Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted a new blog talking about how you control the handle in NBA Live 14. The blog features information about the new dribbling system in the game, with information about the three different levels of dribble moves that you as a player can utilize in order to get defenders out of position.

Level one moves are basic ballhandler moves like crossovers, hesitations, behind the back, etc. Level two moves are a bit more complex, adding motion and momentum to the moves above to chain together moves. Level three moves are the signature moves which you can use to drive to the basket.

No information was given on how these moves will vary amongst players, especially those who simply can't do level three type of moves -- also will be interesting to see how the defense will defend. All in due time I suppose!

How You Control the Handle in NBA Live 14

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 magicman32 @ 10/23/13 08:42 PM
Stand still dribbling looks good. What's the FPS though? Looks a little laggy.

# 82 BQ32 @ 10/23/13 11:11 PM
Honestly this so far is the best thing released by any next gen sports game outside of fifa so big kudos for live on that. Dribbling has been done well by live in the past which made it my fav bball title then but I am still cautious about the full game. Live 10 had pretty good defense which was fun and was probably the best balanced basketball game on both sides of the ball in recent memory and a great pick and roll control. however it also had a complete lack of post up game and a lot of weird and unrealistic animations that really took you out of the moment. If they can somehow retain the fluidity of movement without skating and add a decent post game while giving us a lot better variety of animations it could be a ton of fun. We know for online ballers it doesn't have to do too much to win over some current 2k players.

# 83 seanhazz1 @ 10/24/13 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I will say this much. I hope all this time they're spending on dribbling and getting that right, they put their best efforts into testing this thing out extremely thoroughly. Cause if the Lord and Savior makes another appearance at any point in game, that's a wrap the first time somebody catches it. No matter what good comes of the game, of BounceTek, it can all be erased with one outstretched arm
That made me crack up. I remember seeing Bynum stuck at half court, arms outstretched, and cancelled my preorder immediately that year.

Just left the other forum, and apparently the other game is "starting over" by dropping game modes and custom features that are standard in sports video games, like no custom music, no multi-team season, no playoff mode, no practice plays, and a bunch of others features not coming to next gen, but they say it still "looks" good.

Hands on impressions here.

There are a couple promising modes there as well(MYGM,The Park), but addition by subtraction (taking out popular features), or bringing back old features as eye candy, just to justify pricing is usually not well received by the gaming community, since you usually have to wait a few years to get it back, if ever.

I'm also not a fan of forcing people to play your RPG-sports game, from any sports video game franchise.

EA got it right in Madden, FIFA, and NHL, and I hope they get it right here too.

# 84 lakers24 @ 10/24/13 04:37 PM
The dribbling looks great. Fluid, natural, realistic, lifelike...but where's the gameplay? I've always preferred Live's dribbling mechanics, but I really wish they'd discuss or show something other than the dribbling. As promising as the ball handling looks, it means nothing if that is the most realistic aspect of the gameplay and everything else is barebones or half assed.

# 85 Da_Czar @ 10/24/13 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Looks pretty good. I still don't like the idea of breaking out of any animation you want because that's not real basketball, but what they have there looks good.
Well at least he says the ball has to be in his hand. That alone should keep it realistic. I would make a note of that as authentic responsiveness is diff than video game responsiveness. Meaning the system should be more sim but IMO guys especially cheesers will not want to wait until the ball is in his hand.

# 86 youvalss @ 10/24/13 08:21 PM
Looks good. I really liked Live 10's dribbling (except for the behind-the-back move, which I didn't know how to perform at will). This system should be even better.

# 87 2kfanatic @ 10/25/13 04:54 AM
Not going to compare this to the other game so...

Compared to any NBA live I have seen and played, this is miles and miles ahead of any nba live in terms of dribbling. So yeah this looks great.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the ball is teleporting but this is just probably an animation problem at most. The ball does not appear to be separate from the player because of this.

