Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

The NBA Live 14 demo is available now on the PlayStation Store. You can also queue it up on the official PlayStation app (iOS, Android).

Below are some of the details for the NBA Live 14 demo, read more about it here.

Tip-Off - Play a full game with the following teams:
  • Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Oklahoma City Thunder
  • New York Knicks
  • Golden State Warriors
Offline head to head matchups
One of five BIG Moments
Live Ultimate Team

Throughout the season, CourtQ and Synergy Sports will update the rosters, ratings and tendencies of all available teams and players in the demo.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 ClevelandinDistress @ 11/20/13 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_sr
if only you guys can see the smile on my face. never in my wildest dreams did I ever think live was going to be this good. live 14 is exactly how basketball should be played. Just wish ea could do something with the speed of the game.
Have fun I guess? LOL!!!

# 102 convince @ 11/20/13 09:20 PM
Quote:
if only you guys can see the smile on my face. never in my wildest dreams did I ever think live was going to be this good. live 14 is exactly how basketball should be played. Just wish ea could do something with the speed of the game.
Okay it's time to go back

# 103 Formula1Racing @ 11/20/13 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
Okay it's time to go back

lol!!....I still can't stop laughing!

# 104 MarvinOida @ 11/21/13 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbournelad
I nominate this for one of the best posts in the Live forum.
Why? Cause some guy wanted to start a flame war on Live on a Live thread ? C'mon man, me and you know that it's just not right.

I went out and played the demo at a Best Buy. Then I played the installed NBA 2K14 game and then switched back to Live. While this game of course isn't a "simulation" game by all means, it was a fun game. And no, I'm not giving sympathy, I legitimately had fun with the game. It's $60 because it can be sold as a physical game, reason why this thing will never be $20 at launch as a disk is because the NBA wants max profits. Personally, if you found a deal and enjoyed the game, good for you.

The reason why it was fun because I let go of being sim for a second of my life and I enjoyed it. Yes, those who HATE the fact that this is basically a rip off as a SIM game can have the right to do that. But the game can be enjoyable if you can play basketball LIKE A VIDEO GAME instead OF REAL LIFE. It's Live, "sim" hasn't really been the main forte for a while now.

As for the graphics, people are exaggerating when they say it's worse then Current Gen to be Honest. The game looks better than CG NBA 2K14, or at least they had a better color palette.

Other potential good things for the future (as I don't own the game, but will assume)
-The Season replay mode, playing games that are finished kinda give you a cool little thing to try to recreate moments.
-Ultimate Team is fun many times (but looking at others vids, gaining good players early on don't look too hard)
-If the focus was more on a pick up and play game for the future, I think that would benefit those just getting started with the NBA video game scene or those who don't like 2K for [insert reason here]

Things to fix: (assumptions)
-Animation variety
-Commentary
-Game Modes
-Player Editing (they had a chance)
-Online (is it them or PS4?)

This game isn't for sim players unfortunately, this game is more for someone who wants to play an arcade game, while it's not worth $60, the basic game is fun as a arcade game.

3 years... 2 cancelled games, 1 generation leap. Future doesn't look bright, but there's some little bright light in that dark scary area we call Live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 105 otek @ 11/21/13 04:09 AM
Shakedown sums this game all up in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDs24K4RgA&list=WL9E4E2E539935AB25

# 106 The 24th Letter @ 11/21/13 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
As for the graphics, people are exaggerating when they say it's worse then Current Gen to be Honest. The game looks better than CG NBA 2K14, or at least they had a better color palette.
Then just say the color palette looks better, because there is no exaggeration as to how ugly this game is, lol

# 107 King_B_Mack @ 11/21/13 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinOida
Why? Cause some guy wanted to start a flame war on Live on a Live thread ? C'mon man, me and you know that it's just not right.

I went out and played the demo at a Best Buy. Then I played the installed NBA 2K14 game and then switched back to Live. While this game of course isn't a "simulation" game by all means, it was a fun game. And no, I'm not giving sympathy, I legitimately had fun with the game. It's $60 because it can be sold as a physical game, reason why this thing will never be $20 at launch as a disk is because the NBA wants max profits. Personally, if you found a deal and enjoyed the game, good for you.

