Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

The official NBA 2K Twitter account posted a picture today of cover athlete Anthony Davis getting body scanned. The promise is that it will give players "more authenticity than ever before."

Obviously that's a bit vague, but this is not the first time we've heard about this type of scanning. Back in January, we pointed out that a couple NBA teams posted similar images on their official Twitter accounts. In other words, the NBA 2K folks have been making their rounds to get this done.

It's hard to say if this is to try and push more realistic wingspans, more realistic tattoos, more body types, or something else even deeper than that. It also makes you wonder if you will have more body types to choose from when creating players.

Either way, more authenticity is never a bad thing, we'll just have to see how this all comes together.

UPDATE: Body scans continued...

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 JBulls @ 07/03/15 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Hopefully they have enough variety of body scans that can be used for other players.

Wait...Might not work because if the tats? Guess 2k can just use the current body types for those that weren't scanned.
Models can easily be retextured and remapped so I hope they get rid of the current ones entirely.

# 62 JohnnyCash2015 @ 07/03/15 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
I'm really hoping this is more than just visually upgrading the game.

I mean obviously it's cool that people have different bodies but I think guys with huge shoulders like Dwight and AD should have the advantages them shoulders give them...

same with blocking/contesting shots with a longer wingspan.

Anyone remember NBA Street on the 360 and PS3 when you created your guy and they let you choose a face of an NBA player then you could morph it?

I think they should do the same with bodies, even tattoos this year.

Like take Lebron's body type and even choose his ink to go with it.

And I would hope this could translate into the association modes too...

Off the top of my head, Thad Young when he was younger on the Sixers was just like Jerami Grant is now: skinny, but long and had broad shoulders. Meaning he had the template to put weight and strength on. Look at Thad now...he's pretty built but he's still quicker than most 4s.

It would be cool to bulk up rookies or slim down veterans like Shaq (tried lol).

I don't know how far this technology can actually go, but I remember older 2K's if you put your weight past a certain amount your body would become thicker...so it's not like it's never been done before.

NBA live used to do this back in the day, but I doubt 2k would allow that in today's era because of the NBAPA.

I remember guys like Eddie curry getting bigger in the offseason randomly, it was pretty cool. Think it was back in NBA live 04 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 63 HowDareI @ 07/03/15 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash2015
NBA live used to do this back in the day, but I doubt 2k would allow that in today's era because of the NBAPA.

I remember guys like Eddie curry getting bigger in the offseason randomly, it was pretty cool. Think it was back in NBA live 04 or so.

Yea I'm pretty sure in Live 05 Josh Smith grew 2 times and he became legit 7' and played center for me.
It's not fake either...Lebron is huge compared to his rookie year...Antetokoumpo and Paul George are both growing...
Almost every center bulks up after a few seasons.

# 64 JohnnyCash2015 @ 07/03/15 02:40 PM
Quote:
Yea I'm pretty sure in Live 05 Josh Smith grew 2 times and he became legit 7' and played center for me.

It's not fake either...Lebron is huge compared to his rookie year...Antetokoumpo and Paul George are both growing...

Almost every center bulks up after a few seasons.

I would like to see some random generation of height and weight, for drafted players, not the authentic ones, I think that's probably the best way to do it

# 65 woshihuxingtan @ 07/03/15 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Ive sat in church with Tyson Chandler before. Hes really just a tall skinny guy to be honest. Pics aside he doesnt look abnormal in everyday clothes because of this lol
Still shocked by that pics, I still can't imagine that skinny guy in that pic is Tyson Chandler...

# 66 23 @ 07/03/15 05:26 PM
To be honest he has gained some weight

I do wonder if they were able to catch up to him though... those Iverson NBA Jerseys would look ridiculous on him

# 67 Goffs @ 07/03/15 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woshihuxingtan
Still shocked by that pics, I still can't imagine that skinny guy in that pic is Tyson Chandler...
Skinny? He's looking pretty buffed in that pic....it's the scrawny legs that's throwing me off....

Anyway...I'm looking forward to the news on which teams joined the body scan sessions.

