Home
Madden NFL 16 News Post

Amazon has just released some of the new features for Madden NFL 16. There are some details on Total Control Passing, receiver and defender controls, playmaker broadcast and more.

Check out the details below and let us know what you think.

Be the playmaker in Madden NFL 16 with all-new controls that allow you to dominate in the battle for air supremacy. New QB mechanics including body-relative throws and touch passes provide unprecedented depth and control while under center. Combined with a new risk/reward catch and pass-defend system, get ready for the biggest WOW moments in franchise history.

KEY FEATURES

New to Madden

Battle for Air Supremacy

Total Control Passing - Place the ball where only your receiver can get it with body-relative throws including high-point, low-point, back-shoulder, and the ever-popular touch pass. Become the ultimate dual-threat and terrorize defenses with new pressure avoidance and QB scramble controls.

Receiver/Defender Controls - Dictate the outcome of each passing play while the ball is in the air for the first time ever in Madden. For receivers, go for the highlight reel with the ‘aggressive’ catch or move the chains with the ‘possession catch’. On defense, disrupt the outcome of each play using the new ‘play ball’ and ‘hit receiver’ mechanics. Receivers and defenders deliver the most authentic exchanges to date with new press and zone-chuck interactions, contextual hand-fighting, and a variety of 2-man interactions at the catch point including pass interference penalties, tip balls, knock outs and simultaneous possession catches.

Playmaker Broadcast

Integrated Broadcast Graphics – Your playmaker highlight reel has arrived with new player spotlights, dynamic goals and achievements, and innovative on-the-field cameras bringing you closer to the game than ever before. Making plays has never been this much fun and rewarding!

GAME MODES

Connected Franchise – Whether playing solo or online with friends, your quest to build an NFL dynasty comes complete with a brand new scouting and draft system as well as all-new dynamic goals throughout each game. Develop players with Game Prep and build your teams’ confidence through performance and front office transactions. Balance keeping players’ confidence up, to increase abilities and build player XP.

Madden Ultimate Team – Build your ultimate team with your favorite NFL players from the past and present while dominating the opposition in head-to-head seasons, solo challenges, and more. Earn coins to buy packs through the online store, where you can trade and auction off items on the road to building the Ultimate Team. Engage with the NFL year round thanks to live content and service updates in the fastest growing mode in Madden.

Skills Trainer – With 60+ tutorials and drills, Skills Trainer focuses on teaching the strategy behind different passing and run concepts, as well as how to play Madden for new users to the series. Fan favorite Gauntlet mode returns with all-new Boss Battles, Extra Life challenges and opportunities to jump or fall levels in a single play.

UPDATE: Pre-order info added based on details posted on EA's site.

"Madden NFL 16 is now available for pre-order at all major retailers, and fans who place their orders now will receive $15 in Ultimate Team content including 10 Pro Packs and a Playmaker Pack for use in Madden Ultimate Team (MUT). The Playmaker Pack grants fans with an Elite player who they can use to give their Ultimate Team an extra boost right out of the gate and start making the huge plays right away.

Those looking for even more content can upgrade to the Deluxe Edition, which ups the ante with 36 Pro Packs and a Playmaker Pack, all for $69.99."

Game: Madden NFL 16Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 24 - View All
Madden NFL 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 RACZILLA @ 05/15/15 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I have to disagree. I don't think the competitive gaming community would react well to any game mechanic which could affect their ability to win a tournament which competitors had zero control over. The competitive gaming community typically wants a 100% skill based game, not one where the game can potentially decide who wins solely based on essentially a dice roll without any user influence over the result. Imagine if in Call Of Duty, for example, if guns randomly jammed in online play without any warning. This would be incredibly frustrating to a lot of people.l, regardless whether guns jamming is a realistic addition.

Personally I'd welcome random events like bad snaps. I don't anticipate ever getting them in Madden, at least as random events, on account of the e-sports scene, however. I honestly don't anticipate any new mechanics in Madden which rely solely on dice rolls. That's not how the game has been built to this point. If we ever get something like bad snaps, it'll be on account of a new game mechanic specific to triggering shotgun snaps, not solely a ratings check and a dice roll.
Agree with what you're saying in the sense that competitive gamers probably want an even playing field and an opportunity to win based on skill, not random bad luck.

It seems like a solvable problem though? Plenty of games have a set of standard competitive settings that are used. I don't know that there's any reason that couldn't be the case here and people can opt into the experience that best fits them.