Hoping for videos of dribbling with contact and the like...

# 88 JODYE @ 10/25/13 12:05 PM
Something visually looks different about these dribbling demos than what we saw in the first gameplay video, but I can't put my finger on it.

Dribbling however looks very intuitive and fluid. I came away impressed actually. Interested to see more and see how it translates to the half court. Not whatever we saw previously which looked like complete nonsense.

# 89 Frizzz24 @ 10/25/13 12:53 PM
Even as a big time 2k fan, I must admit EA has it over 2k on 3 things. 1. Dribbling. 2. Passing. 3. Crowd (graphics and animation). Also, the crowd responsiveness/sound on Live has always trumped 2k. The dribbling video looked phenomenol. EA can only improve at this point. Just don't like the hunchback look and stiffness of the players. IF 2k had EA's passing and dribbling animations, there would be no contest, but I have to still give EA a fighting chance this year and for years to come.

# 90 titans321 @ 10/26/13 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by royounggoku
I guess you didn't hear about the improvements to 2k's dribbling.

Skip to about 7:42

GTFO here with that. This is about NBA Live and NBA Live only.

# 91 coolcras7 @ 10/26/13 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans321
GTFO here with that. This is about NBA Live and NBA Live only.
SO you ignore the fact that he was responding to a post that mention 2k several time. The fact is so far all we know is that Live 14 main focus is their dribbling system if the other game dribbling system has also been revamped in addition to the other new features and graphical improvements what is Live bringing to the table, the only thing i see Live 14 having over 2k maybe Online stability and with this new crew mode with a 100 players on the court they better have dedicated servers for next gen.

# 92 yungflo @ 10/26/13 11:46 PM
Quote:
It's painfully evident that people don't care about getting the best game, they just wanna support a certain brand which makes no sense to me . What Live has touted as their game changing feature and what they seem to only want to talk about 2k has done, right down to the signature dribbles and ALOT more. So why would someone want to buy this game? They NEED to start talking about features, online, gameplay other than dribbling. SOMETHING.
I don't get brand loyalty either. I'm all about having the best game for my buck. Same thing with consoles, etc. If people want to try this game for a change of pace, I have no issues with that. I just don't get the whole "x game sucks Y game is better and will always be better, no facts necessary."

Speaking of Dribbling, Like damn How much can we continue to ask on this subject? this **** has been covered since E3. What is it that we need to know so much about dribbling that its worth ignoring other aspects of the game? especially 3 weeks away. The dribbling looks sick I admit that, but damn its like asking the same question, in 25 different ways.

# 93 youvalss @ 10/27/13 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
Speaking of Dribbling, Like damn How much can we continue to ask on this subject? this **** has been covered since E3. What is it that we need to know so much about dribbling that its worth ignoring other aspects of the game? especially 3 weeks away. The dribbling looks sick I admit that, but damn its like asking the same question, in 25 different ways.
Yeah, until now it's been like: "Ask us anything you want...anything!...as long as it's about dribbling".

Spoiler

# 94 Vni @ 10/27/13 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
I don't get brand loyalty either. I'm all about having the best game for my buck. Same thing with consoles, etc. If people want to try this game for a change of pace, I have no issues with that. I just don't get the whole "x game sucks Y game is better and will always be better, no facts necessary."

My feelings exactly.

# 95 turty11 @ 10/28/13 04:48 PM
lillard looks like his shoes went into the court then started "floating" above it

# 96 El_Poopador @ 10/29/13 09:09 AM
Quote:
I guess you didn't hear about the improvements to 2k's dribbling.

Skip to about 7:42
i dont know why were bringing 2k into this, but this is someone "saying" theres none of those issues. i just watched the clip showing 2 mins of gameplay, and within the first 30 seconds i saw both ball warping and sliding. either way, 2k has nothing to do with live and live has nothing to do with 2k, so why not just keep the discussion on live in the live forum

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.