Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

Judge Claudia Wilkin ruled today that the NCAA is in violation of anti-trust law and must allow players to receive compensation for their names, image, and likenesses being used in various forms of media. This ruling comes a day after the NCAA voted to give the NCAA's five power conferences autonomy to create their own rules, which could lead to player compensation in various forms anyways.

Quote:
"In a 99-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken issued an injunction “that will enjoin the NCAA from enforcing any rules or bylaws that would prohibit its member schools and conferences from offering their FBS football or Division I basketball recruits a limited share of the revenues generated from the use of their names, images, and likenesses in addition to a full grant-in-aid.” Wilken said the injunction will not prevent the NCAA from implementing rules capping the amount of money that may be paid to college athletes while they are enrolled in school, but the NCAA will not be allowed to set the cap below the cost of attendance.

The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete."

This case is far from over however, as many expect it to go all the way to the Supreme Court. For now, the wheels are definitely turning in a direction that could allow college video games to come back into play in a fully licensed and legal basis if everyone so desired -- but it may be a year or two minimum before the legal structures to allow such a return are in place.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 nascar163 @ 08/08/14 06:38 PM
This should get interesting over the next few days.

# 2 malky @ 08/08/14 06:45 PM
Yeah still would take a couple of years to figure out how the pie will be divided, but I have no doubt a College Football VG will be back.

# 3 DorianDonP @ 08/08/14 06:54 PM
Hopefully this would allow for all D1 schools to be included in the game and not just the Power 5 teams. Assuming a game came back at all, of course.

# 4 Cryolemon @ 08/08/14 06:55 PM
Would be cool to see 2k Sports bid for any license that became available. Can't see it happening though.

# 5 ODogg @ 08/08/14 07:00 PM
Awesome, can we have our game back now??

# 6 bad_philanthropy @ 08/08/14 07:00 PM
Definitely clears the picture on the future of a college football video game. Question is if the NCAA will appeal. I thought it was a slam dunk a while ago, but with the way things are changing all around it, I almost feel like it may have died on this hill here.

# 7 Gopokes15 @ 08/08/14 07:07 PM
Ncaa football 16 next gen please! And 2k feel free to make a college bball game!

# 8 HenryClay1844 @ 08/08/14 07:12 PM
LOL the supreme court is not going to rule in favor of the athletes guarantee 5-4.

# 9 dovuto86 @ 08/08/14 07:16 PM
It is now safe to say that there will never be another NCAA licensed game made ever again because it will be way too costly for game developers. I did the math on makin a college basketball game featuring all 144 teams at 16 players a team. it said each player has to be paid at least 5,000 dollars a year. So 5,000 dollars times 16 players on a team equals 11,520,000 dollars and the game most likely wont make that much...A NCAA licensed college football game will cost just as much if not more. I just don't see it happening

# 10 dovuto86 @ 08/08/14 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Definitely clears the picture on the future of a college football video game. Question is if the NCAA will appeal. I thought it was a slam dunk a while ago, but with the way things are changing all around it, I almost feel like it may have died on this hill here.
I don't believe it does because this will make it way more costly to Ea/2k to make the games

# 11 wolverinemaniac @ 08/08/14 07:30 PM
Dovuto86 you must have missed this article http://www.operationsports.com/news/747344/in-a-strange-twist-of-fate-ncaa-gamers-must-now-root-for-obannon/

# 12 Retropyro @ 08/08/14 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovuto86
It is now safe to say that there will never be another NCAA licensed game made ever again because it will be way too costly for game developers. I did the math on makin a college basketball game featuring all 144 teams at 16 players a team. it said each player has to be paid at least 5,000 dollars a year. So 5,000 dollars times 16 players on a team equals 11,520,000 dollars and the game most likely wont make that much...A NCAA licensed college football game will cost just as much if not more. I just don't see it happening
They don't have to use player names and likeness. Sell the game with random generated players and include an editor.
Even if the players are included, there is nothing stating that they would require a $5000 payment. We are already seeing many players who are upset that the game is not coming out this year. For many, they are just excited to be in a game. If they get something extra out of it, they'll be even happier.
The cost to EA or 2K would not be much. The amount given to the players would be taken from the license agreements with the NCAA, conferences and schools. Instead of the institutions getting 100% of the money, a portion would go to the players. No different than how the pro league rights and player rights work for Madden / NBA 2K etc.

# 13 DorianDonP @ 08/08/14 07:36 PM
Quote:
That doesn't mean EA has to pay every player $5,000 LOL.

# 14 fballturkey @ 08/08/14 07:44 PM
If this all plays out the players will likely sign their rights away to a representation group that would then accept or decline offers. Not all players would, so you may end up with most players in the game but not all (remember Jordan not being in some NBA games and even now some coaches not being in madden?) being in the game and compensated.

Since some money is better than no money they will probably just sign with whoever gives more money, or multiple entities if multiple ones offer (which is unlikely unless 2K can get NFL rights as well.)

# 15 dovuto86 @ 08/08/14 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
They don't have to use player names and likeness. Sell the game with random generated players and include an editor.
Even if the players are included, there is nothing stating that they would require a $5000 payment. We are already seeing many players who are upset that the game is not coming out this year. For many, they are just excited to be in a game. If they get something extra out of it, they'll be even happier.
The cost to EA or 2K would not be much. The amount given to the players would be taken from the license agreements with the NCAA, conferences and schools. Instead of the institutions getting 100% of the money, a portion would go to the players. No different than how the pro league rights and player rights work for Madden / NBA 2K etc.
it is stated in the article at the very end " The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." That right there sums up that it will nearly be impossible for an NCAA licensed game to ever exist again

# 16 dovuto86 @ 08/08/14 07:44 PM
Quote:
The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." This pretty much eliminates any chance of an NCAA licensed game from ever being made again

# 17 fballturkey @ 08/08/14 07:48 PM
If I'm reading that right it's saying that any NCAA cap must be more than $5000. That doesn't mean any particular entity must pay $5000.

# 18 Retropyro @ 08/08/14 07:53 PM
Quote:
it is stated in the article at the very end " The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA's cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete." That right there sums up that it will nearly be impossible for an NCAA licensed game to ever exist again
That is not saying that EA or 2K or some other company/organization has to cough-up $5000 to each player.

# 19 videlsports @ 08/08/14 07:55 PM
Like everyone else I just want College sports video games back. From all Companies 2k and EA and whoever else. A lot of players would be willing to be in the game for little money, and now that they get paid for likeness, It should be no problem for a contract to be drawn up every year to prevent mistreatment form either side. Just want college sports back, we are losing too many sports games anyway

# 20 dovuto86 @ 08/08/14 07:57 PM
Quote:
That is not saying that EA or 2K or some other company/organization has to cough-up $5000 to each player.
yes butr the NCAA will pass that cost on to EA/ 2K. thats usually how things work

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.