# 162 CM Hooe @ 05/15/15 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACZILLA
Agree with what you're saying in the sense that competitive gamers probably want an even playing field and an opportunity to win based on skill, not random bad luck.

It seems like a solvable problem though? Plenty of games have a set of standard competitive settings that are used. I don't know that there's any reason that couldn't be the case here and people can opt into the experience that best fits them.
It's a solvable problem, yes. It's debatable if it's a problem Tiburon is interested in solving said problem or more importantly if they even see their current approach without random events as a problem at all. In fact, they could see random events as a problem itself.

Particularly when people start investing their money into things like Ultimate Team, I'm sure the first player who loses a game on account of a bad shotgun snap (decided purely by a dice roll) and as a result doesn't have enough coins to buy new contracts to renew his MUT team's top quarterback and receiver without spending real-world money would be absolutely pissed.

Poor team management on the user's part? Perhaps. But that's not how the user is going to see the events in this case.

# 163 RACZILLA @ 05/15/15 10:28 AM
Sure. There are some areas of the game where that stuff could potentially be frustrating. Maybe it doesn't belong somewhere like MUT.

On the other hand, I do think some of the subtle detail oriented things that could be added into the mix would be appreciated by a lot of players. One of the things that stands out to me with great sports games is the notion that anything can happen at any time. The occasional randomness or even contextual variety (e.g. stuff that could happen in weather) adds a lot of value and can help keep players invested. Even people who don't buy the game every year will dig that kind of stuff. "Did you see that crazy thing that just happened?!"

Couldn't really speculate on how much value a developer puts on it some of those things. If they did want to add them, the part where there's an ability to opt out of the experience for MUT and/or competitive may not be that heavy a lift.

Part of my broader point though is that I read a lot of conversation along the lines of "X can't happen because of group Y that's part of the community." A lot of times there's a way to address that stuff, but it does depend on whether or not a developer sees the benefit in the first place.

# 164 m1ke_nyc @ 05/15/15 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron
Truth. My only beef would be, if you have botched snaps and all that, at least let it be botched if I mess up somehow. Like, I have to be paying attention to some kind of control when Im snapping or itll get screwed up. I feel you, it should be in the game, I just dont wanna lose games cause the CPU decided to be random without me havin a chance to do somethin about it.
But how far should that go then ? I could pass the ball to a wide open receiver on the last play of the Superbowl and he slips and falls. Should slips be taken out of the game since you can't always be in control ? Should penalties be taken out since I could have the game winning TD called back due to a penalty ? There are 11 men on the field you can't control them all. That's what makes football unpredictable at times. The snap isn't guaranteed to be successful.

# 165 tyberious4now @ 05/15/15 11:01 AM
I think we need to stop going round and round on the Madden merry go round each year....

It would be great if the Dev's could interact with some of the Maddenites on here and help to build a true gaming football sim..We take a census on what we like and some OS'ers on here can relay our wants....

It would be a win win for both....

# 166 howboutdat @ 05/15/15 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
I think we need to stop going round and round on the Madden merry go round each year....

It would be great if the Dev's could interact with some of the Maddenites on here and help to build a true gaming football sim..We take a census on what we like and some OS'ers on here can relay our wants....

that would be great, however , if its not MUT, EA top wigs dont seem to care.

# 167 michaelhalljr @ 05/15/15 11:20 AM
If we can't create and share draft classes we hopefully can at least edit drafted players. That's really all I'm hoping for, really liked 15.

# 168 The JareBear @ 05/15/15 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneamongthefence
I think the tournament group that everyone thinks so poorly of would welcome random occurrences in games. Many times these guys are more knowledgeable about football philosophy. They do use exploits however many seem to know and point out how Madden is flawed and why stuff like that shouldn't happen or be allowed. I'm sure many would jump for joy as more SIM elements are put in. I think SIM vs tourney is a bogus argument.
Yeah, I have to disagree with you as well.

Tourney guys freaked about the QB inaccuracy last year. When they showed Russel Wilson throwing a ball in the dirt on a hitch to the sideline the youtubers went nuts. I was not surprised to see QB inaccuracy nerfed in the retail version from what they showed at E3.

