Home
Super Mega Baseball News Post

There's a new baseball game coming to town by the name of Super Mega Baseball. Super Mega Baseball promises to bring a fresh and fun new experience for PlayStation gamers, with a graphical style that's a bit over the top -- but with quite realistic baseball on the field.

Created by Metalhead Software, the game seeks to begin to fill the void left by big publishers who vacated the non-licensed but more lighthearted area within world of sports video games.

In a blog on PlayStation.com, co-founder of Metalhead Studios Scott Drader said this about the vision behind the game, "I’ll acknowledge that there’s some nostalgia in my words. The reality is that games have improved, and so have expectations. There are reasons we see fewer sports games now. There are reasons that indie developers haven’t penetrated the sports genre in the same way they have other genres. I could talk all day about how these things came to be, but let’s just say that we decided it was absolutely necessary that we make a new couch-coop/competitive baseball game."

Here are some relevant details on the game:
  • 2-4 player couch co-op/competitive: This can be head-to-head, 2v1, 2v2, or co-op vs the CPU. When you’ve got a teammate, you’ll be alternating batting/running each at-bat, and alternating pitching/fielding each inning. This means everyone’s involved and you’ll have to be on your toes. There’s per-user, sliding difficulty settings, meaning you’ll be able to easily setup a close game between friends of any skill levels.
  • Ultra responsive, blazing fast gameplay: In a nutshell, you’re going to spend most of your time telling your players what to do. All the cinematic stuff is skippable and you’ll be able to cut through 9-innings in 20 minutes. The basic controls are ultra-easy to learn, but you’ll need to master jumping, diving, wall-catches, power-swings, and cut-off plays to properly dominate your friends.
  • Full batting/pitching stats: There’s not much to say here other than that the information you expect to see is all there.
  • Realistic simulation and physics: Don’t be fooled by the light-hearted/comical presentation; the fundamentals of the sport of baseball are here.
  • Leveling System: You’ll tally up Starpoints for hits/strikeouts/catches during each game, Level Up once you have enough, and then hire staff to train and coach your players, boosting their abilities. Use that jacked up team to win at higher difficulties (and post higher leaderboard scores than your friends!).
  • Team customizations: Customize the look of your squad to your hearts delight. You can make as many aesthetic adjustments as you want. Laaaaadies… are in the house (and the game).
If you can't see the video above, click here. Also, check out the screenshots we posted of the game. Super Mega Baseball is scheduled for a fall 2014 release.

Super Mega Baseball screenshot gallery - Click to view Super Mega Baseball screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Super Mega BaseballReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 5 - View All
Super Mega Baseball Videos
Member Comments
# 1 CaseIH @ 09/17/14 03:21 PM
If there was ever a game made like Baseball Stars from the Nintendo days I would buy it in a heart beat. That what I was hoping this game would be, but sounds like its not since it dont seem to have a season mode.

# 2 ty5oke @ 09/17/14 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
If there was ever a game made like Baseball Stars from the Nintendo days I would buy it in a heart beat. That what I was hoping this game would be, but sounds like its not since it dont seem to have a season mode.
It said co-op season mode in the video

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 09/17/14 03:35 PM
wonder if similar to RBI with no online mode and appears that way

# 4 Armor and Sword @ 09/17/14 03:39 PM
This looks like it will be a lot of fun for my kid (who plays The Show BTW) in that he can customize his team and name the players etc after his travel team. We would have fun with this.

Looks a like a holiday buy for my household.

# 5 jpollack34 @ 09/17/14 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
This looks like it will be a lot of fun for my kid (who plays The Show BTW) in that he can customize his team and name the players etc after his travel team. We would have fun with this.

Looks a like a holiday buy for my household.
It's a good point. My kid might like it as well. It seems that there's no accessible games anymore for kids like when we were growing up. Games that taught the sport and made kids into fans. No one is interested anymore in building a brand. The focus is completely short term. I fear that these companies are going to miss out on the next generation of kids. They'll have no connection to the sport.

# 6 strawberryshortcake @ 09/17/14 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
Wish I still had interest in arcade sports games. Baseball Stars was absolutely fantastic. Hook up a second controller, two player mode, use one team and bean the other team, score 10 runs, game called, load up on cash and build up your team.

