Home
NHL 15 News Post

If first impressions mean anything, your first impression of NHL 15 on the 360 and PS3 may very well be familiarity, but perhaps way too much so. The above video is one of a few different scattered reports from people who are claiming that NHL 15 on the 360 and PS3 shares all of the assets and menus as NHL 14. The above video certainly seems to point towards the gameplay being rather identical too, although it was claimed to us in an interview that previous gen NHL had received some upgrades.

The exact quote reads:

Quote:
"OS: How much work went into the current-gen version of NHL 15? Why should someone buy the current-gen version? What is being added?

SR: The full suite of modes from last year’s PS3/Xbox 360 version of NHL are in NHL 15 on the same consoles. We’ve added some multi-player physics to the game while changing the gameplay experience by taking some of what we did from the new consoles. We obviously couldn’t do everything because of the difference of the power of the consoles.

One of the requests fans have had for years is replacing the commentators, our new commentary team (Mike "Doc" Emrick and Eddie Olczyk) is also present in the PS3 and 360 versions of NHL 15."

With no other information to work off of, it's really hard to tell what was upgraded, especially on just video and anecdotal evidence. Regardless, it is very likely you won't be getting a radically different experience with NHL 15 on previous-gen consoles. We know you likely will get some slightly upgraded physics and a new commentary team, but menu assets and game art appear identical to last year. We are looking forward to testing this ourselves when NHL 15 launches on Season Ticket on the 360 and PS3 later today.

Game: NHL 15Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gagnon39 @ 09/05/14 11:08 AM
This will definitely add some fuel to the fire.

# 2 ChaseB @ 09/05/14 11:13 AM
The UI and graphics not changing much/or at all would be relatively standard for last-gen games at this point I think. Keeping an eye on gameplay will be the thing to really watch rather than modes/graphics/UI.

# 3 jekudlacik @ 09/05/14 11:22 AM
Yeah, I agree Chase. I play mostly eashl, so if they changed the gameplay enough I might give it a look. If it's just patch worthy updates, then it's time to skip.

# 4 Dazraz @ 09/05/14 11:30 AM
The menu layout of EA's NHL series has only seen slight changes for a while now. As long as Season Mode is in I will pick it up for the PS3. Next Gen may look better & play better but I need something that allows for multiple players other than just Play Now.

# 5 Yundtder @ 09/05/14 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
The UI and graphics not changing much/or at all would be relatively standard for last-gen games at this point I think. Keeping an eye on gameplay will be the thing to really watch rather than modes/graphics/UI.
Agreed. I actually may be ok with it being a step up copy from 14, as long as the gameplay BS is taken care of, IE penalties being called in full on High Impact mode, poke check fixed, no more bouncy puck in corners, some decent tweeks to AI, updated rosters, I hope they added some features I saw in next gen like having the players rank and type available in their profile not having to go deep into rosters and contacts to see if they are a 1st, 2nd, ect player and such, that was a nuisance.

IF people come out and say first hand alot of the minor gameplay stuff is updated, I may just buy it for 360, I was planning too anyways, not getting a next gen.

So any 360 info on gameplay is highly grateful to me to make a decision next week!

# 6 Diehardfan @ 09/05/14 11:32 AM
Wow. This is really pathetic. Even for EASports. What a sham. Consumers really need to make a stand...folks, put your money back in your wallet.

# 7 tinpanalley @ 09/05/14 12:12 PM
Just played a game. Some thoughts...
1. Menu system and UI entirely the same.
2. Hybrid icing has been added.
3. Some physics do seem better, marginally. Feels like when you make tweaks to your sliders.
4. Graphically I see no improvement.
5. None of the NBC presentation style is included although that's something I'm totally happy about. I'm admittedly biased to my Canadian Sportsnet and CBC. Always avoided the overproduced and flashy mess that is NBC Hockey when I lived in NY. That being said, the commentary is better. Much more connected to the game. No more horrendously tacky, overacted, and archaic phrases and expressions from Bill Clement. Although Emeric sounds like he's on drowsy medication compared to his real life energy, his expressions are much more natural. Just another example of a commentator not able to pretend in a studio to be as energised as he gets in real life.
6. No... more... annoying.. "Canadiennes" pronunciation. Best part of the commentary.
7. The crowd sounds seem more alive. The Go Leafs Go chant doesn't sound like zombies. For those who care about Leafs stuff.
8. Several player photos are changed.
9. Worst part - No 2013 Winter Classic. Un-freaking-believable. Finally get the Leafs-RedWings in a Winter Classic and NHL doesn't feature them. You can only play 2012 and 2011. Lame. Completely lame.

That's all I can think of. Don't ask me about specific modes, I only launched a Season and it was 100% the same.

Hope that's interesting.

# 8 RaychelSnr @ 09/05/14 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
3. Some physics do seem better, marginally. Feels like when you make tweaks to your sliders.
5. None of the NBC presentation style is included although that's something I'm totally happy about. I'm admittedly biased to my Canadian Sportsnet and CBC. Always avoided the overproduced and flashy mess that is NBC Hockey when I lived in NY. That being said, the commentary is better. Much more connected to the game. No more horrendously tacky, overacted, and archaic phrases and expressions from Bill Clement. Although Emeric sounds like he's on drowsy medication compared to his real life energy, his expressions are much more natural. Just another example of a commentator not able to pretend in a studio to be as energised as he gets in real life.
6. No... more... annoying.. "Canadiennes" pronunciation. Best part of the commentary.
7. The crowd sounds seem more alive. The Go Leafs Go chant doesn't sound like zombies. For those who care about Leafs stuff.
9. Worst part - No 2013 Winter Classic. Un-freaking-believable. Finally get the Leafs-RedWings in a Winter Classic and NHL doesn't feature them. You can only play 2012 and 2011. Lame. Completely lame.

