Home
MLB 14 The Show News Post

Our friend Samit Sarkar over at Polygon has penned an excellent piece on the upcoming changes to MLB 14 The Show's Road to the Show Mode, which also includes some new screenshots.

Here are a few highlights:
  • You can play RTTS by restarting the career of an existing MLB athlete.
  • Also new this year is the Topps Amateur Showcase, which is three games to show MLB what you got.
  • You will have the option to 'go back to school' and develop your attributes more at the trade off of losing a year in your MLB career.
  • No more advancement goals within games, you'll be graded in a situational fashion.
  • Position players can finish games in under 10 minutes.
To read many more details about Road to the Show Mode be sure to check out the full article on Polygon.

What do you think of the changes to the mode this year?

Game: MLB 14 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 12 - View All
MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/14/14 09:53 AM
good read.

# 2 aukevin @ 03/14/14 09:57 AM
Nice addition of restarting the career of an existing player. I will definitely start over with my favorite player Tim Hudson now that I won't be controlling him in my Braves franchise.

# 3 Bullit @ 03/14/14 09:57 AM
Absolutely loving the new RTTS info. Looking forward to this more and more.

# 4 BSUFAN @ 03/14/14 10:45 AM
Finally some awesome RTTS news, this will be the best Show yet as far as RTTS goes, I am stoked for my new career come May

# 5 Scott @ 03/14/14 11:16 AM
Might actually play RTTS this year then...

# 6 Armor and Sword @ 03/14/14 11:21 AM
I will be deep diving into RTTS mode this year.....no doubt. I think my son will really love this mode more than me.

Can't wait.

Little over 2 weeks away people!!!!!

# 7 RangersCruz @ 03/14/14 11:30 AM
2 questions

1. Do you actually go play College games or is that minors?

2.If it's a pitcher will you be coming out the bullpen??

# 8 Armor and Sword @ 03/14/14 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
2 questions

1. Do you actually go play College games or is that minors?

2.If it's a pitcher will you be coming out the bullpen??

I don't believe you will actually play college games....they will probably fast forward to when you graduate or what not and then you will see your attributes after that. If I am wrong somebody correct me.

yes if you assigned to the minors....you play all the minor league games your in.

If your a Pitcher....you can decide of course will be be a SP or a RP or even a CP. I have dabbled playing a pitcher and first off....it's awesome. And if your a starter....you will probably start in the minors and yes start games. If your a RP or CP you will come out of the bullpen.

# 9 RangersCruz @ 03/14/14 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I don't believe you will actually play college games....they will probably fast forward to when you graduate or what not and then you will see your attributes after that. If I am wrong somebody correct me.

yes if you assigned to the minors....you play all the minor league games your in.

If your a Pitcher....you can decide of course will be be a SP or a RP or even a CP. I have dabbled playing a pitcher and first off....it's awesome. And if your a starter....you will probably start in the minors and yes start games. If your a RP or CP you will come out of the bullpen.

Yeah i understand that i was wondering more about the showcase

# 10 Armor and Sword @ 03/14/14 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersCruz
Yeah i understand that i was wondering more about the showcase

It must be simply a showcase for highschool and college players. So if you go back to school after the inital showcase.....I have to imagine you play the showcase again to see where you can land.

Good question.

# 11 aukevin @ 03/14/14 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
It must be simply a showcase for highschool and college players. So if you go back to school after the inital showcase.....I have to imagine you play the showcase again to see where you can land.

Good question.
I was wondering if you redo the showcase or not if you go to college, article didn't specify. The article did say you can go to college for 1 to 4 years. I wonder if you can test your draft status after each year of college, or if the game decides for you how long you stay in school, or what? Isn't there a draft rule that if you attend college, you can't enter the draft until your 21st birthday? So how could you only go to college 1 year? I don't know much about the MLB draft though, like what happens to a college player that is drafted but decides to stay in school, are there any regulations for entering the draft again?

# 12 aguero90 @ 03/14/14 11:43 AM
Oh man, I can't wait until May 6!! I'm so glad they took out advancement goals! Maybe amazon will make a mistake and send me the game a day early like they did with mlb12! hahaha! You should have seen my face when I got it a day early!

# 13 SamitSarkar @ 03/14/14 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
I was wondering if you redo the showcase or not if you go to college, article didn't specify. The article did say you can go to college for 1 to 4 years. I wonder if you can test your draft status after each year of college, or if the game decides for you how long you stay in school, or what? Isn't there a draft rule that if you attend college, you can't enter the draft until your 21st birthday? So how could you only go to college 1 year? I don't know much about the MLB draft though, like what happens to a college player that is drafted but decides to stay in school, are there any regulations for entering the draft again?
Thanks for the link, OS, and thanks for reading, guys!

Here's how I remember it from my interview with Ramone: If you elect to go back to school, you get to choose how many years you go back for (anywhere from one to four). The game just sims that 1-4 years and re-generates you as an accordingly older player with better attributes, and at that point you have to redo the Amateur Showcase. The "back to school" option is there for people who aren't satisfied with their performance in their initial Amateur Showcase appearance. If you screwed up and you end up getting drafted lower than you wanted to, you can try the Showcase again in 1-4 years and see if your increased ratings will help you perform better.

# 14 SVCbearcat10 @ 03/14/14 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
In the MLB, if you get drafted in high school, you have the choice to enter the minors or go to college. If you decide to go to college, you must stay for 3 years. It'll be interesting to see if they enforce that in the game.

# 15 Russell_SCEA @ 03/14/14 12:27 PM
You can't restart the career of an existing mlb player, that's a mis quote. You can mold your player in the likeness of an existing MLB player.

# 16 HustlinOwl @ 03/14/14 12:58 PM
Still have yet to bleed RTTS online, MLB15 wishlist. I do have some ideas for workarounds for MLB14 online franchise possibly

# 17 nomo17k @ 03/14/14 01:01 PM
Looks very interesting.

Wonder how the mode projects back existing players' attribute ratings.

# 18 tessl @ 03/14/14 01:28 PM
I don't play rtts but I noticed on the screenshot of McCutchen his speed was at the third of five bars which would indicate average speed. I wonder how that is calculated and if it will carry over into franchise. He was a track star in high school and is one of the fastest players in MLB.

# 19 Berserker2020 @ 03/14/14 02:03 PM
Now that they have revealed that you can model yourself after an MLB player, how many people choose Trout or Harper?

# 20 TGov @ 03/14/14 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I don't play rtts but I noticed on the screenshot of McCutchen his speed was at the third of five bars which would indicate average speed. I wonder how that is calculated and if it will carry over into franchise. He was a track star in high school and is one of the fastest players in MLB.
I think those are the attributes of the created player not the MLB players...

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.