The only major issue was trying to successfully turn off the game. Hold the reset button down, press the power button, and release both at the same time. Otherwise, all your data gets completely wiped out.

# 7 Eyeman79 @ 09/17/14 04:39 PM
I like the concept, this type of game is needed, but no solo play ? At my age I don't have a lot of friends over to play video games. Guess I'll pass.

# 8 Vic Viper @ 09/17/14 04:56 PM
I would definitely give this a try if it were online, but it seems like it's catering to offline head to head and co-op. Might have to pass since I was disappointed with the new RBI Baseball game.

# 9 bcruise @ 09/17/14 05:02 PM
Definitely picking up a Baseball Stars vibe from this. Sounds fun.

And yes, it has single player. From the PS Blog comments:

Quote:
There’s lotsa single player – with team development and stuff. As far as online, there’s a competitive scoring system that feeds into the Leaderboards, but no online multiplayer.
Quote:
There’s a full single player mode. Seasons, playoffs, stats, level-ups, improving your team, and so on. Playing it co-op is entirely optional.

# 10 Eyeman79 @ 09/17/14 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Definitely picking up a Baseball Stars vibe from this. Sounds fun.

And yes, it has single player. From the PS Blog comments:
Thanks, that changes me to definite buy. Guess I should have looked into that.

# 11 Williekemp15 @ 09/17/14 05:47 PM
Looks fun love MLB the Show but i really enjoy some arcade baseball games as well. I will keep an eye on this.

# 12 thaSLAB @ 09/17/14 05:48 PM
Definitely a buy. My son (and myself) will enjoy this a lot.

# 13 jyoung @ 09/17/14 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
wonder if similar to RBI with no online mode and appears that way
A developer confirmed on the PlayStation Blog post that there will be no online multiplayer:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...ps3-this-fall/

# 14 DJ @ 09/17/14 06:20 PM
Doesn't look bad. Hopefully it does well.

# 15 Azbronco @ 09/17/14 07:27 PM
I'd love an arcade style baseball game. Ken Griffey on the SNES was a ton of fun. There's a place for both sims and arcade IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 16 Dogslax41 @ 09/17/14 08:41 PM
Looks like Power Pros and if they can get it close to that trust me it may look like it but you can't label that an arcade game. Power pros still has some of the best ball physics I have seen in a baseball game. Was insanely addicting as well. This is one I will definitely be keeping my eye on.

# 17 shogunofharlem3 @ 09/17/14 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbronco
I'd love an arcade style baseball game. Ken Griffey on the SNES was a ton of fun. There's a place for both sims and arcade IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks fun. KG on SNes was my favorite and I had last seasons teams almost all updated.

Since it is a arcade game, and I do dig that and think there is a place for it, the same reason I fire up KG Baseball or old school RBI for fun.....the 50 second mark, 1-5-4 double play by the cpu (or player even worse) made me cringe. haha.

That being said, about time for a good old school, customize able game. Many hours in my youth on Baseball Stars, Super Baseball SIm 1.000 etc. Good stuff here.

# 18 Simple Mathematics @ 09/18/14 07:49 AM
Looks great. I'll be picking this up.

# 19 Cabish @ 09/18/14 08:06 AM
I really think 2k need to start making their baseball game again,
Gamers are idiots- and 2k should have realized all they needed to do,was give prettier graphics and animations,when competing with the show,,,that's the first thing to give these sheep,reAly pretty graphics and animations and the rest can always be worked on

# 20 CaseIH @ 09/18/14 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabish
I really think 2k need to start making their baseball game again,
Gamers are idiots- and 2k should have realized all they needed to do,was give prettier graphics and animations,when competing with the show,,,that's the first thing to give these sheep,reAly pretty graphics and animations and the rest can always be worked on
Problem with 2k and baseball is like EA with basketball, they dont have the competent developers that their competitor has and why they cant compete. IMO competition is great and I think as gamers its best if a game has competition, but even when 2k made baseball they werent any type of competition to MLBTS, jut like EA basketball vs NBA2k, I think ll EA basketball does is probably give the NBA2k devs a good laugh.

I think the reason MLBTS is always so good, as well as NBA2k usually being great each year is because they have a development team that are diehard fans of that sport, so I think their heart and sould goes into those games.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.