Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

It’s the 37th Episode of the Press Row Podcast, a one-on-one interview with Donny Moore (@Donny_Moore) – otherwise known as Madden’s “Ratings Czar” – and host Rich Grisham (@RichGrisham). The two discuss the overall ratings process, the challenges that he faces, which players are coming in as the best-rated players at each position, some of the biggest movers and shakers since last year, and a position-by-position breakdown of the most important attributes. It’s a fascinating glimpse at a key aspect of the overall Madden experience.
Joining us this week:
Donny Moore, EA Sports (@Donny_Moore)
And your host, Richard Grisham, GamesRadar (@richgrisham)
Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 1 Hours, 2 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Dave58 @ 08/20/13 10:17 AM
They don't have anything else to talk about. It's the same gimmick over and over. They Push you away from what really matters because it's the same game every year.

# 2 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 10:40 AM
Can Donny Moore please tell me how rookie of the year Robert Griffin III (who started off last year as an 83) ended up only an 89, when Russell Wilson (who started off last year as 70 overall) is now tied with RG3 at 89? He moves Russell 19 points and RG3 a measly six points.

Alfred Morris ran for a little more than 1600 and he is rated 87. How does Donny explain the logic of a big jump for one but not the other?

# 3 StreetCarp @ 08/20/13 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
Can Donny Moore please tell me how rookie of the year Robert Griffin III (who started off last year as an 83) ended up only an 89, when Russell Wilson (who started off last year as 70 overall) is now tied with RG3 at 89? He moves Russell 19 points and RG3 a measly six points.

Alfred Morris ran for a little more than 1600 and he is rated 87. How does Donny explain the logic of a big jump for one but not the other?
Are you aware that the pre-2012 expectations for RG3 and Wilson were significantly different but they ended up playing about equally as well as one another? They should both be 89 now.

# 4 msdm27 @ 08/20/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
Are you aware that the pre-2012 expectations for RG3 and Wilson were significantly different but they ended up playing about equally as well as one another? They should both be 89 now.
Well, in reality, they both should be much lower OVR.... the ratings are too effing high. But yes, but should be rated about equal.

# 5 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetCarp
That makes zero sense. If they both played the same and one player only moved six points and the other 19, then it's lopsided. If we actually went off your logic, 90% of players would be rated 99s. Kill it man.

Then other guys like Alfred Morrison who also had low pre 2012 expectations only move a few points and was in the running for ROY move a few points, kills what you typed.

I thought I went over this in my initial post....

# 6 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 01:18 PM
Quote:
That makes zero sense. If they both played the same and one player only moved six points and the other 19, then it's lopsided. If we actually went off your logic, 90% of players would be rated 99s. Kill it man.

Then other guys like Alfred Morrison who also had low pre 2012 expectations only move a few points and was in the running for ROY move a few points, kills what you typed.

Then on top of what I posted, Russell Wilson didn't get hot until like week 5. RG3 stayed hot from beginning to the end, but Wilson catches him in ratings????? Really???

# 7 ggsimmonds @ 08/20/13 01:30 PM
Quote:

What? Russell Wilson turned out to be far better than most people expected. That is why he had a bigger jump, he was rated very low initially. RG3 "only" went up 6 points because his attributes were good to begin with. How would his logic result in 90% of players being rated 99?

# 8 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
What? Russell Wilson turned out to be far better than most people expected. That is why he had a bigger jump, he was rated very low initially. RG3 "only" went up 6 points because his attributes were good to begin with. How would his logic result in 90% of players being rated 99?
Russell Wilson struggled out the gate. Guys either move up for what the do on the field or not. Again if both do the samething every Sunday, why would spike one guy over the other? Its not right.
RG3 did it with a rookie HB, while Wilson had Lynch. RG3 did it with a 32nd rank defense, will Wilson did it with a top five. Throw in the schedule of tough played games. Throw in all those variables, then RG3 definitely got the green weenie

Its not fair to the rating system or the players putting in the work. Its straight line logic here, not rocket science.

# 9 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Also RG3 attributes were higher because of the work he put in at college and being the Heisman trophy winner. Just because a guy comes in with high ratings doesn't necessarily mean he needs to hang there, especially if he exceeds his ratings.

Everyone had Luck having the better season and he threw a boatload of INTs, so...

# 10 TheKingOfVa @ 08/20/13 01:58 PM
Quote:
Also RG3 attributes were higher because of the work he put in at college and being the Heisman trophy winner. Just because a guy comes in with high ratings doesn't necessarily mean he needs to hang there, especially if he exceeds his ratings.

Everyone had Luck having the better season and he threw a boatload of INTs, so...
I agree with you, RG3 should be a 90.

# 11 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSeahavvks
The hommerism is strong in this one
Its not about whatever the nonexistent word you used. Its about how Donny rates players or not, based on his opinions alone.

# 12 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa
I agree with you, RG3 should be a 90.
Atleast that to honor his ROY status...

# 13 ggsimmonds @ 08/20/13 02:03 PM
You are right that it is straight line logic here. And the logic is that those two played at the same level so they should be rated equally.