The reason why it was fun because I let go of being sim for a second of my life and I enjoyed it. Yes, those who HATE the fact that this is basically a rip off as a SIM game can have the right to do that. But the game can be enjoyable if you can play basketball LIKE A VIDEO GAME instead OF REAL LIFE. It's Live, "sim" hasn't really been the main forte for a while now.

Other potential good things for the future (as I don't own the game, but will assume)
-The Season replay mode, playing games that are finished kinda give you a cool little thing to try to recreate moments.
-Ultimate Team is fun many times (but looking at others vids, gaining good players early on don't look too hard)
-If the focus was more on a pick up and play game for the future, I think that would benefit those just getting started with the NBA video game scene or those who don't like 2K for [insert reason here]

Things to fix: (assumptions)
-Animation variety
-Commentary
-Game Modes
-Player Editing (they had a chance)
-Online (is it them or PS4?)

This game isn't for sim players unfortunately, this game is more for someone who wants to play an arcade game, while it's not worth $60, the basic game is fun as a arcade game.

3 years... 2 cancelled games, 1 generation leap. Future doesn't look bright, but there's some little bright light in that dark scary area we call Live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except when OG (I think he was playing) was playing in the stream the other night running ISOs with Kyrie, Durant and Westbrook damn near the whole game and said how sim this game allowed you to play and the fact that they continue to call Live a simulation sports game. Yeah, though, other than that definitely hasn't been what they've been shooting for at all.

# 108 jmood88 @ 11/21/13 09:36 AM
Quote:
If only you could hear my laugh as I read this post. Thanks for that.

# 109 Earl1963 @ 11/21/13 10:29 AM
If this game was $15 on PSN I would buy it. The floor spacing is really nice change, and hearing the ball swish through the net makes me keep playing the demo. The swish of the net is a nice feeling that is sorely missing from 2k.

# 110 GisherJohn24 @ 11/21/13 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
If this game was $15 on PSN I would buy it. The floor spacing is really nice change, and hearing the ball swish through the net makes me keep playing the demo. The swish of the net is a nice feeling that is sorely missing from 2k.

couple of the reviews I read mentioned that was Live's redeeming feature was the sound of the swish. lol

and kudos for that mental hosptial GIF. That was money.

# 111 thedream2k13 @ 11/21/13 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
Please tell us more. What exactly do you like about it, how does the AI play, is the game sluggish or is it simply a case of not learning the ins and outs, etc.
With these questions it seems like you don't have the game yet you try to defend it ?????

# 112 nick_sr @ 11/21/13 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
If only you could hear my laugh as I read this post. Thanks for that.
i'm sleep tho

# 113 nick_sr @ 11/21/13 07:01 PM
Quote:
Please tell us more. What exactly do you like about it, how does the AI play, is the game sluggish or is it simply a case of not learning the ins and outs, etc.
1. besides quick plays, still don't know how to call any plays which makes it wacky. Usually just call a "cut" play to get one of my wings open for a shot.

2.game speed is unplayable if you're a dynasty guy like me, or if you like to push the tempo.

3.very difficult to rebound

4.paint defense is kind of weak. once you get pass your defender its basically two points

5.lack of foul calls

once I buy the game next week i'll get a better feel for it.

# 114 fluent2332 @ 11/21/13 08:29 PM
Quote:
1. besides quick plays, still don't know how to call any plays which makes it wacky. Usually just call a "cut" play to get one of my wings open for a shot.

2.game speed is unplayable if you're a dynasty guy like me, or if you like to push the tempo.

4.paint defense is kind of weak. once you get pass your defender its basically two points

5.lack of foul calls

Thanks, but I asked what you LIKED about it, LOL. Were you serious when you said you liked the game?