# 68 AceDawg5 @ 07/04/15 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
How exactly would they use this on legends, mens that have retired tens of years ago.
Obviously they're not gonna call Sidney Moncrief in for a scan lol. I'm talking more along the lines of these scans allowing for more body type choices for legends as well as current players and generated players. This should create more variety in player types.

# 69 mykull85 @ 07/05/15 02:32 PM
I know people are worried this is just a visual enhancement but if it is the "two words" that 2k discussed then remember he also said it was driving the AI programmers crazy(thinking collision detection).

I actually think this is a major step if we are getting body scans that are done right. Remember back when 2k only had a few guys with Signature shots and dribble moves like Kobe and McGrady? Now everyone has there own which really enhances the game. It will probably take a couple years to nail down but I'm all for innovation.

WHen thI think different body types would be a huge improvement.

# 70 Find_the_Door @ 07/08/15 07:24 AM
Please get Meyers Leonards new hair style in!

Also Noah Vonleh, and Allen Crabbe.Attachment 102027Attachment 102028Attachment 102029

# 71 JUSTlFIED @ 07/08/15 12:39 PM
Quote:
I'm really hoping this is more than just visually upgrading the game.

I mean obviously it's cool that people have different bodies but I think guys with huge shoulders like Dwight and AD should have the advantages them shoulders give them...
same with blocking/contesting shots with a longer wingspan.

Anyone remember NBA Street on the 360 and PS3 when you created your guy and they let you choose a face of an NBA player then you could morph it?
I think they should do the same with bodies, even tattoos this year.
Like take Lebron's body type and even choose his ink to go with it.

And I would hope this could translate into the association modes too...
Off the top of my head, Thad Young when he was younger on the Sixers was just like Jerami Grant is now: skinny, but long and had broad shoulders. Meaning he had the template to put weight and strength on. Look at Thad now...he's pretty built but he's still quicker than most 4s.

It would be cool to bulk up rookies or slim down veterans like Shaq (tried lol).

I don't know how far this technology can actually go, but I remember older 2K's if you put your weight past a certain amount your body would become thicker...so it's not like it's never been done before.
Im actually surprise 2K doesnt do this. I wonder this every year. Besides tats, which may have legal reasons.

Why arent the body styles, hair styles, and facial features that are use on the NBA Player allowed for use on our MyCareer Player?

# 72 edubbs @ 07/15/15 01:17 PM
Looks like mouthpieces may be in for 2k16.

They got Steph scanned chewing on his mouthpiece. Would be a nice little touch.

https://instagram.com/p/5H81kCH6g7/

# 73 youvalss @ 07/15/15 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs

Nice, hopefully it's true. Will add to the authenticity.

Also, looks like armpit hair scans are under way. Finally!

# 74 VinnyVegas28 @ 07/15/15 01:32 PM
I am looking forward to edit body types for the classic players as well. Get tired of seeing a Shaq that compares to other guys...there was no comparison. Really interested to hear about the classic players and teams added. Love the fact that body scans are in. One of my biggest issues with 2k15.. getting excited for more info to drop!

# 75 Eman5805 @ 07/15/15 10:29 PM
Quote:

That's like getting that lower jaw thing from Kobe in a few years ago.

Would absolutely LOVE this.

But it can't just be a static part of the model, right? Chris Paul does this a lot too with his mouthpiece, but he also will take it out when eh barks out commands and such.

Man, I'm really awaiting some news to drop that I can chew on. Of course, that also means fiends will chew it up, but whatever.

Good things and those who wait and all.

# 76 eko718 @ 07/15/15 10:32 PM
I'd like to hear if this level of attention has also been given to courts and arenas. There have been several inaccurate and poorly rendered courts over the last few years.

# 77 juinu @ 07/16/15 10:09 AM
Very cool. I wonder if Westbrook's Live endorsement make it harder for 2k to get him in for scanning? Vice versa for Live with Curry,Harden,Davis?

# 78 CashmereThinker @ 07/17/15 02:50 PM
Quote:

2K finally motion capturing Steph but will still find a way to ruin his shooting form.

# 79 Jrocc23 @ 07/17/15 06:10 PM
Mouth pieces isn't a big addition, but I would love to see mouthpieces added.

# 80 psyberkayos @ 07/18/15 08:13 PM
So will we be able to 3D print an NBA player?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.