The stats:
QB % yrds TDs int rate ypg
RG3 65.6 3200 20 5 102.4 213
Wilson 64.1 3118 26 10 100 195

They both played at certain level (EA thinks this level is 89 overall). Wilson received a larger increase over last year because he had a lower initial rating so he had more ground to make up.

And sure Wilson may have struggled out of the gate, but if that is true then logic tells us he must have finished strong to end up with those numbers. That suggests a good deal of progression throughout the season which, correct me if I am wrong, but that is important for a rookie QB.

Tell me something since you are clearly not a Redskin homer and re completely unbiased, how would you have it? What should their ratings be?

# 14 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:09 PM
Quote:
You are right that it is straight line logic here. And the logic is that those two played at the same level so they should be rated equally.

The stats:
QB % yrds TDs int rate ypg
RG3 65.6 3200 20 5 102.4 213
Wilson 64.1 3118 26 10 100 195

They both played at certain level (EA thinks this level is 89 overall). Wilson received a larger increase over last year because he had a lower initial rating so he had more ground to make up.

And sure Wilson may have struggled out of the gate, but if that is true then logic tells us he must have finished strong to end up with those numbers. That suggests a good deal of progression throughout the season which, correct me if I am wrong, but that is important for a rookie QB.

Tell me something since you are clearly not a Redskin homer and re completely unbiased, how would you have it? What should their ratings be?
You did yourself no favors posting stats. I purposely left them out.

Anyways based on stats alone tells me they shouldn't be on the same level especially since RG3 missed several games last year and still exceeded those of Wilson's.

I would put Wilson below Andrew Luck at an 87. I put RG3 at 91. This is based on where they started and ended.

# 15 ggsimmonds @ 08/20/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
You did yourself no favors posting stats. I purposely left them out.

Anyways based on stats alone tells me they shouldn't be on the same level especially since RG3 missed several games last year and still exceeded those of Wilson's.

I would put Wilson below Andrew Luck at an 87. I put RG3 at 91. This is based on where they started and ended.
We would have to agree to disagree. In the Maddenverse a 4 point difference in overall is significant. I don't see that amount of separation between the two.

# 16 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:26 PM
Quote:
We would have to agree to disagree. In the Maddenverse a 4 point difference in overall is significant. I don't see that amount of separation between the two.
Yeah man agree to disagree.

I'm just upset that last season RG3 was having awesome games and he was given no stat upgrades or very minimum! The Dallas game where he was destroying them on Thanksgiving day was giving a 1 point awareness stat. Russell Wilson throws for 135 yards one game and he gets a 2 point bump to overall stats???

Yeah we'll never agree on this.

# 17 darthsat @ 08/20/13 02:37 PM
Who improved more last season between RG3 and Wilson? It was absolutely Russell Wilson. More improvement on the field equals more improvement points in his ratings.

Remove the player names...
Player A:
Starting Overall: 83
Stats: 65.6% 3200yds 20TDs 5int 102.4rate 213ypg
This player started season with high expectations (and a high overall), and met or slightly exceeded expectations.
Ending Overall: 89 (Measure of his final production)

Player B:
Starting Overall: 70
Stats: 64.1% 3118yds 26TDs 10int 100rate 195ypg
This player started season with low expectations (and a low overall), and greatly exceeded expectations.

Greatly exceeding your starting expectations means more rating increase vs slightly exceeding or matching your starting expectation. Since their overall level of individual production as of week 18 was the same, their season end overall is the same.

# 18 ggsimmonds @ 08/20/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Yeah man agree to disagree.

I'm just upset that last season RG3 was having awesome games and he was given no stat upgrades or very minimum! The Dallas game where he was destroying them on Thanksgiving day was giving a 1 point awareness stat. Russell Wilson throws for 135 yards one game and he gets a 2 point bump to overall stats???

Yeah we'll never agree on this.
Well could we agree that Cam Newton is ridiculously overrated?

# 19 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthsat
Who improved more last season between RG3 and Wilson? It was absolutely Russell Wilson. More improvement on the field equals more improvement points in his ratings.

Remove the player names...
Player A:
Starting Overall: 83
Stats: 65.6% 3200yds 20TDs 5int 102.4rate 213ypg
This player started season with high expectations (and a high overall), and met or slightly exceeded expectations.

Player B:
Starting Overall: 70
Stats: 64.1% 3118yds 26TDs 10int 100rate 195ypg
This player started season with low expectations (and a low overall), and greatly exceeded expectations.

Greatly exceeding your starting expectations means more rating increase vs slightly exceeding or matching your starting expectation. Since their overall level of individual production as of week 18 was the same, their season end overall is the same.
Well if that's what stats are based on, why don't guys who aren't meeting expectations, not drop 19 points?
No one knew RG3 was going be that good. He was good coming out of college and was rewarded for it and his Heisman trophy. He exceeded more than 6 points. He should be atleast a 90 -91 and would be if Donny would've rated him just like he did everyone else.

I'm bored with it now, but I think its some str8 up, grade A, BS.

# 20 Gorilla Glass @ 08/20/13 02:53 PM
Quote:
Well could we agree that Cam Newton is ridiculously overrated?
Yes!!! He struggled and ended up 90 something. I let @Donny_Moore know about it too.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.