Home
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 News Post

The latest issue of Famitsu magazine has confirmed that Konami will be releasing Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 in Japan on March 20, 2014 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita and PlayStation Portable.

A PlayStation 4 version was not mentioned, which is surprising, given that Konami's soccer franchise, Pro Evolution Soccer, will appear on PlayStation 4 this fall.

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 will include twice as many commentary lines as last year's game, plus it has re-recorded many of the game's sound effects by capturing audio directly from Nippon Professional Baseball stadiums.

Famitsu's preview also mentions a new "guess the pitch" feature, which increases the likelihood of a powerful hit if the batter correctly predicts the incoming pitch's location.

Pricing for the three versions was also revealed:

PS3: 7600 yen/$73 (retail), 7100 yen/$68 (digital download)
Vita: 6650 yen/$64 (retail), 6150 yen/$59 (digital download)
PSP: 3790 yen/$36 (retail), 3290 yen/$31 (digital download)

Konami's baseball games have traditionally been region-free, meaning the retail version of Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 should play on American consoles without any modifications. Preorders have not yet gone live, but expect import shops like Play-Asia and NCSX to start accepting orders in the coming weeks.

Downloading the digital version of Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014 will require a Japanese PlayStation Network account.

Game: Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2014Hype Score: Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 ckarlic @ 01/15/14 05:42 PM
Nice! This is great news. I will most likely go for just the Vita version this year. For some reason, I enjoy the vita version of PYS 13 alot more than the PS3 version. To me, the Vita version just plays better.

# 2 Williekemp15 @ 01/15/14 05:53 PM
No PS4 version is pretty disappointing

# 3 Earl1963 @ 01/15/14 07:15 PM
I this coming to the U.S.?

# 4 Manny_Shevitz @ 01/15/14 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
I this coming to the U.S.?
Pretty much zero chance of that. The PYS series has been running in Japan for well over a decade now, and no version of the game has ever been published in the West. And while the game has become more popular as an import over the past few years, it's still too niche of a market for it to be worth it for Konami to bring it over here.

That being said, it's an easy enough game to import, if you're willing to spend the extra money, and even though the menus are all in Japanese, learning how to navigate them isn't that difficult.

# 5 Knight165 @ 01/15/14 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny_Shevitz
Pretty much zero chance of that. The PYS series has been running in Japan for well over a decade now, and no version of the game has ever been published in the West. And while the game has become more popular as an import over the past few years, it's still too niche of a market for it to be worth it for Konami to bring it over here.

That being said, it's an easy enough game to import, if you're willing to spend the extra money, and even though the menus are all in Japanese, learning how to navigate them isn't that difficult.
Or if you have a cousin and daughter in-law who are Japanese!
(they probably gave me a bunch of wrong info though to break my balls )

M.K.
Knight165

# 6 Therion7 @ 01/16/14 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Nice! This is great news. I will most likely go for just the Vita version this year. For some reason, I enjoy the vita version of PYS 13 alot more than the PS3 version. To me, the Vita version just plays better.
Likewise. I think the game looks so vibrant on the Vita's OLED, that the PS3 version seems a little lifeless in comparison. It's also a perfect game for your lunchbreak. Takes about 40 mins to pitch and bat for nine innings.

Looking forward to the new stadium audio. The PYS series really creates a brilliant atmosphere as it is with the commentary, crowd chants and hitting so it will be interesting to see if this injects a bit more individuality.

# 7 Herschie @ 01/16/14 04:34 PM
Could this perhaps be the new RBI Baseball? Would make sense if Konami bought the rights to RBI Baseball. I doubt it would be too difficult to use the engine for this game and just simply plug in MLB teams, stadiums, and players. Seems more likely than another company doing an underground project for the psat couple years.

# 8 Manny_Shevitz @ 01/16/14 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
Could this perhaps be the new RBI Baseball? Would make sense if Konami bought the rights to RBI Baseball. I doubt it would be too difficult to use the engine for this game and just simply plug in MLB teams, stadiums, and players. Seems more likely than another company doing an underground project for the psat couple years.
That thought occurred to me yesterday, but it seems too good to be true. If it gets revealed that they are using Konami's PYS engine as the basis for the new RBI Baseball, I don't think I'll be able to contain my excitement.

# 9 thaSLAB @ 01/17/14 08:45 AM
I think I'm going with the Vita version this year too, since no PS4 version was announced (I'm ok with that decision since the console will have just launched in Japan.)

I have all of the PS3 versions thru 2013, and have always heard the Vita version was an even better experience in some aspects.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

# 10 jyoung @ 01/17/14 11:58 PM
Konami's official website has gone live:

http://www.konami.jp/prospi/2014/

No new information there, but there are several new screenshots.

# 11 C.J.S. @ 01/19/14 12:27 AM
well,
this was what was pushing me to get a ps4.
guess i'll get it next year.

# 12 AntiBandwagoner @ 01/22/14 03:31 PM
Wish there was a PS4 version.

# 13 BengalTiger @ 01/23/14 05:49 PM

# 14 jyoung @ 01/23/14 07:15 PM
Nice, looks like "no region protection" is also confirmed.

# 15 pgoodyO @ 02/20/14 07:51 PM
Realized I was posting these under the 2013 thread:

I just want to point out for anyone planning on getting PYS14, this year's version is going to be able to be downloaded from the PS Store. That means you won't have to have it shipped and you wont have to pay to have it shipped! Check out spiritstranslations to learn how to setup a Japanese PSN to be able to do this on March 20th stateside!

# 16 pgoodyO @ 02/20/14 07:52 PM
Hmm the online D/L might not be as appealing, I kept thinking you could just buy the game straight up from Japanese PSN with your CC but you have to buy PSN Yen Cards. THe game is listed at around 7100 yen or approx 69 dollars to D/L, however from what I've searched for online it seems that they only sell PSN cards in 1000, 3000, 5000, and 10000 yen amounts. SO basically you have to overspend on the PSN cards to get the game. Example a 10000 yen PSN card from Play-Asia is 115 dollars, or, you could get one 5000 yen card for 60 and a 3000 yen card for 39 totaling 99 dollars, even so you're essentially going to spend at least 30 dollars over the listed D/L price and have some PSN Yen leftover collecting dust...

# 17 Will I Am @ 02/20/14 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoodyO
Hmm the online D/L might not be as appealing, I kept thinking you could just buy the game straight up from Japanese PSN with your CC but you have to buy PSN Yen Cards. THe game is listed at around 7100 yen or approx 69 dollars to D/L, however from what I've searched for online it seems that they only sell PSN cards in 1000, 3000, 5000, and 10000 yen amounts. SO basically you have to overspend on the PSN cards to get the game. Example a 10000 yen PSN card from Play-Asia is 115 dollars, or, you could get one 5000 yen card for 60 and a 3000 yen card for 39 totaling 99 dollars, even so you're essentially going to spend at least 30 dollars over the listed D/L price and have some PSN Yen leftover collecting dust...
I guess it could be used up next year but yeah that kind of sucks. On the other hand it also sucks waiting a week to get the game.

# 18 BengalTiger @ 02/20/14 10:31 PM
Website update (thanks to Muka)

Great screenshots

http://www.konami.jp/prospi/2014/game/index.html

# 19 dickey1331 @ 02/21/14 07:28 PM
Why is this coming out on PSP? I didnt know they still made games for it since the Vita is out.

# 20 BengalTiger @ 02/21/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
Why is this coming out on PSP? I didnt know they still made games for it since the Vita is out.
Well it is a Japanese game and I would guess there are still a lot of PSP owners there. Just a guess though.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.