Home
NBA 2K15 News Post

GameInformer has posted 44 details on NBA 2K15's presentation and gameplay, as well as MyCAREER, MyLEAGUE, MyTEAM and 2K Heroes modes. Below are some of the key items of interest, but be sure to read the entire list here.
  • A new create-a-player interface gives you more tools than ever before to create players you can place on NBA rosters. You can tweak everything from forehead and jawline to ears, eyes, and lips. Many of the facial features and hairstyles are pulled from other NBA players, so if you want to rock the Ginobli bald spot with the sharp Artest cheekbones you can.
  • After big plays, Visual Concepts has worked in new camera angles to highlight player reactions.
  • To improve the defense and make A.I. players look more in control, Visual Concepts fixed how they move in small spaces, making it look less frantic. They are much better at avoiding overreactions and react more fluidly when adjusting to offensive movement. Since they stay at home, it's easier to re-orient yourself when you switch to a new defender as well.
  • To help differentiate between teams after a set play breaks down, each one uses their true base set in NBA 2K15. Now when you play the Heat, which Jones jokes doesn't truly have a big (sorry Bosh), they will run a four-out one-in set. The Spurs, on the other hand, will have three-out two-in base set.
  • During your second year, Doc Rivers will take over as the head coach of your team. Players will have a more intense relationship with Rivers than with the coaches from last year, as he has expectations for how he wants you to perform and what you should be focusing on in a particular game situation. These include tutorial-like pre-game meetings with assistant coaches where they go over points of emphasis.

Game: NBA 2K15Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 64 - View All
NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 MarvellousOne @ 09/25/14 03:07 PM
I Don't like the doc rivers being your coach anywhere idea...I'm a huge bulls fan and I would like to play for Thibs...smh

# 62 MikeBadge @ 09/25/14 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox831
If people really have an issue with the story based MyCareer, why don't you use the upgraded create a player and MyLeague to your advatage?

If you really want things to be realistic, start a 30-team MyLeague and place your created self in the draft pool (or straight on a team if you'd like to choose your destination), come draft time see what team selects you and then just start your career that way. When you play a game set your preferred position to whatever you are when you're on the court and then control the team when you're off, you can realistically progress your skills as well if you have the discipline and then have a hand in all transactions involving you. It's a lot of work, but if you really want the barebones non-story driven MyCareer, it's what you're going to have to do to get the most realism out of it.
I will do this and have done this since 2K11.

That being said, it's frustrating that 2K hasn't been able to produce a realistic career mode experience and that I've been forced to create my own via Association/MyLeague for so long. The fact that you cannot sim to your next appearance is a bit of a bear as well (I usually create a player in the mid to high 70s so I don't sit too much, but imagine how tough it would be for guys who want to go late or undrafted, or even want to be career role players/sixth men.)

I get that MyCareer as it exists now is probably here to say. While I don't quite understand the appeal I recognize that a lot of people like, so I won't bash the mode or the people that enjoy it. Just hope people who want a more 'simulation' (? the use of the word is becoming weird on these boards) experience can look forward to a Connected MyLeague or something of that nature moving forward.

# 63 Moss44 @ 09/25/14 03:12 PM
I love how they're working on MyCareer a ton, but I still the the undrafted thing and the Rivers thing is a bit much.

However, I think this year is a bit of a "growing" year for 2K on the next gen consoles. I am making a bold prediction but I think that next year you will have certain options for the storyline (EX undrafted, first rd, second rd, etc) and there will be several changes that will be for the better.

# 64 spfalla @ 09/25/14 03:14 PM
This is all great but I think the way players progress in MyCareer should be similar to that of FIFA's progression system. Instead of earning points you have to complete certain goals to increase your attributes. For example, If you score 20 points in one game that is +2 to your shoot, and if you get 10 assist in one game that's +2 for assist. Just something to keep in mind next year.

# 65 rbfn04 @ 09/25/14 03:15 PM
"You choose which team to try out for, but you must keep in mind what the depth chart looks like. A handy hub screen gives you a quick glance at the current depth chart as well as the grade you'll need to reach to receive a job offer. If you want to crack the roster of a great team with depth, you will need to have a lights-out performance."

LOVE this

# 66 Bornindamecca @ 09/25/14 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I believe Doc is the only coach who did a voice session so thats why.

People need to start thinking of this more as a story mode and not a career simulator. In a story mode, you have to interact with the players and have to be involved in the events the mode has. You have limited control over what happens in the mode other than the games you play and choices the mode allows you to make.
I think people should do the opposite. If they want a career simulator, let their voices be heard. There are ways to add fluid, robust story content without forcing the user to hold to such a tight script. Knowing that almost everyone is going to turn out as a very good to great player by year two, it's easy to narrow down the story options to a few basic NBA career paths.

Rivalries, bonds with coaches, feuds with upper management and interactions with the media can all add to the story while affecting what happens on the court without handcuffing the user.

People scoff at the idea of simulation in MyCareer, but it's potentially the most realistic mode. After all, you don't control 5 people when you play ball in real life. You do the best you can and hope that's enough to contribute to a win. The different emotions based on your teammates good/bad performances is unique to MyCareer and shouldn't be so easily replaced with a script.