None of those guy want to lose a game because of a botched snap or a QB missing on a difficult pass. They don't want realism at all. It's an arcade game to them, in my opinion. A lot of people claim to want realism until it happens to them. You see this a lot with dropped passes. Dropped passes happen in real life a lot more often than you think, but some times if someone sees more than one or two in a game of Madden it's suddenly a big issue.

I'm very interested in the passing mechanics this year, based on this feature list from GS.

If a bad QB sails one into the sidelines trying to throw a back shoulder fade once in awhile, I'll be happy, if everything is spot on regardless of the QB, well, I see a big problem.

# 169 roadman @ 05/15/15 12:15 PM
Quote:

Tried that once with Ian and Phil and it didn't work out.

Plus, now they have GCers that go down to Florida during the cycle.

# 170 STLRams @ 05/15/15 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwo4Life75
Sounds like another Madden with bells and whistles and still probably not a true simulation! Fix the broken penalty system and EA watch a real NFL broadcast that's the way it should be done! I'm hoping I'm wrong about all of this and EA proves me wrong!

I agree, I'm hoping this year won't be just bells and whistles. Madden 15 was a good game, I was surprised how much I did like it but at this point Madden 16 has to really improve in some key areas. The new passing mechanics sound interesting but at this point, if we don't get WR/DB interactions in coverage and offensive and defensive penalties actually being called on the regular, its pointless to even bring up the new passing features to me. From a presentation standpoint I'm hoping to see some new camera angles, better instant replays/stats and an expanded halftime show with full highlights and commentary breaking down the highlights. Madden 15 finally broke ground on this, really hoping Madden 16 expands on it and actually WOW me.

# 171 therealsmallville @ 05/15/15 01:07 PM
As usual, it all sounds good & I'll hope for the best, expect the worst, and it'll probably fall somewhere in between.

I'm still hoping they overhaul passing someday to where the QB throws to a spot on the field & not necessarily to the WR, if that makes any sense. I think the other company's game had this feature.

Another huge item on my personal "hope for" list that will never be included regards kicking. I think I'll be in the minority here, but hear me out: when you're throwing a deep ball, the QB automatically applies power to it based on throwing power, right? We can decide which receiver, and we can use the left stick to put some direction on it, but they only throw as hard as their TP rating lets them. So why do we control the power on FG's? When a kicker in real life lines up for a 50 yarder, I'm sure he kicks it as hard as he can...why not let Kicking Power determine how far my kicker can kick? Let us control the direction like normal, but make the power behind it automatic based on ratings. I think that would be more realistic. I've missed FG's online due to lag and the power not registering correctly...I propose that we only control the direction, and instead of controlling power give us some way to control the snap. Perhaps press A/X to snap, press A/X again to catch & place the ball, and then the kicker kicks just like the QB throws. Thoughts?

As for WR/DB interactions, we've all been wanting this for a while. Here's hoping it really does create some PI's correctly. I think I could live with *some* warping & other oddities that you really only see in slo-mo if it results in more penalties being called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 172 aholbert32 @ 05/15/15 01:17 PM
Quote:

Yeah....they tried that a few years ago and the sim crowd ran them off. This game is too popular and polarizing for that to work.

****, we have guys on the NBA 2k team who used to work for OS and they are hesitant to post here regularly because of how hardcore and demanding the posters are here.

The only games that this has worked are the ones that are smaller and lower profile. With The Show, the dev team solicits input from us regularly but that game isnt even close to the popularity of Madden.

Its not an EA thing either because the EA UFC team regularly visits the forums and actually implemented many of the changes we suggested.

# 173 aholbert32 @ 05/15/15 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcodbf2
Exactly how much warping are we going to see with these new DB/WR interactions? We already see tons of it on blocks. Are we now going to see a DB warp 5 yards to begin an interaction animation with a WR to fight for a pass? I have less than no hope that this will be implemented in an acceptable way. It is EA Tiburon after all. I cant remember the last thing they implemented that was done in an acceptable way.

Not sure why total control passing is a leading feature. Games as far back as the xbox and ps2 did that and possibly even earlier but I cant remember.
Its time we cut back on the hyperbole. That is an absolutely ridiculous statement and the type of statement that is borderline trolling. The game has been out for 26 yrs. They have added features every year. There isnt one thing they have done that hasnt been implemented in an acceptable way? Really?

