Home
EA Sports UFC News Post

The fastest growing sport in the world finally got it's next-gen gameplay reveal at Gamescom this morning.

EA Sports UFC Creative Director Brian Hayes came up on stage to talk about the game, it's progress and then to show off some pre-alpha gameplay footage.

"I'm here representing a tremendously talented team at EA Canada hard at work on UFC," Hayes said.

Hayes talked about the Ignite Engine and the teams goal to make each fighter, "More intelligent, more aware, and more alive."

"They (the fighters) will act like living, breathing human beings. They won't just be action figures up on the stage."

In what Hayes and EA are calling 'feel the fight', next-gen Ignite Engine technology promises to bring real facial animation and emotions as well as movement physics which have never before been seen in sports games.

The game featured Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson, who will be headlining UFC 161 next month.

The gameplay footage showed fighters moving around the ring with no floating or sliding but with real weight and momentum. At one point, in the demo Gustafsson had Jones in a guillotine choke and you could see the full body deformation and Gustafsson actually struggling to hold Jones in the choke (screen above showing his veins popping out of his neck).

The struggle and movement of the fighters certainly looked more lifelike and ahead of what we're used to. But the jury is still out on the product, and we'll have to see how the game shapes up in the coming months.

EA Sports UFC is expected to release next Spring. According to Brian Hayes, 9 months away.

What did you think of the gameplay shown at Gamescom?

Game: EA Sports UFCReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 7 - View All
EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bad_Intentions @ 08/20/13 11:53 AM
The little bit we saw looks good. Definitely doesn't look as stiff and as rock'em sock'em roboty asTHQ's interpretation.

# 2 ccoaxum @ 08/20/13 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
The little bit we saw looks good. Definitely doesn't look as stiff and as rock'em sock'em roboty asTHQ's interpretation.
i agree, from what i saw this could be the best fighting game EA has ever came out with...saying alot but EA doesn't really have a sport fight game that makes everyone want to play it and i believe this game will.

# 3 LingeringRegime @ 08/20/13 12:16 PM
I was impressed by the emotion and muscle tension. I was a little worried by the whole "fun and accessible" line. I don't want it to be a arcadey highlight fest of people bouncing off the cage and kicking people like Anthony Pettis every fight. EA has a tendency of taking singular moments (like David Tyree's helmet catch) and making them commonplace. I hope that is just trailer hype.

# 4 Bad_Intentions @ 08/20/13 12:27 PM
I hope they make the stamina system somewhat similar to EA MMA. Compared to THQ if you went balls to the wall early in a fight it really took it's toll in the mid to later rounds. What i'm really waiting for is how they represent the ground game/submissions. The difference between wrestling and jiu jitsu, sweeps, braching submissions, getting into position to attempt a submission rather than just being on top and mashing a button to initiate one. I hope the ground game is deep and well thought out.

# 5 strawberryshortcake @ 08/20/13 01:20 PM
start at around 0:55

# 6 Hiro1 @ 08/20/13 01:49 PM
9 months I want it now.

# 7 DaveDQ @ 08/20/13 04:08 PM
It looks good and I'm glad we got to see something. Much of what was shown was repeated sequences from various camera angles.

One thing I hope they do is give the aggressor the chance to pounce. Since these guys are behind Fight Night, that is a concern for me. In Fight Night, you can't really pursue your opponent by really moving your legs to cut him off and try and close things out.

This would be in response to a punch that lands and really rattles a guy. You should then be able to really take advantage or at least try to. The aggressor usually just doesn't sit and wait for the animation to end and then try another punch, or in the case of MMA a takedown etc.

I know it's super early but I saw that in that video. A quick punch or kick, the receiver jolts his head back while the aggressor just sort of waits.

# 8 SHAKYR @ 08/20/13 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingeringRegime
I was impressed by the emotion and muscle tension. I was a little worried by the whole "fun and accessible" line. I don't want it to be a arcadey highlight fest of people bouncing off the cage and kicking people like Anthony Pettis every fight. EA has a tendency of taking singular moments (like David Tyree's helmet catch) and making them commonplace. I hope that is just trailer hype.
You nailed it! I really hope this game have sim first and foremost. EA tends to use accessible as meaning a hybrid arcade and sim game which in turn makes fans angry.

# 9 Steve_OS @ 08/21/13 02:35 PM
EA posted the video, updated the OP.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.