That's all I can think of. Don't ask me about specific modes, I only launched a Season and it was 100% the same.

Hope that's interesting.
Personally think the new commentary team and if the physics are better would justify an upgrade. I don't think anyone expecting the same upgrade cycle as the rest of this past gen is living in reality...especially when the NHL team seemed stretched as-is. But definitely worried the game may feel way too familiar to some based on reports we're hearing. Buyer beware in that sense, you've been warned haha.

# 9 Caterham20 @ 09/05/14 12:26 PM
So we can still edit players and play as euro/CHL seasons on these old gen games right?

Might have to just but on this if the case. Sounds better than what the PS4 version is offering.

# 10 Splitter77 @ 09/05/14 12:28 PM
is sim speed faster on ps3??
any changes to sim engine??

# 11 DJ @ 09/05/14 12:46 PM
Looks like the bouncy-puck on dump-ins has been removed, which is a welcomed sight. Players seemed to move slower (which is a good thing), like they had more weight to them. I'm hoping more penalties are called in this game. If that's the case, I'll certainly pick the game up for the 360.

# 12 RUFFNREADY @ 09/05/14 12:55 PM
EA are a bunch of white collar criminals! Yes, I said it! How could they give Us pretty much the same product as last year and charge Us full price? At most it's a roster Update!
When NBA ELITE was cancelled; they gave the NBA LIVE 10 gaming community "FREE" roster updates??? for the game, for the year!
why are they milking this COW for everything We have?
SMH

# 13 Cardot @ 09/05/14 12:57 PM
For annual sports games in general, I have always been stumped whenever developers haven't bothered to change up the menu theme/fonts/colors. It seems like it would be a pretty quick & easy way to at least give a good first impression.

# 14 jpollack34 @ 09/05/14 12:59 PM
I'm confused by what people are reporting... is it any different from nhl14 or just a roster update.

# 15 Elite49 @ 09/05/14 01:12 PM
Don't want to sound like I'm backing EA here but when the game was FIRST announced they came out and said, the only new thing in last-gen was Commentary and something else. Then the new-gen stuff is this, and this. Don't know why people are surprised with this. Actually just looking at the site, it still states it under the Features category. I can see the hate for the new-gen stuff but last-gen? People knew what they were getting into from the day it was announced.

# 16 snc237 @ 09/05/14 01:13 PM
Why are people surprised? The new consoles are here, a roster update is all you get. I'm surprised madden had as big of improvement as they did this year on the 360/ps3. Madden 12 was the last game football game on the ps2 and it was the exact same game that you would of played in 07. It's how sports games work. You want improvements you need the new system. In saying that NHL 15 for the new systems is only improved on the ice.... The rest of the game is missing

# 17 tinpanalley @ 09/05/14 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Personally think the new commentary team and if the physics are better would justify an upgrade. I don't think anyone expecting the same upgrade cycle as the rest of this past gen is living in reality...especially when the NHL team seemed stretched as-is. But definitely worried the game may feel way too familiar to some based on reports we're hearing. Buyer beware in that sense, you've been warned haha.
Honestly, if massive improvements are what anyone is looking for, then no, I'd say quite frankly that overall there is no change. To me, having hybrid icing, newer player photos, some new adboards, the new commentary, and the 2014-2015 schedule are all good enough reasons to get the new game. For me. If there are minor physics and sound upgrades, all the better. But I play straight up seasons with no fantasy elements so I don't know in those modes how things are supposed to change year to year. I can't give an opinion on that. To me it continues to do what it does really well and adds little details that matter to me. So, considering their focus is on the next gen version, to be honest I'm glad the game didn't worsen like what happened with PS2 and XBOX versions of sports games when the 360 and PS3 came out.
My guess is most people will feel ripped off, not enough changes, roster update, etc etc etc. If you want a massive change, NO don't buy it.

# 18 johnnydrum @ 09/05/14 01:43 PM
Hiya Tinpanalley
Many Thanks for the info.
I am sure that you are being inundated with requests, but would be really greatfull if you can help me with some further info;
XBOX 360/OFFLINE PLAY

*Does the game have SEASON MODE (I like to play offline, by selecting all the Teams, and doing the real life trades for each team)
Can I activate all 30 teams in SEASON MODE (If the mode is even in?)

*Ea do such a brutal job on the player ratings, so are we able to EDIT PLAYERS (I always think all the ratings/attributes are too high)

Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley

Hope that's interesting.

# 19 scottyp180 @ 09/05/14 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snc237
Why are people surprised? The new consoles are here, a roster update is all you get. I'm surprised madden had as big of improvement as they did this year on the 360/ps3. Madden 12 was the last game football game on the ps2 and it was the exact same game that you would of played in 07. It's how sports games work. You want improvements you need the new system. In saying that NHL 15 for the new systems is only improved on the ice.... The rest of the game is missing
Completely agree that people shouldn't be surprise but as a result thr game shouldn't be full priced since that game is a minor update. $40 would be perfect but even $50 would make sense. However charging the same for both current gen and last gen (or next gen and current gen, whatever they are labeled as) doesn't seem right. It would be like charging the same price for a dvd and a blu ray version of a movie.

# 20 BearishRiggs @ 09/05/14 02:16 PM
Not surprised, but man...how hard would it have been to give us the new UI? How long did Madden and Fifa have the new menus? EA should be ashamed to charge $60 considering how much of the game is copy/pasted over.

My season ticket download is in progress, and I'll be diving into Be a GM and stuff. But, really, if nothing is new, I'm sticking with 14. My rosters at this point in time are probably superior to EA's anyways. The only saving grace would be if they've improved the puck physics and AI at all. Otherwise, screw it.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.