# 174 DeuceDouglas @ 05/15/15 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
None of those guy want to lose a game because of a botched snap or a QB missing on a difficult pass. They don't want realism at all. It's an arcade game to them, in my opinion. A lot of people claim to want realism until it happens to them. You see this a lot with dropped passes. Dropped passes happen in real life a lot more often than you think, but some times if someone sees more than one or two in a game of Madden it's suddenly a big issue.
Couldn't agree more. It's like one someone else said, they'd be okay with botched snaps if they could control the outcome. Everybody is okay with the things that might make for a more realistic game as long as they have a way to make sure that they never happen. And maybe that's okay but it just continues to draw a murky line where everything becomes dependent upon user input and less and less on actual ratings and realism.

I look at it like other sports games. If I have a pitcher batting or Shaq shooting threes, it doesn't matter how well timed swing or jump shot is, the results aren't going to be pretty. If I put a 37 OVR center in the game, I expect to have some bad snaps. But there's so many people that just want to be able to bring in Tebow and make him look like Rodgers and think that's okay.

# 175 vrtkolman @ 05/15/15 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Yeah, I have to disagree with you as well.

Tourney guys freaked about the QB inaccuracy last year. When they showed Russel Wilson throwing a ball in the dirt on a hitch to the sideline the youtubers went nuts. I was not surprised to see QB inaccuracy nerfed in the retail version from what they showed at E3.

I'm very interested in the passing mechanics this year, based on this feature list from GS.

If a bad QB sails one into the sidelines trying to throw a back shoulder fade once in awhile, I'll be happy, if everything is spot on regardless of the QB, well, I see a big problem.
I see their point but why not just make that "chance" portion of the game configurable. You could turn it off during online play but leave it in when you play your offline franchise. Nerfing QB inaccuracy tells me they had it in the game at point and then turned it down/removed it. It shouldn't be hard to make it configurable.

# 176 DeuceDouglas @ 05/15/15 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
I see their point but why not just make that "chance" portion of the game configurable. You could turn it off during online play but leave it in when you play your offline franchise. Nerfing QB inaccuracy tells me they had it in the game at point and then turned it down/removed it. It shouldn't be hard to make it configurable.
That would be the simplest solution but it would only really affect the franchise player and the online league players. In my mind, it would undoubtedly get automatically turned off in online play and MUT and I think that alone is the reason why it wouldn't even really be thought about.

# 177 drugsbunny @ 05/15/15 02:26 PM
I can not wait to see what BS they force feed us this year as they make their attempts to convince us that they are being innovative and not just copying and pasting the same codes from year to year. Did anyone else realize that EA lost a lawsuit that requires them to pay royalties to a programmer who wrote a code back in 1989 that research showed is still in existence as of today in Madden. To me that's just sad..

# 178 CM Hooe @ 05/15/15 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsbunny
Did anyone else realize that EA lost a lawsuit that requires them to pay royalties to a programmer who wrote a code back in 1989 that research showed is still in existence as of today in Madden. To me that's just sad..
That 2013 judgement of $11 million you are referring to involving Robin Antonick (a programmer on one of the original John Madden Football games) and EA Sports was entirely overturned and reversed in a California district court in 2014.

# 179 vrtkolman @ 05/15/15 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugsbunny
I can not wait to see what BS they force feed us this year as they make their attempts to convince us that they are being innovative and not just copying and pasting the same codes from year to year. Did anyone else realize that EA lost a lawsuit that requires them to pay royalties to a programmer who wrote a code back in 1989 that research showed is still in existence as of today in Madden. To me that's just sad..
Yeah that is not surprising. It also shows how difficult it is for developers to work on something like this. When software isn't re-written after 25+ years, the code base is going to be horrific to manage. It's probably impossible to do anything but minor enhancements/bug fixes without breaking the game in unknown ways. It also makes sense why penalty sliders affect gameplay so much.

Also on this subject, I can't imagine "top-tier" developers want anything to do with this game. It can't be fun at all to work on this. A re-write is desperately needed.

# 180 RexDEAFootball @ 05/15/15 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
I just dont get how they can look themselves in the mirror year after year, playing pet and repeat trying to claim something is new. This was also a supposed feature of madden 13, never worked quite right but , here is to hoping this year it works right.
Let me clarify this for you guys. We have added new functionality to total control passing this year. We are building additional layers onto what was already there.

The new passing mechanics this year are the ability to throw low and high passes (relative to the receivers body) we also added touch passes which have a higher arc and a sharper drop. It is used for putting balls over the heads of underneath zone defenders and in front of deep zone defenders.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.