Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

From Gamestop's website, you can get a $20 Universal Currency bonus for pre-ordering MLB 14 The Show right now. The big news is that the currency will be spendable in every mode within the game, even within your 'Franchise Budget.'

What that implementation means is anyone's guess. The mention of a currency system does bring up bad memories of the 'always online' and Virtual Currency problems which have plagued NBA 2K14. It would of course, be to the products detriment if you have to 'buy' common features like adjusting your lineup with Universal Currency. There is no concrete confirmation exactly what will be required, but we will be waiting to hear on any additional details on how extensive the Universal Currency system's implementation will be within the game.

H/T: PastaPadre

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 RangersCruz @ 01/09/14 04:25 PM
i remember something like this for MLB 13 if you pre ordered you got 10 bucks or was it 10k of training points for RTTS

# 42 kehlis @ 01/09/14 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
I don't have an attitude,
And as an FYI, you may want to re-read the post of yours I quoted in this very thread.

You came in a made a completely unnecessary post to someone else and it was unprovoked.

He wasn't talking to you so why you felt the need to troll him is beyond me.

If you need an example of your attitude, that post is a good place to start.

# 43 burjeffton @ 01/09/14 04:50 PM

# 44 Heroesandvillains @ 01/09/14 04:51 PM
Quote:
When I first came on these forums I actually reached out to you in a PM, your never replying back may have caused me to think you were perhaps being snarky.
Either way, I have no intentions of having online grudge matches.
Generally people that have never been here before don't make type of posts that you have so far.

Which makes me wonder if you HAVE been here before...

# 45 Curahee @ 01/09/14 05:01 PM
Quote:
I've been on the 2K forums for about the last month and a half, and
AHHHH!!!!! That explains it!

Quote:
When I first came on these forums I actually reached out to you in a PM, your never replying back may have caused me to think you were perhaps being snarky.
Either way, I have no intentions of having online grudge matches.
#1, you have to be a friend or a Mod to send me a PM so, #2 I never got it and #3, your posts have been a bit snarky and for the most part, Im just bustin your balls. If you cant take a little hazing, well then I dont know what to tell you...

# 46 Curahee @ 01/09/14 06:04 PM
I don't care who you are..... That's funny right there!

# 47 dalger21 @ 01/09/14 06:18 PM
Wasn't this thread about currency or something?

# 48 Curahee @ 01/09/14 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Wasn't this thread about currency or something?
No. It was about unbridled panic and unfettered fear of UC !

# 49 lnin0 @ 01/09/14 06:46 PM
Quote:
Please tell me that you learned something from 2K
NOBODY want's a game that they spend $60 on, only to have to keep pumping fists fulls of quarters into just to play!
Keep it useful and it will be accepted, make it feel like you are trying to take advantage of your fan base, and it won't end well. Ask Zynga, or 2K in a few years if they keep it up.
Yes, they learned that people will make your game the #1 selling launch title AND spend tons of extra on virtual currency.

Probably doesn't hurt now that they are the only baseball game in town. What you gonna do - go without? Most gamers I know don't have the spine to do it.

But until something is confirmed (or hidden away until release) we won't know.

# 50 Factzzz @ 01/09/14 07:24 PM
For the people saying this has been in the game for years, how do you know if we haven't even been told what this "universal currency" is?

There is most likely something different to it, or it wouldn't of been given this name "universal currency"

Either way, i don't really care because I don't have any problems with VC in 2k, and that is probably worst case scenario for the Show, so either way this doesn't worry me.

I'm just saying that i don't think this is something that has been in the game for years, there must be something new to it and we won't know until we're told.

# 51 Curahee @ 01/09/14 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
For the people saying this has been in the game for years, how do you know if we haven't even been told what this "universal currency" is?

There is most likely something different to it, or it wouldn't of been given this name "universal currency".
In years past if you wanted RTTS points and DD Dollars and Franchise Budget, you had to make 3 separate purchases.

NOW?..... if you want all 3, you make one purchase for "Universal Currency" and you can spend it on any mode any way you want.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

# 52 moose616 @ 01/09/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
In years past if you wanted RTTS points and DD Dollars and Franchise Budget, you had to make 3 separate purchases.

NOW?..... if you want all 3, you make one purchase for "Universal Currency" and you can spend it on any mode any way you want.

I think you'd have a better time teaching fish how to walk lol

# 53 Factzzz @ 01/09/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee

It's not hard to grasp, i figured that right away, but with that could come some other things too, and i'm saying we don't know if it is that black and white right now.

# 54 Curahee @ 01/09/14 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Its amazing how much PP likes to be Chicken Little.

Just read some of his posts in the Comments section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
we don't know if it is that black and white right now.
Youre absolutely right. And thats why everyone needs to chill until "Official" word comes out.
Nowhere in that bonus description does it say anything about the end of the Baseball world as we know it.
Pasta Padre is nowhere near "Official".
PP is known for being wrong..... alot!

# 55 blueduke @ 01/09/14 10:18 PM
I see no problem with PP's article.

# 56 CubFan23 @ 01/09/14 11:34 PM
To me this is a lame pre order bonus. I wonder if the Classic stadiums will be available. I have them on PS3, would be cool to upgrade them this year

# 57 Curahee @ 01/09/14 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
To me this is a lame pre order bonus. I wonder if the Classic stadiums will be available. I have them on PS3, would be cool to upgrade them this year
HOLY CRAP! Youre alive! Where the heck have you been?!

Im sure the classic stadiums will still be in the game, but Russell already said they would not be adding any new ones anytime soon.

# 58 Bobhead @ 01/09/14 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
If you're utilizing all features of a franchise you are essentially playing as the "owner". If one cares enough to control tickets prices and merchandise sells, limit your player salaries, staff salaries, etc...you're basically playing a business game and operating in a budget. But the goal of all of that is to increase profits, thus increasing the budget.

There's certainly a fan base out there that wants to act as a "new ownership group" and turn the lower income ballclubs into high profiting, high spending teams. Thus the shortcut for an increase in budget.

Or in all likelihood, not everyone wants to run a sim franchise and just wants to use there favorite small market team and load up on superstars.

The beauty of the show is they offer something for everyone.
I feel like I'm not explaining myself correctly. I don't care about any of that. If The Show wants to make some extra money and sell these upgrades, that's 100% cool with me.

My concern is that most games ALSO allow you to earn currency WITHOUT buying it, just by naturally playing the game.

I'm saying I would not want this currency to allow me to bypass budget limits and other things, even before I make a purchase.

So for example, if I play RTTS and make it to the WS and earn X amount of currency, and then I go into franchise mode... do I now have that currency to use on my budget, even without ever purchasing anything?

The OP said it would "tie in," I'm just confused on how and where.

# 59 Curahee @ 01/10/14 01:28 AM
Quote:
Being forced to spend money just to be able to do everyday things.
Yeah but thats not what the bonus says it does. It says it buys points. Thats it. Just because it has a similar name to an epic failure doesnt mean it is the same thing. And until SCEA releases their Dev blogs, everything is just conjecture. Nobody knows and guessing only gets people panties in a bunch,

SCEA is not 2K. I think we all know that.
After all, look what 2K had with the MLB license and look what they did with it.
SCEA has had to claw and fight for what they have and I highly doubt theyre about to F it up on a few DLCs

# 60 Curahee @ 01/10/14 01:51 AM
OK, by that rationale (and I do understand) but by that rationale, how many "DUCKS" has SCEA produced in the last.... what?.... 15 years?!

That alone should be enough to calm the waves just a bit.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.