We won't know from the marketing. We'll only know once real game play experience gets logged in by people here and in the sliders threads.

And then we'll go through it all again once next Gen drops.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.