Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

It's fair to say people in these parts are hungry for any and every piece of NBA 2K16 info at this point. So Zach Timmerman, a producer on NBA 2K16, rolled into his office on Sunday morning. He noticed his version of the game had finished building and was like, "oh snap, guess that means I didn't break anything major by adding these new animations. Time to tweet!" (Okay, I don't actually know if he said any of this but go with me here.)

But okay, on a slightly more serious note obviously seeing this little snapshot of the development process is good times. When marketers hype up the fact that a new sports game has "hundreds of new animations!" it sort of gets lost on most of us because we can't really discern what that means and what they really impacted. But when it's specific like this, it at least gives folks something easier to grasp. In other words, it maybe does not sound as "wow-worthy" but it actually means something much more tangible.

So this sounds like good news to us as the post-up game is always in need of love as it's all about moves, double moves and variety overall to keep the cat and mouse game going.

How did you folks feel about the post game anyway in NBA 2K15?

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 RusDids29 @ 06/08/15 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Zach was totally blasting Juvenile's "back that *** up" while working on this. I thought it was weird it was blasted on loop but it all makes sense now.
Hahaha, good one. Too funny

# 22 2_headedmonster @ 06/08/15 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
No disrespect to what you guys do but I have an example of what I want to see from athletic strong bigs like Dwight and deandre Jordan. They do this stuff all season

http://xboxclips.com/Teebone21/4a050...a-c95468364231
I like how that whole scenario played out. From the box out being quickly discarded to the monster jam.

I'm not sure either of those are possible in 2k15.

# 23 stillfeelme @ 06/08/15 11:31 PM
Hopefully this means signature post moves. The post game is definitely a wish list item of mine and I am interested in seeing what they add.

# 24 RusDids29 @ 06/09/15 12:35 AM
There is a post game in 2k15... Drop steps, fadeways, hooks, post stepback, up and unders, post hop fadeways, pivot drive dribbles, post spin lay ins. It's all there. Go to my Xbox gamer tag RusDids29 and look and my saved clips. It's all there I do them every game I play. U have to pull them off in the right situation or set them up appropriately. The post game is legit in 2k15

# 25 stillfeelme @ 06/09/15 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusDids29
There is a post game in 2k15... Drop steps, fadeways, hooks, post stepback, up and unders, post hop fadeways, pivot drive dribbles, post spin lay ins. It's all there. Go to my Xbox gamer tag RusDids29 and look and my saved clips. It's all there I do them every game I play. U have to pull them off in the right situation or set them up appropriately. The post game is legit in 2k15
Yeah it is there in 2K15 it just doesn't have a real signature feel to it. There are really no signature animations in the post. Jump hooks are all about the same. The ball fakes are about the same.

Jefferson isn't captured correctly, Dwight isn't either

# 26 RusDids29 @ 06/09/15 03:03 AM
True that bro

# 27 nickthemajin @ 06/09/15 03:58 AM
Quote:
No disrespect to what you guys do but I have an example of what I want to see from athletic strong bigs like Dwight and deandre Jordan. They do this stuff all season

http://xboxclips.com/Teebone21/4a050...a-c95468364231

Again 2k is by far the better game but I want this to be possible by players with the ability
Absolutely. This this hundred times this. Especially when playing with players like Shaq, Dwight and Whiteside. It's nearly impossible to standing dunk in this game if you have even just a little bit of cover.

# 28 svit @ 06/09/15 05:04 AM
I hope that the post defender gets new animation too... I hope in 2k16 it won't be possible to gain ground simply by switching from dribble mode to post mode. For example in 2k15 you can get from 3pt line to the middle of the key simply by entering to post mode.

# 29 billll @ 06/09/15 07:58 AM
I personally hated the post game in both 2k14 and 15. Felt as though it was kinda stripped down and the moves on the shot stick were difficult to execute. On top of that it was almost as if players had no weight and got stripped way to easily. I've been playing 2k13 on the PC and the post game feels MUCH better. Love the hop steps and moves on the 'B' or 'Circle' button. Hopefully they can restore the post game in 2k16 because right now post-first bigs are useless in 2k15.

# 30 adamspag @ 06/09/15 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billll
I personally hated the post game in both 2k14 and 15. Felt as though it was kinda stripped down and the moves on the shot stick were difficult to execute. On top of that it was almost as if players had no weight and got stripped way to easily. I've been playing 2k13 on the PC and the post game feels MUCH better. Love the hop steps and moves on the 'B' or 'Circle' button. Hopefully they can restore the post game in 2k16 because right now post-first bigs are useless in 2k15.
I don't know about being useless, under-powered yeah, I thinks its just a case of 3 point shooting being so easy and effective that there is no point going inside in 2k15, but I agree with you for the most part.

To be honest I wish they put more emphasis on the post hook for bigs, give it a shot meter, give it a few badges. Giving it a shot meter would let it take advantage of the "deadeye" and "The bank is open" badges, as well as giving it some counter-play with the post lock down badge. At the moment the post hook is like one of the only shots in the game that doesn't synergise with any badges.

# 31 billll @ 06/09/15 08:35 AM
Quote:
Can not agree. Post moves in 2k are excellent this year. You seem just to want them easy to excecute instead of learning the combinations in practice mode.post game sucess is dependent on what the defender is doing and using the right move to counter
To each his own I guess. In my opinion the shot stick is too finicky to have such subtle variations leading to different post moves. Specifically, things like the turnaround and the step-back required such similar inputs that they would often get mixed up.

In addition to this, even if you were able to nail down the movements exactly, floor spacing meant that you wouldn't get time to execute. Wing players were able to double and recover so easily that you would often get stripped or closed out on when shooting the three.