An NBA Career Simulator is a mode worth fighting for, worth speaking up for. The more 2k takes this mode out of people's hands, the less tolerant customers will be for bad storytelling and directing.

Without being belligerent, insulting or dismissive, I'm frankly stating that I don't like the nature and philosophy that MyCareer is taking. You can still have cutscenes with a branching path that has more(not unlimited) player freedom and relies mostly on gameplay.

# 67 RipCityAndy @ 09/25/14 03:31 PM
OK. I'm back on the 2k hype train. 10-7 can't come fast enough.

# 68 "The Veal" @ 09/25/14 03:32 PM
While I'm a diehard offline-MyLEAGUE fan, I'm shocked none of my online-counterparts have brought this up yet. Not knowing how online leagues work at all, what does "regular online league" mean?
Quote:
MyLeague is not online this year, but 2K hopes to add this functionality in the future You can, however, still play in a regular online league.

# 69 Crystar500 @ 09/25/14 03:33 PM
I'm still hyped up, but I had the feeling there would be something in the game that people would have problems with. I hope this Rivers thing was it and not something worse.

I like the undrafted aspect, as well as fighting for a contract, but the Rivers thing is a bit much.

# 70 lakers24 @ 09/25/14 03:38 PM
Everything was cool until that Doc Rivers thing man...I mean, why? Is that truly needed?

# 71 RipCityAndy @ 09/25/14 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
Everything was cool until that Doc Rivers thing man...I mean, why? Is that truly needed?
Sounds like I'm one of the only people here that thinks the Doc Rivers thing is kinda cool... ?

# 72 godylla @ 09/25/14 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityAndy
Sounds like I'm one of the only people here that thinks the Doc Rivers thing is kinda cool... ?
I can see both sides of the argument. I can see how it would take away from the realism, but it isn't going to discourage me from playing the mode.

# 73 lakers24 @ 09/25/14 04:15 PM
Quote:
It's neat, but again, it feels force because I know there is no way in hell he'd coach a team like the Kings or Hawks. Since we start in January and will get FA couldn't they have just had him try to recruit us to the Clippers HARD and he gives us certain things over going to another team(kind of like if you chose to stay with your friend or go with another agent in 2k14).

# 74 syncinatti @ 09/25/14 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I believe Doc is the only coach who did a voice session so thats why.

People need to start thinking of this more as a story mode and not a career simulator. In a story mode, you have to interact with the players and have to be involved in the events the mode has. You have limited control over what happens in the mode other than the games you play and choices the mode allows you to make.
I agree completely.

# 75 Bornindamecca @ 09/25/14 04:24 PM
My issue is not just the realism, but rather how it can go against gameplay. If you take advantage of the new coaching mechanic and form a bond with your coach and go deep into the playoffs or win the championship, having that coach fired for Doc would totally dismiss all of your good decision making and gameplay. Particularly on a system team like the Knicks. If you and Fisher run Jackson's triangle and have a good thing going into year 2, how can bringing in Doc enhance the player's experience?

This was a weird decision, because it goes against some of the other changes they put in, like simming games and having a relationship with your coach.

# 76 jaybrook07 @ 09/25/14 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24
you can look at MyCareer as more of the Story mode of the game. and everything else is more open ended

# 77 timetravelprimer @ 09/25/14 04:29 PM
Guess I'm gonna lean towards creating SF and trying to make that Clippers roster. Bring some European discipline and fundamentals.

# 78 8KB24 @ 09/25/14 04:40 PM
Can anyone copy/paste the text and put in spoilers? I can't access their website.

# 79 Clappington @ 09/25/14 04:46 PM
Me? I like the story mode aspect and the way its heading, yea it has some flaws but none the less its cool af I could understand the Doc Rivers thing but I don't think that can ruin someone experience, as im looking at FIFA and Madden career mode im seeing simple things nothing huge about it almost samething every year here 2k is doing something that no 1 else is doing and im applaud them for that.

# 80 Taer @ 09/25/14 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Okay, now THAT'S a problem. I'm gonna need some more details on that one. Cause there is no reason that Doc Rivers should just be taking over any team that you play for in your second year.
I just might make my player named "Rivers" and become a bastard son... It really depends on how the storyline is written as to whether I will be able to suspend disbelief.

Perhaps if Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and Doc Rivers are all moved to your team.

Or perhaps they should have forced you to be signed with the Clippers in the second year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Not sure how I feel about this. It seems like we're losing more control over how we want to play. If anything, there should be more options, not less. There should be separate attributes for chest passes vs. bounce passes, for example. Will have to see exactly how it's implemented to really know, I guess.
I feel good about it because the way I am reading it is that they are establishing the "floor" of your max development and then allowing you to build your "ceiling" with the badges. It sounds like my desire to build an extreme defensive 3-point shooting point guard will be much more viable this year then in the past because of the new approach.

Quote:
The whole idea of being mentored by Doc Rivers is one I am very excited about - especially since I always play point guards. Just the details in getting to that point are iffy right now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.