# 115 nick_sr @ 11/21/13 08:42 PM
Quote:
Thanks, but I asked what you LIKED about it, LOL. Were you serious when you said you liked the game?
of course I was! everything I didn't include in my dislike. graphics are better than the vids they show.

# 116 fluent2332 @ 11/21/13 08:44 PM
Quote:
of course I was! everything I didn't include in my dislike. graphics are better than the vids they show.
Cool. Just checking.

Thanks for the impressions!

# 117 ProfessaPackMan @ 11/21/13 08:48 PM
Ya'll two are hilarious.

You guys should have your own review show.

# 118 DonWuan @ 11/21/13 08:53 PM
Quote:

5.lack of foul calls

A little finger gymnastics and your good to go.

Hold modifier button (L1 for ps4) and then hold up/left/right and youll get a list of plays. Press the face button for the play you want.

# 119 southriver @ 11/21/13 10:37 PM
This may have been mentioned? I am in the Big Moments Menu on the demo. There is a Nov 16th game where it says "Kyrie For Three". The objective is to hit 3 three point shots in the last 90 seconds of the half with Kyrie.

Ugh...however. I have to play with the Wizards against Kyrie. Lol...am i missing something here? EA is playing head games

# 120 Sundown @ 11/22/13 01:03 AM
Finally tried the demo, partially out of morbid curiousity, partially because I wanted to see bounce-tek in action.

Well the graphics were bad... we already knew that-- but I was shocked at how HORRIBLE the gameplay was. Nevermind comparing it with the competition. It wouldn't even pass muster as a decent game in and of itself!

First, I busted up laughing seeing "Steph Curry" with a tiny head and huge body in pre-game warmups. So bad graphics, confirmed. Courts look okay. Even passable, but not great. There's a deadness about the presentation all around-- now some crowd models look good, but that just makes it seem even more ridiculous that so many players look terrible in comparison.

Controls were sluggish. Wasn't this the main complaint guys who championed Live had against the other franchise? Everything moves in slow motion. There doesn't seem to be much change in speed or explosiveness anywhere in game.

Bounce-Tek is... pretty crappy in practice. The controls are not intuitive or responsive at all. A flick right does not actually move the ball to the right. And it's really weird that you just hold RS down to get the slow cross. Feels like you're fighting animations rather than initiating them. Sure, the foot planting is okay, but it's not hard to do foot planting when your player isn't moving. That goes for the game in general-- everything moves in slow motion so there isn't as much sliding. Anyway, you have none of the responsive dribbling control or freedom the other game affords. This is Live's biggest feature?

Presentation is... really underwhelming. Kind of terrible. The commentators sound bored or like they're casually chatting on sports radio. Everyone sounds like they're mailing it in, including Jalen. But that's partially because Jalen's delivery is made robotic and choppy through poor splicing of sentence fragments. There is almost nothing that this game does as well as the other game, including presentation. The only thing that's better is the score bug.

Overall gameplay, again, sluggish and robotic. AI is barely existant. Durant just dribbled an entire possession in place with the clock winding down at the end of the first instead of attempting a shot. Defense doesn't attempt to swipe at the ball wall you dribble incessantly. It barely cares you're there. Just sub-par, barely last gen gameplay overall.

There are a few positives. Occasional fragments of dribble animations look very life like-- even if the actual dribble system it's part of is poorly put together. I liked that players would tilt a little when rounding a corner or turning. It looks a bit more realistic but isn't nearly as well implemented across the board as Live marketing makes it out to be. It's almost like everytime they add a decent mo-cap sequence to the game, they try to sell it as a bullet point feature.

Other positives-- occasionally you see some nice contextual pass animations, and the game almost looks kind of good in transition. It confirms what I saw earlier-- that it looks like they're at least trying to make it look like basketball, even if they're doing it poorly. It's better than the debacle that were the last three games.

All I can say is that they have an engine they can build from, but the game looks and plays like side-job pet project. They've got a ton of work to do before it's a respectable basketball game, but at least what they've shown is they're making the right game, albeit very, very badly. I'm just not sure if they have the vision and EA's backing to truly execute.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.