As someone who has been playing inside out since I can remember, this makes for a frustrating experience. You shouldn't have to feel like you're fighting with the controls to run your offense. Also there should be a risk in double teaming. Great inside out teams made the defense "pick their poison". Either you double the big and give up a three, or, the big goes one on one and dominates. As earlier stated floor spacing in 2k15 doesn't make defenses pay for doubling the post.

/rant lol my bad for the extended post

# 32 BigBadTom @ 06/09/15 12:03 PM
The post game needs to be improved in a lot of ways but most of them should be easy or quick fixes. 1st off you can't take advantage of small men in the paint. When you have a great big man backing down a smaller guy who got mismatched with you, the game doesn't allow you to take advantage of the size difference. In fact its a major risk posting up little guys because they often pick your pocket when you get ready to shoot. The major thing that needs to change is the factors that determine whether a shot is made or not--it seems that unless your shot is blocked, the defense has no effect on the likelihood of making the shot. Even if the defender doesn't make an effort to block the jump hook, the shot still will miss around half of the time regardless if you have an elite inside scoring player or not. The idea of an open shot vs a well defended shot is taken into account by 2k with jump shots but seemingly disappears when talking about the post game. Getting open should make your shot much more likely to go in but this doesn't really happen in 2k15. There are also countless times where a big man might take a terrible shot in the post but has it drop anyway regardless of the defender. Players should be rewarded for getting a defender to bite on a fake or get a great open look down low. User input has a very low impact on the outcome of the post game unfortunately. Thats my major gripe with the game

# 33 RusDids29 @ 06/09/15 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billll
Quote:
Can not agree. Post moves in 2k are excellent this year. You seem just to want them easy to excecute instead of learning the combinations in practice mode.post game sucess is dependent on what the defender is doing and using the right move to counter
Could not agree with you more Dream. U have to practice the moves to pull them off. The hook shot is easily contested when u shoot it posting someone straight up. U have to do a setup move before you pull it off. Like a shoulder to the chest or the should fake then do the hook immediately after to have the post player disengaged. The post play is legit this year and is only going to get better.

# 34 Vni @ 06/09/15 01:32 PM
Post game may need some balancing though.

Anyway it always bothered me playing in the post with a guy like Aldridge. He has a very elegant way of backing down his opponent where he stays straight up. Posting him up feels nothing like him in 2K15. Very happy about that news.

Thoses kind of details will take 2K16 to the next level.

# 35 Goffs @ 06/09/15 01:56 PM
What about post defense? Defense needs a LOT of love to...

Anyway...I'm hoping 2k has power backdowns like Shaq used to do.

# 36 stillfeelme @ 06/09/15 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Post game may need some balancing though.

Anyway it always bothered me playing in the post with a guy like Aldridge. He has a very elegant way of backing down his opponent where he stays straight up. Posting him up feels nothing like him in 2K15. Very happy about that news.

Thoses kind of details will take 2K16 to the next level.
Yeah that is my thing there is nothing signature to really distinguish the players.

We have signature shot forms I can't see why we wouldn't have signature post moves

# 37 Pokes404 @ 06/09/15 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Yeah that is my thing there is nothing signature to really distinguish the players.

We have signature shot forms I can't see why we wouldn't have signature post moves
Yeah, here's a video I'd seen where you can see the different flavor these guys have in the post. They need to have different versions of backdowns and fake spins. Some guys stand up straighter and have very deliberate dribbles, some guys get low and pound the ball, some do fakes with their shoulders, while others actually show the ball when they fake a direction.
https://youtu.be/mcULJMJFuNs

Watching Gasol, they really need to add a "high-hands faceup" from the post. He keeps the ball high to protect it from guards, and so he can quickly shoot the jumper without having to gather. It also allows him to quickly throw the ball over the top of the defense if he sees someone come free.

And just to throw one in from a guy I'm more familiar with, Enes Kanter backs down by getting low and dribbling the ball quickly. It's a much different look than a Gasol or Duncan.
https://youtu.be/kDPl44f2SdY?t=26s

# 38 Back2honda @ 06/09/15 02:57 PM
How is the defensive side? 2K15 defense sucks for the most part. I get dunked on or there is a foul called. It doesn't matter if I have good positioning, is great shot blocker or whatnot. Really frustrating to play man-to-man defense when you don't get rewarded. I feel 2k makes offense so overpowering to make people happy as everybody loves to score. I want balance in both.

# 39 adamspag @ 06/09/15 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Yeah, here's a video I'd seen where you can see the different flavor these guys have in the post. They need to have different versions of backdowns and fake spins. Some guys stand up straighter and have very deliberate dribbles, some guys get low and pound the ball, some do fakes with their shoulders, while others actually show the ball when they fake a direction.
https://youtu.be/mcULJMJFuNs

Watching Gasol, they really need to add a "high-hands faceup" from the post. He keeps the ball high to protect it from guards, and so he can quickly shoot the jumper without having to gather. It also allows him to quickly throw the ball over the top of the defense if he sees someone come free.

And just to throw one in from a guy I'm more familiar with, Enes Kanter backs down by getting low and dribbling the ball quickly. It's a much different look than a Gasol or Duncan.
https://youtu.be/kDPl44f2SdY?t=26s
Those are beautiful videos, especially the Al Jefferson part, finesse + strength just great to watch.

# 40 blues rocker @ 06/10/15 12:42 PM
more contextual animations are almost always a good thing - as long as the animations are implemented properly, are responsive, and don't hamper user control. seeing how well 2k handled the animations in 2k15, i'm not too worried.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.